The Scoop on The G8 Being built in North America

Contrary to some people reporting there are no plans to bring the G8 To North America the opposite is quite true. At least according to Bob.

Bob Lutz has stated the following and it answers some of our questions on where and why.

"The G8 will be assembled in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. But it could be built on this continent".

"It is highly likely that as we move to higher volumes for the global rear-drive architecture, we will begin to produce" in North America, said GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz. "Importing from Australia at this point is a transitional phase. It permitted us to get the car quickly and for a minimum of investment."

Also quoted by John Larson "The G8 will meet the growing demand for rear-drive cars," said John Larson, Pontiac general manager.

The G8 will be offered only as a sedan and will be priced to compete with the Dodge Charger, also a rear-drive sedan.

The Chevrolet Camaro will be the second North American application of the rear-drive architecture. That car goes on sale in early 2009, followed six to 12 months later by the redesigned Chevrolet Impala.

So folks it looks like the G8 is going to be built down under for now due to the fact there is no place to build it here this early with out a large cost of shutting lines down to build this car when the Chevys were not ready yet.

Also keep in mind that the Zeta is flexable enough that if the need for Camaro's or Impalas is high they could keep the G8 down under where Holden has the room giving Chevy needed the room In Canada. That is the nice part of this car as it can be built in either factory with little change over. This is the new way GM will operate and it will pay off in the long run.

As for a all new reskinned G8 car built here I think we will have to wait. But expect a GXP to be here a year after intro with a LS3 and many HSV parts chosen to make it a competitor for the SRT Dodge. This car may include more Ground FX, spoilers, Bigger brakes and tires.

When Oshawa gets converted, they're going to need something besides the Impala, Camaro, and Lucerne to fill the 500k capacity. The G8 would be a logical vehicle to be built there.

The plans as I've read them have the Impala, Camaro, Lucerne, and Cadillac DTS produced in volumes of just over 500,000 units at the Oshawa plant with no spare room.

GM hasn't announced yet what they are planning to build in the Spring Hill plant. The money for the new paint shop has been allocated and the original plan was to put in tooling flexible enough to build vehicles as long as full-size. They should be announcing something later this year.

The plans as I've read them have the Impala, Camaro, Lucerne, and Cadillac DTS produced in volumes of just over 500,000 units at the Oshawa plant with no spare room.

Updates I have seen are under 400k now for the 3 vehicles plus the Cadillac large car replacement.

As mutch as I would like for the G8 to be built in the U.S. I dont mind them now or in the future being built down under. They build GREAT CARS down there so for their own good the G8 could remain sourced from there easly. They should keep a good production number of these the next GTO and the Ute in the Ausi plant for Holden's own good and build the next Imp-Cami and large Buick here. The ZETA G8 should I would imagion be a little more $$$$ expensive then the ZETA Chevy Impala will be so the extra cost for shipping the G8 over here could be included in that cost.

Unless they're planning on having the DTS sell a ton, that's not going to happen with current targets.

Updates I have seen are under 400k now for the 3 vehicles plus the Cadillac large car replacement.

Correct, and they're a lot closer to 300k than 400k for the 3 vehicles. I think GM is looking to drastically reduce Impala fleet sales and move the vehicle significantly upmarket.

So, now the question remains: other than the possible DTS replacement, what vehicles are going to fill the well over 100k units of capacity at Oshawa? Perhaps the G8 (and for sure the NG G8), perhaps a GTO, though that sounds unlikely as of now, possibly some sort of wagon (of the Impala maybe?), maybe an El Camino (though it makes sense to fill AU capacity with that as it will be low volume) but there is no indication that any of these other vehicles are even going to be produced except for the G8. Oshawa will be a C-Flex plant or whatever they call it, so I guess the capacity could be filled by whatever GM desires.

Correct, and they're a lot closer to 300k than 400k for the 3 vehicles. I think GM is looking to drastically reduce Impala fleet sales and move the vehicle significantly upmarket.

Volumes will change as the hot selling Camaro gets cold in its second year and then Impala comes online the next, etc etc.

But yes I agree - I have seen a number of recent estimates for the 4 zetas at Osh and on average it is alot closer to 300k than 400k.

Edited by evok

plus the Cadillac large car replacement.

Would that be, given the STS sales record so far, the big question mark in the forecast?

So, now the question remains: other than the possible DTS replacement, what vehicles are going to fill the well over 100k units of capacity at Oshawa?

