TCC unveils Yukon and Yukon Denali early!

I'm WAY disappointed that the interior doesn't look any different (at first glance) from the uplevel Tahoe.... I actually like the Tahoe's new front end BETTER. The only good thing about the GMC is the Denali's H.O. V8. Other than the engine, I'd take an uplevel Tahoe over any GMC at this juncture.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More pics.

Looks hot in this pic:
Posted Image

This one gives us a better idea of the grille and how it is shaped... Lots of Envoy in there.
Posted Image

Second window glass could've flowed much better without the C-pillar kicking back IMO
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think the headlights are whats throwing a lot of people off... Some may think they crest too much and should've been shorter. By cresting into the hood it gives off a car-like (feminine) vibe instead of a muscular truck vibe like the wrap around Tahoe lights.

It looks like the big brother of the Mercury Mountaineer

[post="24070"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I first thought that too. But I think there is a lot of resemblance to the Expedition too. The front end just doesnt do it for me. I may like it more over time but I like the old Denali more. But you know, I never did like the smaller GMT-800s, so maybe when the Suburban/XL pictures are released I will think differently. I do think the Yukons will be a big hit.

I do agree that Im a bit dissapointed with the lack of a different interior. I can't really ask for a completely different, but enough differentiation to give it more flare or a different feel. What we are doing right now though, is exactly what GM wants though. Differentiation. You are already picking sides. You look at the Yukon, and all of the sudden you like the Tahoe a lot better. In your mind, the Tahoe has seemingly made a jump in you conscience as a potential vehicle to buy, if your in the market for an SUV. Before it was like GMC, Chevy, whatever. But now, depending on your tastes, you like one I guess more than another by a larger margin. Which is a good thing, as GMC and Chevy's markets will now become a bit less generalized, and a bit more defined.

Just noticed: Yukon gets more interior wood.  Center console, Tahoe just has a plastic bin.

[post="24074"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

More than that. The nickel satin finish, those awesome titanium gauges... this is a beautiful interior. Look at the steering wheel!! It's got a wood ring going around the wheel, and i love the design of the interior. The interior's definitely the highpoint, IMO. The Yukon looks bland, but the Denali looks more like a soft Escalade. If I bought the Yukon it'd have to be the Denali.

very good point I hadn't thought of that - GMC is becoming the Buick SUV

but where does that leave "Professional Grade"?

[post="24142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I thought of that too. GM is making GMC the SUV compliment to both Pontiac and Buick... more Buick though. Buick will probably have just two brand car based suvs (Theta and Lambda) in future, and Pontiac (Theta and Lambda) will probably have the same... That leaves space for true SUVs with a Premium image to compliment the cars. They're doing what Ford did with Jag and Land Rover.

I think it's really ugly. Whereas the Yukon/Denali was the best-looking GMT-800, so far, it's the worst looking 900. I like the metal accents on the steering wheel, but there's too much wood. I prefer the Tahoe... or even the current Denali, exterior-wise.

I like it..very clean.  I like how the front end is evolved from the Envoy design.

I esp. like the sides--very clean and minimalist with only a rub strip and no tacky cladding or other glued-on junk.

[post="24169"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

that's what i was going to say where the grill came from....

This is an absolutley eloquent vehicle. It appears that one thing that GM has done very successfully with the GMT-900 program is enhance the workmanship of these vehicles. I do not think anyone would argue that the GMT-800's didn't have some of the finest engineering and quality of construction, BUT the problem was that it did not show on the surface. This time around the outside package (including the interior and exterior) demonstrates the same WORLD-CLASS engineering that goes into the rest of the vehicle, ie. the hydro-formed construction, top of the class drive-train, and durability of chasiss. At first glance and with GM poor photography department, the GMT-900's appear bland in the side profiles, but with a careful eye the level of detail and panel fits is AMAZING. There is nothing bland about these vehicles, GM has a hit on its hands and its competitors are going to be caught with their pants down. Its about time because it has always seemed that the competitors did this to GM. Another key to remember if the 20/27 MPG numbers are correct is that they did not get all of those improvements from the drivetrain, extensive work went into the design to reduce air turbulance thus increasing the aerodynamic performance of these vehicles.

What's this about the F150 tow rating??

[post="24233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

When the lastest gen F150 was introduced, it had a tow rating of 9500 lbs. Then the Titan was introduced with a 9500 lbs tow rating. So, Ford changed their's soon after to 9900 lbs making it best in class.

Another key to remember if the 20/27 MPG numbers are correct is that they did not get all of those improvements from the drivetrain, extensive work went into the design to reduce air turbulance thus increasing the aerodynamic performance of these vehicles.

[post="24247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Aerodynamics have little effect on city mileage. The only way I see 21 combined mileage is if they can get something like 16 in the city and 26 on the highway. That would be a 6 miles per gallon gain on the highway.

*EDIT* Where did you get the 20/27 mpg number? Edited by Derek77

It looks like an over grown Envoy. I am not sure if I like it... The interior looks just like the Tahoe. I think and thought there would be MORE of a difference between the Tahoe and Yukon. :( I like the OLD Denali much better. :)

if you look closely at the center stack in this picture (http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/GMT900/Yukon/yukh9.jpg), you can see a series of butons under the HVAC controls. It looks like (from left to right) 'pedal adjustment, ultrasonic parking, and i assume that one of the remaining 4 are for stabilitrack. Any idea what the other ones are? It almost looks like the 5th one from the left is a ride hight adjustment...?

Of course Derek77, aerodynamics have little to do in the city, but they do on the highway which is a portion of combined mileage. This increase in aerodynamics is claimed to help a lot. I apologize I should have been more clear, the ~20 is combined, not city mileage. The way I wrote it makes it appear as though it is. The 27 is the number that has been thrown around as the highway mileage on this forum. Edited by jd2b

It also looks like the new Denali will have the option to have a low range 4wd instead of just full time all wheel drive (http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/GMT900/Yukon/yukh9.jpg) Any idea if you are still going to have to remove your CD in order to use the DVD navigation? Or will they finally install a seperate DVD drive for the navigation? It sounds like the DoD will not be available on the Denali though..right?

Hmm... if the sporty car division of BPG reverts to stacked headlights for its next new face, they'll fit right in. Anoyone know if Pontiac is toying with returning to stacked headlights for the future?

I do agree that Im a bit dissapointed with the lack of a different interior. I can't really ask for a completely different, but enough differentiation to give it more flare or a different feel. What we are doing right now though, is exactly what GM wants though. Differentiation. You are already picking sides. You look at the Yukon, and all of the sudden you like the Tahoe a lot better. In your mind, the Tahoe has seemingly made a jump in you conscience as a potential vehicle to buy, if your in the market for an SUV. Before it was like GMC, Chevy, whatever. But now, depending on your tastes, you like one I guess more than another by a larger margin. Which is a good thing, as GMC and Chevy's markets will now become a bit less generalized, and a bit more defined.

[post="24194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

GREAT POINT!!!

What's this about the F150 tow rating??

[post="24233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Initially Ford underated the F-150 tow rating to throw off Nissan and their Titan. So when they (simultaneously) came to market Ford upped the rating by 500 lbs to its actual stat.

It was just a good way for them to keep their competitve edge when they were bench marked.

So, essentially maybe GM isn't showing it's full hand of cards yet.

Now that I look back on it, I'm a bit disappointed. I mean, if the TrailBlazer/EXT and Envoy/XL can have fully different exterior and interior styling/design and a different dashboard, why are Tahoe and Yukon exempt? The body is too soft, especially on the GMC, which should be chiseled professional grade. They may be raking in the profits, but they're still little more than a rebadged/regrilled Chevy. Sad, sad, sad. And why will the 4800 V-8 be standard in Tahoe or Yukon 2WD?

[post="24194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So very true....

Initially Ford underated the F-150 tow rating to throw off Nissan and their Titan. So when they (simultaneously) came to market Ford upped the rating by 500 lbs to its actual stat.

