What Are You Listening To?

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

If I wasnt Greek, and I didnt love being Greek so much, then my second choice of what Id wanna be, then Id wanna be Eye-Talian. 

Una facia, una razza! 

Haha.  There's a lot of truth to that.  Greeks have left an indelible (still standing!) mark on Sicily and the southern provinces of Italy, at places like Paestum.

I haven't been to Greece as many times as I should have!  I've been to Athens and 3 islands.

I'd like to go to Athens and then to Corfu (Kerkyra) and get back to Italy from there ... on an overnight ferry ... that way, the passage is just a little bit more in $ than a hotel room and that includes a cabin.  It would nice to get up early and see the ferry approach the Italian coast at Bari or Brindisi ... both on the heel of the peninsula.

There's no place like the Med!

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

Weird, but older singers tend to have more songs I like than newer singers. Fiona Apple, Some of her songs I really like, most I can just pass on. This is not bad, but a Pass for future listening.

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Haha.  There's a lot of truth to that.  Greeks have left an indelible (still standing!) mark on Sicily and the southern provinces of Italy, at places like Paestum.

I haven't been to Greece as many times as I should have!  I've been to Athens and 3 islands.

I'd like to go to Athens and then to Corfu (Kerkyra) and get back to Italy from there ... on an overnight ferry ... that way, the passage is just a little bit more in $ than a hotel room and that includes a cabin.  It would nice to get up early and see the ferry approach the Italian coast at Bari or Brindisi ... both on the heel of the peninsula.

There's no place like the Med!

Many Italians live in Corfu.  Not far away from Brindisi, hence a ferry route between Brindisi and Corfu.

My mom came from the island just below, the biggest in the Ionian. Kephalonia. I had a friend that came from Corfu, (his parents) and he often visited Italy when he went to Greece. 

Ive only been to Greece. Many times.  But Im dying to visit Italy. My daughter has a Eurotrip in a couple of years, and guess what? 

Her trip for her graduating year is...Switzerland and...ITALY!!!  She is sooooo happy. And I for her!!!

If you havent seen the movie Captain Correlli's Mandolin, I suggest you see it.   My mom's parents knew of the family (see it and you'll understand)  and I have a friend or two that were  extras in the movie.  

Thanks to the Romans, the Greek world survived. Rome conquered Greece, but because Rome wanted to model their empire along Greek culture, art, architecture, politics, language in trade routes, etc,  the cradle of Western civilization has been credited to the Greeks, but 'twas the Romans that spread and KEPT Hellenism around more than the Greeks themselves could have ever imagined.   So who conquered who???  LOL

I guess both cultures realize this and both of our cultures greatly respect one another.   This is what I adore.  1000s of years later and Italy tries to conquer Greece again, this time they lose, but because Germany had other plans, Greece fell to the Axis. When when the Italians became enemies of Germany, Greece and the Greeks protected the Italian soldiers from the Germans  towards the end of the war.  Una Faccia, una razza...1000s of years in the making...

Sicily...if Im not mistaken, Poseidon's son Polyphemus, from the island of the Cyclops, from Homer's Odyssey, is said to be, Sicily. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@oldshurst442

A lot of good info there!

As for video 1, someone needs to inform the person or party who uploaded it that they've misspelled the title.

It should be "C'e' La Luna Mezzo Mare" - apostrophe and accent over the e; no h.

They way it's spelled, with Che, means the person was thinking it would be pronounced like it is in Spanish.  It's not.  Instead, "che" would be pronounced as "keh" in Italian.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Robert Hall We need the Rain / Snow, Washington is moving into Drought conditions while the rest of the country has plenty of rain/snow. Please share. :P

Washington just had the driest November on record since they started keeping records.

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@Robert Hall We need the Rain / Snow, Washington is moving into Drought conditions while the rest of the country has plenty of rain/snow. Please share. :P

Washington just had the driest November on record since they started keeping records.

Unusual...

Fun fact:  one list of cloudiest cities in the US has Seattle at #1, Portland, Or at #2 and Cleveland at #5...woo hoo, made the top 5!   

• Agree 1

Got a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD in a white elephant gift exchange.  I remember the name of 1 or 2 name hit songs they recorded and made it onto American Top 40 lists. 

In listening to this CD, there are some good cuts and this is one of them.

It has some remote vestiges of Christmas but new age and action movie soundtrack typologies also shine through.

Edited by trinacriabob

The preeminent musical artist of the genre, and that decade, and "MacArthur Park," probably her best song.  She eclipsed Richard Harris's original rendition in a big way.

Criticize disco/dance music all you want but it had it all - vocals, big band, complex instrumentals, and "driveability."  Today's pop music is mostly crap.

She belts out the lyrics and holds the notes effortlessly, the band is going strong, and the audience is pumped.

African-American artists and groups seemed to dominate this genre in the '70s but the baton got passed in the '80s to a modified kind of pop/dance, the likes of the "4 Bs": Blondie, Branigan, Benatar, and the Bengals, among others.

MacArthur Park is a real place and is in what was probably a decent neighborhood in L.A. some decades back.  Not so now.  Wilshire Blvd. cuts through it as it runs from DTLA to the ocean in Santa Monica.  My parents would take us there when we were little to see the ducks, pedal boats, and all that.  And it was safe to do that.

