What Are You Listening To?

On 11/14/2018 at 5:30 PM, Robert Hall said:

I like that movie a lot also...a good Big 80s flick..saw 'No Way Out' again recently, hadn't seen it in probably 20 years..another good one.

Kevin Costner.

I like him as an actor. Many people get annoyed with his acting, but I like him. I like him mostly when he plays government officials of some kind. Yeah...No Way Out. He is fantastic in that. I havent seen that movie in ages.  Over the weekend I saw A Perfect World. He was a criminal in  that one. I liked him in that too. 

The Untouchables was a fantastic movie and he was a fantastic Elliott Ness.    JFK... awesome

I also love when he plays the part of athletes or sports related movies.  

I liked Waterworld. Hell, I even liked his portrayal of Robin Hood.  

Gene Hackman.  This is a legendary actor of our modern times. After the Golden Age of Hollywood, which ended in the 1960s I think, the next generation would be Gene's generation. Well, in his generation, he is amongst the best of the best.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Now, back to what I was listening to.  

I just love videos of girls enjoying life, being happy and living it up. Especially when a classic automobile is at their disposal. 

A Quebecoise singer. Very sexy girl back in the day. (She is quite a looker still today I might add) Good singer and her songs just...fun! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I’ve been on an Eagles and Fleetwood Mac kick this week.  

I think that ELO and Boston were popular at about the same time, though each of these 4 groups had very distinct sounds.  Music from the 70s had more variety than people give it credit for - Steely Dan sort of preceded these acts, Boz Scaggs was concurrent, and the disco era came after it, yet still all within the 70s.

But then, the 60s had Motown and the Beatles running concurrently, and a lot more. Motown music is indispensable for a road trip ... today.

In terms of pop, I'd say Hall&Oates and Toto were true to form 1980-1985.

Today's music is just plain terrible, for the most part.  As they say, "Kids today ..."

• Agree 1

Listening to jazz artist Grace Kelly...got turned on to her music by this track 'By The Grave' that is the theme music for Michael Connelly's podcast 'Murder Book'....would fit in well with my Crime Jazz compilation CDs. 

• Agree 1

On 12/31/2017 at 5:24 PM, ocnblu said:

From this awesome track...to this:

I loved Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now...but I had no idea who Glace Slick was back in the day. 

One spring day going to school on the city bus in 1985, a girl...that went to my  highschool,  her senior year,  she looked like Rosie Odonnell...no joke...she had the same attitude too. Exactly like how Rosie's character is in a League Of Her Own...anyway, she had her Walkman, and she was rockin' to We Built This City....and I could hear every single musical note it was THAT loud and ever since then, I could NEVER get that song or image outta my head...well today, out of nowhere, her image dancin' and rockin' to that song popped into my head.  

So...I knew you had posted White Rabbit and therefore I decided I NEEDED to share this with you. For whatever reason. 

Grace Slick....she was hot back in 1969.  Kim Cattrall was hot in Mannequin.  Grace Slick had/still has? an awesome singing voice. 

We Built This City On Rock-N-Roll is typical 1980s cheese...I think I like it, but the image of that girl...I just wish she would go away....*SIGH*

Anyway...back to your regularly scheduled programming. I think I bored you long enough...

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

From this awesome track...to this:

I loved Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now...but I had no idea who Glace Slick was back in the day. 

One spring day going to school on the city bus in 1985, a girl...that went to my  highschool,  her senior year,  she looked like Rosie Odonnell...no joke...she had the same attitude too. Exactly like how Rosie's character is in a League Of Her Own...anyway, she had her Walkman, and she was rockin' to We Built This City....and I could hear every single musical note it was THAT loud and ever since then, I could NEVER get that song or image outta my head...well today, out of nowhere, her image dancin' and rockin' to that song popped into my head.  

So...I knew you had posted White Rabbit and therefore I decided I NEEDED to share this with you. For whatever reason. 

Grace Slick....she was hot back in 1969.  Kim Cattrall was hot in Mannequin.  Grace Slick had/still has? an awesome singing voice. 

