Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

CNN / Money rips ASTRA

79 posts in this topic

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/...stra/index.html

Cost-saving and category-beating don't go hand in hand though. In this case, the Astra is a solid base-hit but, ultimately, it fails to score.

Maybe later GM will find some money in its strained coffers to really fit this car out for the American market. In the meantime, if you're looking for a compact car, you'll find others that perform better, hold your drink for you and speak your language.

the moron who writes the article hates the interior and basically trashes the car because of cupholders.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/...stra/index.html

the moron who writes the article hates the interior and basically trashes the car because of cupholders.

The cupholder design does seem poor though....behind the armrest? Awkward.

I'm sure we'll hear people whine about the cupholder for years (especially in saturn enthusiast circles). It's the downside of a stopgap product. If cupholders are a dealbreaker for a customer, they they probably should buy something else. It doesn't make the car inherently bad, but it could certainly be a daily frustration for some drivers. Of course there will be car reviewers that hate the whole car because of little things like this.

I'm sure we'll hear people whine about the cupholder for years (especially in saturn enthusiast circles). It's the downside of a stopgap product. If cupholders are a dealbreaker for a customer, they they probably should buy something else. It doesn't make the car inherently bad, but it could certainly be a daily frustration for some drivers. Of course there will be car reviewers that hate the whole car because of little things like this.

How was the cupholder design in the Ion? My preferred design are two fixed cupholders behind the shifter ahead of the armrest..

That is why the Golf scored badly in some surveys—not enough cupholders in the right place. It's a European thing. You're not supposed to drink anything while driving.

It's understandable that this guy's complaining that GM didn't spend a lot on the interior, but I get the feeling that this journalist would be complaining if GM didn't bother bringing it here. This car may have a few quirks that Americans may not like, but it's better then any other American branded compact and is more attractive then all of the domestic and foreign vehicles in the same class (with the exception of the Mazda 3).

Ford is still struggling with an out of date compact and enthusiasts are still scratching their heads and wondering why Ford says it's impossible to bring the Euro Focus over but GM is able to bring the Astra over with no problem.

We all know Ford is strapped for cash right now, but you really need to spend money to make money.

I HATE cupholders between the shifter & armrest- haven't been in a car yet that had them where any drink would interfere with your arm. I would pay & change out the console in my wife's car could I get a matching one that would put the drinks either anyplace else or behind the armrest.

I HATE cupholders between the shifter & armrest- haven't been in a car yet that had them where any drink would interfere with your arm. I would pay & change out the console in my wife's car could I get a matching one that would put the drinks either anyplace else or behind the armrest.

I've never had an issue w/ that arrangement in my Jeep, but it's an automatic, so I don't shift much (and the armrest is high relative to the cupholders). I can't stand the flimsy pop-out ones that some cars have that block the HVAC or radio controls when in use...

How was the cupholder design in the Ion? My preferred design are two fixed cupholders behind the shifter ahead of the armrest..

here's a pic of the ion interior

2003_Saturn-ION_interior2_500w.jpg

lol @ bumper car steering wheel. Some Ions had a better steering wheel... but yeah.

Edited by PurdueGuy

The cupholders in my Aurora have proven to be a mild irritant on an almost daily basis...but that's like the one thing between it and perfection so I won't complain too much. I actually like the fold-out design, but not being completely enclosed allows drinks to "sweat" onto the wood console right where the heated seat switches are--not good.

When I test drove the Asstra, honestly, I spent about 2 seconds checking out the cupholder that pops out of the backseat. I was more interested in how the car drove.

My car has to cupholders that deploy out of the center armrest I like that they hide away. if there's a flaw to the design it's that smaller drinks tend to move around, and if they are narrow and somewhat tall like a thermos, they can, and halve tipped over. Later models had fixed cupholders. Models with the option armrest, which my lacks, ad two more cupholders.

Elsewhere, GM saved pennies by not changing any of the user interface features on the Astra. That means you'll have to spend some time figuring out the button with a picture of a telephone receiver on wheels (CD player) or the one with a diagram of a screaming ball trapped in a birdhouse (radio).

No wonder Europeans rip on us for being stupid.

No wonder Europeans rip on us for being stupid.

Lots of people laugh at the dash-concealed cupholders in the new BMWs....but on second thought, I think BMW has gotten it right.....!

Granted I have two manual-trans cars....but I HATE cupholders behind the shifter and in front of the armrest. I always have something in the cupholder (coffee? Propel? bottled water?) and I have to contort my hand/arm around the drink(s) to shift. UGH.

Auto-trans cars are prolly not a big deal though.

The Astra actually has a cup holder in the front.

Its inside the glovebox!!! :pokeowned:

Look inside when you sit in one. Its completely useless unless you are travelling alone, have an empty glovebox and stop the car to use it. :yes:

The Astra actually has a cup holder in the front.

Its inside the glovebox!!! :pokeowned:

Look inside when you sit in one. Its completely useless unless you are travelling alone, have an empty glovebox and stop the car to use it. :yes:

Oh, like a 1988 GMC S-15 or an old '70s GMC pickup?

100_0524.jpg

31221d1152253894-s-10-install-progress-b

:P

Edited by YellowJacket894

I've also had frustrations with the cupholders between the shifter & dash on my saturns, but accidentally found a solution in my gold car. Short throw shifter. The shifter doesn't move far enough forward for the cups to be an obstruction, plus I love being able to shift with practically a flick of the wrist. The stock shifter feels like rowing a boat now. lol

Oh, like a 1988 GMC S-15 or an old '70s GMC pickup?

100_0524.jpg

:P

Yeah, sorta.

Ill snap a picture today.

I saw an ad for the Astra the other day tauting 32 hwy mpg, which prompted me to look into it (I didn't even know it was available here yet). I am quite astonished at the EPA ratings. It has a 1.8L engine slightly weaker than the Civic's, yet only achieves 24/32. The automatic looks even more grim at 24/30.

Getting barely better mileage than a considerably larger, heavier, and probably faster mid-size sedan isn't a good selling point:

Accord 2.4L Automatic

21/31

Astra 1.8L Automatic

24/30

The Astra weighs about 100 lbs more than the Civic in base form (the gap narrows to only a few lbs in the high end model), has one less gear on the automatic, and less hp and tq. I can't imagine driving it is going to be that exciting. Why didn't GM put a larger engine in it? I bet the mileage would be the same.

the Astra's most compelling points will be its style and uniqueness. It's a stylish auto that I know I would be happy being seen in, since it'll be percieved as cool. And mostly people who are drawn to its looks will snap it up. From that perspective, mileage won't be all that much of a factor.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0