Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GMTruckGuy74

Which small car Pontiac would you choose?

Which small car Pontiac would you choose?   29 members have voted

1. 1. If you were in the market for a small car and wanted a Pontiac, which one would you choose?

• Pontiac G5 GT Coupe
    • Pontiac Vibe GT
    • Neither... I'd choose <blank> instead

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

Finances dictate that we consider a small, fuel-efficient vehicle if we go new (depending on the incentives GM offers and if I'm part of the pull-ahead program with my lease this month). Feel free to post your explanation after you vote, if you'd like.

Solstice. If you need some cargo and passenger space, then the G5 GT.

Edited by Croc

2009 Pontiac G5 GT Coupe in Performance Red Metallic:

6099.jpg

- - OR - -

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT in Hot Red:

04095907.jpg

If I had a gun to my head, G5 GT. No real reason other than I'd rather have a coupe, although the new Vibe may be a better built / nicer vehicle.

Otherwise, give me a G8 or an old Firebird.

Solstice. If you need some cargo and passenger space, then the G5 GT.

Oh if a Kappa was in the running I wouldn't hesitate to put another Saturn SKY in my garage in a heartbeat!! The new car has to be able to carry more than the driver and one passenger.

Do you have kids? If so, go with the Vibe...much less hassle.

I chose Vibe because you have a family. If you were single, I'd choose G5.

G5 GT is great looking loaded out...but damn expensive full sticker price -wise. 23K for a non turbo'd delta? I think not. Better be some good rebates. Dealer near me had a program car GT with <100 mi. and basically everything except auto. down to 16K already.

I like the Vibe but it if your much over 6' the seat doesn't move back enough.

Fit Sport is really a pretty good deal for a small car.

G3

EXCITEMENT!!!

The Cobalt SS is what the base model G5 should be. So it would either be a Cobalt SS or, if I wanted to spend more up front, a 1-series 5-door.

If you want something practical, get the Vibe... and in that case I'd choose the cheaper 1.8L over the GT. Around town, it's GM's most fuel-efficient car with a slushbox.

Don't waste the money on the GT..

Just get a 2.4 Model w/ 5 speed auto...gives that puppy some go...plus it will save like 4 grand....

I wouldn't waste the money on a G5...if you have to do that, just go Cobalt.

If you don't mind a little less, a bottom feeder Malibu LS or Impy LS can be had at or a bit more than what you might be spending...ditto w/ the G6......Plus, you get a bigger car.

Just food for thought.

If you want something practical, get the Vibe... and in that case I'd choose the cheaper 1.8L over the GT. Around town, it's GM's most fuel-efficient car with a slushbox.

Only if you like getting out and pushing your car... :neenerneener:

Granted it's better than the old 1.8, but it is still slow....

G3

EXCITEMENT!!!

The Cobalt SS is what the base model G5 should be. So it would either be a Cobalt SS or, if I wanted to spend more up front, a 1-series 5-door.

Heck NO! NO G3!

GMTG74, stick to your guns, if you want a Pontiac, buy one. The only Vibe that looks good to me is the GT because of the rims, fascias, and interior upgrades. That would be the one I'd get.

Vibe GT, hands down... I think it looks good and could look even better with a few mods. Not to mention, it's more practical and since I've owned the Focus ZX3 I've had a sort of fetish for small, aggressive looking wagon thingys.

Honestly though, I would probably buy an HHR SS over anything right now if I were in the market for something small.

Wait for the Fiesta or buy a Fit.

After all, if you buy a Vibe you're essentially buying a Toyota anyway, might as well get a better car.

Thanks for all of the replies, advice, and suggestions so far. Keep them coming.

As for why it must be a GM vehicle, I currently am in a GMAC SmartLease contract that expires in November. In March, GM offered a 5-month pull-ahead program (waived 5 payments) for leases expiring before October 31. I'm figuring GMAC will move the expiration date to include November this month, and that means I'd have to eat just one monthly payment to get out of my lease and into a finance deal. Also, that would mean I would have to buy a GM vehicle too. Plus the fact that my wife's company is entitled to theGM Supplier pricing discount program and the many additional incentives that come with it make it clear that a GM vehicle is the way to go.

As for why the Pontiac G5 GT or Vibe GT? I like Pontiacs over Chevys, and would like to put my money towards another Pontiac unit (even if it doesn't help GM out greatly). The wife would be the one getting this car, as she prefers to drive a smaller car on her 32-mile one way commute, and these are the two cars she likes and wants us to consider buying (well, really she wants the Vibe but will at least consider the G5). She said that she's be happy with a G3; however, I could never bring myself to put that car in my driveway. I really like the G5 GT styling (even if it is a rebadged Cobalt, I still like it better), and even though it's a 2-door only model my wife would be the sole person in the car 90% of the time (weekend duty would see it used for local errands, ect). As for the Vibe GT, that's what she really wanted last year when she bought the G6 - the incentives weren't on the Vibe at the time and I couldn't see spending $60-$80 more per month for the Vibe over the G6. As for the styling, she likes the racier looks of the GT model over the jelly-bean looks of the non-Gt model, so that trim level wins (ocnblu already pointed this out).

If I had the money I'd be getting a G8 V6 or GT model hands down - that's the one car I want desparetly. But in order to do what I need to with my SmartLease contract, I'd have to go new and not pre-owned or GM Certified. Seeing as how I will eventually need a new car regardless, might as well let the wife have what she really wants. And in the process I get the G6 V6 Sedan, as I prefer a car of that size or larger and have no desire whatsoever to own or drive a Vibe :lol:

And for what it's worth, if I was comfortable in a smaller car I'd go with the HHR hands down. The wife can't stand the HHR's styling one bit and refuses to even look at them, otherwise I'd ask her to look into that instead of a Vibe. And while I'm not ruling the Cobalt Sedan out yet, it can't be the SS model as that's a 5-speed manual only car and instead want to find a LT Sedan with the Sport Appearance Package if we go that route.

I'd go for the entry-level G8. But if it doesn't pencil, pick one of the others you mention. The Vibe shares Matrix reliability, right? Hmmm. How about an entry-level 4-cyl Malibu?

If you don't mind a little less, a bottom feeder Malibu LS or Impy LS can be had at or a bit more than what you might be spending...ditto w/ the G6......Plus, you get a bigger car.

Don't waste your money on either. Get a Focus SES Coupe. Too bad you're not in Canada, you can get the Impala LS like mine with Alloys, Flip and Fold Seats, XM Radio and Spoiler. The Malibu LS isn't a bad idear either for that matter.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0