We Built This City On Rock-N-Roll is typical 1980s cheese...I think I like it, but the image of that girl...I just wish she would go away....*SIGH*

Anyway...back to your regularly scheduled programming. I think I bored you long enough...

You could add “Sara” to that as well...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

You could add “Sara” to that as well...

Yup. I forgot about that one. Good song like the others.

I wanna make a correction with the timeline I gave. 'Twas the Spring of '86, not '85 my little story.  Anyway. Thank-you for actually reading (and appreciating?) my nonsense. LOL. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I needed to get some 1960s bubble gum rock going in my head.  When I found this modern version and decided I needed to share.

And then going down further into the internet wormhole I ended up getting to this song... and video which I also needed to share. 

• Haha 1

I did not recognize the name nor the group. Google. 

It turns out I know (and love) the songs Whiter Shade of Pale and Conquistador.   But it also turns out that those are the only songs I know from them. 

Edited by oldshurst442

I am in a weird funk of listening to original and then comparison versions today of music.

Simon and Garfunkel - Hazy Shade of Winter - Recorded in 1966 for their 1968 Bookends Album.

Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter - Recorded in 1986 for the 1987 Movie release of Less than Zero.

Loved the movie this song became popular again in "Less than Zero" Sexy hot statement of the time!

The hair of the 80's :roflmao:

Heart Time, 1977

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^^ She had a song that I didnt mind 2-3 years ago. Dont remember what that song was. She has a sultry voice I must admit. But...her voice (maybe its the musical style more than her voice) annoys me at the same time...

I dont mean anything by it. I dont wanna insult anybody when Im this negative about song and music. Im just sharing my view.  

Even if I dont like a certain artist or musical style, I like this thread and I click on all songs that are posted. Because I still appreciate the music being posted. I also am very interested in what other people like to listen to. 

But the downside to all that is that ya'll get to hear my opinion on it. Plus, ya'll get to hear what musical interests I listen to. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^ She had a song that I didnt mind 2-3 years ago. Dont remember what that song was. She has a sultry voice I must admit. But...her voice (maybe its the musical style more than her voice) annoys me at the same time...

I dont mean anything by it. I dont wanna insult anybody when Im this negative about song and music. Im just sharing my view.  

Even if I dont like a certain artist or musical style, I like this thread and I click on all songs that are posted. Because I still appreciate the music being posted. I also am very interested in what other people like to listen to. 

But the downside to all that is that ya'll get to hear my opinion on it. Plus, ya'll get to hear what musical interests I listen to. 

For me it's more about the words 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Then Ill google the lyrics JUST to get into your head. I do that sometimes. I like to try to figure out what makes people tick. 

If I was a superhero...the superpower I would like to have is to understand how people think....

Im just weird that way. 

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

Then Ill google the lyrics JUST to get into your head. I do that sometimes. I like to try to figure out what makes people tick. 

If I was a superhero...the superpower I would like to have is to understand how people think....

Im just weird that way. 

Tell me what you find and I'll tell you if you're right.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Tell me what you find and I'll tell you if you're right.

Deep lyrics. I was shocked to see that pop music of today could be that deep...

Anyway....

Mysteriously though, the first few lines made me think immediately of the Pet Shop Boys Its a Sin.   For whatever reason. 

But here it goes: You are questioning your role that you play in your career.  

15 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Deep lyrics. I was shocked to see that pop music of today could be that deep...

Anyway....

Mysteriously though, the first few lines made me think immediately of the Pet Shop Boys Its a Sin.   For whatever reason. 

But here it goes: You are questioning your role that you play in your career. 

Quite close.  I'm questioning my career entirely.  I have a number of big decisions to make, not just about the job. 

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Totally agree with you about the words, but also I do like her unique voice.

For me many songs tend to either click for personal reasons or motivational reasons.

One that I can always get going on especially as I like to listen to it just before going to the gym.

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Quite close.  I'm questioning my career entirely.  I have a number of big decisions to make, not just about the job. 

We all tend to come to that point where we question our relationship, our career, our life style, the things we like and dislike. I can understand that greatly, my son just broke it off with his girlfriend of 7 years as he was very unhappy in the relationship as of late and needed some time to himself and to figure out where he wanted to be career wise, relationship wise, etc.