SWB and LWB cars for Australia Latin America and the Middle East, maybe? Australia could essentially become an engineering center for GM, with production located where scale effects are larger (Oshawa in this case )?

Could, maybe, possible, considered are not absolutes.

Since when have there been any absolutes in life or 7 day forcasts let alone Detroit?

This is just the latest Bob has said and his info is better than any of us here.

I think most of us understand here how fast things can change.

Edited by hyperv6

Since when have there been any absolutes in life or 7 day forcasts let alone Detroit?

This is just the latest Bob has said and his info is better than any of us here.

I think most of us understand here how fast things can change.

There are no plans. What don't you understand.

I don't care what Bob said to the media. Read what Chazman said. Bob either spoke out of turn or was taken out of context.

If the damn G8 does not hit well above 30,000 vehicle and I mean well over a NA built G8 is unlikely.

Edited by evok

I bet it will be moved over. It make sense to me. I think a Camaro, GTO, Impala and G8 will share a plant. I bet the Lucerne/DTS will stay where they are at or be made alongside the CTS.

I doubt this generation of G8 will be NA-built. Lucerne is moving to Oshawa, which would leave DTS at Hamtramck all by itself, meaning GM would have two Zeta plants both well under capacity.

I have heard for the next few years until the plant is converted to RWD the Pontiac will be made in Elizabeth. (or where its being made now) I heard when a new RWD Impala and Camaro start being made there the G8 and GTO will too. A RWD Lucerne goes back to having to many cars in the same size/style like Buick had the LeSabre and PA and Pontiac had the Bonneville. They wanted to get away from that and not compete over the same market, it isn't going to happen Buick will most likely stay FWD and Pontiac is moving towards RWD with a FWD model or two. There is still a market judging by sales for a FWD large Cadillac (DTS) and FWD large Buick (Lucerne). If there isn't a market for something it is another RWD car close to the size of the G8 and lets be honest Pontiac, Buick and GMC are considering themselfs one brand, like Chevrolet with a full-line-up! A RWD Zeta G8 and RWD Zeta Lucerne or whatever it is called will compete to much. Buick is suppose to now be more luxury not sport, that is why the Lucerne is FWD and the G8 will be RWD. I would love to see a Buick Roadmaster in addition to a FWD Lucerne based on the Holden Stateside but I doubt there is a market. Look at Cadillac the STS sold hardly 20K units last year CTS sales were closer to 55K and DTS sales (the old FWD model) were the highest at near 60K (58K to be exact) I doubt they want to get rid of a great seller. Look at the Lucerne they sold 80K of those old outdated barges *in some people minds* other people like me happen to apperciate them. A 6spd automatic in all the G-platform vehicles (Lucerne and DTS) would hold them over fine for the next few years. And then after that a redesigned FWD frame should be introduced (Chi *I know the Chi might be dead but that is what they said about the Zeta* or Lamada based FWD and AWD sedans...) that would make the most sense. Most people that buy these cars don't care about torque steer or even know what it is. They favor a good riding decent performing fullsize luxury cruiser over a that rides harsher and handles like it is on rails. Don't even get me started on the FWD advantage and yes many Cadillac/Buick buyers look into that, especially up in the Northern half of the US. At least I did and my dad did when he got his '89 and '92 Devilles. (He wouldn't get a Roadmaster or a Fleetwood Broughman!) They won't ditch it if it sells, trust me unless they have something VERY similar to replace it. Deny it or not numbers speak to GM and the sales of the DTS and Lucerne are good numbers. If they weren't they would be dropped like the Bonneville, Aztek, Skylark and (FWD) LeMans need I go on?

Edited by gm4life

another classic C&G thread

a couple of folks speaking truth. there are no plans confirmed at this time.

and a bunch of others creating a frenzy around wild commentary and speculation by lutz that doesn't in the least, address any specifics the hypers, i mean hypesters would hope to portray. (the G8 coming to oshawa)

Ideally, Australia and Oshawa could be set up to build any Zeta vehicle for any market. This probably won't be possible until both Holden and GMNA are using the same Zeta, which won't happen till the next generation Commodore. Once this happens, GM could shift production to either plant to accommodate demand or capacity needs. For example, say the Camaro sells like hotcakes and you can't squeeze one more car out of Oshawa. Some production could spill over to Australia.

This generation of G8 will be made down under. The Camaro and Impala will be built at the current Impala plant in Canada. Those our the facts. No one knows what is happening to the Lucerne or DTS. I would guess because of good sales they will stay FWD. But that is a guess. That is all anyone knows for sure right now!

another classic C&G thread

a couple of folks speaking truth. there are no plans confirmed at this time.

and a bunch of others creating a frenzy around wild commentary and speculation by lutz that doesn't in the least, address any specifics the hypers, i mean hypesters would hope to portray. (the G8 coming to oshawa)

Zeta is dead.

There are no plans for a Camaro.

There are no plans for a Zeta Pontiac.

---

How about adding something constructive to the thread instead of snide comments? I'll gladly stand up for hyper. When it comes to the RWD/Zeta/Holden stuff, he has been right on the money every time. Besides, don't you think GM would be foolish not to at least set themselves up to produce the G8 in either plant, unless we're not giving inefficiency enough credit as a business strategy?

If there isn't a market for something it is another RWD car close to the size of the G8 and lets be honest Pontiac, Buick and GMC are considering themselfs one brand, like Chevrolet with a full-line-up! A RWD Zeta G8 and RWD Zeta Lucerne or whatever it is called will compete to much. Buick is suppose to now be more luxury not sport, that is why the Lucerne is FWD and the G8 will be RWD.

Who says that the Buick Zeta will be the same size or have the same personality as the G8?

This generation of G8 will be made down under. The Camaro and Impala will be built at the current Impala plant in Canada. Those our the facts. No one knows what is happening to the Lucerne or DTS. I would guess because of good sales they will stay FWD. But that is a guess. That is all anyone knows for sure right now!

We do know what is happening to the Lucerne.

What FWD platform to you propose building the Lucerne or DTS on? They cannot stay on G, as it will be ancient by the NG Lucerne and DTS.

That leaves Sigma and Zeta. Zeta should be more than adequate for them.

I'm not so sure that a 30 mpg Impala & Camaro wouldn't put the plant near capacity. If done right, and if it gets 30 mpg, the Impala could easily hit 300,000+ units, leaving little capacity left for the Camaro and Lucerne.

It's not going to be getting 30mpg with the 3.6 as the Aura doesn't even do that. Even if it did, I don't think the Impala is going to be hitting 300000.

Ideally, Australia and Oshawa could be set up to build any Zeta vehicle for any market. This probably won't be possible until both Holden and GMNA are using the same Zeta, which won't happen till the next generation Commodore. Once this happens, GM could shift production to either plant to accommodate demand or capacity needs. For example, say the Camaro sells like hotcakes and you can't squeeze one more car out of Oshawa. Some production could spill over to Australia.

Thank you as someone who understands the part I posted that were my comments and also noted I did not state anything for sure.

Edited by hyperv6

Zeta is dead.

---

How about adding something constructive to the thread instead of snide comments? I'll gladly stand up for hyper. When it comes to the RWD/Zeta/Holden stuff, he has been right on the money every time. Besides, don't you think GM would be foolish not to at least set themselves up to produce the G8 in either plant, unless we're not giving inefficiency enough credit as a business strategy?

Good I am not the only one who noticed! Pehaps he was misquoted.

Zeta is dead.

---

all i'm saying is that it is a non-story. there are no more firm plans to move G8 prod'n to oshawa than there are for lutz to retire tomorrow. it might happen someday, but it certainly isn't decided yet.

i'm no insider, but i do have some common sense and hang around here often enough to get the jist of what's going on. and today, Feb 13 2007, the comments that make the most sense and hold the most credence are those from evok, northstar, chazman.

re: your comments about oshawa and AU both able to build zeta. ya, that makes sense. however, the ability to shift camaro prod'n to AU to handle increased demand, while interesting, is extremely difficult to manage based on a whole bunch of variables. the most obvious being, it cost a little bit more to put a bunch of camaros on a boat and sent them across the pacific and then to load them on trains, than it does to just load them on trains in the first place. not to mention exchange rates, etc etc.

seems more likely to me that it would be far easier to manage production variabilty by increasing/decreasing additional shifts within the same plant than trying to manage two plants 10,000 miles apart. or even just changing the production mix within the plant. camaro hot, throttle back on the Impala for a couple days. i don't know the specifics of oshawa capacity, but based on the numbers bandied about, but sounds like all 4 cars would have to be huge runaway successes before a second plant would be needed for NA demand.

want to get really funky with efficiency then build a plant that assembles multiple cars on multiple platforms on the same line. impalas one day, malibus the next.

is that constructive enough?

Edited by 97regalGS

We do know what is happening to the Lucerne.

