Sign in to follow this  
hyperv6

The Scoop on The G8 Being built in North America

78 posts in this topic

hyperv6    774

Contrary to some people reporting there are no plans to bring the G8 To North America the opposite is quite true. At least according to Bob.

Bob Lutz has stated the following and it answers some of our questions on where and why.

"The G8 will be assembled in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. But it could be built on this continent".

"It is highly likely that as we move to higher volumes for the global rear-drive architecture, we will begin to produce" in North America, said GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz. "Importing from Australia at this point is a transitional phase. It permitted us to get the car quickly and for a minimum of investment."

Also quoted by John Larson "The G8 will meet the growing demand for rear-drive cars," said John Larson, Pontiac general manager.

The G8 will be offered only as a sedan and will be priced to compete with the Dodge Charger, also a rear-drive sedan.

The Chevrolet Camaro will be the second North American application of the rear-drive architecture. That car goes on sale in early 2009, followed six to 12 months later by the redesigned Chevrolet Impala.

So folks it looks like the G8 is going to be built down under for now due to the fact there is no place to build it here this early with out a large cost of shutting lines down to build this car when the Chevys were not ready yet.

Also keep in mind that the Zeta is flexable enough that if the need for Camaro's or Impalas is high they could keep the G8 down under where Holden has the room giving Chevy needed the room In Canada. That is the nice part of this car as it can be built in either factory with little change over. This is the new way GM will operate and it will pay off in the long run.

As for a all new reskinned G8 car built here I think we will have to wait. But expect a GXP to be here a year after intro with a LS3 and many HSV parts chosen to make it a competitor for the SRT Dodge. This car may include more Ground FX, spoilers, Bigger brakes and tires.

Northstar    11

When Oshawa gets converted, they're going to need something besides the Impala, Camaro, and Lucerne to fill the 500k capacity. The G8 would be a logical vehicle to be built there.

ocnblu    733
Yes it would, and in the meantime, I hope some sheetmetal revisions are on the drawing board.

Dsuupr    12

I'm not so sure that a 30 mpg Impala & Camaro wouldn't put the plant near capacity. If done right, and if it gets 30 mpg, the Impala could easily hit 300,000+ units, leaving little capacity left for the Camaro and Lucerne.

evok    0

Contrary to some people reporting there are no plans to bring the G8 To North America the opposite is quite true. At least according to Bob.

Could, maybe, possible, considered are not absolutes.

Hudson    16

When Oshawa gets converted, they're going to need something besides the Impala, Camaro, and Lucerne to fill the 500k capacity. The G8 would be a logical vehicle to be built there.

The plans as I've read them have the Impala, Camaro, Lucerne, and Cadillac DTS produced in volumes of just over 500,000 units at the Oshawa plant with no spare room.

autoeng    0

GM hasn't announced yet what they are planning to build in the Spring Hill plant. The money for the new paint shop has been allocated and the original plan was to put in tooling flexible enough to build vehicles as long as full-size. They should be announcing something later this year.

evok    0

The plans as I've read them have the Impala, Camaro, Lucerne, and Cadillac DTS produced in volumes of just over 500,000 units at the Oshawa plant with no spare room.

Updates I have seen are under 400k now for the 3 vehicles plus the Cadillac large car replacement.

Carguy    20

As mutch as I would like for the G8 to be built in the U.S. I dont mind them now or in the future being built down under. They build GREAT CARS down there so for their own good the G8 could remain sourced from there easly. They should keep a good production number of these the next GTO and the Ute in the Ausi plant for Holden's own good and build the next Imp-Cami and large Buick here. The ZETA G8 should I would imagion be a little more $$$$ expensive then the ZETA Chevy Impala will be so the extra cost for shipping the G8 over here could be included in that cost.

Northstar    11

Unless they're planning on having the DTS sell a ton, that's not going to happen with current targets.

Updates I have seen are under 400k now for the 3 vehicles plus the Cadillac large car replacement.

Correct, and they're a lot closer to 300k than 400k for the 3 vehicles. I think GM is looking to drastically reduce Impala fleet sales and move the vehicle significantly upmarket.

So, now the question remains: other than the possible DTS replacement, what vehicles are going to fill the well over 100k units of capacity at Oshawa? Perhaps the G8 (and for sure the NG G8), perhaps a GTO, though that sounds unlikely as of now, possibly some sort of wagon (of the Impala maybe?), maybe an El Camino (though it makes sense to fill AU capacity with that as it will be low volume) but there is no indication that any of these other vehicles are even going to be produced except for the G8. Oshawa will be a C-Flex plant or whatever they call it, so I guess the capacity could be filled by whatever GM desires.

Chazman    1

We'll see if Oshawa ever builds any Pontiac Zetas. Denny Mooney is on record as saying that Holden's deal with Pontiac for the G8 will last 6 years. He also is pushing for Pontiac to be part of the NG Commodore program.

evok    0

Correct, and they're a lot closer to 300k than 400k for the 3 vehicles. I think GM is looking to drastically reduce Impala fleet sales and move the vehicle significantly upmarket.

Volumes will change as the hot selling Camaro gets cold in its second year and then Impala comes online the next, etc etc.

But yes I agree - I have seen a number of recent estimates for the 4 zetas at Osh and on average it is alot closer to 300k than 400k.

Edited by evok

ZL-1    160

plus the Cadillac large car replacement.

Would that be, given the STS sales record so far, the big question mark in the forecast?

So, now the question remains: other than the possible DTS replacement, what vehicles are going to fill the well over 100k units of capacity at Oshawa?

SWB and LWB cars for Australia Latin America and the Middle East, maybe? Australia could essentially become an engineering center for GM, with production located where scale effects are larger (Oshawa in this case )?

hyperv6    774

Could, maybe, possible, considered are not absolutes.

Since when have there been any absolutes in life or 7 day forcasts let alone Detroit?

This is just the latest Bob has said and his info is better than any of us here.

I think most of us understand here how fast things can change.

Edited by hyperv6

evok    0

Since when have there been any absolutes in life or 7 day forcasts let alone Detroit?

This is just the latest Bob has said and his info is better than any of us here.

I think most of us understand here how fast things can change.

There are no plans. What don't you understand.

I don't care what Bob said to the media. Read what Chazman said. Bob either spoke out of turn or was taken out of context.

If the damn G8 does not hit well above 30,000 vehicle and I mean well over a NA built G8 is unlikely.

Edited by evok

gm4life    5

I bet it will be moved over. It make sense to me. I think a Camaro, GTO, Impala and G8 will share a plant. I bet the Lucerne/DTS will stay where they are at or be made alongside the CTS.

Flybrian    0

A low-volume figure makes Aussie Zeta production of a G8 seems the most likely to continue. It fills capacity and leaves more room at Oshawa for more surge/fall changes to its four volume products.

Northstar    11

I bet it will be moved over. It make sense to me. I think a Camaro, GTO, Impala and G8 will share a plant. I bet the Lucerne/DTS will stay where they are at or be made alongside the CTS.

I doubt this generation of G8 will be NA-built. Lucerne is moving to Oshawa, which would leave DTS at Hamtramck all by itself, meaning GM would have two Zeta plants both well under capacity.

gm4life    5

I have heard for the next few years until the plant is converted to RWD the Pontiac will be made in Elizabeth. (or where its being made now) I heard when a new RWD Impala and Camaro start being made there the G8 and GTO will too. A RWD Lucerne goes back to having to many cars in the same size/style like Buick had the LeSabre and PA and Pontiac had the Bonneville. They wanted to get away from that and not compete over the same market, it isn't going to happen Buick will most likely stay FWD and Pontiac is moving towards RWD with a FWD model or two. There is still a market judging by sales for a FWD large Cadillac (DTS) and FWD large Buick (Lucerne). If there isn't a market for something it is another RWD car close to the size of the G8 and lets be honest Pontiac, Buick and GMC are considering themselfs one brand, like Chevrolet with a full-line-up! A RWD Zeta G8 and RWD Zeta Lucerne or whatever it is called will compete to much. Buick is suppose to now be more luxury not sport, that is why the Lucerne is FWD and the G8 will be RWD. I would love to see a Buick Roadmaster in addition to a FWD Lucerne based on the Holden Stateside but I doubt there is a market. Look at Cadillac the STS sold hardly 20K units last year CTS sales were closer to 55K and DTS sales (the old FWD model) were the highest at near 60K (58K to be exact) I doubt they want to get rid of a great seller. Look at the Lucerne they sold 80K of those old outdated barges *in some people minds* other people like me happen to apperciate them. A 6spd automatic in all the G-platform vehicles (Lucerne and DTS) would hold them over fine for the next few years. And then after that a redesigned FWD frame should be introduced (Chi *I know the Chi might be dead but that is what they said about the Zeta* or Lamada based FWD and AWD sedans...) that would make the most sense. Most people that buy these cars don't care about torque steer or even know what it is. They favor a good riding decent performing fullsize luxury cruiser over a that rides harsher and handles like it is on rails. Don't even get me started on the FWD advantage and yes many Cadillac/Buick buyers look into that, especially up in the Northern half of the US. At least I did and my dad did when he got his '89 and '92 Devilles. (He wouldn't get a Roadmaster or a Fleetwood Broughman!) They won't ditch it if it sells, trust me unless they have something VERY similar to replace it. Deny it or not numbers speak to GM and the sales of the DTS and Lucerne are good numbers. If they weren't they would be dropped like the Bonneville, Aztek, Skylark and (FWD) LeMans need I go on?

Edited by gm4life

97regalGS    0

another classic C&G thread

a couple of folks speaking truth. there are no plans confirmed at this time.

and a bunch of others creating a frenzy around wild commentary and speculation by lutz that doesn't in the least, address any specifics the hypers, i mean hypesters would hope to portray. (the G8 coming to oshawa)

z28luvr01    170

Ideally, Australia and Oshawa could be set up to build any Zeta vehicle for any market. This probably won't be possible until both Holden and GMNA are using the same Zeta, which won't happen till the next generation Commodore. Once this happens, GM could shift production to either plant to accommodate demand or capacity needs. For example, say the Camaro sells like hotcakes and you can't squeeze one more car out of Oshawa. Some production could spill over to Australia.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this