rkmdogs

What does GM have to compete with Taurus SHO ?

143 posts in this topic

As I said on another blog, in my area I have seen 4 Ford ads in 2 days promoting their

Taurus SHO sedan.

What does GM have to offer against it? The Pontiac G8 is no more... and it was RWD.

(Which I prefer)

The new Buicks are out of the price range.

The Malibu and Impalas are a joke. All the SS's are dead....

Chrysler still has the Charger, as a sedan.

So I say again, what does the General offer as a performance SEDAN?

Don't say the Camaro, because in your wettest dream, that is not a sedan.

In order to stay in the market, you have to compete ---- apples to apples!

An old latin saying, QUO VADIS, GM ????????

:unitedstates:

Well, the SHO is priced into CTS territory.

(I'm not saying the SHO competes with the CTS, but I can't see a Chevy SS (Malibu?) in that price range...possibly a LaCrosse performance variant instead?)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Well, the SHO is priced into CTS territory.

Yes, the SHO is in CTS territory and I would take a CTS over it any day. Ford will have a hard time selling SHO it's price point.

IF GM wants to be competive in the market they should NOT compete with the TAURUS SHO. 1st the Taurus wieghts in at 4,000 pounds and is longer than a Malibu, Camry or Accord. 2nd it gets terrible gas milage. Since Ford has retired the Crown Vic I would argue that the Taurus is the replacement for the Crown Vic. A bloated over wieght older generation applealing lemon of a car.

Also as the previous posters pointed out the Cadillacs are at the same price point as the Taurus, wieght less get better gas milage and performance. Lets remeber what got he US automakers in trouble, it was making bloated overwight cars. Competeing with the Taurus is a battle that no one wins because that car market has disappeared.

Edited by NEXTEL CUP

It is in CTS territory but it's also a look larger and more roomy than the CTS. I would think of it CTS priced but DTS sized...and well the DTS is ancient.

GM can't compete in every market segment, they have to pick and choose their battles and try to win where they do compete. They shouldn't build a car like the SHO, just like I think they shouldn't bother with the Cadillac XTS, or most of GMC's lineup. I'd rather see them make a minivan, that is a large segment and they have no entry at all. Yet they make several full size SUVs that compete against each other.

The SHO is $38-43,000, so it is more expensive than a LaCrosse or Lucerne, but it does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. For people that want full size and performance it is a good car, but that isn't a large market. Most people wanting a sporty car are going to go with a G37, 3-series, CTS, etc. If Ford put the SHO's powertrain on the Fusion and priced it around $30,000, they'd have a strong seller.

Yes, the SHO is in CTS territory and I would take a CTS over it any day. Ford will have a hard time selling SHO it's price point.

A loaded SHO barely touches a base, stripped out CTS. I'd say it is not priced in CTS territory at all.......

A loaded SHO barely touches a base, stripped out CTS. I'd say it is not priced in CTS territory at all.......

The SHO is $38-43k or so...I'm sure some CTSes are in that price range. I didn't say they are competitors--many cars/trucks/SUVs are in that price range--, but that they are in overlapping price ranges, way above that of the Taurus' GM competition (Impala). The recent Impala SS wasn't in that price range...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

A loaded Silverado LTZ is probably around that price range so they overlap too, clearly.

incentives.....wait for them.....

BTW the new Taurus is a BEAST in the flesh. too big, too over the top inside. Of course, i like the 08/09. the 010 hulks over the 09.

but a twin turbo v6 can make up for that....

IF GM wants to be competive in the market they should NOT compete with the TAURUS SHO. 1st the Taurus wieghts in at 4,000 pounds and is longer than a Malibu, Camry or Accord. 2nd it gets terrible gas milage. Since Ford has retired the Crown Vic I would argue that the Taurus is the replacement for the Crown Vic. A bloated over wieght older generation applealing lemon of a car.

Also as the previous posters pointed out the Cadillacs are at the same price point as the Taurus, wieght less get better gas milage and performance. Lets remeber what got he US automakers in trouble, it was making bloated overwight cars. Competeing with the Taurus is a battle that no one wins because that car market has disappeared.

sho gets like 33% better mpg than G8 GXP

sho gets like 33% better mpg than G8 GXP

I think it was Car and Driver that said they got 16mpg with the SHO. I'm pretty sure a G8 GT/GXP would get a similar rating, possibly better.

Plus, how many SHO's is Ford going to sell?

I think it was Car and Driver that said they got 16mpg with the SHO. I'm pretty sure a G8 GT/GXP would get a similar rating, possibly better.

How many G8s is Pontiac going to sell after the SHO hits showrooms?

If there is a large enough market to capture, sure; however taking even half of the interested consumers at that price-point and niche model won't amount to much.

Ouch, that smarts.

Depends how much more cash is on the G8's hood when the SHO hits the lots. I have a feeling the SHO will have less success than the G8 GT. GM realized that the majority of people don't have much of an appetite for large sedans with big engines, and Ford will likely learn the same.

Edited by TheCaptain

Ford is doing s decent job of advertising the Taurus so far,something GM hasn't done for any car pretty much ever. The problem is that people are either going to remember the '86-'96 midsizers or the '96-'07 fleet queens and not associate "Taurus" with "quality large sedan" which is what it is now.

GM has exactly NOTHING to compete with the big, bold, patriotic Ford Taurus SHO. Yes, it is giant, but Americans like big things. It is a fullsize car and unashamedly so. I love the new Taurus. :unitedstates:

I like the car but fear for what will happen to all performance cars when the price of fuel goes up.

But it is wayy cool. Personaly though, I would prefer a G8 on styling alone.

But I'm not going to drop 35K on a car that gets 17 MPG, so I am not part of their target market.

Chris

GM has exactly NOTHING to compete with the big, bold, patriotic Ford Taurus SHO. Yes, it is giant, but Americans like big things. It is a fullsize car and unashamedly so. I love the new Taurus. :unitedstates:

+ 1 / I would rather be in a car than a truck & Ford understands that.

They are positioning themselves for the future when CAFE will kill manufacturers still pushing trucks, SUV's & CUV's.

Depends how much more cash is on the G8's hood when the SHO hits the lots. I have a feeling the SHO will have less success than the G8 GT. GM realized that the majority of people don't have much of an appetite for large sedans with big engines, and Ford will likely learn the same.

The whole point is that the G8's won't be available...

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Taurus in person...looks great in the pics. I like the size of it. The interior looks great from the pics.

Ford is doing s decent job of advertising the Taurus so far,something GM hasn't done for any car pretty much ever. The problem is that people are either going to remember the '86-'96 midsizers or the '96-'07 fleet queens and not associate "Taurus" with "quality large sedan" which is what it is now.

I do not think Ford would mind if people recall those '86-96 ers. In fact, I bet they count on it.

They are doing a very good job of putting it out there.

Now that I put more thought into it, I guess the people who bought the '86-'95 models are probably at a point in their lives where they dont want "just" a run-of-the-mill midsizer so the new Taurus, with its larger size and higher price point and premium options will probably appeal to them.

I still haven't seen one in person, which is odd since it seemed the Fusion and Mustang were on lots pretty quickly, but I imagine I'll be as impressed in person as I have been with the pics. And their advertising has been pretty good so far too, they're mentioning the car, what it has and what it can do and not BUY NOW $5000 OFF!!!!!!

how many pontiacs / GXP's will they sell in 2010?

lots of buff books have exceeded over 20 with their ecoboost vehicles in tests. bottom line is in standardized testing, the SHO gets about 33% better mpg and you can get up your inclined driveway with it in the winter.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor