caddycruiser

Long story TBD...but have a 'Bu drivetrain/model poll

If buying a new Malibu, which model/drivetrain would you prefer (and why)?   27 members have voted

1. 1. Which model/drivetrain?

• 2LT V6
    • LTZ 4-cyl

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 posts in this topic

Eventually, I have quite a story to tell, but in the meantime...I have an opinion question for you guys. A lot of you may put 2 and 2 together, from the question and choices :scratchchin: , but I digress.

If you were buying a new '09 Malibu right now, and had already picked colors (White/Cashmere...don't need help there, so don't bother), but were between 2 models, which would you prefer and why? If it makes any difference, say if you were coming from a current Epsilon 3.5L/4-speed car and enjoy the combo of power & economy it has, and could take more of either, and have narrowed your choice to the following 2 cars.

#1: 2009 Malibu 2LT with V6 package, premium mats, power package (rear shade & 110-volt plug), sunroof as below:

Image00006.jpg

Image00002.jpg

87.jpg

#2: 2009 Malibu LTZ 4-cyl with sunroof as below:

Image00021.jpg

Image00041.jpg

23.jpg

Here has been my take, so far:

2LT V6 - Clean, cool, SS-like look. 2LT V6 "rarer" than most, not that most would notice the difference between every other Malibu now, but I would. Great 3.6L power, sound, and I think economy given my driving; very quiet, smooth, and effortless, then a beast when you drop the hammer. Firmer steering, which I'm used to and enjoy. Suede is closer to my cloth and I like the feel, generally, just not as hot on the vinyl bolsters and solid color.

LTZ 4-cyl - LOVE the look, from the extra chrome to the wheels. 2.4L is spunky the first bit off the line and nice once up to speed, but often can seem dead in between and at other times. From experience, generally strong economy once cruising. Steering is lighter, but still nice. LOVE the look and feel of the 2-tone leather, except for that leather-->back "sweat" when it's hot (last car).

Pick your choice and then "do tell" :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

Poll attached now...sorry.

Edited by caddycruiser

Personally, I like #2 better for the wheels, sunroof, and 2 tone seats. And with the 4cyl, you will get better mileage.

Edited by moltar

I think the LTZ looks better on the outside, and I like the color scheme of its interior more than the one in the 2LT. But I'd really rather have the V6.

Would an LTZ V6 be out of any question?

I think the LTZ looks better on the outside, and I like the color scheme of its interior more than the one in the 2LT. But I'd really rather have the V6.

Would an LTZ V6 be out of any question?

Good question, and yes. A bit out of the "range" being stuck to.

LTZ 4cyl all the way.

22/33MPG really can't be argued with. From what I hear the 2.4 is no slouch in the Malibu, either.

I'd pull for the 2.4 LTZ. The car is really classy, and the 2.4 will be great on gas.

Well, we're neck in neck after about 15 minutes...with the LTZ leading.

So, any of the 2LT V6 voters care to expound on their selection?

I'd take the LT6 *but* the seats don't match the two tone of the rest of the interior which is pretty hideous IMO (LTZ seats are nicer) but if that doesn't bother you/you like it that way, then get the V6 because (as I see it) powertrain is really important... I just don't like the idear of a sub 200HP engine in a car that size.

I voted V6, but it's difficult to make a decision without driving the specific cars. My prior experience with other GM vehicles with the 3.6 liter V6, ecotec, and electric steering would lean me towards the V6 model, and the cloth seats instead of leather would seal the deal. The LTZ does look a little bit better, but I value the driving experience more than looks.

I'd take the LT6 *but* the seats don't match the two tone of the rest of the interior which is pretty hideous IMO (LTZ seats are nicer) but if that doesn't bother you/you like it that way, then get the V6 because (as I see it) powertrain is really important... I just don't like the idear of a sub 200HP engine in a car that size.

Yep, I get that. The 2LT seats are the same shade as the one half of most of the interior, and in person I liked it. It's a bit loud, in the Cocoa-Cashmere with almost a gold/orangey hue, but I wanted something that wasn't black or gray, and it lives up the white outside.

The LTZ in the same coloring is VERY nice and I love the Cocoa trimmed seats, but, you know. And then this thread...

The powertrain and model has been making me go crazy this past week, on top of just color. Hah, all the thinking, and then I settle on Amana white;)

Edited by caddycruiser

LTZ is my vote. There isn't much difference in equipment.

I used to have a CTS with the 3.6 and it's a great engine, but with today's gas prices I no longer find it justifiable. If this car will primarily be used for commuting just get the 4-cylinder. If you're looking for something to throw around... well... you're looking at the wrong car anyway.

I just priced out a fairly base 9-3, new... and they can be had with the Turbo-4 and 5-speed for 24 and change with a sunroof. Far more tossible. If you really want the V6, well get yourself something that has the moves to go with the muscle and find yourself a CPO CTS.

Hmmm, I know what happened, but I don't kiss and tell. It's your story to tell caddycruiser. Oh by the way, if you get white, I don't want to hear you complain when DELDOT runs over your A$$ when it snows. :smilewide:

I personally would go for the LT2 V-6, for first and primemost reason the V-6, and I like how the suede hugs you while you push the car around. I do not like the extra chrome on the LTZ, although I gotta give the spectacular grille of the LTZ compared to LT2, a subtle rim on the perimeter makes a lot of difference.

On a side note is there any chance the DI V-6 will see a light under Malibu hood?

Hmmm, I know what happened, but I don't kiss and tell. It's your story to tell caddycruiser. Oh by the way, if you get white, I don't want to hear you complain when DELDOT runs over your A$$ when it snows. :smilewide:

Hah! True...

Well, at the beginning of last week it was black, only for me to shop every day and end up...back at white. Years of only white cars in the driveway and me crabbing about them, only to know be a fan myself. Oh well. Clean, crisp, bright works for me.

If given a choice between the two - LTZ 4-cyl.

On a side note is there any chance the DI V-6 will see a light under Malibu hood?

or the upcoming 2.3L DI for that matter.

i'd agree with olds. if it's an everyday car, the 4cyl. if you want the power that's fine, but you may soon wish you got something else.

note: i've not driven any gm newer than an 03 buick if i'm thinking correctly.

note: i've not driven any gm newer than an 03 buick if i'm thinking correctly.

REALLY? Wow, you need to take some test drives :AH-HA_wink:

Great comments and votes guys. I'm still leaning one way and I told my salesperson on Saturday afternoon to try and trade for "that one", which she's supposed to do first thing tomorrow morning. Hope it works out, but if it doesn't, I'll just go to the other. Odd, again, but I think I liked both equally in their own ways.

The comments certainly help...and I can't wait to see how the voting eventually turns out 8) Oh, yeah, and that story...ugh...

I'd say the four-cylinder LTZ makes the most sense for obvious reasons already stated.

Was your G6 a lemon or something?

Was your G6 a lemon or something?

Oh, SLIGHTLY...enough for it to go back to it's maker, following repeated apologies as well. I'll talk about that in depth soon.

The LTZ seems to be winning most...not a shock, I guess.

OK mister, what's going on with your G6? I chose LTZ, btw.

Go with the LTZ... Sorry to hear about the G6! Could you do a V6 G8?

Funny you mention that. A base G8 V6 was what I was thinking for a while there when I knew we were getting close to a decision, and I took one out Thursday. Really liked it and it had a LOT of room, comfortable cloth seats, felt like a tank, and of course the RWD factor, but at the same time I just wasn't "sure". Compared to a 3.6L Epsilon, it felt more sluggish--of course, due to the RWD and weight--and the interior was solid and "cool" but drab in comparison to what I had been looking at. Still, an awesome car, and I almost signed the dotted line for a white one last week;)

LTZ vs. 2LT...11 vs 6

This has been a great poll, guys, on the different forums I have it on. I even learned a few more details about the cars, from the posts, to think about.

No word from my dealer on anything yet, but I'll have to check in soon.

WELL, the ruling is in!

I hadn't heard from my salesperson yet so I stopped in at lunch and she told me she had arranged to get the 2LT V6 "your #1", tomorrow. Of everything, they're trading a base '09 HHR for it, which after being at the other dealer, I could see as they seemed short of HHR's.

This is good, because driving my G6 more out and around today, I really do love the V6 grunt and firmer steering and, the more I thought about it, the comfort of the Ultralux vs. the gorgeous but hot/cold prone LTZ leather.

I still think the LTZ is gorgeous but also, again, looking at more of them today on the lot, the extra chrome and wheels are a little much in comparison to my typical trend towards the cleaner "touring" style with less decor--such as on my current molding, chrome, and excess trim free G6.

Now it's just the waiting. The car isn't far away and I already test drove it at the other dealer, it's just getting all the paperwork through GM for the repurchase in hand and submitted properly. My salesperson has basic information, but nothing detailed yet--hopefully very soon, so we can do delivery and turn-in ASAP.

Image00003.jpg

Bye-bye pretty but troubled G6...hello 'Bu!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor