Buick Supers
Press Release

Posted Image

:forum:LaCrosse Super Photo Gallery
:forum:Lucerne Super Photo Gallery

For release: March 27, 2007, noon EDT
BUICK RETURNS 'SUPER' NAME TO DESIGNATE PREMIUM MODELS
Exclusive Buick Models Elevate Design, Power and Performance

NEW YORK – Buick has rekindled a name from its storied 20th-century past to mark the beginning of a new level of refinement: Super. The badge is designated exclusively for Buick’s most premium, powerful models and returns to Buick vehicles after 50 years. It will debut on the 2008 model year LaCrosse and Lucerne sedans.

“We’re bringing back the Super badge to represent our most premium models,” said Steve Shannon, Buick general manager. “Our Supers are not just about increased horsepower; they represent an elevation in design, premium content and ride characteristics that are exclusive to the Super badge.”

The Supers are engineered for Buick by the GM Performance Division to inspire performance on demand. The LaCrosse Super is powered by a 300-horsepower (224 kW)* 5.3L small-block V-8 with GM’s Active Fuel Management technology. The LaCrosse Super’s chassis has been sport-tuned to deliver responsive handling characteristics, and the vehicle maintains Buick’s renowned quietness inside.

The Lucerne Super adds a more powerful version of the legendary 4.6L Northstar V-8. It is rated at 292 horsepower (218 kW)*, an increase of more than 6 percent over existing models. The Super has an enhanced chassis with a specially tuned version of Lucerne ’s Magnetic Ride Control system, for a refined, premium ride that simultaneously enables crisp, responsive handling.

Buick Super: elevated design, power and performance

Design elements on the LaCrosse Super and Lucerne Super denote the new face of Buick. Design cues echo those seen on the popular Velite convertible concept vehicle – and recently introduced on the Buick Enclave luxury crossover SUV – including a new waterfall grille and portholes. The LaCrosse Super is the first and only LaCrosse model offered with Buick’s iconic portholes; there are four per side to highlight the V-8 engine.

In addition to distinctive design, the LaCrosse Super and Lucerne Super deliver leading-edge performance and refinement. The 5.3L and 4.6L V-8 engines are renowned for balancing performance and fuel economy. They are complemented by specially tuned suspension systems.

Like all Buick models, LaCrosse and Lucerne Supers are built with an exclusive engineering process called QuietTuning to reduce, block and absorb noise from entering the interior. Laminated side window glass, sound-deadening material in the body structure, hydraulic mounts in the engine compartment and more reduce interior noise. Even exhaust nodes have been tuned for overall sound quality. These features contribute to a quiet, refined driving experience.

While the LaCrosse and Lucerne represent the first production models of the reborn Buick Super series, they will not be the last. Future models will share elements that reinforce the Super ethic, including:
  • Exclusive exterior and interior design appointments
  • Powertrain enhancements
  • Enhanced driving dynamics, with specifically tuned steering, braking and suspension systems for responsive and confident handling
  • Leading levels of interior quietness through Buick’s exclusive QuietTuning engineering effort.

LaCrosse Super

The LaCrosse Super is distinguished from its sibling models with a new exterior appearance that is highlighted by a new waterfall grille, new hood and a new front fascia that incorporates a lower grille opening with chrome trim and chrome fog lamp bezels.

New portholes, rocker moldings, rear fascia with integrated park assist sensors, 3.5-inch-diameter dual chrome exhaust tips, rear decklid spoiler and a Super badge also make the LaCrosse Super instantly identifiable from any angle. LaCrosse Super is offered in four exterior colors: Black Onyx, Platinum Metallic, Dark Mocha Metallic and Red Jewel tint coat.

Inside, the LaCrosse Super exudes comfort and style, including front seats with increased seatback bolstering. All of the seats feature new, woven-embossed leather inserts. A unique wood grain appearance accents the instrument panel, center console, doors and gear shift knob. There are also exclusive instrument cluster graphics – including Super identification – new front sill plates, a silver finish on the instrument panel center stack and Super-specific floor mats.

