Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
6t5frlane

08 STS

52 posts in this topic

So my buddy pulls into my driveway yesterday with a new V8 STS. Looks like a bluish/grey color. Car was pretty stunning to look at. I get in...BAM. Man what a bland interior. On top of that, is there almost no rear leg room???. So this is what 55K gets ya? Overall not bad but average at best on the inside. I did not take a drive but I'm sure there is plenty of power and he said handling was pretty good. lWhats next for this model

You were expecting George Lucas?

Interiors need to be functional and handsome.

That's always been the knock on the current STS (original and facelifted). It's not bad IMO, but I dunno why they didn't update the interior for this year.

When people comment on the STS' interior, it's ...'plasticky'...'boring' and 'bland'...

But when people jump into a Bimmer's interior it's ... 'Teutonic' and 'driver-oriented' ...

I just don't see it, they're both conservative and subtle:

How is this

2008-bmw-5-series-interior.jpg

Driver oriented and Teutonic?

While this

orig_08STSInt_1.jpg

isn't?

The both are horizontally oriented and flat with no canting towards the driver. The 1st gen CTS and both generations of Aurora have more driver oriented interiors than either of these vehicles. The center stack of the 5-er looks really jumbled to me. The center stack's buttons on the STS look a bit small in their packaging.

btw, Teutonic means Germanic... so BMW forwarding "teutonic" as a desirable trait is a bit like Listerine inventing "chronic halitosis".

By definition, this counts as "Teutonic" also:

0501vwt_02z%201952_Volkswagen_Beetle%20I

arg... I'll fix the picture links later when I'm not hindered by the webnazi at work.

I just don't see it, they're both conservative and subtle:

How is this

2008-bmw-5-series-interior.jpg

Driver oriented and Teutonic?

While this

orig_08STSInt_1.jpg

isn't?

The both are horizontally oriented and flat with no canting towards the driver. The 1st gen CTS and both generations of Aurora have more driver oriented interiors than either of these vehicles. The center stack of the 5-er looks really jumbled to me. The center stack's buttons on the STS look a bit small in their packaging.

btw, Teutonic means Germanic... so BMW forwarding "teutonic" as a desirable trait is a bit like Listerine inventing "chronic halitosis".

By definition, this counts as "Teutonic" also:

0501vwt_02z%201952_Volkswagen_Beetle%20I

Is there any reason to select the STS over the CTS in the same showroom?

That's what kills the STS, not comparisons to BMW interiors (which have been cheapened & aren't the reason to buy a BMW in the first place.)

The STS rear seat is tiny compared to the 5er's, especially when you consider exterior dimensions. It might be the bulky sunroof and front seat tracks.

Is there any reason to select the STS over the CTS in the same showroom?

That's what kills the STS, not comparisons to BMW interiors (which have been cheapened & aren't the reason to buy a BMW in the first place.)

DOHC V8 <for those who can't handle the thought of pushrods>

More conservative styling both inside and out.

The STS does feel slightly bigger inside. The new CTS feels smaller inside than the first model.

not saying I would decide in that direction... just listing possible reasons.

DOHC V8 <for those who can't handle the thought of pushrods>

More conservative styling both inside and out.

The STS does feel slightly bigger inside. The new CTS feels smaller inside than the first model.

not saying I would decide in that direction... just listing possible reasons.

Problem is those aren't nearly good enough. The strongest argument, the V8, is a weak one too, not only because of gas prices but reviews of the car mention that the 3.6 is so good, the V8 isn't necessary. The CTS is just a better car in pretty much every way.

I prefer the exterior of the updated STS to the CTS. The CTS exterior styling is great in the evenings or for special occasions, but is somewhat overwrought for repetitive boring domesticated tasks.

Interior-wise, the CTS is more exciting to look at and is definitely the preferred choice.

Being truthful (and open for bashing), if they were priced the same, I'd go for the STS. But I certainly wouldn't pay more for the STS. The STS just doesn't offer anything over the CTS. Unfortunately, as stated above, I couldn't live with the CTS exterior styling on a daily basis. It's just not my personality.

