What Are You Listening To?

The only NiN song I liked (past tense) is...and only because it was super popular with the Montreal strippers when they did their...um...dance is...Closer. 

But Im over the song. Like 20 years ago. I wont listen to it anymore. I do have some fun memories with the song playing in the background, though.

Apparently...this was also a stripper favorite. Was too young for the strip clubs for this song, but I did have some fun times at the rollerblade rink with a couple of dates back in the day. The song was a staple for that scene too...

Def Leppard would be my favorite 1980s rock band and Hysteria would be THE album...

"Step inside, walk this way. You and me babe...hey hey!!!"  will ALWAYS be the intro version for me!!!

ZZ TOP, Van Halen and AC/DC follow closely!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

❤️ The Downward Spiral.

That album was a major part of my soundtrack in the mid 90s when I lived in Michigan and was in grad school.. listening to it always brings me back to the good times and infinite despair of those years. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

The one genre of music that Im not a big fan of, but I do have some favorites spanning from the '50s-'90s is country.

But I was deeply saddened  just now. I just found out that Kenny Rogers died.  RIP.

And then there is Ghetto Superstar, that is what you are...or something like that.   I never liked the Dolly Parton duo song, nor this sampled version, but it this version is something that I have fond memories with...

• Agree 1

It hasnt subsided. 

All morning long I was listening to Frida's I know there is something going on, over and over and over again.  I couldnt get enough of her "I know there is something going on" vocals and Phil's drums and electronic voice accompaniment. 

Now Im doing Against All Odds and Invisible Touch.   

It looks like you dont appreciate his musical genious...which is fine, so Ill spare you the links as I wont post them. LOL 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

It hasnt subsided. 

All morning long I was listening to Frida's I know there is something going on, over and over and over again.  I couldnt get enough of her "I know there is something going on" vocals and Phil's drums and electronic voice accompaniment. 

It looks like you dont appreciate his musical genious...which is fine, so Ill spare you the links as I wont post them. LOL 

I enjoy Phil, both solo and with Genesis...esp. his 80s work... 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

It hasnt subsided. 

To to officially send you this then:

• Agree 2

I like to strike a line between talent and appeal.
I'm sure famous opera singers & ballet dancers are highly talented within their field, just keep that crap away from me. ;)
No doubt Collins had strong talent & produced 'good stuff', but it's certainly not in my record cabinet.
Olds- feel free to post away on the links; I merely reserve the right not to click on them. :P

EDIT :: all right- I listened to a third of #2 and
half of #4. There. :)

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

I like to strike a line between talent and appeal.
I'm sure famous opera singers & ballet dancers are highly talented within their field, just keep that crap away from me. ;)
No doubt Collins had strong talent & produced 'good stuff', but it's certainly not in my record cabinet.
Olds- feel free to post away on the links; I merely reserve the right not to click on them. :P

Plus Ill give you upvotes too!  Because of your willingness to exercise your freedoms of choice...of not to click on them.

Image result for upvote gif

And as these latest posts have been made, and with @dfelt's GnR song choice, I have been whisked away from the Phil Collins kick and unto something you might  appreciate even less. LOL  ( because of all the freedom talk Ive done since this morning  and its in the title...plus he is Greek)  

• Agree 1

Song #4 was produced by Phil. There many familiar Genesis/Phil Collins elements in that song.  I think that Genesis was doing there own thing with Peter Gabriel at the helm, especially with Gabriel and after Gabriel, when Phil kinda took over the music direction  and set pop trends in the 1980s.  

I love 1980s pop. But Im no fool to think that it aint what Im complaining about today's music. It was. But there are many 1980s pop stars that set the musical trends for everyone else to follow. Prince, Phil Collins, Michael Jackson to name a couple are such of those pop stars.  

Frida and Abba.  Im not very familiar with their trends. I do not know if they were creators and were not the emulators. But I also know that Abba was pretty big. 

Now...was it junk?  Well, it certainly was kinda like junk food like BBQ chips...sure.  But pure junk?   I dunno. Not being sarcastic. I really do not know.

I could say with ease, glam rock group Poison was junk.  I love their music. Still do. But junk.  One reason why rock faded away was because of too many music producers were rolling out groups like Poison.  

Im not trying to school you Balthy. Im just wanting to confirm to you that I understand you and where you are coming from. 

• Agree 2

And in other items, I see the first couple tracks from RTJ4 on YT, so I delved into a little of the back catalog of El-P & Killer Mike, including the jazz album by El-P.

My first thought on this was a comparison between the sound of this track and some 3rd Bass tracks. Maybe that's just me.

Then I see the car in the video and smile...

What? No People Are People to go with Power Station songs?

I am enjoying the Orbison tracks right now.  He passed during my senior year of high school, and I remember actually being sad by the fact.

• Agree 1

Bill Withers passed away a few days ago.  He was 81.  It was caused by other health issues and not related to the current pandemic.

He had three big songs, among others, but two were sort of downers ("Lean on Me" and "Ain't No Sunshine").  That leaves this one as his best song, IMO:

R.I.P. Mr. Withers

• Agree 2

On 4/2/2020 at 11:50 PM, Olds Guy said:

I am enjoying the Orbison tracks right now.  He passed during my senior year of high school, and I remember actually being sad by the fact.

I saw him perform a few years before he died. I & my friend were the only young folk there; I didn’t think 50-something women groupies were a thing.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

One of my favorite recent Pearl Jam tracks..can't believe it's been almost 30 years since I first heard them...

and my favorite Super Bowl half time show, Prince from 2007..I love Prince, miss him...his covers of All Along the Watchtower and Best of You are fantastic...

• Agree 1

Been listening to the various musical compilations from around the world on YouTube. Amazing how individuals have come together to host concerts freely online and the amount of non-professionals doing covers. Very cool stuff.

Andrea Bocelli just gave a live solo performance for Easter at Milan's cathredal (Duomo di Milano) upon being invited by the city and the (arch)diocese.  In the beginning, he's inside the church but, at the end, he is singing outside the church and they pan over some of the world's great but empty cities.  One of the lines in the lyrics of the last song is especially noteworthy.

Happy Easter to our members who celebrate it.  And anyone else who wants to share a day of peace and rebirth in general.

• Agree 2

Good song. 

Great movie - "The Night Shift" - it starred Henry Winkler, Shelley Long (from "Cheers'), and was the first film for Michael Keaton, who did a fantastic job in his debut.

• Agree 1

Saw this earlier

Laughed a bit. But Im just not feeling it. 

Im feeling kinda rebellious tonight.  So I listened  to the non-parody version. 

And now I guess I mellowed out because of the Ramones...but Ill do the Offspring cover.  Idle hands was an AWESOME MOVIE!!!

Just to let you you know...I dont DO drugs.  Not then. Not now...never will.

And now...Im happy again!!!

On 4/2/2020 at 11:50 PM, Olds Guy said:

What? No People Are People to go with Power Station songs?

Just finished listening to “you got it”... 🙂 

spliced into this YouTube video

"One Tree Hill" by U2

I have seen this exact spectacle - and a spectacle it was - various times over the years ... and was even allowed to ditch school for it, as in, "Yes, you should go!"

Adieu, QE2!

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1