The LaCrosse Super introduces a V-8 engine that has the fuel efficiency of a V-6. Rated at 300 horsepower (224 kW)* and 323-lb.ft (438 Nm)* of torque, Buick’s new V-8 can propel the LaCrosse Super from 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds. The 5.3L small-block V-8 uses GM’s Active Fuel Management (AFM), an engine technology that seamlessly switches between four- and eight-cylinder power to save fuel.

To support the performance capabilities enabled by the V-8 engine, the LaCrosse Super features a specially tuned suspension system for steering precision, improved ride control and feel, and increased braking performance. Bilstein monotube struts, larger front and rear rotors, high-precision steering gear, StabiliTrak, and recalibrated chassis controls help the LaCrosse Super deliver confident handling and road manners, while also maintaining overall ride comfort.

The Super version comes standard with the largest wheels and tires available on the LaCrosse – 18-inch by 7-inch aluminum wheels wrapped by P235/50R18 all-season tires. Chrome-finish wheels are available.

Lucerne Super adds more luxury appointments

Distinctly designed, the Lucerne Super stands out with a new bright chrome waterfall grille, front and rear fascias, integrated dual exhaust tips, rocker panels, and Super badge on the decklid. Exclusive aluminum wheels and premium all-season tires complete the look, complementing the vehicle’s sport-touring attitude. The Lucerne Super is available in four exterior colors: Dark Mocha Metallic, Gold Metallic, Sharkskin and White Diamond. The interior comes in Ebony or Cocoa/Shale.

Lucerne Super’s refined ride dynamics and increased power make it the sportiest Lucerne available . A more powerful version of the 4.6L Northstar V-8 engine provides the Lucerne Super with an ample power reserve. It is rated at 292 horsepower (218 kW)*, which is 17 horsepower (13 kW) more than the Lucerne CXS.

Lucerne Super’s new premium steering gear, StabiliTrak stability control system, brake assist and specifically calibrated Magnetic Ride Control system help deliver a crisp response and enhanced driver control. It rides on standard 18-inch by 7-inch aluminum wheels wrapped by P245/50R18 all-season radials. The exclusive wheel design is finished in bright silver premium paint. Chrome-plated wheels are available.

The Lucerne Super’s interior wraps occupants in luxury including a leather-wrapped upper instrument panel with French-seam stitching, unique finish on the instrument panel center stack, leather seats with perforated suede fabric inserts for the outboard seating positions, and suede door trim inserts. A heated, real wood steering wheel and shift knob finished in Walnut Burl, power tilt and telescoping steering column, front chrome sill plates and Buick embroidered floor mats round out the Lucerne Super’s special content.

Lucerne Super comes with three standard equipment packages, including Driver Confidence, Luxury and Comfort & Convenience. OnStar’s Directions & Connections with Turn-by-Turn voice-guided navigation, XM Satellite Radio and Harman Kardon audio system are also standard.

All Buick models come standard with the industry’s best coverage, including a four-year/50,000-mile vehicle warranty, and a five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

The Buick LaCrosse Super arrives in dealerships this summer as a 2008 model. The Lucerne Super is scheduled to go on sale in spring 2008. Pricing for both vehicles has not been released.
* Pending SAE certification.

Strange that the Lucerne Super has lower horsepower than the LaCrosse Super. Different engines I know, and the LaX Super output is the same as other Ws with V8s, but shouldn't the Lucerne be more super since it's the senior model?

Edited by moltar

Something tells me these will have practically no impact on the marketplace...

ding ding ding...

we have a winner.

And the new grilles are horrendous.

ding ding ding...

we have a winner.

And the new grilles are horrendous.

The next gens seem like a long ways away... the Epsilon Dos LaX and Zeta Lucerne can't arrive soon enough, I think..

Edited by moltar

Okay, like I said yesterday... I think they should have waited for the NG Buick products. Maybe debuted the "Super" badge with a beefed up Enclave in a year.

Well, look past the initial pics -

1) We know GM press release pics are usually worse than reality -

2) Lucerne & LaCrosse actually gain features that they've been lacking (telescoping steering wheel for example)

3) The HP boost in the Lucerne along with interior upgrades (Leather dash and wood steering wheel/shifter) help distinguish it further from its competitors like Avalon, Sable, and Azera.

