Official NAIAS '06 Listings From Edmunds

Guest Josh

General Motors There's no holiday break for the folks at GM — they have much too much going on with the Los Angeles and Detroit auto shows around the corner. Their all-new sport-utes based on the GMT-900 platform will show up at the Los Angeles show in the form of a Chevrolet Suburban and a GMC Yukon XL. Joining the Suburban in L.A. will be the high-performance Pontiac Solstice GXP. While these models are important, GM saved the really big bling for their homies. • Buick Enclave The all-new Buick Enclave is the first of several full-size crossovers to be based on GM's new Lambda platform. The eight-passenger will utilize 3.9-liter V6 and 5.3-liter V8 engines (with the V8 featuring Displacement on Demand) and a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-drive and all-wheel-drive versions will be offered. A dual-mode hybrid is expected in 2009. Expect the Enclave to be larger than the current Chevrolet TrailBlazer/GMC Envoy/Buick Rainier. Styling cues were foreshadowed by the 2003 Buick Centieme concept. Curiously, our non-GM industry sources assert that the first Lambda-based vehicle to go on sale will be the Saturn Outlook. The GMC Acadia will be next, and the Buick will hit showrooms last, replacing both the Rendezvous and the Rainier. • Cadillac Escalade GM's critical next generation of full-size SUVs begins its rollout with the Cadillac Escalade. Detroit is the first show where the public can get up close and personal with the Escalade, and the not-seen-until-January-8th EXT and ESV variations. The EXT is Cadillac's version of the Chevy Avalanche, while the ESV is a long-wheelbase, Suburban-size Escalade. The second generation of Escalades was a smash hit for Cadillac. Now we'll see if the new models have the goods to repeat. • Chevrolet Camaro None too soon for enthusiasts, there's news regarding a future Camaro. Since the release of the Dodge Challenger concept drawing, rumors have escalated that Chevrolet will debut a Camaro concept car that could be built on a lengthened Kappa chassis (think Solstice), or on a new rear-wheel-drive platform called Zeta. No pictures are available, so we don't know if GM designers will play the heritage card à la Mustang or the concept Challenger, or go a new direction. Cross your fingers and hope for the best, regardless of the decision they make. If the Camaro is approved for production, think 2009 for the model's introduction. • Chevrolet Tahoe Two-Mode Hybrid While the new GM full-size SUVs showcase the latest in truck engineering, they also spearhead one of GM's approaches to hybrid technologies. Slated for production as a 2008 model, the new system uses a staged hybrid drive with one set of mechanicals optimized for lower speeds, and a second designed to improve economy at high speeds (something single-mode hybrids don't do very well). By focusing on popular vehicles that use a lot of fuel, GM's approach makes sense, as the fuel savings will be significant. • Saturn Vue Green Line Almost ready for production, the 2007 Vue Green Line showcases another of GM's approaches to hybrid technology. The heart of this low-cost system is a motor/generator/alternator that works with the Vue's four-cylinder engine and a continuously variable transmission. A full complement of electronics and a battery pack complete the system that a GM Powertrain engineer promises will deliver "well in excess of a 10-percent improvement in overall fuel economy." As excited as the GM Powertrain folks were, we're expecting at least a 15-percent boost in economy for a price that undercuts all other hybrid SUVs on the market.

• Buick Enclave
The all-new Buick Enclave is the first of several full-size crossovers to be based on GM's new Lambda platform. The eight-passenger will utilize 3.9-liter V6 and 5.3-liter V8 engines (with the V8 featuring Displacement on Demand) and a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-drive and all-wheel-drive versions will be offered. A dual-mode hybrid is expected in 2009.

WTF? This better be bad info on Edmunds' part, and not GM cheaping out again on new products. I thought the Lambdas were getting the 3.6L HF V6 and 4.7L UV8?

The only Lambda I could see doing ok with OHV engines would be the GMC. I could see it doing fine with a 3.9 VVT and 6 speed auto along with a 5.3 DOD 6 speed auto combo but not the Saturn or the Buick. Also I don't see GM certifying 1 out of 3 products for a different engine combo so my guess is the 3.6 OHC across the line.

WTF? This better be bad info on Edmunds' part, and not GM cheaping out again on new products. I thought the Lambdas were getting the 3.6L HF V6 and 4.7L UV8?

[post="64745"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I remember reading the Lambdas would get the 5.3L from a few different places, but as always I dont keep track of where I read it. I wouldn't complain about the 5.3L, but I would rather have the 3.6 than the 3.9.

I give serious congrats to GM on hiding the new Camaro... I have not seen a single spy picture of it... If they are really bringing it out as i hope they do they did an excellent job covering it up.

[post="64777"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You know how it goes. Someone out there has pictures, and its getting awefully close to showtime. Trigger fingers are going to itch.
I hope no one blows the surprise. :)

I am really looking forward to the Lambda's. From the spy shots, these seem to be really cool crossovers.

