2008 Pontiac Grand Prix Ordering Guide

New for 2008: Grand Prix

Deletions

• 2WR69 Grand Prix GT. GT exclusive features included (L32) 3.8L Series III V6 SFI engine, (FE2) 4-wheel independent GT Wide Track suspension, (NV7) Magnasteer I variable-assist power rack-and-pinion steering and (N85) 17" aluminum wheels
  • Exterior color (46U) Stealth Gray Metallic
  • Exterior color (53U) Bronzestone Metallic
  • (P23) 17" Chrome-Tech aluminum wheels
New Features
  • Exterior color 51U Gold Mist Metallic. Only available on 2WP69 Grand Prix
  • Exterior color 76U Dark Mocha Metallic. Only available on 2WP69 Grand Prix
  • Exterior color 87U Dark Slate Metallic
Changes
  • Changed RPO Code on (PCJ) Sun and Sound Package (was [PDE] in 2007)
  • Changed RPO Code on (PDZ) Regular production accessory, Custom Accessories Package (was [PDC] in 2007)

Wait, I thought the G8 was going to be a 2008? Or are they going to run the last year of the GP with the first year of the G8?

Grand Prix production ceases in December, 2007 (or thereabouts), so there will be overlap consisting of dwindling amounts of GPs while G8s ramp up. Something Buick should've thought about when introducing the Lucerne...

Also, whoever wants to get the last supercharged 3800 better get a 2007 GT now. Sad to see such a great engine go.

pointless with the v8 available. the alum v8 wieghs about the same as the iron block v6. no extra supercharger is needed to get better power.

the SC v6 was a pleasing motor for many, but they seemed to abondon it when they stuffed the v8 in there.

Grand Prix production ceases in December, 2007 (or thereabouts), so there will be overlap consisting of dwindling amounts of GPs while G8s ramp up. Something Buick should've thought about when introducing the Lucerne...

That wasn't really an option for Buick. They couldn't produce LeSabres they were changing the line over to produce the Lucerne. With the G8 being built in a different plant it's a lot easier to do.

I will miss you my beloved Grand Prix! :lovey:

Yep, with that great dashboard, it's a nice car.

It's too bad the color choices are weak for this car, leading one to the white exterior / black interior stand-by.

I got a Grand Prix for a rental last week. It was an okay car--engine felt smooth and sounded good under throttle. But the interior was pretty bad. Overall its decent car but it feels kind of old. Nothing really wring with it but nothing great either.

I guess if I got a GXP for rental then my opinion mighthave changed but put the W body to rest and bring on the G8!

Silly to kill the GT, really. If anything, they should ditch the GXP for 2008. If anyone wants a V8 sedan, there's no reason to buy a GP GXP when the more powerful, rear-drive G8 GT is right next to it in the showroom. The 3800 and 3800S/C should be what stays.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

I have had one all week. I'm feeling the same way. I, too, might pop for this one before the curtain falls if I don't really like the LaCrosse "adjustment" Can't get enough of the dashboard and rocketing across the desert from Las Vegas to Los Angeles really gives one the idea that this is a confident and competent road car.

I understand the thought of getting rid of the supercharger but it is SILLY. I like the GXP the best but I think the new G8 is growing on me so fast I like the G8 GT more than the GP GXP which I used to love but still like.

God not me, the more I look at the G8 the more I hate it. I am going to get one of the last Grand Prix GXP's ever made. That way when everyone one else is driving their zeta clones, I will have something truely unique, that screams I am the Grand Prix and I don't care if you like my looks or not, because I am a true bitching Pontiac and not a Holden clone. :smilewide:

I will have something truely unique, that screams I am the Grand Prix and I don't care if you like my looks or not, because I am a true bitching Pontiac and not a Holden clone. :smilewide:

Our very own Flybry said it best: "f@#k you, I'm the Grand Prix." A keeper! :thumbsup:

As A 04 GTP owner I will miss the car but it's time has come and passed.

The G8 Is the best direction to increase sales and provide a more modern Sports sedan.

GM has mad the GP sporting and fun to drive but it is still not a sports sedan.

As for the name. If one was to remove the fleet sales of the GT too few people really car about the car and name. If they are going to bring a new car to maket a new name is a must. I agree they could and should do better than the G8 name but I will not be so short sighted to shun a great car because of a poor name. It is time for Pontiac to bring in buyers that would never buy a GP as they really need to increase sales.

Everyone has been wanting Pontiac to be a true performanc division, well here is our change to prove that is what we wanted as Pontiac has provided a great new sedan. Next if they can turn the G6 into the next Performanc sedan that can compete with the world market not just a Sebring.

RIP Old Friend GP. You have served us well even if GM at times did not do you justice.

I would love to find another 1969 428 HO GP with low miles.

