Exterior color (17U) Quicksilver Metallic

09pong6_gm17wa636r_nf.jpg

Exterior color (50U) Summit White

09pong6_gm50wa8624_nf.jpg

Exterior color (51U) Gold Mist Metallic

09pong6_gm51wa316n_nf.jpg

Exterior color (92U) Silver Green Metallic

09pong6_gm92wa633r_nf.jpg

(PDZ) Sport Package 2, includes (LZ4) 3.5L Variable Valve Timing V6 SFI engine, (PFF) 17" (43.2 cm) painted cast aluminum wheels, (QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires, (F83) 3.05 axle ratio, Hydraulic Power Steering (HPS), (T96) front fog lamps and (T43) rear spoiler. (PDZ) is available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan

(PCN) Sun and Sound Plus Package, includes (UBK) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc CD changer, (CF5) power sunroof and either (PFE) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech cast aluminum wheels on GT models or (P79) 18" (45.7 cm) 5-spoke, flangeless Black Chrome-Tech wheels on GXP models. (PCN) is available on GT and GXP Sedan & Coupe models

(MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, electronically controlled with overdrive, includes Driver Shift Control (included with {PDX} Sport Package 1 on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan)

(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires (standard on G6 Sedan)

(FXK) 2.89 axle ratio (included with [PDX] Sport Package 1 on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan)

(UE0) OnStar, not installed (available for Fleet or Government order types only on G6 Sedan)

Changes

(PDX) Sport Package 1 contains new content. On 2ZG69 G6 Sedan, (PDX) includes (FX3) StabiliTrak, Dynamic Control System, (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, (T43) rear spoiler and (FXK) 2.89 axle ratio. On 2ZH67 GT Convertible, (PDX) contains (LZ9) 3.9L Variable Valve Timing V6 SFI engine, exhaust outlets with dual chrome tips, (M15) 4-speed automatic transmission, (FR3) 3.69 axle ratio, (C68) front automatic air conditioning, (QR2) 18" (45.7 cm) 5-spoke, bright Chrome-Tech wheels and (AG1) 6-way power driver seat adjuster

(PCM) Preferred Package, available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan, contains new content, which now includes (K34) cruise control, (AP8) extended-range remote keyless entry, (AP3) Remote vehicle starter system, (JA7) leather-wrapped brake handle, (VY7) leather-wrapped shift knob, (UK3) steering-wheel mounted audio controls and (N34) leather-wrapped steering wheel

(PCJ) Sun and Sound Package is now only available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan and now includes (UBK) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc CD changer, (CF5) power sunroof and (DD7) inside rearview auto-dimming mirror with compass display and driver and front passenger visor vanity mirrors (was available on GT & GXP Sedan and Coupe models in 2008)

(PCQ) Premium Package is now available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan and contains new content. (PCQ) now includes front bucket leather-appointed seats, (AG1) 6-way power driver seat adjuster and (KA1) heated driver and front passenger seats

(U2K) XM Radio is now standard on G6 Sedan (was available in 2008)

(AP3) Remote vehicle starter system is now standard on GT models and GXP Sedan and Coupe models and is included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package on G6 Sedan

(AP9) Trunk cargo nets is now standard on GT and GXP Sedan and Coupe models and available on G6 Sedan (was available and part of [PCQ] Premium Package on GT models and [PCM] Preferred Package on GXP models and G6 Sedan in 2008)

(DD7) inside rearview auto-dimming mirror with compass display is now included and only available with (PCJ) Sun and Sound Package on G6 Sedan and is now standard on GT Sedan and Coupe models (Replaces manual inside rearview mirror)

(K34) Cruise control is now included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package on G6 Sedan (was standard in 2008)

(B37) Front and rear carpeted floor mats is now standard on GT and GXP models and available on G6 Sedan (was available and part of [PCQ] Premium Package on GT models and [PCM] Preferred Package on GXP models and G6 Sedan in 2008)

(T43) rear spoiler is now standard on 2ZH69 GT Sedan (was available in 2008)

(PFF) 17" (43.2 cm) painted cast aluminum wheels is now standard on GT Sedan and Coupe models (was available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan with [PDX] Sport Package in 2008)

(PFE) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech cast aluminum wheels is now available and part of (PCN) Sun and Sound Plus Package on GT Sedan and Coupe models (was standard in 2008)

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...6863&type=0

Edited by caddycruiser

Why is the 3500 still around? I think it would cut production costs to just have a two engined lineup in the G6. I can't see this engine offering any benefit over the HF 3.6.