What FWD platform to you propose building the Lucerne or DTS on? They cannot stay on G, as it will be ancient by the NG Lucerne and DTS.

That leaves Sigma and Zeta. Zeta should be more than adequate for them.

Has GM announced the Lucerne is going to RWD?

They might have but I haven't heard I am just curious and I would be suprised if it is. Because of good sales, sorry to sound so stupid Northstar, maybe my head is in the sand. It wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

Edited by gm4life

is that constructive enough?

perfect :thumbsup:

re: your comments about oshawa and AU both able to build zeta. ya, that makes sense. however, the ability to shift camaro prod'n to AU to handle increased demand, while interesting, is extremely difficult to manage based on a whole bunch of variables. the most obvious being, it cost a little bit more to put a bunch of camaros on a boat and sent them across the pacific and then to load them on trains, than it does to just load them on trains in the first place. not to mention exchange rates, etc etc.

That makes sense, but what about if/when the Camaro gets the go-ahead to be sold in Australia? I think it would make sense to have at least those Camaros made in Australia. And instead of making Camaros earmarked for Australia, Oshawa could take on some G8 or Ute* production to keep the lines going. I guess what I'm getting at is that I see a scenario where models continuously rotate between GMNA and Holden to satisfy the demands of each local market and maximize the profit on each car sold.

Don't forget the other export markets either. It may or may not be cheaper to export a Holden to the Middle East or Europe that's made in Oshawa than one made in Australia.

There are no plans. What don't you understand.

I don't care what Bob said to the media. Read what Chazman said. Bob either spoke out of turn or was taken out of context.

If the damn G8 does not hit well above 30,000 vehicle and I mean well over a NA built G8 is unlikely.

I just saw Dennys statments today a few days after I posted Bobs quotes. I plan to keep both in mind with future info to better understand what they will do.

If you have issues with Bob's quotes please address the complaints to him as he said this not me. I am sure he can enlighten you on if he was misquoted or taken out of context. He might even explain what he ment if he was not misquoted. Do you need his E mail address?

I only posted what he said for others here who might have been interested in what he said. This info makes for interesting speculation and conversation as that is what this web site is all about or are we here just to hear your side of everything?

This info added to info we recieve in the future may make a clearer picture so we will know what is going on.

Otherwise I don't care if the car is built here or down under. In the end does it really matter unless you work in one of the plants.

They might have but I haven't heard I am just curious and I would be suprised if it is. Because of good sales, sorry to sound so stupid Northstar, maybe my head is in the sand. It wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

There hasn't been an announcement, but if you read between the lines it's the only realistic option for the Lucerne. No new large car FWD platforms are known to be in existence. Chi, which I believe was a car-based Lambda, is dead as far as we know.

I just saw Dennys statments today a few days after I posted Bobs quotes. I plan to keep both in mind with future info to better understand what they will do.

If you have issues with Bob's quotes please address the complaints to him as he said this not me. I am sure he can enlighten you on if he was misquoted or taken out of context. He might even explain what he ment if he was not misquoted. Do you need his E mail address?

I only posted what he said for others here who might have been interested in what he said. This info makes for interesting speculation and conversation as that is what this web site is all about or are we here just to hear your side of everything?

This info added to info we recieve in the future may make a clearer picture so we will know what is going on.

Otherwise I don't care if the car is built here or down under. In the end does it really matter unless you work in one of the plants.

Instead of arguing with me - why not learn how to f'in read.

and I quote

""Lutz: The G8 will be assembled in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. But it could be built on this continent"."

"you said: Contrary to some people reporting there are no plans to bring the G8 To North America the opposite is quite true. At least according to Bob."

That says could, not will, not planned, not will happen.

On top of that, the quote was taken from a recent interview with Lutz which I have watched. No, it is you, taking the Lutz statements out of context. In that same interview, Lutz also appears uncertain/questioning/hesitant if the G8 will reach expected retail demand and compares that with the fleet/retail mix with the current GP. I saw the interview.

Please get your head out of your ass already.

You pulled this same crap with me on the Camaro over a year ago. Grow up already. I was correct about that and I am correct about this.

Edited by evok

perfect :thumbsup:

That makes sense, but what about if/when the Camaro gets the go-ahead to be sold in Australia? I think it would make sense to have at least those Camaros made in Australia. And instead of making Camaros earmarked for Australia, Oshawa could take on some G8 or Ute* production to keep the lines going. I guess what I'm getting at is that I see a scenario where models continuously rotate between GMNA and Holden to satisfy the demands of each local market and maximize the profit on each car sold.