Pontiacs with racing venue names and California place names, and "sun" and "bird" names are my favorites. Alphanumerics evoke no passion. Too generic, there's just... no connection. Pontiac has, at least since 1959, been about romance, passion, and sensuousness.

Will Solstice be the last Pontiac to promote these themes? Yes, G6 has the looks to tie it to Pontiac, but the name is removed. G8... just another pair of keystrokes.

Pontiac has such a list of names that have meaning, that lend a purpose and promote a mindset... this "G" string of names flushes the toilet on heritage. Shameful.

Although, I too am sad too see the classic names go, maybe we should look at this differently. I look at it as building a new heritage with great all new products. I think change is just the thing Pontiac needs right now.

I have to laugh at your statement. Building a new heritage on G names that mean nothing and stand for even less? The only change that was needed was for Pontiac to have the balls it use to have and design and build its own RWD V8 instead of accepting the Holden clone lock, stock and barrel. Jesus, Pontiac just bent over over a spread them for Holden. That's not an image I want to be seen driving around in. Thanks, but no thanks!

Pontiacs with California place names, and "sun" and "bird" names are my favorites.

Most of the Pontiac names are "Frenchy" but the only 2 Cali ones I can think of are Catalina and Ventura. Are there others I've missed?

Most of the Pontiac names are "Frenchy" but the only 2 Cali ones I can think of are Catalina and Ventura. Are there others I've missed?

I think we should switch to Italian names. Being that the the Zeta platform is one of the world platforms, they should have called the Pontiac version the "Tutto il Mondo", works for me and sounds so new and sophisticated and very European.

Give up the Frenchy names and let's go Italian. :smilewide:

Well, Bob, yes, some of Pontiac's racing names have French overtones, but there are others. Let's see how many we can think of altogether:

LeMans

Bonneville

Grand Prix

Grand Am

Trans Am

Then you've got your California names (both of which have positive, "escapist" connotations, imo):

Catalina

Ventura

Your "Bird" names:

Sunbird (which also could be grouped with Solstice and Sunfire, as "sun" names)

Firebird

Phoenix

Phoenix is sort of a blend between a bird and an Indian name, which brings us to:

Aztek

Star Chief

Chieftan

Banshee

Then, a couple of "storm" names:

Tempest

Torrent

GTO was a name borrowed from Ferrari, and we all know the Pontiac version took ownership of that name to where ppl hardly ever think of the Italian car, at least here in the USA.

"Formula" to me always referred to a group of options, a "recipe" or "formula" for performance. Firebird, Sunbird and Fiero Formulas come to mind.

All of these are WAY more interesting to me than... G whatever. Will they rename the Solstice the G2? Perish the thought.

Edited by ocnblu

Well, Bob, yes, some of Pontiac's racing names have French overtones, but there are others. Let's see how many we can think of altogether:

LeMans

Bonneville

Grand Prix

Grand Am

Trans Am

Then you've got your California names (both of which have positive, "escapist" connotations, imo):

Catalina

Ventura

Your "Bird" names:

Sunbird (which also could be grouped with Solstice)

Firebird

Phoenix

Phoenix is sort of a blend between a bird and an Indian name, which brings us to:

Aztek

Star Chief

Chieftan

Banshee

Then, a couple of "storm" names:

Tempest

Torrent

GTO was a name borrowed from Ferrari, and we all know the Pontiac version took ownership of that name to where ppl hardly ever think of the Italian car, at least here in the USA.

"Formula" to me always referred to a group of options, a "recipe" or "formula" for performance. Firebird and Fiero Formulas come to mind.

All of these are WAY more interesting to me than... G whatever. Will they rename the Solstice the G2? Perish the thought.

You forgot the mighty Custom-S, T-37, Grandville and Parisien! :smilewide:

Grandville

Ooh-la-la...that's right. Every once in a while, I come upon a GrandVille convertible from 1975 or 1976 in perfect condition (quad rectangular lamps and cubed-up grille) and it's a feast for the eyes.

"On ne peut pas oublier la GrandVille ouvert au ciel, n'est-ce pas?" :yes:

While I like the '75 (last year I think) Grandville convertible, that name, to me, is another nonsensical word cobbled together... perhaps they thought "Grand Bonneville" couldn't fit on the fenders? :scratchchin:

Seperated Grand Ville, means large city in French.

Merci. That is too funny....the French lesson, I mean.

Il y a un Grand Ville Brougham, aussi, avec les tessuts meilleurs en les "hardtops" avec deux et quattre portes.

... but do you guys think that's what Pontiac meant it to mean?

Most definitely. It was their boulevardier...one notch up from Bonneville, though much the same. And, like Bonneville, it has a "place" connotation.

