Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buickguy

U.S. Getting the Buick Regal

242 posts in this topic

So by the time the new Aura gets to us, now badged as a Buick and another nail in the coffin for Saturn, it will be a 3+ year old design.

Sorry, I can't get excited for a sedan that is slated for 4th quarter 2011 that I already know what it looks like.

If the Aura and G6 are left to languish for 3 years as is and the Malibu stays status quo, then much like the Cruze, GM needs this vehicle now, not 2012.

Good News: U.S. will be getting the Insignia based Buick Regal!

Bad News: Production will not start until October 2011?!

Edited by cire

So by the time the new Aura gets to us, now badged as a Buick and another nail in the coffin for Saturn, it will be a 3+ year old design.

Sorry, I can't get excited for a sedan that is slated for 4th quarter 2011 that I already know what it looks like.

Even if it is '3+ years' old it will be infinitely better than the all-old cars Buick has now (w/ pushrod V6s, 4spd automatics). Sounds like the Regal will replace the current LaCrosse as the 'smaller' sedan and the '10 LaCrosse will replace the Lucerne as the flagship.

why does it take so long?

No idea..financial constraints, probably. Anyone know when is the Insignia-based Regal going into production in China? 2009?

Edited by moltar

So...

What will this essentially replace?

The Aura? The G6?

And WHY-O-WHY is it positioned against the Camry and Accord? Isn't that Chevrolet's job?

Even if it is '3+ years' old it will be infinitely better than the all-old cars Buick has now (w/ pushrod V6s, 4spd automatics). Sounds like the Regal will replace the current LaCrosse as the 'smaller' sedan and the '10 LaCrosse will replace the Lucerne as the flagship.

But will it be better than the competition?

It'll be another "good enough" Aura/Astra style vehicle, I guess.

So...

What will this essentially replace?

The Aura? The G6?

And WHY-O-WHY is it positioned against the Camry and Accord? Isn't that Chevrolet's job?

One could argue it's positioned against the Malibu, since the BPG dealers are competing against Chevy more than other automakers..

One could argue it's positioned against the Malibu, since the BPG dealers are competing against Chevy more than other automakers..

EXACTLY!

If it has more luxury appointments and style, I'd say it's positioned against the S40 and TSX.

Or Milan and MKZ.

:( And you can hear the Auto Rag sheets now, Get a updated Grandpa Mobile in the New Buick Regal.

I know there are those that love Buick just like I love my cadillac Escalade, but that name really does bring back Seniors driving non inspiring auto's. I do not see it really getting younger famlies excited.

Does anyone have a photo of what this auto looks like? Guess will go and google it to see what it currently looks like in China.

Pick up the Jan edition of Car & Driver. There is a prominent article in there about the New Insignia coming to NA. They don't even mention the Chinese Regal existing, stating this would be the first spin off, and state that a version is coming in the form of a Pontiac. Either they are clueless at C&D or the auto mags can't even keep up with the fast pace of the changes at GM.

:( And you can hear the Auto Rag sheets now, Get a updated Grandpa Mobile in the New Buick Regal

Until a few short years ago, Cadillac made luxury barges and Buick made sporty luxury cars. Funny how things change when the totem pole gets rocked. I think the same is true for the "new" Buick. To call it a "senior" car is status quo and out-dated. I see more 55+ drivers in Elements and Xbs now. As you get older, your desire is to stay young. No wonder Buick began to be attractive to older folks back in the day when "they" were the sporty luxury division. Guess Scion and Honda best prepare themselves for the stigma that awaits them.

Because GM still really does not get it.

I agree on the point that better than the current dated platforms and 4-speed/3800 combo cars isn't good enough. It has to be better than the Japanese sedans. And why is it supposed to compete with the Accord and Camry, the Malibu was supposed to do that.

Sounds like the Regal will be midsized and priced in the low $20s, and all it will do is compete with the Malibu.

I agree on the point that better than the current dated platforms and 4-speed/3800 combo cars isn't good enough. It has to be better than the Japanese sedans. And why is it supposed to compete with the Accord and Camry, the Malibu was supposed to do that.

Sounds like the Regal will be midsized and priced in the low $20s, and all it will do is compete with the Malibu.

Well, it does provide fresh product for Avis..

:( And you can hear the Auto Rag sheets now, Get a updated Grandpa Mobile in the New Buick Regal.

I know there are those that love Buick just like I love my cadillac Escalade, but that name really does bring back Seniors driving non inspiring auto's. I do not see it really getting younger famlies excited.

Does anyone have a photo of what this auto looks like? Guess will go and google it to see what it currently looks like in China.

Around here a lot of seniors are buying Elantras and Altimas. With many seniors retirement funds imploding, they are seeking 'cheaper' cars. An Altima with leather is cheaper than a Malibu or Allure (or whatever you guys call it down there.) I"ve lost two deals in the past month to the Altima.

Hmmm....

Theory?

2010 LaCrosse is AWESOME... price goes up a little each year. Eventually, its price is starting at $30. Regal arrives for the 2012 MY. Regal is a bit smaller, completely premium, starting at $25,000. It has features only available on the top trim Malibu, and features unique to Buick, maybe like AWD, Xenon headlamps, HUD, etc.

Just a guess at what GM could be thinking.

EDIT: I removed an apostrophe.

Edited by Paolino

sheer stupidity yet again on the time it's coming here. i feel like a broken record with the ignorant GM line. on the issue of who it competes with, GM still has the time to option this one correctly, with the right trim, right engine lineup, etc. as a buick this should only work if it has the right premium design. though i think the insignia is a very well designed car and i loved it as a middle of the road Saturn, i think the premium division needs something more special to be more...premium.

sheer stupidity yet again on the time it's coming here. i feel like a broken record with the ignorant GM line. on the issue of who it competes with, GM still has the time to option this one correctly, with the right trim, right engine lineup, etc. as a buick this should only work if it has the right premium design. though i think the insignia is a very well designed car and i loved it as a middle of the road Saturn, i think the premium division needs something more special to be more...premium.

Agreed and hence why the Insignia makes a better G6.

Of course, this don't matter. The only Buick I would be remotely interested in would be the Commodore-based Park Avenue China got.

Well, it does provide fresh product for Avis..

The whoring of Buick to fleets ended a few years ago.

So...

Because GM still really does not get it.

That statement was based on comments made by "industry sources"... not GM. GM will not be positioning this car directly against Accord or Camry. YES that is Malibu's job.

I'm sure GM's official position of the Regal will be more aspirational.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0