What Are You Listening To?

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Do tell!

I'd have to check my sister's notes, but all these guys are/were 3rd - 12th cousins, IIRC.

Ted Bundy

Gary Ridgeway (Green River Killer)

Dennis Rader (BTK Killer)

John Wayne Gacy

Jeffrey Dahmer

Henry Lee Lucas

20 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd have to check my sister's notes, but all these guys are/were 3rd - 12th cousins, IIRC.

Ted Bundy

John Wayne Gacy

Jeffrey Dahmer

Henry Lee Lucas

All that Genealogy stuff is Fake News! ;) 

Your more related to Captain Kirk than anyone else. :D

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Ted Bundy
John Wayne Gacy
Jeffrey Dahmer
Henry Lee Lucas

Sounds astronomically unlikely that there's any family connection between all those individuals at once - the 'killer gene' theory would have been hashed to death by now. Having been immersed in the genre for going on 10 years now, I've not heard of any mass connection. If correct, your sister may have latched onto something.

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Sounds astronomically unlikely that there's any family connection between all those individuals at once - the 'killer gene' theory would have been hashed to death by now. Having been immersed in the genre for going on 10 years now, I've not heard of any mass connection. If correct, your sister may have latched onto something.

She had the same thought about the 'killer gene'.   And the interesting thing is there are close relatives in our Mom's family with schizophrenia and other mental illness issues.   It makes for interesting research. 

11 minutes ago, dfelt said:

All that Genealogy stuff is Fake News! ;) 

Your more related to Captain Kirk than anyone else. :D

I am related to William Shatner, by the way. 

• Haha 1

'They say' if you go back far enough you can connect everyone. Roughly 4 generations per century, a 12th cousin requires going back 300 years (very roughly speaking).  That'd be approx the year 1650 (Dahmer was born in 1960). Not many people in the US in 1650 (only 4 million in 1790).
These have to be connections via marriages, not blood. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

'They say' if you go back far enough you can connect everyone. Roughly 4 generations per century, a 12th cousin requires going back 300 years (very roughly speaking).  That'd be approx the year 1650 (Dahmer was born in 1960). Not many people in the US in 1650 (only 4 million in 1790).
These have to be connections via marriages, not blood. 

Yeah, some of the more distant ones are.   I know I have ancestors in the US going back to colonial days. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 6:40 PM, balthazar said:

Except for one branch, all my & my wife’s family arrived here in the early 1900s.

For my parents and relatives, comparatively speaking, that would be early.

I only did it to know if I had much in the way of input from countries and regions other than the one my parents come from ... and I don't.   I most definitely did not do it to trace relatives.  For the last 4 generations, I know they all came from within a very tight geographic radius and knowing that is good enough for me.

• Agree 1

I know both sides of my family are german, have never visited the huge felt clan in Missiouri which of all places is weird to me considering that both sides came from the mountains of Germany. 

I am happy with my life, my local family and have never really saw why some need to know their last 4, 5 or more generations of family. Interesting to say the least.

On Depeche Mode this morning as I work.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

...have never really saw why some need to know their last 4, 5 or more generations of family. Interesting to say the least.

Think of it as the 'recipe' that made you, you.
I found that my mother would've been born with a different surname, because no one knew her father had a different biological father. When the mother remarried, the kids apparently were adopted & had their surname changed. Her father never told anyone about it (he was 8 when it happened); not his first wife (my grandmother) or his second. He had a German surname, but was born with an Italian one.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, ocnblu said:

It wasn't me it was your boyfriend

Sorry, I do not like boy toys, wrong plumbing for me. :P 

Ya know you love electrics, but I understand, hard to change tune! 😗

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

What was that about relevant topics and escalation?

Yes let's talk about that.  Your musical taste, suddenly, only includes selections with "electric" in the title.  How coincidental is that.  VERY.

Oh... TOOL, what a perfect choice.

Edited by ocnblu

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Yes let's talk about that.  Your musical taste, suddenly, only includes selections with "electric" in the title.  How coincidental is that.  VERY.

Oh... TOOL, what a perfect choice.

Ah deflection, the favorite practice of the defeated. I actually have every song in my collection that I’ve posted here. The title of the thread is “What are you listening to?” not “Be careful what you post or you may affect Blu’s delicate sensibilities.”. Again, if you have a problem with that, just add me to the “ignore” list in your account settings because I’m not changing a thing. It’s that easy. 

And you know exactly what you can do with the insult snowflake. 

Part of my actual YEAR OLD playlist that Mr. Delicate has a problem with. 

@ocnblu

Seek help for that paranoia.

7493FC18-9157-41D1-8946-A884E58A01D9.png

Edited by surreal1272

1 hour ago, daves87rs said:

Heck, I still can’t get past 90s music being “oldies” now..

Never though I’d consider Panera “classic” rock... 😉 

Granted I listen to everything........

Maybe you meant “Pantera”? 

And I agree. Hard to believe that most of the good stuff from the 90s is more than a quarter century old now. 

The life and times of the modern old fart I guess. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Maybe you meant “Pantera”? 

And I agree. Hard to believe that most of the good stuff from the 90s is more than a quarter century old now. 

The life and times of the modern old fart I guess. 

We so need a FART Emoji for a comment like that!

fart GIF

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Heck, I still can’t get past 90s music being “oldies” now..

Never though I’d consider Panera “classic” rock... 😉 

Granted I listen to everything........

Yeah, it's always jarring to hear music I enjoyed in college that was called 'alternative rock' then  (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc) referred to as 'classic rock'... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, it's always jarring to hear music I enjoyed in college that was called 'alternative rock' then  (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc) referred to as 'classic rock'... 

Then here’s some classic rock for ya’. From one of my top ten all time favorite albums. 

Also in my top ten. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

After reading of Eddie Money's passing today, I've been listening to his music...always enjoyed him on the radio in the 80s...neat video for 'Shakin', has some Chevy lowriders...

https://youtu.be/2tcD_dVcXE4

• Thanks 1