Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What Are You Listening To?

Heard this last night driving home - good '80s music and Eddie Money's best song:

For David's mentioning of jazz artist Keiko Matsui, jazz guitarist Joyce Cooling has a song called "South of Market" released at about the time SOMA was becoming a much improved area of San Francisco.  Perfect music for crossing all the spans of the Bay Bridge with the traffic moving nicely on a foggy weekend morning ... and that's exactly where I first heard it on a Bay Area jazz station.

Edited by trinacriabob

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE Springsteen's work...its your political stab at him I dont appreciate...

Like how YOU do when I say I dont trust Trump's administration...is what the reaction was

PS: the song is NOT about MAGA...

And HE has a right to his political views without YOU dissing him in an automotive forum. In a MAGA Amerca, HE has THAT right to his political views and SING about them...

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last I heard this version of this song was when this song was a hit. Whenever that was. If memory serves me well, 1984. I just knew of this group as the Honeydrippers.  This song was everywhere. It played non stop. It was a cool song. Great song! Great vocals! 

The Stray Cats were popular then too.  

I knew that Sea of Love was a cover back then, and I knew that Rock This Town was a tribute to 1950s Rock, and this tune made me think of Bill Haley...thanks in part to Happy Days. 

And then, well, both tunes faded into memory as the 1980s marched on with more awesome music.

So...Im in my car today, and the Honeydrippers Sea of Love is playing on the radio. So I listen to it with nostalgia.

But then, that voice. Oh sure...I remembered that voice from 1984: "Do you remember, when we met...I want to tell you, how much I love you...come with me, to the sea..."   I remembered  just how awesome those vocals are. 

But THIS time, Im also  identifying that voice with other stuff...I cant put my finger on it....I am positive that I know that voice. It escapes me and then the song is over.   

Honeydrippers rushes to the front of my memory banks. 

So I google.  

ROBERT PLANT???!!!

"Waaaaaay down inside...Woooman!  Yoouuuu need!   Loooooove!"

Image result for mars attacks head explode gif

MIND PHOQUING BLOWN!!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

So...Im in my car today, and the Honeydrippers Sea of Love is playing on the radio. So I listen to it with nostalgia.

But then, that voice. Oh sure...I remembered that voice from 1984: "Do you remember, when we met...I want to tell you, how much I love you...come with me, to the sea..."   I remembered  just how awesome those vocals are. 

But THIS time, Im also  identifying that voice with other stuff...I cant put my finger on it....I am positive that I know that voice. It escapes me and then the song is over.   

Honeydrippers rushes to the front of my memory banks. 

So I google.  

ROBERT PLANT???!!!

"Waaaaaay down inside...Woooman!  Yoouuuu need!   Loooooove!"

Image result for mars attacks head explode gif

MIND PHOQUING BLOWN!!!!

Yeah, great voice...he was also in another band you may have heard of, 'Led Zeppelin'.    A solo song of his I really like is 'Ship of Fools' from '88.      The song 'Sea of Love' was also used in the film 'Sea of Love' IIRC...a murder mystery w/ Al Pacino and Ellen Barkin.     I saw Robert Plant on a solo tour about 10 years ago, he's great live. 

And the Stray Cats guy later formed a band called 'The Brian Setzer Orchestra'. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, great voice...he was also in another band you may have heard of, 'Led Zeppelin'.    A solo song of his I really like is 'Ship of Fools' from '88.      The song 'Sea of Love' was also used in the film 'Sea of Love' IIRC...a murder mystery w/ Al Pacino and Ellen Barkin.     I saw Robert Plant on a solo tour about 10 years ago, he's great live. 

And the Stray Cats guy later formed a band called 'The Brian Setzer Orchestra'. 

I learned about Led Zeppelin relatively late in my life. As compared to other music artists that I learned about and listened to before my time. 

I was in my mid 20s when I discovered them. As you could see, the Honeydrippers had come and gone a loooong time before I could make that connection. 

