Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToniCipriani

Should Pontiac make a 4-cylinder G6 Coupe?

Should Pontiac make a 4-cylinder G6 Coupe?   55 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pontiac make a 4-cylinder G6 Coupe?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

81 posts in this topic

Well since there's no Pursuit down south, that makes the G6 coupe to be the smallest coupe that Pontiac has. Should they make a 4-cylinder version instead of just the GT and GTP until a new coupe arrives? I myself is all for a 4-cylinder G6 :D Edited by ToniCipriani

I don't see why not. This car would probably start in the high teens, making it a good head-on competitor to the Accord, especially if they offer it with the 5spd.

Hell no... it's heavy enough as is. It's going to be slow as sh!t. If it loses a few hundred pounds, I could see it. Right now, no way. This isn't like when Grand Ams did it as they were light. Mine weighs only 2800lbs. A 4cyl works great for it. A 3500lb one? You've got to be kidding me unless you're turbocharging it. But that isn't cheap... So no, no, no, and no!

I don't understand the appeal of the four-cylinder G6's, but I've never driven a vehicle with the 2.4 liter ecotec. I have driven several vehicles with the 2.2 liter ecotec, and I don't find that engine to be particularly smooth. How is the larger engine? Smooth, fun to rev? More fun than the 3900?

Haven't picked up my car yet, so I couldn't comment at the moment. But I did drive a GT with a 3.5L, it's a bit too much power for me. I generally don't like cars that have too much power, but not pigs as well. It's not like I'm racing the car or doing donuts, but I still want it to go up hills with no problems.

I wouldn't mind a 4cyl G6 coupe since the sedan offers it and it could be a good for people who want better gas mileage but don't want a compact.

I'm thinking that my next car might be an Alero or Grand Am coupe with an Ecotec (5 speed of course).

But I did drive a GT with a 3.5L, it's a bit too much power for me. I generally don't like cars that have too much power, but not pigs as well.

I'll take a cobalt coupe with a twin turbo charged LS7 B) .. Is that too much power?

No-there shouldn't even be a 4-cylinder G6-the 2.8-liter DOHC High Feature 210hp V-6 should be standard on Base models-leave the 4-cylinders (the 2.4-liter DOHC ECOTEC) to the Malibu.

Pontiac should make a four cylinder version of the G6 coupe. I'm glad they make a sedan. I just wish that it had a few more available options so that one could have equipment levels comparing to the V6 versions (this is supposing that the Build & Price part of Pontiac's page is the same as a little while ago) but while having a lower overall price and improved efficiency (however slim) as some of us, like me, enjoy that peculiar four cylinder sound and be able to boast about that fuel mileage. Now, Pontiac, just one more thing about the G6 four cylinder model- PUT A BLOODY STICKSHIFT IN IT!!!!!!!!! Edited by MyerShift

How about the Cobalt SS motor? Actually, the 2.4L might work if offered with manual transmission, which should be available on the 4 cyl sedan as well.

How about the Cobalt SS motor?  Actually, the 2.4L might work if offered with manual transmission, which should be available on the 4 cyl sedan as well.

[post="48151"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Having the Supercharged under the hood sort of defeats the purpose in the first place. A 4-cylinder version should be the economical alternative, but the supercharged isn't. I guess the 2.4L will just need some time to prove itself before some people will change its mind.

And yes, the 4-cylinder is dying for better transmissions.

Now, Pontiac, just one more thing about the G6 four cylinder model-

PUT A BLOODY STICKSHIFT IN IT!!!!!!!!!

[post="48071"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I prefer my stick shifts to be clear of any and all blood, thank you. B)

Now... Yes, there should be a 4-cyl G6 Coupe. A: It's already offered in the Sedan. B: It would bring down the price and generate more sales. C: Since there's no Sunfire/Pursuit to speak of in the US, it would be a damn good entry-level car for Pontiac.

