FUTURE_OF_GM

Pontiac G8: "Audi level interior"

75 posts in this topic

"part old-fashioned American muscle car, part sophisticated European performance ride"

That should be Pontiacs new tag line, and every car Pontiac makes should be made to fit that.

"part old-fashioned American muscle car, part sophisticated European performance ride"

That should be Pontiacs new tag line, and every car Pontiac makes should be made to fit that.

:yes:

G8 GXP - Big-Bore Bad-Ass American Attitude mixed with an equally impressive dose of European Sophistication

Just wish I could afford one.

That's surprising; I read before that the G8 has some minor interior build quality problems.

All this and much more from THE WASHINGTON POST!

The Washington Post's auto writer, Warren Brown has been, in the past, quite conciliatory with GM - he was once described as a "Detroit apologist", having written possibly the only positive review of the Torrent ("Pontiac's Torrent just makes you want to drive - Chock full of SUV attitude, this is a vehicle built to escape urban sprawl and crawl.")

This article is written by a "staff writer", but if you've read the Post's car reviews, their praise of the G8 doesn't come as a surprise.

The problem with that tag line is, it's not an American muscle car (it's Australian), and there is nothing European about it ...

FOG don't be taken in by the Liberal Media (The Washington Post) that you hate ... :rotflmao:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

It most certainly is an American musclecar, its just screwed together in Australia.

And, the most important component of a musclecar (the engine) is built right here.

The configuration, proportions, and styling certainly fit that of a European sport sedan - so BS to you on that as well, PCS.

You just hate the fact that so many people love this car.

It most certainly is an American musclecar, its just screwed together in Australia.

You keep telling yourself that, while you're at it click your ruby slippers together and repeat, "There is no place like home, There is no place like home ..."

And, the most important component of a musclecar (the engine) is built right here.

Really, I could have sworn I smelt Mexican food when the engines were uncrated.

The configuration, proportions, and styling certainly fit that of a European sport sedan - so BS to you on that as well, PCS.

Sorry, European means made in Europe, like me ... :rotflmao:

All your quips aside, the reality is that the G8 is more American in intent than anything short of a full-size pickup and more European in execution than any other sport sedan not built there.

All your quips aside, the reality is that the G8 is more American in intent than anything short of a full-size pickup and more European in execution than any other sport sedan not built there.

Ahhh intent, now if I were only an attorney ... :smilewide:

The Washington Post's auto writer, Warren Brown has been, in the past, quite conciliatory with GM - he was once described as a "Detroit apologist", having written possibly the only positive review of the Torrent ("Pontiac's Torrent just makes you want to drive - Chock full of SUV attitude, this is a vehicle built to escape urban sprawl and crawl.")

This article is written by a "staff writer", but if you've read the Post's car reviews, their praise of the G8 doesn't come as a surprise.

***sigh***

I see your point.

But hypothetically, with that mindset, I can also see how you could be another anti-GM person that is just unwilling to accept that the company can do something right. The Torrent is NOTHING like the G8. I'm pretty sure the G8 earned ALL of this praise.

The problem with that tag line is, it's not an American muscle car (it's Australian), and there is nothing European about it ...

GM = an american company. Pontiac = an american brand (exclusive to North America) That's about as american as you can get this day in age IMO.

FOG don't be taken in by the Liberal Media (The Washington Post) that you hate ...

1) I never offered my opinion on the article.

2) The CONservative media is just as bad as the liberal media.

You just hate the fact that so many people love this car.

Sorry, European means made in Europe, like me ...

Denying your texASS heritage now?

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

This seems fitting and typical GM for the past 30 years. They get something perfected for a division or a product then it is killed (Oldsmobile, Fiero, etc.).

This seems fitting and typical GM for the past 30 years. They get something perfected for a division or a product then it is killed (Oldsmobile, Fiero, etc.).

Can't argue with that.

Unfortunately.

One difference this time though, this time the product was right from the start - not so much the corporation that produced it.

comparable to something from Audi

I'll see about that.

***sigh***

I see your point.

But hypothetically, with that mindset, I can also see how you could be another anti-GM person that is just unwilling to accept that the company can do something right. The Torrent is NOTHING like the G8. I'm pretty sure the G8 earned ALL of this praise.

GM = an american company. Pontiac = an american brand (exclusive to North America) That's about as american as you can get this day in age IMO.

1) I never offered my opinion on the article.

2) The CONservative media is just as bad as the liberal media.

Denying your texASS heritage now?

Well let's see....he wasn't born there....not a Native Texan.

Really, I could have sworn I smelt Mexican food when the engines were uncrated.

So how's the engine in your wife's Equinox doing? ZING!!

:pokeowned:

The Camry is built here, but the funny thing is...I wouldn't call it an American car, because guess what?!?!? The parent corporation is in Japan! Without GM Holden wouldn't be building such vehicles. Therefore the G8 is a domestic.

The Camry is built here, but the funny thing is...I wouldn't call it an American car, because guess what?!?!? The parent corporation is in Japan! Without GM Holden wouldn't be building such vehicles. Therefore the G8 is a domestic.

To bring it closer to home for PCS, does that mean that the X5, X6, and Z3/Z4 (prior to MY '09) are American cars? :neenerneener:

That's surprising; I read before that the G8 has some minor interior build quality problems.

It does. The interior has nowhere near the solidity and quality of build that an Audi has.

In the centre console area, there were some trim pieces that I noticed that were disturbingly loose.

Too bad they could not build a G6 with the appeal of a G8.

But they would have had no money to maket it properly anyway :(

As it is the GXP will be a faily unknown car in the greneral public just as my HHR SS is. I get peole all the time thinking I made my HHR SS and I have to explain they are sitting on most dealer lots.

GM get some good cars and can't afford to spread the word.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor