SPY SHOTS! 2009/10 Opel Insignia (Vectra)

Flybrian

SPY SHOTS! 2009/10 Vauxhall Insignia
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ CAROnline

The Vauxhall Insignia, you say? I thought it was the new Vectra

They're one and the same, we hear. Eager to spruce up its repmobile's reputation, Vauxhall and sister firm Opel are planning to drop the Vectra tag in favour of the Insignia name, harking back to the executive-style concept from a few years back.

We've already scooped the new Vectra, and it's destined to follow the sleeker shape of the GTC concept car. It seems that the family car segment is finally throwing off its dull-as-ditchwater reputation, with the arrival of the classier Mondeo and the like.

Posted Image

Concept car looks you say? Seems neat enough...

Ignore all this development hack's testing gear littering the cabin and you're left with exactly how the new Insignia will look inside. And as well as the new design, Opel/Vauxhall hope to raise the quality of the Vectra to move it away from its workaday roots. It's not alone in that pursuit, of course; every manufacturer from Ford to Renault makes similar claims, but those who've seen the car claim it is indeed a step in the right direction.

Our shots were snapped during high-altitude testing in the Rocky Mountain region of Colorado; this car will be sold in the US as well as Europe.

Posted Image

How similar to the show car is it inside?

The basic architecture is identical. The instrument binnacle ahead of the driver is the same, with two small fuel and coolant gauges flanked by the larger speedo and tacho. Even the switchgear is the same as in the GTC concept car (picture on left, above).

The centre console is dominated by a digital display mounted high up, and Vauxhall is finally moving away from the fiddly little buttons that spoil many current Vauxhall interiors. Expect it to be roomy, too - the new model will grow to around 4.8m long, freeing up more space for luggage and limbs.

And it looks like this Insignia/Aura will severely lack headroom here too. I just hope that the trunk space goes up-Chevy Malibu and a Saturn mid-size we won't name had the biggest trunks in their classes, at 17.3 and 17.5 cubic feet respectively. Now Malibu is like 15-something and Aura is 14.9. In this class, that's average, and average is not good enough today, yet people seem to settle for it just fine. (I like the new Malibu and the Aura a lot-that's what I'd get if a mid-size shopper, but the only-average trunk space is a weak spot).

4800mm x 0.0394= 189.1" overall length. Same as Pontiac G6; about 1" shorter than today's Aura (190.9"), and 2" less than the 2008 Chevy Malibu, which is at 191" overall.

H'mmmmmmm :scratchchin: Gotta admit it is nice but still just another average auto. Does not blow me away. Course I was not blown away by the concept car or even the malibu. Nicer than the units they replace, but still missing that gotta have it feel. <_<

Isn't that pretty close to the same steering wheel in those far out Buick interior renders we saw?

almost, the renders had much less air bag space

exterior...unknown if better than the new bu, other than lights and grill work.

interior... nice, but nothing that'll blow the competition away from what i see

The GTC concept interior was really nice, I hope the Aura interior is close to the concept. The original Aura concept had a nice looking interior also, then they cheaped out on some places, like replacing the driver info display with just an airbag warning light. I see they might do that with not putting the navigation system in. The Accord offers a nav system, GM is going to have to make it an option on the Aura and Malibu.

Epsilon has plenty of size, Aura is 190 inches long, 08 Malibu is 192, Camry and Accord are 191, Fusion is 190. 190 inches long seems to be the magic number for midsize cars.

Slim down that swaying beer gut and you might just be able to get in it! :AH-HA_wink:

Epsilons are narrow because of their European origin (Vectra/9-3), I presume...Europeans have narrower roads and Europeans tend to be trimmer than the typical obese American. Honda knows the size of Americans, though--the new Accord is 3 inches wider than the new Malibu..

Edited by moltar

Epsilons are narrow because of their European origin (Vectra/9-3), I presume...Europeans have narrower roads and Europeans tend to be trimmer than the typical obese American. Honda knows the size of Americans, though--the new Accord is 3 inches wider than the new Malibu..

moltar, you have opened up my eyes! Now I see why obese Americans need, no actually crave, obese Holden cars! It explains so much scientifically. Large bodies attract! :AH-HA_wink:

Yeah... that explains why the 2008 Accord is the first large sedan Honda has ever made and why GM doesn't offer vehicles larger than the current Malibu...

It's funny, all of a sudden it becomes acceptable or fashionable to build "large" vehicles, once Honda and Toyota do it. However, if a car's dimensions are out of proportion with Honda or Toyota... it's too big or has ancient proportions.

People still complain about the Lucerne's dimensions, yet its overhangs are within an inch of the Avalon's. The wheelbase is where the extra length comes from.

• 2 weeks later...

What a good-looking interior!

Definately agreed . You can see they even caried over the glowing coves around the gauges from the concept ....why else would the coves be tranparent white .

Hopefully they dont cheap out on the materials like they did the new Malibu . They got the dash material finally looking good with a nice satin sheen , and then ruined all the details with all that cheap rattle can looking silver paint . I realize they cant use real aluminum in competively price midsizer , but man ....peer in a few other cars GM . The brushed aluminum coatings at least look close the real thing .

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but GM needs to learn that its not 1982 anymore, and that narrow 69-70" widths are no longer acceptable in this day and age-personally, I'd prefer it to be 72-73" wide, and the full-size cars no narrower than 76".

moltar, you have opened up my eyes! Now I see why obese Americans need, no actually crave, obese Holden cars! It explains so much scientifically. Large bodies attract! :AH-HA_wink:

My CTS is the smallest car I've ever owned.

My previous cars were:

'94 Cutlass

'85 Contientnal

'83 Caprice

'85 Toronado

I'm 5'10" 150lbs and I crave another E-body.

Yeah but GM needs to learn that its not 1982 anymore, and that narrow 69-70" widths are no longer acceptable in this day and age-personally, I'd prefer it to be 72-73" wide, and the full-size cars no narrower than 76".

The STS/new CTS and I believe the Zeta cars are both 72" wide. How much wider do they need to be?

• 1 month later...

People still complain about the Lucerne's dimensions, yet its overhangs are within an inch of the Avalon's. The wheelbase is where the extra length comes from.

But Toyota "styles" the front end to look like a snow plow so it appears shorter.

• 4 months later...