Maybe you guys are the reason GM bastardized Pontiac... :blink: I repeat: No. It'll just as bad of an idea as the Torrent and Montana. Sure, it'll bring in sales, but it'll further degrate Pontiac's ailing image. First of all, a G6 with the 3.5 does 0-60 in only 8 seconds. 8 seconds, people. Even that is terrible. A DOHC N/A 4cyl? You're looking at atleast 9+ seconds. Again, slow as sh!t. A DOHC T/C or S/C 4cyl? That could possibly be acceptable but it eliminate whatever advantages it had in cost and fuel mileage. So what is the point? How about we get on GM's ass for not offering an actuall compact instead this horrible idea? I swear C&G is hellbent on Pontiac's death.

Maybe you guys are the reason GM bastardized Pontiac... :blink:

I repeat: No. It'll just as bad of an idea as the Torrent and Montana. Sure, it'll bring in sales, but it'll further degrate Pontiac's ailing image. First of all, a G6 with the 3.5 does 0-60 in only 8 seconds. 8 seconds, people. Even that is terrible. A DOHC N/A 4cyl? You're looking at atleast 9+ seconds. Again, slow as sh!t. A DOHC T/C or S/C 4cyl? That could possibly be acceptable but it eliminate whatever advantages it had in cost and fuel mileage. So what is the point? How about we get on GM's ass for not offering an actuall compact instead this horrible idea?

I swear C&G is hellbent on Pontiac's death.

[post="48209"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree. Even my 4cyl 98 Grand Am Se did 0-60 in 7.9 seconds, and now the V6 G6 cant even match that.
I'm sure Pontiac could get more sales by adding the Pontiac Wave to the lineup, but I doubt that would help the brand. How about the 2.8 as the base engine with a stick instead?
Pontiac needs to bring its image up to match its prices, instead of bringing its prices down to match its image. Edited by CaddyXLR-V

No-there shouldn't even be a 4-cylinder G6-the 2.8-liter DOHC High Feature 210hp V-6 should be standard on Base models-leave the 4-cylinders (the 2.4-liter DOHC ECOTEC) to the Malibu.

[post="48054"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree. Even my 4cyl 98 Grand Am Se did 0-60 in 7.9 seconds, and now the V6 G6 cant even match that.
I'm sure Pontiac could get more sales by adding the Pontiac Wave to the lineup, but I doubt that would help the brand. How about the 2.8 as the base engine with a stick instead?
Pontiac needs to bring its image up to match its prices, instead of bringing its prices down to match its image.

[post="48282"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

OK, reality check. The 2.8L is built at St. Catharines, and that plant's closing. Where would you expect to get enough engines from, given that most of them go into CTSes already?

In short: Pontiac won't get that engine.

The original plan was to give the G6 the 2.8L, but it would have been more expensive than going with the 3.5L; so, giving it the 2.8L would raise the price, not lower it.

OK, reality check. The 2.8L is built at St. Catharines, and that plant's closing. Where would you expect to get enough engines from, given that most of them go into CTSes already?

In short: Pontiac won't get that engine.

Realtiy check.. 4cyl and a g6 coupe is a fuckin stupide idea. :rolleuys:

Is there still a 4 cylinder BMW available in the US? Edited by ocnblu

BV: Realtiy check.. 4cyl and a g6 coupe is a fuckin stupide idea. :rolleuys: Reality is: Everything is stupid to some degree, of course, you know you can order one with the 4cyl in it? 34mpg s t o p w h i n i n g :P Edited by mightymouse

BV: Realtiy check.. 4cyl and a g6 coupe is a fuckin stupide idea. :rolleuys:

Reality is: Everything is stupid to some degree, of course, you know you can order one with the 4cyl in it?  34mpg

s  t  o  p  w  h  i  n  i  n  g    :P

[post="48843"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can?? The coupe's GT and GTP only isn't it?

[quote name='ToniCipriani' date='Nov 26 2005, 09:18 PM']
You can?? The coupe's GT and GTP only isn't it?
There's a Pontiac salesman that lives down the street, he was
telling me that you can order a coupe w/a 4 beginning in '06....
I don't have proof, tho...Pontiac site says otherwise of course.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0