I'm headed to Detroit & GM...

Well, now that its all confirmed, allow me to share the great news. I have been invited to attend the Saturn Brand Advocate Board Meeting in Detroit as a representative of Cheers and Gears. This trip is all-expenses paid courtesy of Saturn and General Motors and includes tours of the GM Heritage Center, Milford Proving Grounds, and the Delta Township Assembly Plant (assly location of the Lambda crossovers) as well as a chance to meet and speak with Jill Lajdziak, Saturn Brand Manager. I will be away from April 18-20th.

Needless to say, I am very, very honored and excited to have this opportunity and that pride carries over to the organization we have here. What this symbolizes above all else is the influence websites like Cheers and Gears are having on GM's corporate culture. As 'Brand Advocates,' we go beyond the actions of the normal consumer who is merely a satisfied and often repeat buyer of a product; we not only buy the product but encourage others to do so by extolling their virtues and going above and beyond to create a positive image for that product. For us, that product is General Motors and its divisions. And that positive advocacy is created by this website. By participating and contributing the C&G, I'd like to think that we all positively influence GM in our own little ways. So, thank you.

Finally, I'd like to ask anyone who has a question about Saturn, its products, and its future to please submit them to me so I can ask them if the opportunity arises.

Just wanted to share the news. And expect plenty of pictures that weekend!

Very cool opportunity, Fly. Good luck with everything! I've been in the Milford Proving Grounds, but haven't seen anything "inside" so to speak; that would be amazing to see. Again, good luck, have a safe trip, and I know you'll be sure to share everything you can!

Congrats Fly, sounds awesome....if you could though....please tell them Saturn is turning out tobe a very nice addition to GM....but we want Oldsmobile back too....lol....cause this may be our only chance! :CG_all:

Serious questions I'm posting here Fly:

1. When will Saturn start accepting the GM Card earnings?

Now that Saturn is considered a "GM Division", they need to get on this program ASAP. The wife and I are looking to buy either an Acadia or Outlook in 2008 (unless I can get her to let me finally get the Sierra :P ), but the ultimate decision-maker will be when the GM Card earnings we have get factored in. Why should Saturn lose out on more sales because they don't accept GM Card earnings? This has to change and quickly.

2. Why is Saturn not issuing more licensing rights for merchandise?

I've had my SKY for almost a year now. I can hardly find anything collectible in the marketplace. Yet the Solstice has books, diecasts in all sizes, various t-shirts, you get the point. Car people like to buy car-related things. Saturn wants to reinvent their image and by issuing more licensing rights, it will definitely help in reaching that goal. Plus it's another good way to make more $$$ for them!

That's it for now; if I think of more I'll post them here.

Also, let me just say that I'm very jealous of you getting to go to a Saturn event :angry: . Please tell them to think of me for next year's event - or if it's not too late, invite me to this years :P . Heck, I've bought (2) 2007 Saturns in one year - you don't even have one!!! Not Fair! :P

You are very lucky to be able to take part in an opportunity like this. The Heritage Center has an awesome collection of cars, and is definitely a worthwhile place to check out. If you have the chance to go for a ride on Black Lake at the Milford Proving Grounds, do it. It is really cool.

If you have the chance to go for a ride on Black Lake at the Milford Proving Grounds, do it. It is really cool.

I always wanted to do that.

Its funny though because when your in a helicopter or small airplane it looks like small lake.

You're very lucky, indeed. I am fairly certain that the mandarins in Detroit are aware of this, but my opinion of unmolested Opel product is very high. Even though I am also fairly certain that this is slitting my own future as a Chevrolet salesperson, I strongly believe GM needs to get this product here to both the U.S. and Canada - now. Unmolested. Not only will it put Saturn in a great position when $5 and higher gasoline hits these shores, but it will put GM ahead of Ford and certainly on par with Mazda and Honda in the fuel sipping/fun-to-drive category.

Again, they may already be well aware of all this, but it seems that only very recently has Detroit/Oshawa taken Honda and Toyota seriously and in the mad scramble to produce great cars and trucks in North America, they already have said product in Europe and South America.

The time, date and exact location of the first public road test of a GMX521 prototype.

Also take a camera with you to Milford. The worst they can do is say "you can't bring that in here." GM has been known to "accidentally" drive prototypes in front of groups of media/analysts before.

I am interested in knowing if an Astra Redline is in the works, and on a totally opposite tack, if they are closer to making a decision on bringing the diesel engine we've read about here to the US in the Astra.

The time, date and exact location of the first public road test of a GMX521 prototype.

Also take a camera with you to Milford. The worst they can do is say "you can't bring that in here." GM has been known to "accidentally" drive prototypes in front of groups of media/analysts before.

Oh man, lucky I'm not going. I might be walking around with a woody for that part of the day...

Is that what I think it is??? <_<

Fly ask about the future of Diesel at Saturn.

Ask them if they can expand the RWD product.

Also please stress how important it is that the

Cadillac SIXTEEN become a producton reality.

Hardtops (pillarless, that is) should make a

comeback and things like bench seats are not

something that dies away. They should always

be offered, hell I still wish they still made

three-on-the-tree for god's sake. :P:lol:

Praise Zeta, pushrod V8 technology... like

displacent-on-demand & of course the fact

that a retrp Camero became a reality.

We need more manual transmissions BTW.

Fly ask about the future of Diesel at Saturn.

Damn, you beat me to it. This is a huge question for Saturn's future.

Also worth asking about would be the Opel GTC concept and if there are any Saturn implications.

Congrats, enjoy and keep the eyes peeled. I've been fortunate enough to be at a couple of previews and sometimes the "accidents" aren't as blatent as Doane made them sound, they can be subtle too.

Is that what I think it is??? <_<

Erm, yes?

Isn't GMX521 a Zeta Monte Carlo?

Ask about these if you can:

GMX511 (convertible) - Velite?

GMX521 (coupe) - Monte Carlo?

GMX551 (sedan) - Impala?

Zoinks! No, no...well on the first 2 anyway. MC is waaaay dead.

GMX511 = Camaro vert

GMX521 = Camaro coupe

GMX551 = Chevy sedan

Erm, yes?

Zoinks! No, no...well on the first 2 anyway. MC is waaaay dead.

GMX511 = Camaro vert

GMX521 = Camaro coupe

GMX551 = Chevy sedan

Chris, it was what I thought.

An aside are the numbers randomly assigned or do the numbers of GMX/GMT codes have any specific order? As in the previously planned Chevy Zeta coupe was GMX284 and the new one is 521. Does it indicate size or cost or platform? I know you aren't in on the meetings deciding codes but I am sure you hear and see enough to figure things out.

• 2 weeks later...

Question I have so far:

I'm wondering if NA would ever see a Saturn version of the GTC concept, and in turn, the new Vectra/Aura. Also if they can confirm the rumours that they are dropping the Vectra name, and would Saturn follow the suit when the next Vectra/Aura comes. Will it ride on the new platform with the next G6?

Also, when are we getting the Corsa?

Ask them if they can expand the RWD product.

Also please stress how important it is that the

Cadillac SIXTEEN become a producton reality.

Hardtops (pillarless, that is) should make a

comeback and things like bench seats are not

something that dies away. They should always

be offered, hell I still wish they still made

three-on-the-tree for god's sake. :P:lol:

Praise Zeta, pushrod V8 technology... like

displacent-on-demand & of course the fact

that a retrp Camero became a reality.

We need more manual transmissions BTW.

Dude, this is a Saturn Brand Advocate Board Meeting...