Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flybrian

Solstice Targa (GMX627) coming in '09

29 posts in this topic

GM plans Pontiac Solstice Targa
Posted Image
10/05/07, 10:02am, EDT | Link to Original Article @ LeftLane News

General Motors will begin production of a Pontiac Solstice Targa model in early 2009, according to well placed sources. It's not clear how the project relates to the previously-rumored Solstice coupe. Internally, GM refers to the Targa as GMX627.

Production will start production in January of 2009 at GM's Wilmington plant. Production may be limited to as few as 10,000 units annually. Possible debut venues would include SEMA '08 or LAIAS '08.

Lutz said any possible Solstice Coupe would look "exactly" like the Solstice Coupe Concept shown in 2002, so it's safe to assume the Targa model will share its basic lines with that concept. He said it was always GM's intention to build the coupe, but priority went to the roadster.

Awesome, if their "safe assumption" comes true...

Hmmmmmm, Someone may have already driven one! :smilewide:

That is just a wish of mine.

I believe Pontias was not wishing but stating a fact. :smilewide: But I do wish I could test drive these mules. That would be an awesome job. :smilewide:

IF it's as drop dead sexy as the concept it will be another hit. I just wish that the B pillar was blacked out... it would give it a sexier window line in my opionion

Once these models arrive, it will truly be the baby Corvette, offering the same bodystyles and everything. I think this will go a long way in improving sales that have slumped. I bet the coupe and targa will double sales.

So would 'someone' like to comment about an increase in trunk/hatch space?

Thats what Im sayin . A real useable trunk would take from being a looker , to a potential buyer .

Targa , useable trunk and LNF FTW !!!!

Crank that 2.0 turbo to 300hp. Make its dynamics class leading, add 6-speed in it and then throw it on the tails of the Germans and then see them run like Chicken lil's.

Crank that 2.0 turbo to 300hp. Make its dynamics class leading, add 6-speed in it and then throw it on the tails of the Germans and then see them run like Chicken lil's.

and with a base 2.4L w/ ~200hp, yes.

is the 3.6L too tall for the engine bay?

but yes. 300hp with a 6 speed, how can it go wrong?

No LS4 but the 300 HP Eco is on it's way.

Which makes both Kappa and Alpha suddenly more interesting to me. :AH-HA_wink:

I'd prefer a proper coupe over a Targa, but let's see what it looks like.

Hey looky here in this thread almost a year ago: http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...st&p=215286 :AH-HA_wink:

And oh by the way, the targa top is actually a soft top, at least that will be an option. Not sure if there will be a hardtop targa too, but there will definitely be a soft top.

With cargo space at a premium in the Kappa chassis, a softtop Targa bodystyle could be a solution for storing the top while on excursion. This sounds very promising, and it is a REAL Pontiac! :AH-HA_wink:

you know...

every day, i seem to be impressed more and more by Lutz...

it seems everything he has said is coming true...

GM seems to be lining up a whole fleet of considerable vehicles for the average public...

Alpha, Kappa, Epsilon II, Zeta, Sigma II, Lambda, Gamma, next gen Equinox, C7, Ute, CUV(ridgeline competition), C3XX and more are expected within the next 4-5 years... thats basically everything GM sells is going to be redesigned... on more flexible, cheaper, more desireable platforms...

I really see GM growing year of year until at least 2013...it would be nice to see them get back into the 30% market share again...

With cargo space at a premium in the Kappa chassis, a softtop Targa bodystyle could be a solution for storing the top while on excursion. This sounds very promising, and it is a REAL Pontiac! :AH-HA_wink:

A real Saturn and Opel too. :AH-HA_wink:

Is the targa bodystyle going to other divisions selling Kappas?

Mr. hyper... what other car is a Solstice twin? None. It wears its own distinctive skin. And that's the way it should be. Saturn was going through a style transformation to become a mere American Opel... no big deal the Sky is a (good looking) clone of the GT. Daewoo is a non-entity here in The States, so I don't care.

Edited by ocnblu

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room