Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris_Doane

Spied: 2010 CTS Wagon

38 posts in this topic

Awesome!

Thanks, Chris D. for posting this.

Chris

Great! I just hope that America's dislike of the wagon won't hurt this beauty's sales!

My side of the Pond likes wagons, so if you guys don't want them, just send them over here :smilewide:

The wagon, the coupe, but especially the 2.9L diesel V6 are what Cadillac needs to take a larger step in establishing itself here. I'd love to see a smaller diesel engine, such as the TTid 1.9L diesel I4 to go after the 520d.

EDIT - Even in camo it looks like the LeftlaneNews rendering is pretty close to what the real thing will look like.

Edited by ZL-1

I was gonna say "whoa, another coup for Chris Doane", but it's not a coup, it's a station wagon.:smilewide:

Good job, sir.

This wagon is a natural complement to the sedan and coupe, and if anything, I like the styling even more. The center of interest has been pushed back, giving it a more cab-rearward "slingshot" appearance. The new visual weight above the rear wheels takes attention away from the busy front end, and this starker contrast helps to emphasize the hood's length. Also, the taller, more vertical liftgate and D-pillars go well with the CTS's tall, blunt front end. I like the wheels, too, which look larger than they are.

Headroom appears better than the sedan's, though this wagon doesn't address the other complaint I have with the CTS sedan's rear seat: poor outward visibility and difficult ingress/egress. With a more vertical C-pillar specific to this bodystyle, like you would find on a BMW, Audi, or Mercedes wagon, passengers won't have to lean forward just to peer out, or duck their heads to climb in. I suppose Cadillac wanted to reuse the rear doors and windows.

Edited by empowah

Great shots. Look forward to seeing a production model.

That has to be the fattest D-Pillar in the history of civilization!

I like it from the rear doors forward...

That has to be the fattest D-Pillar in the history of civilization!

Naw, I think that award is still held by the new Scion xB:

2008scionxbsideviewpk7.jpg

It's unfortunate the rear doors come straight from the sedan rather than having a more vertical C-pillar. The idea of a CTS wagon is fantastic as people move on from gargantuan SUVs, but the execution could be much better.

I personally hate tails that reach the roof ala CR-V and Volvo. Just give me a lower stanced Provoq rear end look and I'd be happy.

And now you know why there is no G8 Sportwagon. :smilewide:

I don't see how they would really compete with each other. G8 is quite a bit bigger (at least sedan vs. sedan), and significantly cheaper. Comparably equipped the CTS is probably $10k more.

I don't see how they would really compete with each other. G8 is quite a bit bigger (at least sedan vs. sedan), and significantly cheaper. Comparably equipped the CTS is probably $10k more.

I think that's the point.

Why go for the CTS when a larger RWD wagon can be had for $10k less?

I think that's the point.

Why go for the CTS when a larger RWD wagon can be had for $10k less?

Bingo..Cadillac probably influenced the decision...they wouldn't want competition from a larger, cheaper V8 Pontiac...this way they get exclusivity on GM RWD sport wagons.

Gold star for you two!

that's all well and good. BUT you have a case of design not being inherently desirable enough to and quality not being substantially different that is really the inherent problem. CTS is good, but the interior quality isn't totally up to the par of even Infiniti, compare it to Audi and you have a knockout in favor of Germans. exterior design is another place that historically would favor the caddy, I don't know what this wagon will end up looking like, but it's GM's own fault for dumbing down thier cadiilac design philosophy. caddy should always be rich and distinctive; while overall I want to like the CTS, and i do, there are some points of it I find hard to digest. such as the big level of empty space on the sides that are flat and boring for the most part, as well as an overall geriatric look when viewed from side angles where the wheels are conspiring with the dull flat sides to make it seem too demure.

with audi, you have lower level vw passat and jetta wagons, conveniently being offered with diesels soon that could be called competitors to audi, well only the A4 if we're talking exclusively features like engine size. so the A4 is bought, and in droves here in los angeles, i mean literally, and that's because it is a super classy classic wagon that has so much style going for it. everytime i see one i convince myself more and more that i want it. it's a great design.

and gm's own ladder should reflect this. pontiac is offering a real conservative elegant approach, and well what do you know so does Cadillac. the Cadillac wagon may be more stand out thanks to more adventurous and liberal design cues than the sedan, but cadillacs should offer an incredible style that is unparalleled within GM, and every division should benefit as a result, since they can reach higher as Cadillac gets better and better.

Edited by turbo200

Man, gotta disagree with you on the CTS interior. I think it is class-leading, and then some. You know how hard to please I am with interiors, too...

Man, gotta disagree with you on the CTS interior. I think it is class-leading, and then some. You know how hard to please I am with interiors, too...

design-wise i think it's pretty good. but the quality just isn't there, i mean the center stack is painted plastic, and feels it. the controls on the center stack are all pretty flimsy and unsubstantial feeling, it's nothing like the good feelings I got when I sat in my darling, the Audi A3. As I said, even an Infiniti G35 had appreciably better materials and more artful trim selections, like a real wood that was tasteful and nicely toned.

the whole quality thing is just another part of the luxury car that has to add to the feeling you're really getting what you paid for. combined with a 3.6 DI that may not be up to par with the levels of smoothness of other similarly expensive cars, along with steering that may not offer the right amount of feedback or transiate conditions in a genuine fashion as opposed to artificially, combined with handling prowess that may not match the standards set by similar sized car albeit more expensive, like the 5-series, and you get an expensive luxury car that doesn't seem to offer the same level of experience the others set.

mostly though if the quality were improved, still a bunch of work needs to be done, that rear center armrest is garbage and belongs in a Chevrolet not a Cadillac, the front cupholder design lacks any sophistication and good taste, again belongs in a Cobalt not a cadillac.......if all of these things were perfect, you'd hear me crowing more about the CTS and my argument above wouldn't stand.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0