Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DetroitWonk

First shots of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

67 posts in this topic

How loud and unrefined will a supercharged pushrod be? This is like a 3800 Series III Supercharged on steroids. BMW is working on a twin turbo V10 and 8 speed transmission, the M5 will still beat this car, the M3 could probably beat it on a race track due to the massive weight advantage. Can't compete with BMW with a pushrod. Or with the Mercedes AMG cars or Audi V10s.

How loud and unrefined will a supercharged pushrod be? This is like a 3800 Series III Supercharged on steroids. BMW is working on a twin turbo V10 and 8 speed transmission, the M5 will still beat this car, the M3 could probably beat it on a race track due to the massive weight advantage. Can't compete with BMW with a pushrod. Or with the Mercedes AMG cars or Audi V10s.

Its obvious from your comments that you haven't been around a CTS-V.

That just made me laugh.

>>"Can't compete with BMW with a pushrod."<<

Ahh, another appearance by Mr. TenthofaSecond. Let's see if your theory holds any water.

C&D, 3/2004:

"...quicker than the M3 to 100 and 140 mph..."

"...trap speed was 107 mph compared to 106 for the m3 and m5"

"...the Cadillac's best lap -- 1:25:35 @ 74.7 mph)-- edged the m5 by 0.138. And there was no doubt... that there was another second or so that we were unable to explore." The CTS-V had a front tire pressure issue, even tho it out-skidpadded both bmws. M3 ran a 1:24:47 @ 75.4 mph.

Clearly, Cadillac has ALREADY handily competed with BMW "with a pushrod".

You will ignore this, of course.

i thought that was the whole point of having a supercharged pushrod v8.. to be loud and unrefined. i know i would want to hear that beast. that way when you go flyin past the local geezers they throw up their fist and scream dern fool kids! course come to think of it, since this is a caddy it may be the import high school kids saying "why old people gotta ruin our fun" as a 60 yr old in a cts-v owns them at a light.

Even my DOHC Aurora emits a healthy growl under heavy throttle. I don't want to own a car that doesn't sound powerful, nor do I want one that sounds like a broken Casio synthesizer (FX35). I remember testing a 2004 LS430 once at CarMax when I was getting my Olds appraised. Sure, it was fast 0-60, but I couldn't hear a shred of evidence that anything under the hood was motivating it to those speeds; could've been magnets or an invisible towline for all I could hear. Why would I want a car like that? Why would anyone?

I hope there's a grille available that's not made from chicken wire. Other than that, it sounds like a very promising sports sedan.

So THIS is why Chris was doing 133mph the other day....

Nah I shot the CTSv before I even had the Audi.

I want to hear the V8...there is nothing more intoxicating than the rumble of one....and nothing that sounds better. ^_^

How are these in any manner the "first shots" of the CTS-V?

My new car in 2010. :AH-HA_wink:

I thought you wanted a CTS-D :P

Am I the only one that likes the standard front grille rather than the CTS-V one?

I know that I am nit picking but that grille is tiny.

Just my opinion.

Sorry to be so crass, but why don't you pour yourself a shot?

Posted Image

While I support Cadillac becoming more European in some ways(smaller size, stiffer handling, no more DTS's), I don't want Cadillac to become European. Meaning, the engine is perfect for this car.

American V8 rumble, supercharger whine.... this is a luxury car with attitude. The way a Cadillac should be.

anyone else notice the huge, goofy grin on the driver's face?

just ads merit to the new CTS commercial tag line "when you turn your car on... does it return the favor?" which by the way... is my favorite car commercial ever

The CTS-V had a front tire pressure issue

I take it magazine reviews don't know how to inflate a tire? :AH-HA_wink:

You're an idiot. Go home.

I take it magazine reviews don't know how to inflate a tire? :AH-HA_wink:

Considering some of the reviews we've read I don't think we can trust car reviewers with anything more dangerous than a rubber eraser.

I own both a DOHC V6 and a pushrod V8. Both seems equally smooth. The 5.3 in the Avalanche is actually substantially quieter and smoother than the 3.6 in the CTS at idle. Besides, the CTS-V going to be a large displacement torque monster with a supercharger, what could be more American than that?

The current CTS-V was already so close to BMW in terms of performance that differences were usually relegated to driver error.

Clearly you haven't heard the decimating thunder of the AMG 6.3 or the diesely direct-injection cold idle clatter of the M5 V10 (which then turns into a hi-rev snort).

The old AMG supercharged 5.5 made some of the greatest noises ever. Even from idle it a had a jet-engine wail and a satisfying low-pitched rumble.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0