His girlfriend is not perfect, but Kay was a good compliment to him in a number of ways but also had a number of nagging personal things that also made her not a good fit and I get that he needs to see if she is the right one and where he fits. So dad helped him move back home. 

Crazy having a full house again. My son just quite his directorship position as one company he has been at for 7 years and took on a contract role to grow and expand his experiences. Not sure how that will work out either. Lots of changes, but some times we all need to do that.

Just do not settle for what is good if you truly think there is better to be had.

Good Luck Drew in what ever decisions you make in life, one always has to be happy with themselves before they can make others happy.

You are in your late 30s if Im not mistaken, right?

You are still young enough to change career and have enough time to find what other passions you have to pursue, to learn, to master to earn a great living off of another career path. 

There will come a time where age will be a deterrent for you to question whether you should be trying for another career path, but being in your late 30s, you got plenty of time.

I forget who said this but...

If you love what you do, then you will never work another day in your life.  

The bold parts are my advice to you. Take that how you will, but I truly wish for your happiness. I hope you find it! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

One thing I've sort of settled on is that I need to sell out my rental properties. They're not going to go up much more in value and I want to be out of them before the next recession hits.  But even though they have more than doubled in value, it feels a bit like I'm "quitting" and giving up on the dream of owning a bunch of properties and living off them.

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

You are in your late 30s if Im not mistaken, right?

You are still young enough to change career and have enough time to find what other passions you have to pursue, to learn, to master to earn a great living off of another career path. 

There will come a time where age will be a deterrent for you to question whether you should be trying for another career path, but being in your late 30s, you got plenty of time.

I forget who said this but...

If you love what you do, then you will never work another day in your life.  

The bold parts are my advice to you. Take that how you will, but I truly wish for your happiness. I hope you find it! 

I just turned 40 last year.

I do not love what I do... but the ironic thing is that they allow me so much flexibility and lately have given me so little responsibility, all while raising my salary... that it would be stupid for me to walk away.   I basically can run this website while on company time and no one can tell the difference in my everyday work.  But it is in no way challenging or interesting to me. 

If I did go get another job, something I know I could do fairly easily, it would mean that C&G would likely have to be neglected since William isn't around anymore to post articles.   Choices.

I have a potential job offer for something that would be high stress, but a lot of fun as a job... and I would get to remake a whole company (small business) in my own design.  It would be a lot of work, but it would be damn fun.  But it would also likely mean an abandonment of C&G, or at least a massive scaling back on what I post (no more daily news).

I am staring at the edge of the water ....

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

One thing I've sort of settled on is that I need to sell out my rental properties. They're not going to go up much more in value and I want to be out of them before the next recession hits.  But even though they have more than doubled in value, it feels a bit like I'm "quitting" and giving up on the dream of owning a bunch of properties and living off them.

Oh....no no no!!!

Wrong attitude!

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!!!

ESPECIALLY if they doubled in value!

Remember, upkeep of property is expensive, property taxes...

Remember, renting to people come and go. Remember, if you havent rented some properties, then NO money is coming in. 

Remember, sometimes, tenants dont respect your property and to renovate at the very least...is a headache. Not even going to mention how time consuming and expensive it could become. 

You take that money, put it in the bank, and it will grow. Slowly, but it will grow.  And, you could always re-invest in other properties further down your timeline. 

Or, you could find some other type of investment to place your new found gobs of cash...

Remember also...that CASH WILL ALWAYS REMAIN KING!!! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I just turned 40 last year.

I do not love what I do... but the ironic thing is that they allow me so much flexibility and lately have given me so little responsibility, all while raising my salary... that it would be stupid for me to walk away.   I basically can run this website while on company time and no one can tell the difference in my everyday work.  But it is in no way challenging or interesting to me. 

If I did go get another job, something I know I could do fairly easily, it would mean that C&G would likely have to be neglected since William isn't around anymore to post articles.   Choices.