4) I like the new wheels on the Lucerne Super already. :)

5) The below pic, added by Fly, make them both look much better than the initial pics:

Posted Image

Well, look past the initial pics -

1) We know GM press release pics are usually worse than reality -

2) Lucerne & LaCrosse actually gain features that they've been lacking (telescoping steering wheel for example)

3) The HP boost in the Lucerne along with interior upgrades (Leather dash and wood steering wheel/shifter) help distinguish it further from its competitors like Avalon, Sable, and Azera.

4) I like the new wheels on the Lucerne Super already. :)

5) The below pic, added by Fly, make them both look much better than the initial pics:

Posted Image

Just to add to what you wrote:

I don't think the non GM press release pics are going to help the giant point in the Lucerne's grille.

The LaCrosse always had since the start, an available telescoping steering wheel.

And the Lucerne already has an available wood steering wheel and shifter.

... also, it was mentioned that the LaCrosse had "exclusive" gauges for the Super trim... they look the same to me.

Yeah, seriously, even with an objective view, these tiny little things really will do no benefit. Just along with your rebate and nice dealer discount, you'll have a somewhat more pleasant center stack finish in some models and a new color...hopefully enough to keep you from thinking about the grille point.

I totally agree. This is another classic example of GM doing something 90% right...but the 10% they don't do is the important thing.

If these both would have cone with 6 speed Automatics, for example, their appeal would be dramatically greater. There are just a LOT of people who don't hate GM, but when these cars are up against the competition at that price point (approaching Acura/Infinit levels...certainly above Toyota levels) and cars with comparable specs can be had with more perceived refinement, they will fail.

I know GM WOULD release the 6 speed automatic with them if these cars were designed for it..or it would fit....or they were able to ramp up production enough.....but the bottom line is they aren't doing any of those things.

Heck, the navigation system is nice...but give it a 6 speed automatic (things that much lesser cars come standard with) even I would consider one of these at that price point.

Edited by mjd1001

I agree 100%.....hence my post in the LaCrosse Photo Gallery about how I couldn't BELIEVE that GM spent development money on these cars.

They really aren't all that distinctive from the standard models.......and one COULD argue that the "Super" models are what the standard Buicks should be anyway.....at least in style, trim, etc., even if not in powertrain.

Can anyone really see a LaCrosse target customer choosing a LaCrosse Super over a Lexus ES350 for similar money? Nah......

Count me in the minority; I think the Super grilles look great. They finally have the aggressive look of the Velite concept's grille.

Now what would it take for me to actually trade in my current ride (300C) for the Lucerne Super? I'd like to see a five or six-speed transmission and a V-8 tuned to run on regular rather than premium fuel. Any word on whether either or both of those is a possibility?

Count me in the minority; I think the Super grilles look great. They finally have the aggressive look of the Velite concept's grille.

Now what would it take for me to actually trade in my current ride (300C) for the Lucerne Super? I'd like to see a five or six-speed transmission and a V-8 tuned to run on regular rather than premium fuel. Any word on whether either or both of those is a possibility?

Both engines run on regular fuel, and as for transmissions, it's pretty much been beaten to death that it's going to be the 4-speed automatic.

the grill on the lacrosse looks much more casual than the lucerne cause of how the lucerne's point at the bottom and the lacrosse's is softer

upgrade for the lacrosse, the lucerne looks kinda odd...?

Just to add to what you wrote:

1) I don't think the non GM press release pics are going to help the giant point in the Lucerne's grille.

2) The LaCrosse always had since the start, an available telescoping steering wheel.

3) And the Lucerne already has an available wood steering wheel and shifter.

4) ... also, it was mentioned that the LaCrosse had "exclusive" gauges for the Super trim... they look the same to me.

1 & 4) We'll have to wait and see...

2) True, but the LaCrosse and Lucerne both have the DTS' streering wheel now. I'm hoping the LaCrosse steering wheel is power instead of manual.

3) Were they real? I can't remember, but I believe they were only available as dealer installed accessories. The Supers' are coming from the factory.

