What Are You Listening To?

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, balthazar said:

Still this stuff, which "isn't even music". Love it.

I'm 'way out there', aren't I? ;)

That is some scary shyte! Very malevolent sounds...

Im carrying a crucifix and garlic just in case while listening to this.

Wont hurt if I play some 1980s Jesus music. OK...a remake of)

And if that dont help...maybe summoning the Ghostbusters will ease my fear of this so called "song"

Edited by oldshurst442

I almost can't listen to mainstream mass-market stuff anymore, unless it's metal. Either I'm totally exhausted by it or it gets stuck in my head and I need to 'burn' it out. Most of my browser music bookmarks are ambient genre. Also helps when I'm writing/researching.

No offense, O442, but I durn't dare click on most of your video links. :blink:

Edited by balthazar

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I almost can't listen to mainstream mass-market stuff anymore, unless it's metal. Either I'm totally exhausted by it or it gets stuck in my head and I need to 'burn' it out. Most of my browser music bookmarks are ambient genre. Also helps when I'm writing/researching.

No offense, O442, but I durn't dare click on most of your video links. :blink:

No offense taken.

OK metal. I could do metal. 1980s metal.

With evilish sounding undertones...

I have to say I am probably on extreme ends of the music spectrum. I grew up playing trumpet and piano so I love Jazz, but also just about everything else out there. Lately, I have been bouncing back n forth between Japanese Jazz, Depeche Mode and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Toshiki Kadomatsu

Keiko Matsui

Depeche Mode

Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been in an early 80s mood lately...had Roxy Music's 'Flesh and Blood' and 'Avalon' albums playing alot at home and in the Jeep.

And also some listening to some Phil Collins--my favorite track of his--1980's 'In the Air Tonight'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came across this tune a couple of nights ago. It is stuck in my head for 2 days going on 3.

I knew it was straight from the 80s. Dont remember it. Quite possibly I never knew it...

One thing is for sure, I dont know the band. 

I just think its the coolest song that Ive heard in a while...

I googled and youtubed to listen to other songs they had. Apparently this next one was a huge hit. Their biggest. I dont remember this song either. Alls I know is I like the video. Yup...I would have been rockin' to this song (and video) as a teenager in the mid 80s for sure...

Glam rock. Hair metal bands. Rocker chicks of the 80s...I miss those times (Well...its more like the songs I miss...) 

and yes Balthy...I do miss those 1980s alternative/euro-italo disco funky 80s tunes too...I miss those just as much.

• Agree 1

Every once in a while, I check this out for a good laugh:

Hot Rot Lincoln by Commander Cody

So much SoCal footage.  The "Grapevine Hill" was very much a part of my growing up and traveling around SoCal.  There are apparently some old school movie stars in it, though the only one I could identify is Robert Mitchum.  At about 2:29, I wondered if that footage was from Havana, Cuba for those few seconds.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:30 AM, oldshurst442 said:

...yes Balthy...I do miss those 1980s alternative/euro-italo disco funky 80s tunes too...I miss those just as much.

More power to ya! Some of that 'synth stuff' certainly was catchy, and it's very light so it can be fun. Or so I assume. ;)

For the first time in decades, I've made a distinct musical preference change. 'Destructured' is how I think of it.
Something soothing about the throb of industrial machinery over distant screaming  ~
https://mydeepdark.bandcamp.com/track/deepdark-emily-rose
Or perhaps I'm simply in the early stages of a mental delamination. :shrugs:

• Agree 2

I went to a couple of concerts during the middle of the week a couple weeks ago--2 guys I've liked since the 80s--Steve Winwood and Howard Jones.   Winwood played a lot of his '60s Traffic and 80s songs in a jazzy style--his backing band was solid.  Howard Jones was solo with an electric piano, not all his synthesizers.   His current tour was 'stories and songs'--him talking about the stories behind his songs, was fun in a small venue in the Cleveland Flats.  I've had both of their 80s work stuck in my head the last couple weeks, been listening to them both a lot at home and in the Jeep.. 

I am not exactly a fan of country music.  Some of it is sappy, twangy, and either Deep South or flyover zone.  And some of it could be my own self imposed limitations toward it.  Either way, there are a few gems in this genre and then some.

If you've been to Galveston, TX, you might agree it has a good vibe.  I've always had a good time at Galveston when I've been to Houston.

Galveston

This song, "Misty," was composed by Erroll Garner (don't know who he is) as an instrumental romantic jazz standard, also performed by Johnny Mathis, and then given its last facelift by Ray Stevens ... yes ... the same guy who sang that crazy song "The Streak!"  His rendition has proved to be by far the most popular, and for good reason.  I learned Ray Stevens hails for a northwestern suburb of Atlanta.

Misty

Good stuff, if I may say so.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:21 AM, balthazar said:

More power to ya! Some of that 'synth stuff' certainly was catchy, and it's very light so it can be fun. Or so I assume.