I have to laugh at your statement. Building a new heritage on G names that mean nothing and stand for even less? The only change that was needed was for Pontiac to have the balls it use to have and design and build its own RWD V8 instead of accepting the Holden clone lock, stock and barrel. Jesus, Pontiac just bent over over a spread them for Holden. That's not an image I want to be seen driving around in. Thanks, but no thanks!

Wierd..I don't see the big deal with Pontiac having a rebadged Holden. After all, Holdens aren't sold in the US, so it's not like it's a clone of something else at a dealership across the street. I'd much rather drive a modern G8 than a dated FWD Grand Prix rental car...

I'd much rather drive a modern G8 than a dated FWD Grand Prix rental car...

Now, now, Moltie, I know you're a cutting edge techno kind of guy...but it's hard to diss a sled that, in base form, costs $ 20,000 out the door before taxes and fees AND can can easily last 15 years and/or 250,000 miles on its ultra-reliable all cast-iron base engine. Those kind of numbers sing to me. Edited by trinacriabob

pointless with the v8 available. the alum v8 wieghs about the same as the iron block v6. no extra supercharger is needed to get better power.

the SC v6 was a pleasing motor for many, but they seemed to abondon it when they stuffed the v8 in there.

Actually.....the V8 weighs LESS than the SC3800.....!

• 1 month later...

Pontiacs with racing venue names and California place names, and "sun" and "bird" names are my favorites. Alphanumerics evoke no passion. Too generic, there's just... no connection. Pontiac has, at least since 1959, been about romance, passion, and sensuousness.

Will Solstice be the last Pontiac to promote these themes? Yes, G6 has the looks to tie it to Pontiac, but the name is removed. G8... just another pair of keystrokes.

Pontiac has such a list of names that have meaning, that lend a purpose and promote a mindset... this "G" string of names flushes the toilet on heritage. Shameful.

GM has a method to its madness. As I read somewhere, the G6 is the successor to the 5th-gen Grand Am, so G6 ends up standing for Grand Am 6th Generation. So I did a little more investigation, and found out that the G8 is the replacement for the (gasp) 7th-generation Grand Prix.

In that context, the names stay true to historical roots. But since Grand Am and Grand Prix are being retired, if Pontiac experiences a slump in sales, they could always revert back a la Ford.

GM has a method to its madness. As I read somewhere, the G6 is the successor to the 5th-gen Grand Am, so G6 ends up standing for Grand Am 6th Generation. So I did a little more investigation, and found out that the G8 is the replacement for the (gasp) 7th-generation Grand Prix.

In that context, the names stay true to historical roots. But since Grand Am and Grand Prix are being retired, if Pontiac experiences a slump in sales, they could always revert back a la Ford.

They should learn from Ford, however, and wait for a full redesign before changing the name back.

Don't get me wrong I love the current, GP but the new G8 has me drooling already. I might own a GP GXP someday because they will be cheaper than a G8 GT. But you never, know my one complaint was to keep the name GP or call it a Bonneville!

Don't get me wrong I love the current, GP but the new G8 has me drooling already. I might own a GP GXP someday because they will be cheaper than a G8 GT. But you never, know my one complaint was to keep the name GP or call it a Bonneville!

They can call it what ever they like. If they don't have a good car it is all for not.

A good car sells itself just ask BMW with it's M5 or M3 or X5

Pontiac has already proven calling a G body at Bonneville and a Koren car A Le Mans dose not sell cars.

Where does the G5 fit in, then?

-RBB

On the Lucerne note-does anyone actually miss the LeSabre? I know I don't....Then again, if Lucerne died, other than colors and its respect its brought toward Buick (and the exact same clientele), I wouldn't miss it much either, but at least it tries to be classy and luxurious unlike the Chevy-content-like LeSabre.

I'll miss the sportiness and daring (if misinterpreted) styling Grand Prix brings to Pontiac-its sad to see one of America's most storied names go. I'm surprised the Light Quartz Metallic (14U) isn't offered on Grand Prix-I'm surprised.

Wierd..I don't see the big deal with Pontiac having a rebadged Holden. After all, Holdens aren't sold in the US, so it's not like it's a clone of something else at a dealership across the street. I'd much rather drive a modern G8 than a dated FWD Grand Prix rental car...

The G8 looks like every foreign car, bland, plain, no Pontiac sportiness whatsoever other than the tacked on hood scoops, non- descript side, a very un-Pontiac rear end and taillights etc. The Grand Prix may not have been for everyone but it at least wasn't mistaken for anything else. The 3800/4 speed combo are pretty bulletproof these days and will whale the Holden 3.6 and V8 in mileage. The RWD only setup will make it less appealing to the masses than the 300 cars from Chrysler with there optional AWD. The price will be many thousands of dollars higher, even for an entry level car and production is going to be very low. If your sole desire is smokey burnouts and price, mileage, traction and distinctive styling aren't important then this is the car for you.