1 & 4) We'll have to wait and see...

2) True, but the LaCrosse and Lucerne both have the DTS' streering wheel now. I'm hoping the LaCrosse steering wheel is power instead of manual.

3) Were they real? I can't remember, but I believe they were only available as dealer installed accessories. The Supers' are coming from the factory.

Not to bum ya out, but I figured out what the "exclusive gauges" were... the font is bold and italic on the numbers. Super.

Guest YellowJacket894

I'll echo the sentiments Car & Driver thought about the ION when it was first tested: "We waited [two] years for this?"

Well, this is official, as well: the Epsilon LaCrosse just better kick the living hell out of any current Buick, even the Lucerne, and be the stunner the Enclave is. The current LaCrosse just falls short in every way possible and the Lucerne isn't that hot as well.

I'll echo the sentiments Car & Driver thought about the ION when it was first tested: "We waited [two] years for this?"

Well, this is official, as well: the Epsilon LaCrosse just better kick the living hell out of any current Buick, even the Lucerne, and be the stunner the Enclave is. The current LaCrosse just falls short in every way possible and the Lucerne isn't that hot as well.

I'm just hoping with how well they nailed the Malibu, they will put at least half the effort into the NG LaCrosse. Otherwise, the Buick brand is going to be 1 SUV and 1 Sedan :AH-HA_wink:

I like the changes, especially more so since the press pictures are out. I am even liking the LaX light duo with the new grill now. I think the revisions are giving Buicks an edgier look, like Acura. This is a good direction for setting Buick style apart from other GMs. Guess we'll have to wait for the new models to get the real Supers, but these will do fine for now. It shows promise of great change as Buick evolves. And I doubt seriously that Buick spent a great portion of their development dollars on these models. They have fluff for marketing, not dramatic model revisions. We'll see the fruit of that money by 2010.

Nice to see they were developed with the help of GMPD though... At least, MAYBE their performance credentials won't get destroyed by the media...

The Lacrosse Super I can live with, because 1) the improvements are welcome and 2) Buick needed it to bridge the gap. But the Lucerne Super has no business existing. Why not just add the features and HUGE power increase to the existing Lucerne and call it a day? Just like MOST of the crop of current SS in Chevrolet and the lame Torrent and G6 GXP, the Lucerne does NOT deserve the Super moniker. GM just keeps whoring it's sub brands out just like it did the main brands for years..... *sigh*

I guess GM did all they could with these two OLD SKOOL GM rigs, but I don't see them getting a return on their investment, unless they're measuring by subjective elements.

Buick deserves some credit for continuous improvement of its cars and bringing back a performance line. I think the loss of the T-Types in the late '80's help foster the old-fogey image of Buick. It's unfortunate that execution of these cars isn't as good as they could be, but it's a step in the right direction.

Calling these models Super is just GM trying as usaul to fool the consumer into thinking theese are significanlty improved or new models which they aren't. Wouldn't the same results and way less money have been spent if Buick just added the 292 HP version of the Northstar to the CSX, added a telescoping column and silver finish to the center stack and given the LaCrosse a much needed new grille and just badged the V8 model GS?

(sigh), I'm not really impressed with these cars. I keep telling myself these are just stop gaps until the "real" Buicks debut. My hope is that they refine the grills on the next gen cars; the Lucerne's seem very pointy, and the LaX's is to big. The Enclave's fit it perfectly. I don't like that the Lucerne's V8 makes less, etc. etc. Honestly, I'm not really disappointed. I'll only be disappointed if a these issuses I have aren't corrected with the next gen vehicles...

Both engines run on regular fuel, and as for transmissions, it's pretty much been beaten to death that it's going to be the 4-speed automatic.

Hey Paolino...