Don't forget the other export markets either. It may or may not be cheaper to export a Holden to the Middle East or Europe that's made in Oshawa than one made in Australia.

had a longer post, but somehow nuked IE and lost it!

my point was, GM wants to produce vehicles locally on global platforms, as much as it makes sense.

reduce plants. the capitall assets are a huge drain on the financials. build large, flexible facilties than can deal with swings in market demand/supply.

so, zeta should be a global architecture. but the benefit of that is not the ability to shift production for the markets where those plants are located. it would be a nightmare to manage Impala production between oshawa and AU. the benefit is to (a) streamline and minimize development costs as it would be only 1 architecure globally (not 4 like epsion turned out to be) (b) supply export markets with vehicles from two different plants. ie. Don't build zeta in europe. but, holden could produce 4-door zetas for Opel and oshawa could produce 4-door zetas for UK -- or something along those lines.

but you won't see camaros rolling off the line in AU anymore than you'll see Ute rolling off the line in oshawa. the markets for those vehicles is to small to justify the additonal cost of local production. they'll just ship them back and forth.

if G8 can sell in enough quantity to justify the aditional cost to tool up oshawa for a 5th vehicle, then they will do it. and that would be a good thing, assuming all 5 vehciles were hot sellers and had their release dates staged correctly. supply could be managed appropriately to keep demand at the right level. that is of course assuming two of the things that evok described occur - (1) the public WANTS the cars and is willing to PAY for them and (2) it is not cheaper for GM to make the damn cars and discount the $h! out of them than to pay the UAW to sit on their ass and read the newspaper.

finally, perhaps not directly related to the option to produce G8 in oshawa is the future of Pontiac itself. I'd say that brand is still not out of the woods. if G8 fails miserably, then I'd say Pontiac is in trouble.

while the rumored alpha program could be a godsend for Pontiac, the reality is GM has a bunch of other brands that could benefit from the vehicles that would come from that platform (SAAB, Saturn, Chevy, Buick, Cadillac could each have an alpha vehicle in their line-up).

If G8 flops, that leaves Pontiac with the Solstice, which will see sales slide to some degree, the G6(GXP coupe is disgusting) and I don't think there is a NG G6 confirmed - is there? the Cobal.. I mean G5. The GP is almost gone, the SV6 is gone, the Vibe... no idea, and the Torrent likely goes to GMC. I mean really, the brand is in taters, held together with binder twine and chicken wire.

No, but that doesn't mean that they aren't going to make it RWD.

We'll see if Oshawa ever builds any Pontiac Zetas. Denny Mooney is on record as saying that Holden's deal with Pontiac for the G8 will last 6 years. He also is pushing for Pontiac to be part of the NG Commodore program.

Does the 6 years begin at SORP?

This is the "6 years" quote:

Mooney said the deal will last "for the life cycle of the car," rumoured to be around 6 years,

Mooney never said it was six years, he said it was for the life of the car. If GM wants to implement the new Global Zeta throughout well, the globe, sooner than six years, then the deal won't last 6 years.

Also, the "life cycle of the car" they are talking about is the VE Commodore. It started production what, 6 to 8 months ago? By the time the G8 arrives the Commodore will have been in production for 1 1/2 years. If it's going to be around for 6 years, then the G8 is only around for 4 1/2 years.

Here is my reality, which is only for me. I will never buy this car unless it's produced in North America, that's just a fact as I see it. Also what is GM going to do if this car is a hit? Right now Lutz said they will import 30 - 50K, what will they do if demand is 75 -100K per year? Holden can't produce more than that since it is supplying Zeta cars to it's home market, China, South Africa, and the Middle East. So what's the plan if demand is more than 50K? I think they will be forced to move production to North America, especially if they now are going to bring the UTE here as an El Camino. Remember Holden doesn't have multiple car assembly plants as we do here in North America, it has only the Elizabeth assembly plant.

Instead of arguing with me - why not learn how to f'in read.

and I quote

""Lutz: The G8 will be assembled in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. But it could be built on this continent"."

"you said: Contrary to some people reporting there are no plans to bring the G8 To North America the opposite is quite true. At least according to Bob."

That says could, not will, not planned, not will happen.

On top of that, the quote was taken from a recent interview with Lutz which I have watched. No, it is you, taking the Lutz statements out of context. In that same interview, Lutz also appears uncertain/questioning/hesitant if the G8 will reach expected retail demand and compares that with the fleet/retail mix with the current GP. I saw the interview.

