Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

NEW FIT

regfootball

I want to have a FIT!!!!!!!!!

I want to have a FIT!!!!!!!!!

We all knew you couldn't resist Honda forever :P

For what it is, it actually looks pretty good and far more substantial than the old one. It seems that Honda is making progress with its designs while Toyota keeps getting worse and worse.

Edited by Dodgefan

I know this car (and most Hondas in general) are well built and reliable, but the company's exterior designs lack vision or passion.

If I had to buy a car in this class, I would prefer a Mazda2 (which Mazda stubbornly refuses to bring here) or the upcoming Ford Fiesta (if it will look anything like the Verve concept car).

The front end is definitely cartoonish, especially the oversized headlights. It's a clean, decent-looking design overall, though, and the improved interior looks nice. The current Fit is a class-leader in the segment; it handles great, gets excellent gas mileage, and has Honda build quality and reliability. I just wish the MSRP was lower; $1,000 more puts you in a Civic Coupe. It doesn't make much sense to me to have two cars in different segments priced so close together.

Will the peppier verion be called the hissyfit? :hissyfit::smilewide:

HissyFit Si

Shame that the Chevy mini triplets won't make it to production anytime soon. Those three put this thing to shame.

Well, that's GM's big problem. They are way too late to the party....in any segment they compete in....!

GM should have been the FIRST to bring out one of the mini triplets....WELL BEFORE Honda decided to bring the Fit in and Nissan decided to start building the Versa. GM should have led this segment....

More power, fuel economy, and size. Seems like it should do even better than the car it is replacing.

I hope they offer stability control and the 4WD models in NA.

Wouldn't 4WD eliminate some of the space and interior utility that makes the fit so useful?

A family we know wanted a small car, and had an emphasis on fuel economy. I suggested emphatically that a Fit would be the perfect decision.

They got a Pontaic Wave instead. :banghead:

None of these cars are going to win a beauty contest, but the redesigned Aveo sedan actually looks pretty good, inside especially. The upgrade to the interior materials was pretty decent. Having driven many Aveos, my only real complaint is the automatic slushbox - which isn't GM's and you can tell by the way it shifts. Gas mileage is a bit disappointing, but then I drive hard and that isn't the way these things are intended to be driven. None of these vehicles are rockets, but then anybody used to a V-6 is going to hate this segment anyway.

The market is just becoming way too fragmented. Nothing stands out. And speaking of late to the party: where is Ford or Chrysler in this pageant? Considering GM never took this segment seriously, the Aveo was a pretty decent first try. (Unless you count the Metro, and I don't - although I have come across a few Metro owners who love their bullet-proof beasts.)

Japan Inc has had a 30 year jump on this segment - they are the ones who should be ashamed. Their entries should be better: sheltered currency, sheltered home market, $2 a litre petrol for the past 30 years as a home incentive, and THIS IS THE BEST THEY CAN COME UP WITH? <_<

Japan Inc has had a 30 year jump on this segment - they are the ones who should be ashamed. Their entries should be better

Couldn't the same be said about domestic trucks?

And what exactly needs to be better about the Fit/Yaris/Versa? Just because they have a 30 year lead in the segment doesn't mean they have any sort of technology that all of the other manufacturers don't.

Yeah, I've looked at the Versa. I could pull that car apart with a bottle opener. Plus, the sedan is grotesque. No, thanks. I'll take CPO Civic or last year's Cobalt if I'm that worried about fuel economy.

LOL I wouldn't buy a Cobalt if fuel economy was the primary concern. 17.4 mpg is not exactly...even decent.

Couldn't the same be said about domestic trucks?

And what exactly needs to be better about the Fit/Yaris/Versa? Just because they have a 30 year lead in the segment doesn't mean they have any sort of technology that all of the other manufacturers don't.

That's right, cherry pick my remarks and then deflect. Like, Toyota (Hino) hasn't been building trucks for the past 30 years? There has never been a U.S. built subcompact. The Vega and Pinto were smash hits, but Detroit has never taken this market seriously because there was no money in it, and until recently there was no sense of urgency. Japan Inc. has been building compacts and subcompacts for a few decades and they, too, are treating this market with disdain.

We've all seen amazing show cars from nearly every manufacturer in this segment (not just the GM triplets in New York earlier this year), yet when the subcompacts go into production, they are fitted with cheaper plastics, generally boring interiors, lacklustre performance and indifferent styling. If North Americans are ever to be gotten off their big car/truck addiciton, they will need to be lured with great looking/riding small cars. There are tons of them in Europe and Brazil. Why not here? Why is it assumed that people only buy small cars because they are poor, cheap or stupid? We either get the ridiculous (Smart), cheap (Aveo/Rio, etc) or over-priced (Mini). How about a fun to drive, great looking small car that people with money and brains wouldn't mind driving?

Why do all Honda wagon/suv thingies, in their second generations, look like the first generation has just gotten REALLY fat and REALLY angry?!?!

It happened with the second CR-V (It looked like a bloated possum) and it appears to be happening with the Fit...

Maybe the 3rd generation of the Fit will follow suit with the 3rd generation CR-V and get on a trendy Hollywood diet while opting for f*ckt up Michael Jackson style plastic surgery for the grille and face of the car.

Things that make you go "What the hell were they thinking?"

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

LOL I wouldn't buy a Cobalt if fuel economy was the primary concern. 17.4 mpg is not exactly...even decent.

Dude, I do't know how you're getting 17 in that rental Cobalt

but your results are NOT typical of an average 2.2 ecotech

powered Cobalt. My mother gets high-20s consistantly with a

good portion of her driving being in rush hour traffic on rt.495

and back roads around Haverhill. She also has the automatic

by the way.... so I'm going to make an educated guess and

say with the 5-speed manual in the base Cobat if you drive

conservatively you might average 30 plus MPG.

You've probably been using your AC 24/7 with this heat wave,

can't blame you for that, your car is a RENTAL so god knows

how much abuse it's been through and to make matters worse

you're using it for local Pizza delivery which is the EPITOME of

city "stop-n-go" driving. Do you shut your car off when you're

walking up to a customer's door with their delivery? Cause in

that time you're getting exactly ZERO mpg.

Looks like a good city car. The current one is amazingly practical around town... it has the interior room of a much larger car.

yes.......................................but it has no armrest, the seats are rather flimsy [though good for small people], the engine is just adequate. It has an incredible suspension and driving feel along with a perfect Honda 5 spd manual tranny...which all make it a cool car. When I look at the exterior package however, I can only think there are better choices for $15k [Fit Sport], even a used car.

If fuel economy were the primary concern, and my budget was 15k, I might try to get a cobalt negotiated down, maybe an LT with the nicer wheels. there are plenty of consumer reviews online showing cobalt to consistently get above 30 mpg highway. If i had to stick to Japan, i would look at a last gen civic, there's no way a decently equipped new one will go for $15k; besides I don't really get the "youth feel" from the new gen as much, or as little, as I did from the last gen. if i had to get a hatch I would forsake economy and get the last SI.