Thanx!

Or so you assume? You being coy?  Im willing to bet you used to go wild in da clubs with the untz untz untz beats back in da day! 

For the first time in decades, I've made a distinct musical preference change. 'Destructured' is how I think of it.
Something soothing about the throb of industrial machinery over distant screaming  ~

I worked on my musical repertoire early on and as the years went by, I just grew my preference....up until the 2000s. That is when I just decided stop there.

Classical music as in Chopin and Bach and stuff.

1950s rock. Rock-a-billy and blues and a tad of jazz.

1960s pop and soul and surf and psychedelic and mostly everything that came out in the 60s I like.

1970s rock. Disco. Some punk. a lot of funky 70s music I like.

1980s synth and rock and pop and punk and alternative and all kinds of weird shyte from the 1980s I like. Rap and hip hop old skool 80s I dig very much!

1990s eurodance and rock. Some grunge....SOME grunge. Not all grunge. I guess the 1990s pop was OK for me to listen too back then.  Early 1990s hip hop and rap I liked then. Not the stuff that came out from the mid 1990s to today. 

And that is it. I decided to stop there. I look for new music today, but its mostly the sounds that resemble what I mentioned above that I look for in today's music. But define

Or perhaps I'm simply in the early stages of a mental delamination. :shrugs:

:confused0071:

Nah!  I dont think so. I appreciate your insights!  You and Frisky are the reasons why I might continue to still post here from time to time.

Edited by oldshurst442

Only club music I heard willingly was in strip clubs. :D But I wasn't really paying attention to the sounds there.

I had a long period where I was into 50s rock, but they've made very very little of it since the Beatles broke. Oh, there's been a bunch of underground rockabilly stuff since, but it doesn't have staying power with me anymore.

Then again, this would sound pretty cool oozing from a rolling B-59 coupe.

5 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Thanx!

Or so you assume? You being coy?  Im willing to bet you used to go wild in da clubs with the untz untz untz beats back in da day! 

I worked on my musical repertoire early on and as the years went by, I just grew my preference....up until the 2000s. That is when I just decided stop there.

Classical music as in Chopin and Bach and stuff.

1950s rock. Rock-a-billy and blues and a tad of jazz.

1960s pop and soul and surf and psychedelic and mostly everything that came out in the 60s I like.

1970s rock. Disco. Some punk. a lot of funky 70s music I like.

1980s synth and rock and pop and punk and alternative and all kinds of weird shyte from the 1980s I like. Rap and hip hop old skool 80s I dig very much!

1990s eurodance and rock. Some grunge....SOME grunge. Not all grunge. I guess the 1990s pop was OK for me to listen too back then.  Early 1990s hip hop and rap I liked then. Not the stuff that came out from the mid 1990s to today. 

And that is it. I decided to stop there. I look for new music today, but its mostly the sounds that resemble what I mentioned above that I look for in today's music. But define

:confused0071:

Nah!  I dont think so. I appreciate your insights!  You and Frisky are the reasons why I might continue to still post here from time to time.

Kinda like pretty much everything there...as I listen to it all!8)

Granted you have to look beyond the top 40 of today, but there is still some good stuff out there....finding some stuff on youtube.....

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Epic.  I was listening to this thinking it was a new take on Barry White and an African-American musical artist.  It's not.  It's a Sicilian musical artist named Mario Biondi.  This gives hope that competent musical talent may return because we've been missing it for about a decade now.

The lady synching the song in the beginning, apparently a joke of sorts, may be Lisa Stansfiled.  Not sure.

Also, perfect to hear the first time in a Fiat 500!

• Agree 1

On 7/31/2018 at 11:02 PM, daves87rs said:

Feeling..summery

Apparently filmed in or near Havana, Cuba.  Makes me want to go.  I've been fascinated by Cuba for as long as I can remember.

• 1 month later...

Randy Newman fell short with his stupid song "Short People" but this one is epic, IMO.  It's hilarious that he rolls in some of the more banal streets in this humongous city ... Victory Boulevard, Imperial Highway?  WTF?  Also, the L.A. of the New Millennium is a lot less happier place than the L.A. of circa 1984.

Can't believe I was born and spent 21 of my first 25 years here.  Thought I'd always go back there to live someday.  That never happened.  I got cold feet every time.  And it doesn't look like it ever will happen.  For one, every one of my childhood friends has moved out of the city and even out of state.  So I listen to this song to channel the L.A. that I knew and once loved.

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...

After 10+ hrs of hard cubeless cubicle work (incl. a 4 hr WebEx w/ IBM support) I'm chilling w/ the furs having pizza and beer...listening to some cool Chillwave retro synth.

https://youtu.be/5C_gUic3cCo

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Getting my weird Al on while I get some work done!

Weird how this reminds me of @ocnblu :duck:

Reminds me of Ohio Amish Country (grew up near there..)..  First time I ever heard this song I cracked up..so funny.