Please get your head out of your ass already.

You pulled this same crap with me on the Camaro over a year ago. Grow up already. I was correct about that and I am correct about this.

If you would read all the post I added my comments at the end that made it clear that I know the G8 is not set in stone to come here but can be moved. Others have noted it so it was not that unpreceivable. The idea the car CAN be moved is a plan! Remove your head from down under (sorry to the other posters for the bad pun) and you would understand that! Or due you want to just argue about the choice of words?

Here is a good example, Say I plan to go to my Grandmothers but I have not set a time or date yet but that does not say that I may go or not go to here house does it? I will get there and have a plan to go I just need to set the time and date to when or if I go. The plan is in place and can be inacted when the time is right or needed.

Here are quotes I posted in the same post after Bobs statment.

"So folks it looks like the G8 is going to be built down under for now"

"they could keep the G8 down under where Holden has the room giving Chevy needed the room In Canada".

These are my words and where do you see where I say they are going to build the G8 here or saying when.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I give a date!!!!!!!!!!! Did I give a time!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!

As for plans my point of view is not that they have set any dates etc but that fact that they have ideas that can move the car here if or when needed. This is the plan GM is working to with all its platforms on a world wide plan. They can build a Opel in Lordstown if need and they might with the new Saturn. This is part of GM's future in being flexible.

You love to set things up in a context to suit your own needs. Your welcome to post your opinion but do not try to twist my words. Are you that driven by the need to be right?

The press took the Lutz statments to be what I precieved them to be too. Sorry if you don't agree but not everyone is always going to agree with you and you don't have to be a nasty person to get your point across. If you disagree respectfully I and others have no problem with that would respect it. Others here do it all the time and are welcome to do so. Using colorful medifores is a cheap way out. What next are you going to say bad things about my mother?? I thougth you to more a profesional than that I guess it is a point you proved me wrong again.

If you don't like my post than just ignore them as we get along much better that way. Lord knows I try to avoid any of your post no matter if I agree or disagree as dealing with you is not worth it.

Evok You are a very skilled and crafty person with the written word. You like to twist others words to suit your needs and many times your post are so subjective or vague that they give you the wiggle room you could squeeze a H1 through. But your people skills need a lot of work!

It is great to agree to disagree that is why we are here but there is no reason for anyone to bully anyone and you say I should grow up?

PS if you look at this tread it has brought out a lot of info and ideas from others that are being discussed so all is not lost by my post. This is how we learn not just hanging on yours or mine every word.

Out of respect for the others we should drop this here and let this topic grow and become something of value.

Edited by hyperv6

The GM plan (not rumor, scheduled plan) as I've seen it has four Zeta vehicles being built in Oshawa: Camaro (100,000), Impala (250,000), Lucerne, and DTS. The total volume of those four cars puts the plant at its capacity of about 500,000 units. This is what I know for sure right now. Things might change and may have changed since the document I saw was published, but this isn't rumor...or conjecture...these are facts. There's no room for the G8 in Oshawa....and there's no product planned for Hamtramck. Hamtramck could always be called into service for more products, but that's a guess.

I think GM is looking to drastically reduce Impala fleet sales and move the vehicle significantly upmarket.

Interesting you should mention that, as I would be rather curious to see what would fill that signifigant sales void... after all, those fleets are not going to stop wanting vehicles all of a sudden. And, furthermore, returning the Impala to RWD would only serve to make it more attractive to fleets, particularily law enforcement.

So long as Oshawa is tooled for flexable manufacturing, I would be in favour of simply continuing to produce the current generation Impala for fleet use only well into the next decade. But, as this thread demonstrates, who really knows what GM has up their sleeves?

The GM plan (not rumor, scheduled plan) as I've seen it has four Zeta vehicles being built in Oshawa: Camaro (100,000), Impala (250,000), Lucerne, and DTS. The total volume of those four cars puts the plant at its capacity of about 500,000 units. This is what I know for sure right now. Things might change and may have changed since the document I saw was published, but this isn't rumor...or conjecture...these are facts. There's no room for the G8 in Oshawa....and there's no product planned for Hamtramck. Hamtramck could always be called into service for more products, but that's a guess.

DTS is up in the air at this point. Your Impala figure is significantly higher than the current target, and Camaro + Impala + Lucerne are well below 400k units.

I would not be surprised if the Impala sold 250k considering it will get lots of attention from police/taxi companies, but apparently GM doesn't think it will, which again is why I think it must be moving significantly upmarket.