MacArthur_Park,_Los_Angeles,_CA,_USA_-_p

For a city of 4 million people, the downtown skyline isn't as impressive as you'd expect.  Cylindrical 73 story US Bank tower is the tallest in the photo.  Wilshire is seen to the left, complete with parking meters once you're a ways west of downtown.

RIP, Donna Summer.  You left us too soon.

Edited by trinacriabob

• 2 weeks later...

My inner 1980s teenage girl has been taunting me these past 3-4 days.  Ive had this song in my head that long. Yes.  Yes, its true. 

We might as well compliment it with this song....I saw a commercial for the movie on some channel yesterday.  I say why fight it. Ill give in. 

Truth be told. I kinda like these songs.  I love the sax in Hungry Eyes and I love the acapella in Make Me Lose Control. Reminds me of 1960s surf music.  I guess that is what the whole purpose of the video is also. California Dreamin' with the hot bods and the hot rods and the sun and the beach.  

1980s pop.   Nothing like it!!! 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wolves...that was a theme yesterday so...today I got wolves on my mind today.

My first Ozzy song Ive ever heard. I was but a young boy. My best friend's older brother was a huge Ozzy fan. I remember how excited he was when he got this album back in the day. 

I was just as excited when I was gifted Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry at about the same time frame. 

And of course Duran squared

Ive had fond memories with this song. Ive attended many house and aprés ski parties in the 1990s and  for whatever reason, this song was a staple in ALL of them.   Great party song! 

And when I typed Bark at the Moon on youtube, this song came up as a suggestion.

Nothing to do with wolves, but it is the only song I like from Iron Maiden.  But then again, I never gave Iron Maiden a chance in the 1980s. Maybe its time for me to discover them???!!!  Great guitar work. Great drums. Great vocals. I wonder what was wrong with me then for not liking Iron Maiden?

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Was "across the pond" on one of those "is that a mistake?" priced tickets because it's low season.  However, the weather in the navel of the Mediterranean was in the 60s (F).  This music to accompany one of the more famous Fellini movies was probably released in the '60s as well.

"La Dolce Vita"

Pasta, palm trees, gelato, melodramatic people ...

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All this talk about Spring

And its a welcomed song choice because everywhere I go in Montreal...Bon Jovi is playing. The band is coming back for another concert. Went skating outside, heard Bon Jovi. We went to a rink, they played Bon Jovi. Turn on the radio, Enlgis stations, French stations...Bon Jovi...

I mean...I like the band...but shyte, man! 

Some macho Bon Jovi, please.  Not this sappy girley girly lovey lovey shyte he does. Its good. But its too...girley. 

A couple of songs that the radio does not play...at least not anymore.

Wanted Dead or Alive is too Bon Jovi rock cliché

So Ill go with something that is long forgotten!!!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 3:23 AM, ocnblu said:

I am a 007 fan and yet this new title song for the delayed movie is just MEH to me. Bummer, I really hope the movie is good.

New trumps old, in this case ("Hazy Shade of Winter"), as was the case with "MacArthur Park" (Donna Summer) and "Misty" (Ray Stevens - country rendition)

Here's a good movie that had a good song to go along with it:

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

Some say grunge killed rock-n-roll.

I say formulaic hair metal/glam rock did ITSELF in.

Although I like these songs imma gonna post....I aint foolin' myself. I KNOW these songs and so called rock bands were the  culprits for the end. And there are plenty more...its just these are what I was listening to on youtube just now...for whatever reason.  

Hey!  These are still better than the formulaic pop shyte  that's been...popular the last coupla decades.  The...Im gonna crash my car unto a bridge and I dont care and the  haterz are gonna hate hate hate shake it off are catchy...but really really really really shytty.  These formulaic glam rock songs are just...shytty.    4 shyttys versus the 1 shytty on the shytty pop scale of shyt pop songs.  The musicians are really musicians playing  their own real instruments and the singer is actually singing is my criteria as to why formulaic pop glam rock is better than pop songs of today. 

My final random thought  of the night before calling it quits...

Should this post have gone in the random thoughts thread?

Good Night! 

I woke up this morning and had Cinderella on my mind. Probably because I went to bed with hard rock/glam rock/hair metal blasting in my ears.  (before the genre went copy cat on us) 

Then a commercial for this band and song came on.  

I think its very Led Zeppelin.  I think its very very good.  From Canada.  

CANUCK ROCK RULES!!!

Another very Led Zeppelin sounding artist. From the 70s this time.

On the wake of this crazy coronavirus thing...

Image result for keep on rockin

Sitting here contemplating what business hours we need to stay open...to be safe and responsible...(already Quebec made it law that restaurants could stay open but need to limit their capacity ton 50%).  Or if maybe I stay open but drive thu only....

Anyway...

Some songs that inspired me that also reminded me of Covid-19 .  I kinda like the cute way Im thinking about it...lyrics and the up beat music...

Your heart sweats, your body shakes
Another kiss is what it takes
You can't sleep, you can't eat
There's no doubt, you're in deep
Your throat is tight, you can't breathe
Another kiss is all you need
Whoa, you like to think that you're immune to the stuff, oh yeah

Oh
I want a new drug, one that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my car
Or make me feel three feet thick
I want a new drug, one that won't hurt my head