It was just a good way for them to keep their competitve edge when they were bench marked.

So, essentially maybe GM isn't showing it's full hand of cards yet.

So maybe it'll get 40 MPG's? :lol: :booyah: Edited by mr.nice

I think it's nice. Not groundbreaking, but that's how Lutz likes cars. It's a non-aggressive look, unlike DCX and Nissan SUVs.

[post="24370"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Which are both outsold by a huge margin by the Ford and GM SUVs. Would you take the chance if it was your money on the line?

Which are both outsold by a huge margin by the Ford and GM SUVs. Would you take the chance if it was your money on the line?

Exactly... the Nissan Armada and Dodge Durango are agressively ugly, IMHO... the GMC is clean and 'professional grade'.... I'd have to say I like the Tahoe front end better, but both look very clean and stylish for large SUVs, IMHO...

Being a GMC Guy, I was really excited waiting for this moment. Weird but all the pictures have just left me feeling bland. :( Maybe I was hoping for to much, but this just looks like a bland auto that fads into the background. Guess I only have 1 chance left for something that stands out. The Escalade, if they do not do that right guess I hold onto my 94 suburban a bit longer. Damn lutz and his lack of cleaning up the warts on top also. :(

I would have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting more. The exterior looks nice, but only in Denali form. Even then it looks outdated and bland. Then there is the area between the rear hatch the rear side window. It is painted black, but it it higher than both the windows. It looks terrible. As for the interior.... I thought it would be more different than that. A few touches here and there just isn't enough. With that said, I like the Tahoe better. But, atleast they're not exactly the same...

C'mon BV, be fair...the current Yukon has the same blackened pillar that goes above the rear cargo windows as well:

Posted Image
versus:
Posted Image

The effect on both is for the rear to be blacked out, which is it.

Edited by Croc

I'm also disappointed. There always seems to be a "but" somewhere. I like the rear end but the black D pillars look cheap, especially since they're larger than the side and rear windows, and should be body-colored. The Tahoe, if any, should have had the black D pillars as it's the cheapest one. I like the side profile but it reminds me too much of the Expedition. I like the interior but, save for a few pieces, it's the same as the Tahoe. I wasn't expecting a brand new design just a little bit more difference. The front I'm not sure about. Part of me likes it but most of me doesn't. GMC is supposed to be "professional grade" and while I realize Yukons will never see a construction site or other heavy duty, their design is supposed to say something along the lines of "masculine toughness," not "Gucci bitch." Leave that to the Escalade. As for this design on the Sierra, it won't work. Feminine truck designs don't go over well. I like the Tahoe better. I sincerely hope the Escalade is the best of the 3.

Did anyone else notice the wood all around the steering wheel? I didn't notice that when I first looked at the pics (and I didn't read all the replies). I like it better as I see it more, and I do think it will look better in person. For whatever reason, vehicles with the headlights set somewhat far back from the grill (like the grill is pushed forward, sort of like a nose) seem to photograph oddly but look fine in person. I really hope the Escalade has a floor shifter, and I think it will since the interior is totally different (or at least it's supposed to be). I just think in a luxury vehicle you should have a floor shifter.

Did anyone else notice the wood all around the steering wheel? I didn't notice that when I first looked at the pics (and I didn't read all the replies).

Actually, I didn't. Then again, I was (and am) too tired to notice details like that when they don't jump out at me.

I like it better as I see it more, and I do think it will look better in person. For whatever reason, vehicles with the headlights set somewhat far back from the grill (like the grill is pushed forward, sort of like a nose) seem to photograph oddly but look fine in person.

Like the DTS?

I think that rear window spoiler/CHMSL is fooling everyone into thinking the D pillar applique is "taller" than the back glass. That spoiler is hanging over the glass, without it, the glass would go all the way up, even with the top of the applique.

Hmm... if the sporty car division of BPG reverts to stacked headlights for its next new face, they'll fit right in.  Anoyone know if Pontiac is toying with returning to stacked headlights for the future?

[post="24270"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

*cough* Solstice *cough* http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif