How many Chevy SSs have you owned?

1968 Chevelle SS Bench seat 4 speed one of the first built

1972 GMC Sprint SP Rare [ GMC's version of the El Camino SS big block]

2008 HHR SS

Funny how the 2.0 4 cylinder is the fastest of all of them.

Edited by hyperv6

ZERO.

That having been said my 1968 Camaro had enough balls

to blow the doors off of most stock SS anythings. :metal:

^^^

I had a weak SS as well, 2006 maibu SS sedan, not really worthy of the SS name but still a decent car with some above average midsize fwd performance for the day at a good price.

Maybe we should change this to who owned a SS that cold do at least a sum 15 sec in the 1/4 mile stock. That way we could seperate the sticker cars from the real SS. LOL! There are a lot of SS I would not consider much of a performance car in the 80's and 90's. Chevy got pretty liberal with the SS emblem for a while.

Am I the only one who has had a SS from the 60's and 70's?

Being 27 with a full time job i am only now finding disposable invcome to throw at vehicles... a house payment is in the near future though so i doubt i will be in this situation long enough to aquire one.

Maybe we should change this to who owned a SS that cold do at least a sum 15 sec in the 1/4 mile stock. That way we could seperate the sticker cars from the real SS. LOL! There are a lot of SS I would not consider much of a performance car in the 80's and 90's. Chevy got pretty liberal with the SS emblem for a while.

my ss454 still wouldnt qualify i think it was a 15.9 @ 90 mph that being said

FTW

truckpic.JPG

FTL

97S10SS.jpg

Edited by cletus8269

My moms 07 Monte Carlo may be a front wheel drive V8, but its nothing to look over that thing will haul some serious ass!

:iroc-dragster:

hehe whoops kinda makes me feel bad that is said FTL about it.

I had a ZQ8 GMC SLS. THe GMC version of the SS. It was a dog of a 4.3 but it was fun on off ramps. I loved that truck.

I just feel bad that most people here have owned the power poor versions of the SS and missed on the Powerful SS of the past.

I still lover the 80's SS Monte amd El Camino and most of the others Though there were a couple I could have done without.

They made some cool cars just it was a shame Chevy did not use the engines they could have used. Imagine a Monte SS with a TPI 350 VS a 305 Carb. It is like the SS always got the short end till the GMPD got ahold of tuning them a couple years ago starting with the Trailblazer SS.

Edited by hyperv6

I had a ZQ8 GMC SLS. THe GMC version of the SS. It was a dog of a 4.3 but it was fun on off ramps. I loved that truck.

I just feel bad that most people here have owned the power poor versions of the SS and missed on the Powerful SS of the past.

true, and they keep getting further and further out of reach every year.

my sisters fiance has an s10 extreme 4.3 his major complaint is that his doesnt have a posi but all the 4cyl he sees has them hehe.

my SS454 wasnt a barn burner by any means, and had i kept it i was planning a head swap and possibly a procharger. but it could hold its own against many a car... up till 55mph cause thats when final gear kicked in... stupid TH400 <_<

Just 1 SS the 67 Imp.convertible Marina blue / Parchment top / Parchment & Ebony interior M21 4spd

but only the 275 hp 327cid Turbo-Fire 1st car still own itthough hasn't been on the road since 1981

Ordered a new 81 Citation X11 4spd OD 2.8 L HO 135hp Could whip 320i Saab turbo & another turbo can't remember but it was MT's car of the year 6 yrs later in the junkyard :deadhorse:

true, and they keep getting further and further out of reach every year.

my sisters fiance has an s10 extreme 4.3 his major complaint is that his doesnt have a posi but all the 4cyl he sees has them hehe.

my SS454 wasnt a barn burner by any means, and had i kept it i was planning a head swap and possibly a procharger. but it could hold its own against many a car... up till 55mph cause thats when final gear kicked in... stupid TH400 <_<

The GMC I owned had the higher HP 4.3 it gained something like 8 HP whooo ho!!!. But I did make sure it had a limited slip. With the LSD read it would run like a tank.

The handling was 3 gen Camaro like for a truck. In fact my buddy talked me into autocrossing it one day and he had been running his 4th Gen LT1 that summer. I out ran him by near 2 sec on my runs. We both were on street rubber and on a tight track. I could get the power down when he could not, lots of wheel spin coming off corners. THe V6 lack of power made me fast that day.

I also out ran a few cars like an Audi, Volvo and Probe GT that were in my group. THe guy in the Probe came over and flat our asked me how I was doing that. I told him I did not know as it was my first try at this. He was not happy with his soft Hosiers on and me with my Goodyear All season Eagles. LOL.

It was a good truck and the closest thing to a El Camino I could get that GM made. I would have bought a new one if the Colorado's ZQ8 if they were not so crappy inside.

I had a couple buddies with new 454 SS trucks. Nice looking truck but nothing but gas hogs. They both did not keep them long as they liked them but got tires of the gas mileage.

Edited by hyperv6

I would have bought a new one if the Colorado's ZQ8 if they were not so crappy inside.

:( true that... not even the leather interior saves them to me.

I had a couple buddies with new 454 SS trucks. Nice looking truck but nothing but gas hogs. They both did not keep them long as they liked them but got tires of the gas mileage.

you aint kidding. my window sticker said 10 city 11 hwy :lol:

had to have 89 at the least too. i liked putting 92/93 in mine but when gas hit +$2 i cut back to 89... then i cut back driving it as much and drove the impala more. th350+2.92 > th400+3.73

they upped the ante in 91 by slinging an overdrive in it but the dummies put 4.10's under the rear... idiots.

:( true that... not even the leather interior saves them to me.

you aint kidding. my window sticker said 10 city 11 hwy :lol:

had to have 89 at the least too. i liked putting 92/93 in mine but when gas hit +$2 i cut back to 89... then i cut back driving it as much and drove the impala more. th350+2.92 > th400+3.73

they upped the ante in 91 by slinging an overdrive in it but the dummies put 4.10's under the rear... idiots.

Kinda sad when you consider that I could get High teens to 20 MPG in my '70 SS El Camino with its tweaked LS5 454. The thing had about 400 or so horse and a 4spd. with 4.11 gears.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, none.

I'd like to have:

'70 or '71 Monte Carlo SS 454

(or)

1987 Monte Carlo SS

(or)

1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I love to hear the steel belts hummin' on the asphalt" ... Steve Earle ... 'Guitar Town'

• 2 months later...

yeah, the 572 is much, they had to do some interior changes, a slight trans tunnel mod and a hood swap of course. a fast burn zz383 stroker would be something that could be pulled and swapped in a day. had i to do it over again i would have pulled the impalas original L48 350 and put a built or crate motor in it so that just an engine swap could go back stock if i decided to.