What Are You Listening To?

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk about traveling and I decided to listen to Greek music, based on places.

The name of the song is Imerovigli. A village on the northern part of Santorini close to Oia where the famous sunset goers flock to.  

And Jamaica.

A 1950s original song that plays hommage to Jamaica.  Well...not really.  The title of the song is named after the beautiful island in the Caribbean and the lyrics only references it once.  But its a happy, blue collar, fisherman's summer song that says that every morning the singer leaves for work to fish, the trawlers sail to sea like birds scattering in the sky. The trips out to sea are long.  Long enough to reach Jamaica.    And then references to his love and how he has made his little fishing trawler in the image of her so she could be with him on his trips. 

• Agree 1

Speaking of Jamaica

Montego Bay

I prefer this cover from the 80s than the original. Although the original is awesome too.

And this little Canadian song. Sums it up quite good during these Covid times.

Cause I'm thinking of you down in Mexico,
Feeling free as the air,
Here I am stuck in the city,
Still going nowhere.

I may need a nice cold beer after hearing this song. No Corona please.  Ill just start crying...

Working weekend for our internal launch on 6/2 of a new product. So it is oldies but goodies and right now.

Now B-52's time

• Agree 1

Another Work day. K-Pop music today. 

Have to say for the guy's, RAIN is AWESOME, His movies and music is very enjoyable. Not to mention he is about as fit as they come. His wife is amazing also as she is in the industry, but here is one of his latest since he got out of the military from doing his 2yr required service.

• Agree 1

Female K-Pop

Here is a KPOP Female artist that her parents emigrated to the US. She was born and raised in the US, went back to Korea and is the biggest KPOP star considered Korea's equal to Beyonce in the US. Crazy, but a very entertaining woman.

• Agree 1

My You Tube music is going crazy in flipping through various types as I am back at B52's now. The days of crazy big hair on beautiful woman. :wub:

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

OFFdaRAILS.png

That picture reminds me of the oil tanker derailment fire from Canada.

Garth Brooks Friends in low places!

• Agree 1

Its been 30 years man. I still dont know what it is you cant touch.   Could somebody PLEASE tell me what you cant touch. The beat?  He stole that from Rick James so OBVIOUSLY its a beat you CAN touch.  Either way. Its a phoquing cool song to dancer to.  Sometimes though, I prefer to get SUPER FREAKY if you know what I mean!!! 

Ive pumped up the jam many a time in 1990! 

• Agree 2

On 6/9/2020 at 12:31 AM, oldshurst442 said:

RIP Bonnie

Was enjoying the music of the Pointer Sisters last week when I watched Beverly Hills Cop I and II....great, fun music from my youth..

I was listening to the German versions of two albums Peter Gabriel recording in the 80s, incl. th German language version of 'Shock the Monkey'...pretty cool..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Peter Gabriel has such an awesome voice.  I never knew Genesis with him as the singer.   I got to experience that on youtube.  But his solo career I knew quite well back in the day.  He was a staple on Montreal radio.  Liked him then. Like him even more today with youtube.  

Cool version indeed!!!  

• Agree 3

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

Peter Gabriel has such an awesome voice.  I never knew Genesis with him as the singer.   I got to experience that on youtube.  But his solo career I knew quite well back in the day.  He was a staple on Montreal radio.  Liked him then. Like him even more today with youtube.  

Cool version indeed!!!  

Yeah, I knew his solo work quite well from MTV and radio back in the day....great voice.   I've gotten into some of the early Genesis work and seen their guitarist (Steve Hackett) perform it live.   Though I'm more familiar w/ 80s Genesis w/ Phil Collins (love me some Phil too).  I really like the two mid-80s albums Eric Clapton made w/ Phil Collins as producer and on the drum machines...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/22/2020 at 8:02 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Peter Gabriel has such an awesome voice. 

With some of his solo songs, Peter Gabriel fits the bill when you WANT to be depressed.

On 6/9/2020 at 12:31 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Now this here (^) is what you want to listen to when you are on a road trip and want to be put in a good mood.

Epic Pointer Sisters lyrics:

"Someone stole my brand new Chevrolet 

And the rent is due

I've got no place to stay"

- - - - -

I looked around with the title and actually found this one.  People I knew who also studied French would laugh at this, which is a different spin on a "Lady Marmalade" type song.  It's a unique hybrid of disco - vaudeville - New Orleans jazz.

Here is "Cherchez La Femme," which could mean "look for (a) wife" or "look for (the) woman."  Compared to the bigger disco classics, this one is an underdog.  Not only that, these songs took a lot of coordination to merge vocals and instrumentals and, more so than any other genre of music, its performers appeared to have the most fun while performing them.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Confused 1

I graduated HS 30 years ago. June 1990.  I just felt like reminiscing with this song before the month was up.  

And somehow, I feel as this song was part of my summer memories that was in 1990...   

Edited by oldshurst442

• 3 weeks later...

It's in my music and I was listening to it as I drove home tonight.

While she kept on making great music, the peak of Tina Turner's solo career came early, IMO, in this song ... amazing to drive to on the open road in the middle of nowhere on a gloomy, overcast, still day:

Longer version with great instrumental solos interspersed and, of course, her incredible voice at its best, during the 1980s.  This lady is an electrifying musical artist.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

After randomly hearing this over the airwaves now and then, I added it to the collection on my phone.  Arguably the Monkees' best hit since it has stood the test of time!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Music from the '70s is weird.  Unmistakable Steely Dan can be labeled - fusion of rock and jazz.  But artists like Van Morrison have musical approaches that are harder to label (anyone care to try), but his music is unique enough and definitely cool.  IMO, I think this is his best (followed by "Brown Eyed Girl"):

• Agree 1

This song comes on the restaurant's radio.  First time I hear it. 

My cashier, 20 years old, starts singing it. Belting it word for word while doing a funky dance.  (Store was empty) I catch on, but I start saying: They call my name. They call my name. They call my name.  She tells me quite sterningly (is that even a word?) that those are not the words...

The phoque I care...all I could hear with the beat is this song...

Never felt so old though...

HA on her though!  20 years old and she cant go clubbing...  COVID!

I was on top of the world  @20! 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1