Looking for a new car in about 6-12 months...

Looking for a new car in about 6-12 months...  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose in my position?

• 2008 Malibu LTZ V6
    • 2008 Aura XR
    • 2008 LaCrosse CXS
    • 2008 Lucerne CXL
    • 2008 Accord LX V6
    • Other... (please explain in a post)

Here's the situation: Recently my catalytic converter started to go. It's made me start thinking... the car is 15 years old, runs VERY well, but there are a million and one "little" things wrong with it, and the body isn't in the best shape--the paint job is HORRIBLE, and there are some signs of rust in the wheel wells as well as around the door frames. The interior gets wet when it rains because seals are going, and the dash is cracked in half from when my radio was ripped out. The fuel gauge isn't accurate, the transmission gauge isn't either (not that it matters, you know what gear you're in by how many clicks you shift the stalk). Things in the trunk get wet and stay wet for some unknown reason (even when it hasn't rained in a long while).

I really should get a new car.

I won't be in the market for a car until spring/summer 2008. I love a quiet, boulevard cruiser, but there are many times when I want to rev the engine a little and feel some power (not looking for a sportscar, but don't want to slosh all over the damn road). I want to spend about 25,000. I need legroom because I'm tall, and I want an auto. Fuel economy is kind-of a moot point since my commute is VERY short now. Here is what I'm considering:

2008 Malibu LTZ V6 - LOVE the look of the new Malibu as well as the powertrain offerings.

2008 Aura XR - Love the look of the Aura. HATE the wheels the XR has. I haven't test-driven one, but I believe the Aura would be fairly quiet, but have the power/handling I might enjoy.

2008 LaCrosse CXS - The "sportiest" LaCrosse. I'll be honest... turned off by the weaker version of the 3.6, the 4-speed auto, but it's a Buick. And you know how I feel about Buicks...

2008 Lucerne CXL - This would be my boulevard cruiser--but it lacks the power I would want for some fun, and it's pushing the price past my limit.

2008 Accord LX V6 - Don't hate me, but I LOVE the interior of the current Accord, and I'm thinking I might like the new one providing it doesn't have the interior of the Civic. Need to see the production version of the car. I have found my friend's 2002 Accord EX V6 silky smooth and fairly quiet after 53,000 miles to date.

Any other suggestions?

I'd even consider a 9-3, but with a few options, the price quickly gets up to and over $30,000.

At this point, I'd like to avoid getting a used car. I've never owned a new car, and I would really like one.

Malibu or Aura (you can always get different wheels)...have you considered an Avenger R/T or do you hate it?

HATE it.

What about a Milan? Mazda6? Altima? Of the list you have, I would go with either the Malibu or Accord.

Damn, forgot about the Milan! Altima I think is fugly.

Depending on your timing, Aura or Malibu. If you can't wait until after the New Year, you will probably get a better deal on the Aura. By a year from now, the Malibu should be in sufficient quantities on dealer lots that you will be able to get better choice and deals.

LaCrosse CXS mainly 'cause of the deal.

How much do you think I could shave off a CXS Fly? It'd be nice to get one for just under 25.

Damn Fly, I didn't think they'd be that cheap! For me a Lucerne CXL V8 or CXS would have been ideal, but I just naturally assumed they'd be over 30,000 and I couldn't afford them.

If it were me, I'd be waiting for the new Malibu, or the new Accord.

Although the Aura is a nice vehicle, when I finally got to see it up close, and see, and feel the interior, I felt somewhat disappointed. However, a Buick Lucerne would be tempting.

Honda has some of the most refined vehicles in their classes. It's amazing how well the current 5-year old Accord still stands up to newer vehicles. I'd wait until the fall before getting too set on anything. Nothing in GM's current stable of mid-size cars excites me. The new Malibu has potential, but we're all used to sky high expectations not being met.

Well, I'll be honest, I had no idea the Lucerne with a V8 would be so affordable after a few miles on it, so that throws things into a new perspective. I'd love to have the Northstar... I'd take a CXL V8 or CXS over the other choices listed any day.

So far the Malibu is winning in the pole! :)

I still look at the Lucerne on the road and love its presence. It, to me, is a classy car.

I'd go with the Malibu. Looks to be a fantastic vehicle. But as with any vehicle purchase, making a decision 6-12 months in advance is a little goofy. I wouldn't buy a brand new Accord under any circumstances, but if you're considering it, I'd wait and give them all a nice test drive when they become available for purchase.

I'd go with the Malibu. Looks to be a fantastic vehicle. But as with any vehicle purchase, making a decision 6-12 months in advance is a little goofy. I wouldn't buy a brand new Accord under any circumstances, but if you're considering it, I'd wait and give them all a nice test drive when they become available for purchase.

Oh, I'm not making a decision now... I'm just thinking out loud. I would absolutely test drive all vehicles before I make my decision. I can proudly say there won't be a Toyota on the list when I go scouting :AH-HA_wink:

Hmm... I honestly have no idea. I imagine Paulie in a Buick, but others are better vehicles. I would choose the Accord, but I have no idea what it looks like yet, obvously. Myself, personally, I would have to go with "Other" as none of them really make me say "Oh... I must own this". :P

I voted Lucerne, but agree you should look at the Milan, which may be a little on the small side. I would recommend the MKZ, but its a bit pricier than you're talking, although it is the best of the FuLanZ trio.

You could probably find a nice Zephyr with 10K miles for $10K off MSRP, too.

While we're into the whole soft luxury theme, how about a Volvo S40 or Acura TSX? They're a little more stylish than what we've mentioned, but like Buick, they're also not-quite-luxury, "premium" brands. Both have some of the most comfortable interiors I've been in.

You could probably find a nice Zephyr with 10K miles for $10K off MSRP, too.

While we're into the whole soft luxury theme, how about a Volvo S40 or Acura TSX? They're a little more stylish than what we've mentioned, but like Buick, they're also not-quite-luxury, "premium" brands. Both have some of the most comfortable interiors I've been in.

I don't think the TSX or S40 will be soft enough. He's coming from an A-body Century, putting him into a TSX will be shock to his system.

I don't think the TSX or S40 will be soft enough. He's coming from an A-body Century, putting him into a TSX will be shock to his system.

You have a good point there... you have no idea how big a shock it was when I replaced the original front struts of my car... every bump was magnified like 10 times!

Of course, you'll test drive all of your potentials, but looking in from what you've told us, perhaps the Lacrosse will be the smoothest and quietest of the new cars on your list. The CPO Lucerne would top them all though, I'd guess, if you want to settle for another pre-owned vehicle.

I vote for the Lacrosse. You want a cruiser with a little oomph...under $25k...and here it is.

Even the base 3.8 feels great, the ride is quiet, and the handling is better than one would expect. This car is priced just right, and there will surely be incentives to make the deal even easier.

The Certified Pre-owned are fine...but come on, treat yourself to the luxury and satisfaction of a NEW car.

If you can swing the pricing on the Lucerne, great. Go for it. Otherwise, don't cloud your mind with all the other options you asked us to vote on: Aura, Malibu, and Accord are going to be too stiff and crisp if a cruiser is your style.

Edited by jlgolden

Alright, it's sounding like I'll be looking for a Lucerne CXL V8 (CPO of course), or a Malibu LTZ V6.

Will have to test drive them all before making a choice though.

I guess I'll repost after I make the test drives in a few months.

Hyundai Azera? Pushing close to that $25K mark I know, but the big Sonata is a relative bargain in the US (it's priced closer to the ES350 elsewhere, and they complain sales are too low :P ).

Although the V6 Sonata drives nice, I HATE the looks inside and out.

Of those choices, I voted LaCrosse CXS since you like the S.

The Aura may seem cramped for someone your height. I felt cramped.

The Malibu will be an all-new model, plus it's on the Aura chassis, I believe. Wait the extra year or two, but it sounds like you need it now.

The Lucerne...I think you're too young for it, though that hasn't stopped Fly and 98 from going "boulevard."

The Accord...that would make you a "Benedict Arnold" on this forum.

You know what they say about returning to "first impressions," be it a multiple choice test or whatever.

Lucerne CXS V8...classy car all around, and ventiports....its the way to go...

I'm also of the boulevard type along with Fly and 98, my Delta 88 and Riviera prove this. The Lucerne is a four door Riviera IMO, so I'd go with that.

How about a Mazda 6? New one in 08. I have heard Fords 260hp 3.5L will be in it.

Mazdas have very sporty chasiss dynamics and are fun to drive. For sure take a look at the Malibu and Aura--but the Malibus is all DOHC V6's--where in the AUra you have to get the top modle to get that great engine.