Well, it's been killed off in the Aura and only shows up in random fleet order Malibus (not sure why), so it's going away slowly...but no one cares about the G6, so whoop, it stays with it.

Why is the 3500 still around? I think it would cut production costs to just have a two engined lineup in the G6. I can't see this engine offering any benefit over the HF 3.6.

Probably for the fleet models.

They nuked the power-adjustible pedals? WTF?

Did it on the Malibu and Aura too. My guess would be to simplify production, either make them standard across the board or delete them. Deleting them all together was probably cheaper. Yay new GM!

Re: power pedals... just like any manufacturer, why have a feature nobody used anyway? Although some of this info is confusing as heck, I do like the fact the VL sedan is gone for '09, this will move the line upward. I love that Silver Green color. A nice Silver Green GT coupe would be cool with 18" rims.

The Grand Am went '99-'04 ('05 for the GT coupe) without any visual changes, that was 6-7 years. The G6 is, lest we forget, a much nicer car than the Grand Am was, inside and out. Does anyone remember the goofy-ass Dolly Parton instrument cluster hood? The poorly-grained dash and door panels? The G6 interior has much nicer materials than the old Grand Am. This car has been a substantive improvement over what came before.

Maybe the 2010 will have some design changes, but I still like this car.

Edited by ocnblu

Re: power pedals... just like any manufacturer, why have a feature nobody used anyway? Although some of this info is confusing as heck, I do like the fact the VL sedan is gone for '09, this will move the line upward. I love that Silver Green color. A nice Silver Green GT coupe would be cool with 18" rims.

The Grand Am went '99-'04 ('05 for the GT coupe) without any visual changes, that was 6-7 years. The G6 is, lest we forget, a much nicer car than the Grand Am was, inside and out. Does anyone remember the goofy-ass Dolly Parton instrument cluster hood? The poorly-grained dash and door panels? The G6 interior has much nicer materials than the old Grand Am. This car has been a substantive improvement over what came before.

I think it's just relatively the G6 is getting long in the tooth, especially with the Aura and new Malibu around. The Malibu was redesigned in 2008, and the last one came in 2004. So a 4 year span.

After all the mid-size segment is very competitive.

Well, it's in the Impala, don't forget. It also gets better fuel economy than the 3.6L.

I agree. It's now in the shadow because of the Aura and Malibu, which are arguably better done, and also how much it has been fleeted, but it is still a nice car. Odd, smooth and bland lines, but still strong. Not a huge standout, but as you said...out of this WORLD compared to the Grand Am and that disgusting (in feel as wel as looks) interior, 3.4L, etc.

But oh well. Nothing big, but quite a lot of small stuff still, and should soldier on until something new replaces it.

Thinking back...you know what's odd? I actually think the G6 has a higher quality feeling dash upper and doors as well as some trim than the 2 newer models do, particularly the Aura, and at least equal to the Malibu. It's just been hampered by the now ancient center stack and such.

Thinking back...you know what's odd? I actually think the G6 has a higher quality feeling dash upper and doors as well as some trim than the 2 newer models do, particularly the Aura, and at least equal to the Malibu. It's just been hampered by the now ancient center stack and such.

Agreed on the upper dash and entire door panel...

the smoothed out styling, odd proportions, and just jello-y surfacing all add up to a G6 that looks like a relic of the '90's compared to today's fit-looking sedans. i wish they could do some minor work that would result in major changes, like the 9-3 but that car had a very good base to begin with and the substantial changes and new Saab face all work real well for that car.

G6 needs changes regardless. GM should not just neglect this car any money, but I guess they go by brand and not model and right now Pontiac is getting some kind of infusion. At the cost of a midsize car that used to be among the 10 best selling cars, at least under a previous iteration. Pontiac should not become GM fleet central. They should just develop a GM 'no-name' for that role. something dumbed down from a chevy, and then let the brands fleet out smaller numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Less costly to build, about 5 MPG more in real world driving, 3 better in the rating for highway, smaller and less complex and probably lighter too.

Agreed on the upper dash and entire door panel...

IMHO, the entire interior execution, MINUS the center stack, is superior to either Malibu OR AURA.

The gauge cluster even looks nice and lacks the cheap plastic detailing found in the AURA around it's gauges.

My only beef, like someone else said, are the ancient center stack controls and the very poor execution surrounding where the center stack meets up (or doesn't meet up) with the center console.

Other than that, it's still not bad.

Less costly to build, about 5 MPG more in real world driving, 3 better in the rating for highway, smaller and less complex and probably lighter too.

.....and less powerful than today's modern V6s, growly and unrefined, and mated to a 4-speed automatic tranny......