For once we agree on something! You're right, the Super cars will run on regular gas (87 octane). However, I read where Chevy owners are saying the 5.3 V8 runs better with middle-grade (91 octane). But, to get the absolute best performance, premium (93 octane) should be used. I have said in other threads my desire to buy a performance car with comfortable seats. Looks are also important. The LaX-S meets those needs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just learned the LaX Super will not have a front passenger assist handle if it's ordered with a sunroof. Not only that, the 6-way power passenger seat will not be offered as an option (mechanical only). Being disabled, my wife needs an assist handle and 6-way power seat. Her 2000 Regal GSE has a sunroof, front passenger assist handle, and 6-way power passenger seat, so I can't understand why Buick decided to eliminate those extra nice comfort options from their supposed "top-of-the-line" 2008 LaCrosse. Wasn't the LaCrosse supposed to be the replacement model for the discontinued Regal? So unless Buick changes their minds and offers the aforementioned as options, I'm not buying an LaX Super this year.

Edited by jpstax

I like the enlarged grilles.

Passanger assit handle? Easily added by a professional for like $20.

I like the enlarged grilles.

Passanger assit handle? Easily added by a professional for like $20.

Yes I know that (dealer already said he'd have one installed for me). But what about the 6-way power passenger seat? They aren't offering one as an option. So what would you do about that wise ass?

Yes I know that (dealer already said he'd have one installed for me). But what about the 6-way power passenger seat? They aren't offering one as an option. So what would you do about that wise ass?

jpstax is right, these little items can often make or brake a car deal, just because the handle can be added aftermarket doesnt mean that Buick has to be so cheep they can't include it with the car from the start. sixty8panther is missing the point here, this is a current Buick customer who is happy with his Buick and would like to purchase another one yet the new and improved model is missing equiptment he has come to need in his older Buick. Since when has it been ok for a premium car company to remove such basic items as a assist handle and power seat option? This cheepness stinks of the old GM.

jpstax is right, these little items can often make or brake a car deal, just because the handle can be added aftermarket doesnt mean that Buick has to be so cheep they can't include it with the car from the start. sixty8panther is missing the point here, this is a current Buick customer who is happy with his Buick and would like to purchase another one yet the new and improved model is missing equiptment he has come to need in his older Buick. Since when has it been ok for a premium car company to remove such basic items as a assist handle and power seat option? This cheepness stinks of the old GM.

(1) Regarding the front passenger assist handle, I found that out via a phone call to Buick's customer service center. A new car "expert" was positive the handle was only available in cars without the sunroof option. He claimed the Lacrosse sunroofs are very wide and don't leave enough room to install a front passenger assist handle.

(2) Regarding the 6-way power passenger seat, I stand corrected. I e-mailed Buick with a FAQ. Their Marketing Team replied by saying it'll be available only with the Driver Confidence Package (an expensive option on the 2007 Lacrosse CXS). They should have made it a seperate option, but I guess they're trying to make money any way they can.

• 1 month later...

$31k isn't too bad for the LaCrosse Super, but my question is: who's anxiously waiting for these cars to come out? What's the market?

GM-philes could get the same basic goodness for years in the Grand Prix or Impy. Traditional Buickdrivers aren't sportscar guys. And the old school GN (or GNX :)) fans aren't buying into the FWD thing.

Where does that leave these models, other than gathering dust on a showroom floor?

The Supers are said to be at the 2007 BCA National Meet here in Bellevue, WA next week... am I lucky or what!...

I'm looking forward to seeing them in person. :booyah:

Thank our local member Centurion here at C&G for coordinating the National Meet this year. Our two local chapters are hosting the event. :bowdown:

$31k isn't too bad for the LaCrosse Super, but my question is: who's anxiously waiting for these cars to come out? What's the market?

GM-philes could get the same basic goodness for years in the Grand Prix or Impy. Traditional Buickdrivers aren't sportscar guys. And the old school GN (or GNX :)) fans aren't buying into the FWD thing.

Where does that leave these models, other than gathering dust on a showroom floor?

I know of three other "baby boomers" (like myself) who've been waiting a long time for Buick to develop a performance car with comfortable seats and other ammenities for people with bad backs, arthritis, and an assortment of other ailments. I test drove both the Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP, but didn't think the seats were comfortable enough for my ailing back. The Super is supposed to have very comfortable seats with heavy side bolstering and DreamWeave inserts. And 300 Hp is more than enough for me. FWD is also OK; I'm now used to it by now. My main concern is the 5.3 liter V-8 engine's Active Fuel Management system. Is it reliable? I don't want to be stranded on some highway or rural road in the middle of the night because of the system breaking down, albeit OnStar would eventually help rescue me. I think a lot of unjust criticism has been leveled at the LaX super by people who haven't even test driven one. I know it's not a GNX, or GS, nor is it supposed to be.

CARS.com now has pricing for 2008 LaX, including the Super. MSRP is $31,310, Invoice $30,273. The only options are sunroof ($900) and CD Changer ($150).

Cocoa interior available on CXS and Super. No more Tan/Ebony :(

So they're not even offering the chrome wheels as an option? The last I read they were thinking about it (for ~$600-700 extra). I guess they got tired of customers complaining about the chrome plating flaking off (which is exactly what's happening to my '99 Regal GS's wheels).

Edited by jpstax

I know of three other "baby boomers" (like myself) who've been waiting a long time for Buick to develop a performance car with comfortable seats and other ammenities for people with bad backs, arthritis, and an assortment of other ailments. I test drove both the Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP, but didn't think the seats were comfortable enough for my ailing back. The Super is supposed to have very comfortable seats with heavy side bolstering and DreamWeave inserts. And 300 Hp is more than enough for me. FWD is also OK; I'm now used to it by now. My main concern is the 5.3 liter V-8 engine's Active Fuel Management system. Is it reliable? I don't want to be stranded on some highway or rural road in the middle of the night because of the system breaking down, albeit OnStar would eventually help rescue me. I think a lot of unjust criticism has been leveled at the LaX super by people who haven't even test driven one. I know it's not a GNX, or GS, nor is it supposed to be.

The AFM has already been out on the Impala, GP, and the GMT-900s for well over a year now. If there was an issue with the AFM I'm sure we'd have heard about it.

I think that GM has wasted time and money on this project. The exterior of the Lucerne was fine as is (the new grill does not look quite right). What the Lucerne really needs is an engine/transmission upgrade. Retire the antiquated 3.8 liter V6/4 speed automatic combo and give this car both versions of the newer 3.6 liter V6 (regular and direct injection) and the six speed automatic. Some of the money could have been used to upgrade the interior design a little more. I think these things would draw in more customers than a "Super" designation with slightly more power and an new awkward grill design. I like the exterior looks of the Lucerne (it's appropriately smooth, elegant, and understated) and I believe it deserves a better, more dramatic interior design and a competitive engine/transmission combo.

As far as the LaCrosse, it is a lost cause. With a new Regal on the horizon, I again would not have invested the time and money on this car. I think the grill update works as far as bringing the LaCrosse closer in tune with Buick's current design philosophy. That's about all I would have done to the LaCrosse. The rest of the money I would have spent on developing new and competitive products for the near luxury market.

I'm not saying that Buick wouldn't eventually benefit from performance products or resurrecting the "Super" designation in the future. I just think that the division has more pressing priorities on its plate at the moment.

I believe GM is serious about and doing well with its turn around plan; I just think this is a half step in the wrong direction.

As far as the LaCrosse, it is a lost cause. With a new Regal on the horizon, I again would not have invested the time and money on this car. I think the grill update works as far as bringing the LaCrosse closer in tune with Buick's current design philosophy. That's about all I would have done to the LaCrosse. The rest of the money I would have spent on developing new and competitive products for the near luxury market.

I'm not saying that Buick wouldn't eventually benefit from performance products or resurrecting the "Super" designation in the future. I just think that the division has more pressing priorities on its plate at the moment.

I believe GM is serious about and doing well with its turn around plan; I just think this is a half step in the wrong direction.

I couldn't disagree with you more, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm very happy with the Super's design, and I'm sure I'll be more than happy with its engine upgrade. As I said in a previous post, I test drove the Impala SS and GP GXP, and was very impressed with their performance, but not seat comfort. I've already ordered a Red Jewel Tintcoat Super (being built this week at Oshawa #2). It'll come with what were extra-cost options on the CXS as standard equipment, the main reason its MSRP is $31,310. I think that was a wise decision by Buick.