I have a potential job offer for something that would be high stress, but a lot of fun as a job... and I would get to remake a whole company (small business) in my own design.  It would be a lot of work, but it would be damn fun.  But it would also likely mean an abandonment of C&G, or at least a massive scaling back on what I post (no more daily news).

I am staring at the edge of the water ....

Look at the edge of the water...it will become calm. Then you will see your reflection in it. Take a good look at it because your reflection WILL speak to you. Listen to what it says and follow through. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Oh....no no no!!!

Wrong attitude!

Remember, renting to people come and go. Remember, if you havent rented some properties, then NO money is coming in. 

Remember, sometimes, tenants dont respect your property and to renovate at the very least...is a headache. Not even going to mention how time consuming and expensive it could become. 

You take that money, put it in the bank, and it will grow. Slowly, but it will grow.  And, you could always re-invest in other properties further down your timeline. 

Or, you could find some other type of investment to place your new found gobs of cash...

The rent pays for all of that expensive stuff.... but I get what you're saying.  I'd like to have the cash right now and none of the bother of managing rentals. 

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Oh....no no no!!!

Wrong attitude!

WRONG, Totally disagree with you. There is always taxes and maintenance in everything you do. Property, especially places to live will always be in demand and having a solid revenue stream is important especially on the back half of life when you need cash flow. Right now, Drew is not really needing it, if the management is a bit much for you, then hire and pay a property management company or person. But building your wealth through property investment is better than just having cash sitting around even if it is invested in wall street. 

Balance, you need cash, you need investments and that should always include property. The tax breaks for property, management, repairs, etc. are ways to deal with paying taxes and gives a nice variety of how one manages their income / wealth.

Once your in your 70's if you need cash, then sell the properties, but now I do not see the need even with the price of property growing we have to cash out unless you truly need to pay down debt. Property is one of the long term investments I always recommend for people. 

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

WRONG, Totally disagree with you. There is always taxes and maintenance in everything you do. Property, especially places to live will always be in demand and having a solid revenue stream is important especially on the back half of life when you need cash flow. Right now, Drew is not really needing it, if the management is a bit much for you, then hire and pay a property management company or person. But building your wealth through property investment is better than just having cash sitting around even if it is invested in wall street. 

Balance, you need cash, you need investments and that should always include property. The tax breaks for property, management, repairs, etc. are ways to deal with paying taxes and gives a nice variety of how one manages their income / wealth.

Once your in your 70's if you need cash, then sell the properties, but now I do not see the need even with the price of property growing we have to cash out unless you truly need to pay down debt. Property is one of the long term investments I always recommend for people. 

You're both kinda right.  But right now, I don't want the bother of the properties and I do want the cash.

A third option is to cash out refi them and turn them over to a management company to run.  I run all the day-to-day right now.

• Thanks 2

You're both kinda right.  But right now, I don't want the bother of the properties and I do want the cash.

A third option is to cash out refi them and turn them over to a management company to run.  I run all the day-to-day right now.

I like the 3rd option as that would be best for me if I needed cash. Long term things especially properties tend to still go up. Refi, get the cash you want to deal with things you need to do and then have a management company run them for you.

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I did not recognize the name nor the group. Google. 

It turns out I know (and love) the songs Whiter Shade of Pale and Conquistador.   But it also turns out that those are the only songs I know from them. 

It was a great show.  He didn’t do either of those songs, but focused on songs from his solo career.  Very loud, high energy blues rock.  I had a 5th row seat.  Hard to believe he’s 74, ferocious on a Fender Stratocaster.  

In the car, I heard the song "One Night in Bangkok," one of the worst songs ever created.  There were periodically some stupid songs.  Another one I  recently heard in the car was "Midnight at the Oasis" (not as bad). 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, dfelt said:

Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter - Recorded in 1986 for the 1987 Movie release of Less than Zero.

Loved the movie this song became popular again in "Less than Zero" Sexy hot statement of the time!

Both good.  Simon and Garfunkel's version isn't as lethargic as I recall it being.  However, the Bangles's rendition packs more energy.

It needed that extra energy to go along with an edgy movie about Beverly Hills kids with "too much time on (their) hands" ... yet another song.