You know what could be an interesting update to both help CAFE and make this car better differentiated from the other LWB epsilons? all 4 bangers.

2.4 VVT base with 175 hp and the 6 speed auto. That would be the base car as it stands now just with the 6 speed. Then starting at about 23.5 k for the GT give it the 260 hp 2.0 DI Turbo 4 in the cobalt and the gxp solstice with a 6 speed auto and maybe even the 6 speed stick from the 93 . Should provide equal if not slightly better berformance to the 3.6, much better fuel economy and it will make the g6 feel lighter and more athletic. Then for the GXP, besides restyling the hideous thing, you use the more powerful version of the 2.0 turbo thats coming soon for a 285 hp or so GXP version and maybe even give it the AWD off the 93 sedan.

I think come CY 2009 when comes around Epsilon and Epsilon 2 could look like this in terms of drivertrains -

Malibu/aura - stay as is but standard 6 speed 2.4 across the board. Maybe give the 2.4 DI for better power and fuel economy. 3,6 option for mid and top trims. Sport/redline model is detuned 3.6 DI makeing about 285 hp.

93 - Might as well give the 93 the new 2.0 DI turbo as the base. Why have a weaker 2.0 t in production? Make the 2.8T with 280 hp and 300 ftlbs the only v6 option. Should probably increase its power with Di though and make it more like 310/330 on AWD models though.

G6 - 2.4 6 speed base, 2.0t with 260 for the GT and 2.0 with 285 for the GXP

Lacrosse - 3.6 with 260 hp base. 2.8t with 315 hp and AWD optional.

No more pushrod v6s and with the exception of the malibu and aura no direct drevtrain matches yet there is still enough sharing between cars that it can support the 4 basic engines on an economy of scale to make this work.

For those that wonder why they still have the 3.5 VVT - if you look, they still have the 3.9 VVT in the convertible, too.

Now why they don't switch to the 3.6 for the 'vert is beyond me.

And for my $0.02 - I wouldn't mind a G6 GXP Coupe with the LNF (maybe uprated to 300 hp?)/6A/Saab XWD...

It doesn't offer any benefit, but it is cheap to build, and Pontiac and Buick are both rely on incentives and low prices to move cars, so they need cheap engines like the 3500 and 3800. Same reason the 3400 is in the Equinox and Torrent, it s a cheap engine and it is built in China and is even cheaper. The G6 is priced below the Malibu, it isn't a sports sedan, it is an economy/rental sedan.

I actually think Pontiac should become fleet central, the Vibe, G6, G5 are priced the same or less than the Chevy counterparts, at least then the fleet sales would be from one brand, not multiple brands like it is now. Then only one brand has poor resale value. I thought when the UAW contract was ironed out it said the G6 was getting an update for 2012-2013. I think this car has 4 more years in it's current form, so I can't see it being anymore than a rental car as times goes on. It is already uncompetitive.

still having the 3500 in one of the epsilons is a safeguard against how many 3.6's they can crank out. if demand for the 3.6 in other vehicles is high, then some g6 production can still take up the slack with the 3.5. For fleets and rentals I don't see the problem.

And, it gives them a low price v6 for those who don't want the 4 and can't afford the HF.

The bigger crime is that the G6 has had no interior gut and redo. and it could use an exterior freshening.

Still, look how long the modiocre mazda 6 has soldiered on with a crappy 3.0 buzzbomb and 4 pot under the hood and no visual updates.

IMO, pontiac is readying the next G6 for eps2 and i think they are just riding the current g6 out until they get there.

Still, look how long the modiocre mazda 6 has soldiered on with a crappy 3.0 buzzbomb and 4 pot under the hood and no visual updates.

That "crappy 3.0 buzzbomb" is still a more satisfying engine than the 3500 (I know....I put 51K miles on one.)

And every Mazda6 or Fusion I've had with the L4 and automatic has been a very nice driver.......so much so, I'm very surprised at the Fusion's poor showing in the last C&D comparo of midsize sedans.....

.....and less powerful than today's modern V6s, growly and unrefined, and mated to a 4-speed automatic tranny......

It's not as creamy smooth as the 3.6 DOHC but my 2007 Malibus 3500 is not growly and unrefined and my 4 speed automatic may be shy on gears but shifts better than most 6 speed automatics I have driven, including a 2008 Malibu LTZ and a Saturn Aura 3.6 XR. That and I constantly average 28-29 MPG in everyday 60/40 driving with it, a pipe dream with anything with the 3.6 Global engine. As for power, no it's not as fast as the 3.6 or Fords 3.5 for that matter but it beat numerous 4 cylinder automatic mid size cars I have raced including a new 2008 base Accord and Camry. It's also faster and has a better powerband compared to my 2002 Intrigue with the DOHC Shortstar V6 so i'm happy with it. I also like the way it sounds when you have your foot into the pedal and the way it eagerly revs to it's 6250 redline.

