Drew Dowdell

Chrysler Imperial one step closer to production

61 posts in this topic

Chrysler Imperial one step closer to production

Link to Autoblog

Posted Image

Chrysler may be in the middle of a major ownership change, but the beat goes on when it comes to future vehicle plans. The folks over at The Star are reporting that Chrysler is going to build a fifth model at their Brampton plant in Ontario, which currently assembles the 300, Charger, and Magnum. Challenger production is scheduled for next year, and the fifth vehicle, which could be built in 09' as a 2010 model, is expected to be the Imperial.

Chrysler is reportedly investing $700 million in the Brampton plant to bring the Imperial to life, and the Rolls-Royce and Bentley wannabe is expected to ride on an extended version of Chrysler's LX platform. The Imperial, which sported a 6.1L Hemi V8 as a concept, could also receive a diesel engine. Chrysler has yet to make an announcement on an additional vehicle at Brampton, but word is it that Chrysler Executive Vice President of Manufacturing Frank Ewasyshn is expected to do so June 11.

We aren't sold on the chunky, blocky, copycat looks of the Imperial, but Chrysler apparently thinks enough Americans will want the beast that they've all but pulled the trigger on making it all official.

I wonder if they've changed it since the concept.

It actually looks pretty good in the photo.

I wonder if they've changed it since the concept.

It actually looks pretty good in the photo.

Have you ever seen it in person? The nose on that thing is about the same height as an Envoy.

That's pretty huge.

Its really an unattractive car and certainly the last thing Chrysler should be worried about building right now. Seriously.

I still like teh front...it's from the B-pillar back that they need to fix.

Dear Chrysler,

Please stop dreaming and building ugly ass, huge, heavy, unimportant vehicles, which will have pathetic slab sided interiors regardless, which no people will buy.

Instead build something substantial, that people want with terrific interiors, and quality that will bitchslap the import humpers back into your showrooms. In addition to building emotion among the Mopar Community who will buy it passionately.

Yours Truly,

An American Car Fan

Its really an unattractive car and certainly the last thing Chrysler should be worried about building right now. Seriously.

At least it will match the rest of their lineup......

Dear Chrysler,

Please stop dreaming and building ugly ass, huge, heavy, unimportant vehicles, which will have pathetic slab sided interiors regardless, which no people will buy.

Instead build something substantial, that people want with terrific interiors, and quality that will bitchslap the import humpers back into your showrooms. In addition to building emotion among the Mopar Community who will buy it passionately.

Yours Truly,

An American Car Fan

Good point, because what they need is good volume cars now...not niche cars.

P U, something stinks! :puke:

Sounds like a personal problem :P

i could car less how it looks, cause I dont' plan on buying on, as long as they keep pumping money into our economy.

Dear Chrysler,

Yours Truly,

An American Car Fan

WHAT MOPAR COMMUNITY

This thing is a monstrosity.

WHAT MOPAR COMMUNITY

Wow, that was one of the more ignorant posts I've seen on this forum.

I saw it in person and I assure you this car makes a mockery of Imperial name. <_<

This is almost as bad (close 2nd) as those $hitty Dodge Dynasty/Chrysler New Yorker

based midsize FWD Imperials of the early 1990s with the bread & butter baby V6s.

If the Chrysler 300 sells, this'll probably sell, too.

Even if it is ugly. If Chrysler gets even one rap star interested, it becomes an instant sales success.

If the Chrysler 300 sells, this'll probably sell, too.

Even if it is ugly. If Chrysler gets even one rap star interested, it becomes an instant sales success.

Except this is twice as expensive.

It won't sell to people of taste.... luckily for Chrysler, there aren't many of those left in the U.S.

...copycat looks of the Imperial...

What's wrong with paying homage to one of your own past models ??

Posted Image

Posted Image

I sure can see the quad, free-standing round headlights, the 'brow' above them, the horizontal grillework and the thin horizontal elements below the headlights on both Imperials. Looks like a logical progression to me.

I, for one, like the Imperial and I'm glad its going to enter production.

I'd honestly rather see big American sedans again than to see the roads littered with tiny little Japan-inspired economy cars.

Edited by AxelTheRed

Chrysler needs to dig into the 90s concept bin...they had some good stuff like the Chronos that would make a great Imperial. I miss the swoopey Chryslers...the 300C was a breath of fresh air, but everything since then has been blocky and trucky looking. Even the Sebring looks kinda pigish.

Mopar used to have some real style back in the 60s and early 70s. The great thing about Chrysler today is that they really have a tendency to surprise...unlike Ford where I've been waiting for eons for an updated RWD full-size and ANYTHING at all to happen to Mercury. Chrysler surprised me with both the Challenger and the Imperial...and even though the Imperial is kinda ugly, at least it's getting built unlike Lincoln's concepts over the last 5 years. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought Plymouth back from the dead...ChryCo tends to do the unexpected. I wish Ford had the product push like Chrysler does...Chrysler just gets things done, even if they aren't done perfectly all the time. They have a knack for make a hit when it is needed (300C).

What's wrong with paying homage to one of your own past models ??

Posted Image

Posted Image

I sure can see the quad, free-standing round headlights, the 'brow' above them, the horizontal grillework and the thin horizontal elements below the headlights on both Imperials. Looks like a logical progression to me.

So why does their current execution look so bad?

The '62's grille is rather bland and nondescript, but its not the centerpiece; rather, the eye-catcher is the dynamic chrome prow that wraps and sweeps down the fuselage over floating round headlamps. Its low, wide, and beautiful.

The concept has headlights buried in this rectangular alcove. It looks like a Continental with busted headlamp doors.

Posted Image

And the concept's grille is so JC Whitney that I bet they actually sold something very similar for the stock 300. Combined with the absolutely wasteful dead slab of wasteland beneath the headlamp cutouts, and you're left with a bad joke.

Its tall, narrow, bulky, has suicide doors, and looks ridiculous...like a Phantom.

What irritates me is not ten years ago, Chrysler built this...

Posted Image

Its low, long, sleek. Its modern yet classic. Its unmistakably Chrysler and undeniably timeless. The Chronos would transcend age; this 'Imperial' concept would fade worse than an Earl Scheib paintjob.

You know, Fly- I cannot disagree with a single word you said (well... I sort of like the fact that it has suicide doors; sorry). Overall, this current proposal is Not Good to the point of Completely Awful.

BTW- is there some reason you might not be able to read PMs from me? I answered your PM to me from the other week, but for some reason I feel mine aren't getting thru...

Fly said it all... althought suicide doors are cool and there's NOTHING

boring or bland about the 1962 Imperial!

I've sent Fly three PMs over the past two months asking if it was

too late to order one of each of the calendars and NOTHING....

I think Fly tends to forget to check his inbox... I also tend to get silence for responses. :P

As for the Imperial, I must agree with Fly. This Imperial is pathetic while the Cronos is something I actually like, as well as many other Chrysler concepts of the 90s.