And I never saw the movie. Probably the only movie with Al Pacino in it that I did not see.(False Claim...Ive seen many of his films, but he made a lot of films) I remember the commercials for it on TV, but I never got the chance to rent it on VHS.  Strangely enough, I dont ever recall  seeing it at any video rental shelf that I was a member at. I would have rented it otherwise. 

I heard that Led Zeppelin gave awesome concerts back in the day. Yeah...he would as a solo artist too. 

I dont know Ship of Fools. 1st time I hear it.  And I like it!!!   His vocals are awesome. Love the guitar work in the song.  Strong drums too. Good song! 

Im more familiar with the Stray Cats and The Brian Setzer Orchestra though. That would be during my time.  Not popular with my  circle of friends, but I was a fan. 

Edited by oldshurst442

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I'm more familiar with the Stray Cats and The Brian Setzer Orchestra though. That would be during my time.  Not popular with my  circle of friends, but I was a fan. 

LOL, I also was exposed to Led Zepplin later in life, grew up on Big Band music, played trumpet and piano in the past, now just listen to others more talented than I was. Stray Cats and Depeche Mode were my jam! :metal:

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 10:36 AM, balthazar said:

I was expecting ‘Cherry Pie’ by Warrant.

I just this response.

Nah. Cherry Pie is...everything wrong with today's music. Composed by a formula.  

At least Cherry Bomb would be one of those songs that the producers use(d) as a basis for a...formula.

PS:  I often fall victim to these formula produced songs though...I aint sayin I like falling prey to these songs, but I will admit that...hey...some of it does work on me.

Edited by oldshurst442

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Nah. Cherry Pie is...everything wrong with today's music. Composed by a formula.  

But; released in 1990.
I was joking. Its really only very recently I've been very rarely listening to some stuff from the '80s - the forumalic approach is what has more often pushed me to free-form ambient stuff. Unfortunately, youtube sees it fit to insert multiple ads in a continuous flow music video. 

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

But; released in 1990.
I was joking. Its really only very recently I've been very rarely listening to some stuff from the '80s - the forumalic approach is what has more often pushed me to free-form ambient stuff. Unfortunately, youtube sees it fit to insert multiple ads in a continuous flow music video. 

This "formulaic style" started in the 1980s if Im not mistaken.  Actually, it started in the 1950s, but it was less rampant...again, if Im not mistaken.

I enjoyed your joke though.  Because I would normally post a cheesy 1980s hair metal band song or disco tune in a discussion like that!!!  

Went to a fun show this evening at the House of Blues in Cleveland... 3 bands-- BT's synthpop/electronic outfit 'All Hail the Silence',  'Men Without Hats' (best known for the 80s song 'Safety Dance'--didn't realize they were from Montreal), and the headliner--Howard Jones. Saw HoJo last year, but that was a different venue and was just him and piano, this was a full band w/ lots of synthesizers and his keytar.   Great evening. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Went to a fun show this evening at the House of Blues in Cleveland... 3 bands-- BT's synthpop/electronic outfit 'All Hail the Silence',  'Men Without Hats' (best known for the 80s song 'Safety Dance'--didn't realize they were from Montreal), and the headliner--Howard Jones. Saw HoJo last year, but that was a different venue and was just him and piano, this was a full band w/ lots of synthesizers and his keytar.   Great evening. 

I was always painfully aware.

I dont know how popular this group was or how popular Safety Dance was outside of Montreal and Canada (apparently the song was like super popular)  but that song never stopped playing on Montreal pop radio in the 1980s.

Hey...I was a young boy when the song came out. I liked it. I loved it even. But by the time I became a teenager...you. know..enough is enough!!!

They had another cute hit. Pop Goes the World. This song didnt get the same amount of airplay as Safety Dance, but it played enough times for me to HATE HATE HATE it nowadays.   I liked it then though...when I was a young boy.  

Outside of those 2 songs...not much else that I know of.

They made a song called Sideways. I liked it. But I dont think it faired to well...

Edited by oldshurst442

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont know how popular this group was or how popular Safety Dance was outside of Montreal and Canada (apparently the song was like super popular)  but that song never stopped playing on Montreal pop radio in the 1980s.

Hey...I was a young boy when the song came out. I liked it. I loved it even. But by the time I became a teenager...you. know..enough is enough!!!

They had another cute hit. Pop Goes the World. This song didnt get the same amount of airplay as Safety Dance, but it played enough times for me to HATE HATE HATE it nowadays.   I liked it then though...when I was a young boy.  

They made a song called Sideways. I liked it. But I dont think it faired to well...

They played those 3 songs and few more that I didn't recognize. I think only one member there now is from the original band.   Safety Dance was all over the radio and MTV in 1983, hit #2 on the US charts, was on the charts 24 weeks..couldn't escape it when I was 13.  Was fun to hear live.   Fun stuff...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I had no idea they were Canadian, that explains why it seemed their videos were on Much Music so much.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, frogger said:

I had no idea they were Canadian, that explains why it seemed their videos were on Much Music so much.  

yeah...

By the mid-80s, everytime Pop Goes The World or Safety Dance would come on or finish, the DJ would ALMOST ALWAYS say "Montreal's own..." 

18 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Safety Dance was all over the radio and MTV in 1983, hit #2 on the US charts, was on the charts 24 weeks..couldn't escape it when I was 13.  Was fun to hear live.   Fun stuff...

Yes! It was fun!

MTV...up here in Montreal...we did not get MTV  :(   until much much later.    

We got...

17 minutes ago, frogger said:

Much Music.   Which was not like MTV.

On the plus side, we also got the French version:  Musique Plus. Which made up for not having MTV...

• 2 weeks later...

@oldshurst442 I hope you're not a fan of Montrealer Gino Vannelli.  Haha ... as '80s as they came!  Actually, he's a McGill grad, as is William Shatner.  That's impressive.

I found it!  Summer of '96 and putting around in a rented Peugeot econobox in Portugal's Algarve ... (I believe it's Alex Natale and not Bob Marley) 

• Like 1

Same with Corey Hart.  Although with Corey Hart, I was more of a fan.

He married  a French Quebec singer, he himself being half French and half English. Julie Masse. 

There were a couple of songs I liked from her too back in the day. Including the one I posted down below. 

Pagliaro...from the 1970s had a few hits as well.  Like Gino Vanelli, I still love these  songs from him.  I was too young to be a true fan,  but these two songs define  MY Montreal for me.  Ive had some great summer nights listening to these songs with some awesome French people that I befriended along the way as one would when one loves his city and its people.  Drinking beer on a stereotypical Montreal home balcony or pub terrasse...

And April Wine...

Although originally from Nova Scotia from our beloved Maritimes, they did make Montreal their home.

These guys....again, were a tad before my time, but these guys, I was and continue to be a fan of. 

CANUCK ROCK RULES!!!!

21 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

He married  a French Quebec singer, he himself being half French and half English. Julie Masse. 

I always look for this type of information when I read biographies about interesting or important people.  In the U.S., only people in the most ethnic and diverse metro areas or who are well traveled tend to tune into this.  I'm sure it's much more prevalent in Canada, especially in Toronto and Montreal.  There, it's almost reflexive to do it.  I think it's good.  In most of America, it's considered weird ... and maybe even in Canada's prairie provinces.  Anyone who thinks it's weird is probably a hick in my book.  Then, why are people interested in Ancestry-dot-com and 23 and Me all of a sudden?  It's because people want to know "what they're made of."

27 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Then, why are people interested in Ancestry-dot-com and 23 and Me all of a sudden?  It's because people want to know "what they're made of."

It is interesting to look into that.. my sister goes on genealogy kicks occasionally and has traced our family lineage back a long way...mostly English, but some French (Alsace) and Swiss,  Scottish and Ulster Scots.    A related activity is finding what famous or infamous people one is related to.   I'm distantly related to multiple past and modern era presidents, entertainers, and strangest of all--some of the most notorious serial killers (all through my Mom's family). 

• Agree 1