It's not as creamy smooth as the 3.6 DOHC but my 2007 Malibus 3500 is not growly and unrefined and my 4 speed automatic may be shy on gears but shifts better than most 6 speed automatics I have driven, including a 2008 Malibu LTZ and a Saturn Aura 3.6 XR. That and I constantly average 28-29 MPG in everyday 60/40 driving with it, a pipe dream with anything with the 3.6 Global engine. As for power, no it's not as fast as the 3.6 or Fords 3.5 for that matter but it beat numerous 4 cylinder automatic mid size cars I have raced including a new 2008 base Accord and Camry. It's also faster and has a better powerband compared to my 2002 Intrigue with the DOHC Shortstar V6 so i'm happy with it. I also like the way it sounds when you have your foot into the pedal and the way it eagerly revs to it's 6250 redline.

I'm glad you are happy with it......that's ultimately what matters.

However, in my experience, the 3500 has been a solid workhorse, but not much more. The 3.6L is a good engine, but certainly is not a good representative of economical DOHC V6 engines......competitors do much better. And you say it "revs eagerly to it's 6,250 redline" but I find it pretty slow-revving in comparison to other more modern V6s (3800 seems the same way to me.)

At cruise around town or on the highway, the engine is whisper-quiet......but hold your foot to the floor, and it sounds like it's coming backwards toward you through the firewall......

My impressions are based upon numerous Malibu rentals with the 3500, and Impala rentals with the 3900.

I'm glad you are happy with it......that's ultimately what matters.

However, in my experience, the 3500 has been a solid workhorse, but not much more. The 3.6L is a good engine, but certainly is not a good representative of economical DOHC V6 engines......competitors do much better. And you say it "revs eagerly to it's 6,250 redline" but I find it pretty slow-revving in comparison to other more modern V6s (3800 seems the same way to me.)

At cruise around town or on the highway, the engine is whisper-quiet......but hold your foot to the floor, and it sounds like it's coming backwards toward you through the firewall......

My impressions are based upon numerous Malibu rentals with the 3500, and Impala rentals with the 3900.

rev's eagerly....or not... how are those geared? the same?... my 3.1 shifts at 40mph and my parents' "new" 04 lesabre shifts towards 55mph...

just askin

Is there a site out there that publishes/asks owners for real world fuel economy numbers? The 3.6L scares me. I wouldn't want a v6 family sedan that can barely manage 22mpg combined. ~$2K for gas a year is enough considering I don't even put 20,000km on a year. It would be too much even if I made $200,000K a year.

Edited by frogger

the smoothed out styling, odd proportions, and just jello-y surfacing all add up to a G6 that looks like a relic of the '90's compared to today's fit-looking sedans. i wish they could do some minor work that would result in major changes, like the 9-3 but that car had a very good base to begin with and the substantial changes and new Saab face all work real well for that car.

G6 needs changes regardless. GM should not just neglect this car any money, but I guess they go by brand and not model and right now Pontiac is getting some kind of infusion. At the cost of a midsize car that used to be among the 10 best selling cars, at least under a previous iteration. Pontiac should not become GM fleet central. They should just develop a GM 'no-name' for that role. something dumbed down from a chevy, and then let the brands fleet out smaller numbers.

I thought that was what the Chevy Classic was for...

O.B.

I for one liked a lot about the last gen. Grand Am, if only in GT form.

The raspy 3.4 ram air, stiff chassis & unique interior (yes even the

dash hood that reminded of tits) was a nice change from the status

quo that was the late 90s... lets not forget when that car showed up

in showrooms in the fall of 1998 Chevrolet's Malibu was nothing but

a Camry-clone (even Chevy admitted that flat out) and the top of

the line Chevrolet, their flagship was the pathetic LUMINA.

rev's eagerly....or not... how are those geared? the same?... my 3.1 shifts at 40mph and my parents' "new" 04 lesabre shifts towards 55mph...

just askin

Hmmmm....it's not so much where it shifts, but more a factor of the engine's eagerness to rev. Say, for example, you hold it in first or second gear and floor it until it revs up to or close to the redline......how "eager" is it to get there?

It's like the difference between the engine feeling like it's a proverbial "boat anchor", heavy, struggling to pull the car's weight......versus something that feels quite a bit "lighter", seemingly faster-moving.......I'm talking about the feel and pull of the engine, not necessarily how fast the car is accelerating. Boatloads of torque will get you moving quickly.....but won't necessarily make an engine itself feel any more eager to "play."

Even modern diesels can fast-revving. Don't mistake this with the engine's actual redline. They maybe don't have a high redline, maybe 4,500-5,000 rpms, but the Alfa 1.9L TD I drove in Europe was quick, energetic, and willing feeling through it's (obviously narrow) powerband.

(Edit: I'm trying to describe this in layman's terms......as I am certainly no technical guru.....)

Edited by The O.C.

Hmmmm....it's not so much where it shifts, but more a factor of the engine's eagerness to rev. Say, for example, you hold it in first or second gear and floor it until it revs up to or close to the redline......how "eager" is it to get there?

It's like the difference between the engine feeling like it's a proverbial "boat anchor", heavy, struggling to pull the car's weight......versus something that feels quite a bit "lighter", seemingly faster-moving.......I'm talking about the feel and pull of the engine, not necessarily how fast the car is accelerating. Boatloads of torque will get you moving quickly.....but won't necessarily make an engine itself feel any more eager to "play."

Even modern diesels can fast-revving. Don't mistake this with the engine's actual redline. They maybe don't have a high redline, maybe 4,500-5,000 rpms, but the Alfa 1.9L TD I drove in Europe was quick, energetic, and willing feeling through it's (obviously narrow) powerband.

(Edit: I'm trying to describe this in layman's terms......as I am certainly no technical guru.....)

so maybe a better way to test "revy-ness" would be in neutral... other wise it is it's power to weight ratio, divided by the gearing ratio, or something like that...? ... because i think the CIB v6's all have the 4-speed detriment (other than Theta)... as in, would it feel significantly different if it had a 6 speed or at least a final ratio of >3.50 , cause the 3.8s seem to have a low 3 or mid-high 2 ratio. just as a test of this idea, hypothetically put a 3.5 in a Kappa with a 5 speed. would it still be the engine, or would it be the vehicle the engine is in?

Is there a site out there that publishes/asks owners for real world fuel economy numbers? The 3.6L scares me. I wouldn't want a v6 family sedan that can barely manage 22mpg combined. ~$2K for gas a year is enough considering I don't even put 20,000km on a year. It would be too much even if I made $200,000K a year.

I think the epa's site has "real data" from supposed owners, or renters.... not sure exactly the address though.

O.B.

I for one liked a lot about the last gen. Grand Am, if only in GT form.

The raspy 3.4 ram air, stiff chassis & unique interior (yes even the

dash hood that reminded of tits) was a nice change from the status

quo that was the late 90s... lets not forget when that car showed up

in showrooms in the fall of 1998 Chevrolet's Malibu was nothing but

a Camry-clone (even Chevy admitted that flat out) and the top of

the line Chevrolet, their flagship was the pathetic LUMINA.

Hmm...this must be a post from someone posing as Sixty8... he 'liked' a FWD, unibody car w/ a b-pillar made after 1980? Unthinkable!!! :)

I thought that was what the Chevy Classic was for...

in essence that is the idea, but I would develop something off current mechanicals and design rather than force a five year old generic car. it could be the 'general' car, that would be built off the same platform as the others, offer the same mechanicals, only lacking badging and a particular design. thereby allowing GM to cater to fleets, and still offer the other brands to fleets only at significantly reduced numbers. platforms amortized quicker, resales grow, GM mechanicals still get the spotlight, rental buyer treated to up-to-date car, everybody wins.

on another point, intrigue's idea of making the G6 all 4 cylinders and turbos is exactly the right kind of thinking for Pontiac. light, extreme, great road/autocross cars, catering to performance, with a rebelious and extrovert design. that would be my Pontiac.

in essence that is the idea, but I would develop something off current mechanicals and design rather than force a five year old generic car. it could be the 'general' car, that would be built off the same platform as the others, offer the same mechanicals, only lacking badging and a particular design. thereby allowing GM to cater to fleets, and still offer the other brands to fleets only at significantly reduced numbers. platforms amortized quicker, resales grow, GM mechanicals still get the spotlight, rental buyer treated to up-to-date car, everybody wins.

on another point, intrigue's idea of making the G6 all 4 cylinders and turbos is exactly the right kind of thinking for Pontiac. light, extreme, great road/autocross cars, catering to performance, with a rebelious and extrovert design. that would be my Pontiac.

I can't see how that would scale. Additional variations of parts means more cost.

While on the retail numbers it might help, but costs would certainly go way up. Although I do agree that the G6 (or any car as a matter of fact) shouldn't be the rental whore.