Followers 0
Blake Noble

Illustrated: 2010 Saab 9-5 Sedan

48 posts in this topic

Illustrated: 2010 Saab 9-5 Sedan
New 9-5 is coming soon.
saab_93_14_05_07.jpg
Link to original Article @ Left Lane News

Some time next year, Swedish automaker Saab will begin production of a redesigned 9-5 Sedan. For the 2010 model year, the all-new 9-5 will take on an Aero-X-inspired look, while building on the existing model's somewhat angular roofline.

Saab general manager Steve Shannon recently told dealers the company would reveal the new 9-5 later this year at a major auto show, according to trade publication Automotive News. Saab enthusiast website Trollhattan Saab has speculated the most likely venue is the 2008 Paris Motor Show in October.

Also according to the website, the new model will have larger engines, increased overall dimensions, and will be a "true flagship" for the automaker. Some reports indicate the range-topping model will have up to 350 horsepower.

The new 9-5 will ride on a modified version of GM’s Epsilon II platform, which also underpins the new Saturn Aura. Expect it to have firmer suspension, improved steering, and better electronics.

Looks way better than that botched abortion of a raccoon looking thing they're selling these dys!

as it goes with PR and 'buzz'-generating, this could very well be an official preview cloaked under disguise as a skewed 'magazine-preview'. it's a little disappointing. I was hoping for the coupe-profile hatch that was being speculated. I think that would serve a much better distinguisher for Saab's core values. safety, functionality, distinctive designs/profiles

just taking it for what it is, there's some saab-ness that is hard not to love, the blacked-out A-pillar with that wonderful old-time slope, the upright roofline, traditional hockey stick c-pillar, and the pushed-in edges at the bottom. so i mean, it's good looking and all, but I think they would have made a wiser investment in making something more distinctive in shape.

Edited by turbo200

Looks pretty cool.

up to 350 hp..... hmmm, turbo'ed 2.8 or a highpo 3.6?

Well, I would imagine it would have a turbo, being a Saab. Probably turbo 3.6; I don't know if they can get 350HP out of the 2.8 and make it suitable for a daily driver at the same time.

Saab gets the SWB & LWB EPII. I'm beginning to wonder if Buick will do the same in the US. It'll be interesting to compare the Invicta and 9-5.

Saab gets the SWB & LWB EPII. I'm beginning to wonder if Buick will do the same in the US. It'll be interesting to compare the Invicta and 9-5.

They'll have totally different flavours.

There was this old rumour on www.automotorsport.se (in Swedish, sorry) about the NG 9-3 being put on DeltaII, meaning the 9-3 range would have both hatches and a sedan/wagon. However, with this report that the NG 9-5 will be bigger than the current model I think that the lineup might very well be DeltaII 9-1, SWB EpII 9-3, TE 9-4X and LWB EpII 9-5.

EDIT:

New Insignia = 4.82m in length and current Astra sedan = 4.61m in length. I am now starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better for Saab (if technically/ and financially feasible) to have the NG 9-5 on the same EpII wheelbase as the Insignia at around 4.85m in length and a full 9-3 range (3-door/5-door hatches and a sedan/wagon) based on DeltaII with the sedan/wagon at around 4.6m/4.65m in length. I'd say let Buick have a 5m-long LWB EpII and let the Euro brands' cars be smaller.

Edited by ZL-1

Wow. A $40K+ EpII is what we've waiting 10+ years for?

Just sell it to the Chinese already.

Another 1 step forward, 2 back for the General. Just when the 'bu and CTS give me hope, they dish out some 'premium' rehashes of $20K products--just like the BRX & 9-4X will be.

They make it so hard to be a fan.

Yeah, GM sucks. I mean, how could any manufacturer do something so cheezy as share platforms between entry level and luxury brands? They'll never get it.

Oh, wait:

2006_Honda_AccordSedan_ext_1.jpg

acura.tl.concept.f34.500.jpg

nissan_350z.jpg

infiniti_m45_1.jpg

toyota-camry-20076.jpg

07_Lexus_ES350_24.jpg

2008fordtaurusandfordtaurusx.fordtaurus3

600-Lincoln-MKS.jpg

06dodge-charger-rt.jpg

2005-chrysler-300c-srt-8-fa-1920x1440_0w

I believe that Passat and that A4 do not share their platform.

Yeah, the previous generation Passat (1998-2005) did share a platform with the A4 from two generations ago (1996-2001). That's where VW got their longitudinal engine setup, 30V engine, and five-link front suspension. From 2002 onwards, the A4 has used an Audi-exclusive platform. The current Passat has a transverse/front strut layout and an iron-block DI VR6 as opposed to the A4's alloy DI V6 and more advanced front suspension.

I believe that Passat and that A4 do not share their platform.

My mistake. The A4 was on the PL46, a modified version of the Passat's PQ46 up until 2007.

My mistake. The A4 was on the PL46, a modified version of the Passat's PQ46 up until 2007.

PL46 (2002 A4+) and PQ46 (2006+ Passat) don't share anything in common. Different drivetrain layouts, different suspension...

Don't worry, I'm just on a nitpicking mood today. :AH-HA_wink:

And your point was brilliantly illustrated. I think users who don't have broadband will hunt you down, though :lol:

Edited by ZL-1

Don't worry, I'm just on a nitpicking mood today. :AH-HA_wink:

And your point was brilliantly illustrated. I think users who don't have broadband will hunt you down, though :lol:

let them try to catch me as I race through the interwebs!

let them try to catch me as I race through the interwebs!

Interwebs? Were those also invented by Al Gore? :P

PL46 (2002 A4+) and PQ46 (2006+ Passat) don't share anything in common. Different drivetrain layouts, different suspension...

arg..... ok, I got that one wrong too... VW platform names are confusing!

but the Passat and A4 shared a platform at one point! And THAT is my point.

Wow. A $40K+ EpII is what we've waiting 10+ years for?

Just sell it to the Chinese already.

Another 1 step forward, 2 back for the General. Just when the 'bu and CTS give me hope, they dish out some 'premium' rehashes of $20K products--just like the BRX & 9-4X will be.

They make it so hard to be a fan.

The near luxury market is still one of the hottest markets in the US industry. As for the "rehash" comment, you have no basis for it when you have yet to see production versions of the BRX, 9-4x, Invicta, 9-3, or 9-5. You're too eager to be disappointed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0