The Buick Invicta or Alpha-based Buick will probably have the interior creature comforts I expect but come wrapped in a more livable and subdued exterior.

My personal feelings are one of the reasons I don't find a problem with Buick and Cadillac both existing in the premium/luxury markets. I can see distinct character differences between the brands and don't consider one over the other. I, however, wouldn't want either brand to compromise itself trying to cover both ends of the market spectrum.

When people comment on the STS' interior, it's ...'plasticky'...'boring' and 'bland'...

But when people jump into a Bimmer's interior it's ... 'Teutonic' and 'driver-oriented' ...

The materials and craftsmanship inside any BMW are far superior to the STS.......and as far as "driver-oriented"....it's the seats, a smaller steering wheel, clear, readable gauges that offer absolutely no flash at all, etc.

BMW interiors seem like "cockpits." Most Caddy interiors (CTS excepted now finally) still seem like barcalounger living rooms.

I'd say the STS is not bad, per se, but not up to the level of it's competition at the price point it plays in. Also, too much "retro" GM in the controls, fittings, plastics.....(as opposed to, say, CTS.)

I prefer the exterior of the updated STS to the CTS. The CTS exterior styling is great in the evenings or for special occasions, but is somewhat overwrought for repetitive boring domesticated tasks.

Interior-wise, the CTS is more exciting to look at and is definitely the preferred choice.

Being truthful (and open for bashing), if they were priced the same, I'd go for the STS. But I certainly wouldn't pay more for the STS. The STS just doesn't offer anything over the CTS. Unfortunately, as stated above, I couldn't live with the CTS exterior styling on a daily basis. It's just not my personality.

The Buick Invicta or Alpha-based Buick will probably have the interior creature comforts I expect but come wrapped in a more livable and subdued exterior.

My personal feelings are one of the reasons I don't find a problem with Buick and Cadillac both existing in the premium/luxury markets. I can see distinct character differences between the brands and don't consider one over the other. I, however, wouldn't want either brand to compromise itself trying to cover both ends of the market spectrum.

For the record, we get more traffic and attention on the DTS than we do the STS. STS just seems like a bastard step-child that sits on the lot and rots.

Sad when you consider the second-gen "STS" was Cadillac's first step into the mainstream to battle the high-end imports. And there for awhile, it was pretty good at it....FWD and all.....

People that like the CTS are bored by the STS, and see it as resolutely old-school GM....where as the CTS is gunning for BMW and Benz.

DTS pulls in the old fogeys.....who wouldn't look at a CTS or STS.

(However, that being said, we'd be much more successful with a modern, RWD, full-size STS/DTS replacement that could stand toe-to-toe with the larger and more expensive imports.)

I've got NO problem with the STS' interior. I like it actually.

Anything that's modern and NOT trimmed in stainless steel

with gorgeous metallic thread & loads of brightwork is a

disappointing interior to me after my '64 Super88.

That having been said I'd rather have a ultra-low-milage

1996 Fleetwood Brougham, cherry/tan, or a beat up & worn

1961 Sedan DeVille with lifter noise than a brand new STS,

price being no object.

Although the '61 would set me back a meere $3000 - $8000

and the 96 FB a paltry $20,000.

ive seen a few 08 sts on the road lately and the front end changes really add presence to the car. the DI v6 makes for a hot rod. Problem is, same old dumpy interior. Where is the chinese STS interior? one example of GM's piss poor decision making.

I'd enjoy an sts as my car but would be longing for something with a nicer interior.

Edited by regfootball

For the record, we get more traffic and attention on the DTS than we do the STS. STS just seems like a bastard step-child that sits on the lot and rots.

Sad when you consider the second-gen "STS" was Cadillac's first step into the mainstream to battle the high-end imports. And there for awhile, it was pretty good at it....FWD and all.....

People that like the CTS are bored by the STS, and see it as resolutely old-school GM....where as the CTS is gunning for BMW and Benz.

DTS pulls in the old fogeys.....who wouldn't look at a CTS or STS.

(However, that being said, we'd be much more successful with a modern, RWD, full-size STS/DTS replacement that could stand toe-to-toe with the larger and more expensive imports.)

Well, everyone was comparing the CTS and STS... so I limited myself to those in my comment.

We've had this conversation before... The DTS Platinum is the only DTS I would consider... it's beautiful, but it's also not worth the price. If I went with the STS, it would be the Platinum as well, which seems to take care of the interior "dullness" for the most part. Unfortunately, I agree with everyone that there are far better vehicles in the $45k-$70k price range than the STS... in V6 & V8 form.

I've always liked the G-platform-based STS. As I've mentioned in another topic - after looking at the 2003 STS resale value compared to my Park Avenue, I'm very thankful I didn't go with the STS back in 2003.

I also agree with your last statement... a proper full-size RWD/AWD sedan to replace the STS & DTS is exactly what Cadillac needs above CTS.

I haven't really been paying attention, does the Chinese STS still have a nicer (looking at least) interior?

ive seen a few 08 sts on the raod lately and the front end changes really add presence to the car. the DI v6 makes for a hot rod. Problem is, same old dumpy interior. Where is the chinese STS interior? one example of GM's piss poor decision making.

I'd enjoy an sts as my car but would be longing for something with a nicer interior.

Completely agree... I pass a refreshed 'Blue Chip' STS during the commute home every day. We're always going opposite of each other. It looks great. I'd go STS4 3.6l in Black Cherry with black leather myself.

I see a truely surprising quantity of STSs around by me- what is their annual production number vs. the CTS?

Really sad to see the STS dragging itself, since the CTS shows Cadillac can do much better.

The materials and craftsmanship inside any BMW are far superior to the STS.......and as far as "driver-oriented"....it's the seats, a smaller steering wheel, clear, readable gauges that offer absolutely no flash at all, etc.

BMW interiors seem like "cockpits." Most Caddy interiors (CTS excepted now finally) still seem like barcalounger living rooms.

I'd say the STS is not bad, per se, but not up to the level of it's competition at the price point it plays in. Also, too much "retro" GM in the controls, fittings, plastics.....(as opposed to, say, CTS.)

It's no wonder GM is struggling when they have salesmen like you.....

It's no wonder GM is struggling when they have salesmen like you.....

Or perhaps he's just reflecting the reality of the marketplace?

The STS is currently in limbo, as we all know a STS/DTS replacement is needed yesterday. The fact that the Chinese STS interior is available, fully developed & flat out looks better is kinda embarassing, no?

I hope that a 16 influenced replacement can bring Caddy into competition with the other Lux-brands in this sector.

Or perhaps he's just reflecting the reality of the marketplace?

The STS is currently in limbo, as we all know a STS/DTS replacement is needed yesterday. The fact that the Chinese STS interior is available, fully developed & flat out looks better is kinda embarassing, no?

I hope that a 16 influenced replacement can bring Caddy into competition with the other Lux-brands in this sector.

A Cadillac salesman who talks his customers into BMWs?

I've sat in both the CTS and STS ('08 models) though I've not driven either. At just over 6' tall, while I fit comfortably in both, I find that the STS just feels more roomy.

Since the back seat is mainly for my lunch and bag for the trip to work, I've not looked at back seat space. Besides, no modern Caddy (except maybe the DTS-L) has anywhere near the rear seat room of my '95 Fleetwood. ;)

I actually like the interior of both even though I will certainly agree that the CTS looks and feels much more refined. As for the exterior I like the STS better simply because it looks like a bigger car and it's more sedate looking. Again, still small compared to my Fleetwood. :) I'd actually take the DTS over either (again, bigger car) but I'm not interested in FWD.

I will say though that the STS interior without the NAV just looks plain cheap! I'm not one to care about NAV but wouldn't buy one without it since the center stack just looks like it's missing something without it. Interestingly, the CTS I sat in was a "base" model and didn't have the pop up NAV. I found it actually looked fine without it.

Just my .02 of course, your mileage may vary....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0