"Buick Enclave
The all-new Buick Enclave is the first of several full-size crossovers to be based on GM's new Lambda platform. The eight-passenger will utilize 3.9-liter V6 and 5.3-liter V8 engines (with the V8 featuring Displacement on Demand) and a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-drive and all-wheel-drive versions will be offered. A dual-mode hybrid is expected in 2009."

I don't know about that part. I can't see this working as an 8 seater.

But I do like the speculation about the 5.3 getting the 6 speed transmission.

I wouldn't count too much on the accuracy of the Edmunds article. Or Edmunds in general. We do know that GM has released a teaser that mentions the unveiling of a Enclave "concept" vehicle. I'm really thinking that Edmunds and their "experts" took the liberty of making some of this stuff up.

I'm really thinking that Edmunds and their "experts" took the liberty of making some of this stuff up.

[post="64800"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wouldn't be the first time.

Lets also remember that the interior Acadia spy photos have a center console which means it is not an 8 seater.

Remember, the 2nd-row bucket seats COULD be optional-3 in the rear, 3 in the middle, 2 in the front. What is GM thinking? I thought the 3.6-liter DOHC HF V-6 wqas to be standard as it should be? Why do the High Value engines even exist? The HV's are not acceptable in any vehicle and they should be dropped immediately! And what happened with the Northstar replacement V-8, and why would a front-drive car-based crossover need a 5300 V-8?

I am most curious about the Lambdas as the Saturn is likely to be my next vehicle. I was really hoping for something other than the 5.3L. I know it is reliable and gets good mileage - but the Saturn and Buick need a more "high class" option. Oh well - if they bring the V8 they will be the only manufacturer to offer a V8 in a crossover. I can't wait to find out the specifics.

what a bunch of dumb f8\*ckers at GM......Jesus Christ why is GM continuing to insist on leaving the HF v6 products out of their chevy and buick and pontiac products? the 3.9 is an ok pushrod engine but for crying out loud your continuing to get raped in the press and in the showroom and you keep REFUSING TO PUT YOUR BEST PRODUCT ON THE SHOWFLOOR. IDIOTS. Someone please, i struggle to get how someone shopping Pilots will want the Enclave with the shortchanging under the hood. The 5.3v8 is a great move, but dammit, get those HF v6's under the hood too! Do the guys running GM EVER pull the sht encrusted heads out of their asses? its to the point where we should line em up against the wall and flog them their moves are so stupid. really, what sort of dumb ASSES are planning product at GM? This is as bad as making the 3500 available in the Aura. I am completely perplexed. Edited by regfootball

Actually, I believe no one has the press photos of the Camaro yet. I'm pretty sure GM isn't releasing them until after the press conference in Detroit. Given the history of embargo-breaking, I can't say I'm surprised.

[post="64855"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

hehe

what a bunch of dumb f8\*ckers at GM......Jesus Christ why is GM continuing to insist on leaving the HF v6 products out of their chevy and buick and pontiac products?  the 3.9 is an ok pushrod engine but for crying out loud your continuing to get raped in the press and in the showroom and you keep REFUSING TO PUT YOUR BEST PRODUCT ON THE SHOWFLOOR.  IDIOTS.

Someone please, i struggle to get how someone shopping Pilots will want the Enclave with the shortchanging under the hood.  The 5.3v8 is a great move, but dammit, get those HF v6's under the hood too!

Do the guys running GM EVER pull the sht encrusted heads out of their asses?  its to the point where we should line em up against the wall and flog them their moves are so stupid.

really, what sort of dumb ASSES are planning product at GM?  This is as bad as making the 3500 available in the Aura.

I am completely perplexed.

[post="64895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, I won't buy a product because the engine isn't technologically advanced. It can't be old fasioned or I'll just die a thousand deaths!!! :o

what a bunch of dumb f8\*ckers at GM......Jesus Christ why is GM continuing to insist on leaving the HF v6 products out of their chevy and buick and pontiac products?  the 3.9 is an ok pushrod engine but for crying out loud your continuing to get raped in the press and in the showroom and you keep REFUSING TO PUT YOUR BEST PRODUCT ON THE SHOWFLOOR.  IDIOTS.

Someone please, i struggle to get how someone shopping Pilots will want the Enclave with the shortchanging under the hood.  The 5.3v8 is a great move, but dammit, get those HF v6's under the hood too!

Do the guys running GM EVER pull the sht encrusted heads out of their asses?  its to the point where we should line em up against the wall and flog them their moves are so stupid.

really, what sort of dumb ASSES are planning product at GM?  This is as bad as making the 3500 available in the Aura.

I am completely perplexed.

[post="64895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ooo...so dark

I don't understand why some of you are so negative toward pushrod motors. They are cheaper to build, reliable, less moving parts, lighter in weight and can produce similar milage. They are also cheaper to work on. Screw the press, as long as the HP and reliability is there who cares... honestly??

I give serious congrats to GM on hiding the new Camaro... I have not seen a single spy picture of it... If they are really bringing it out as i hope they do they did an excellent job covering it up.

[post="64777"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow, the pics have been all over the internet. Go to www.automobilemag.com.
They have the same picture of the concept Camaro that has been floating along
the internet. Or you can just wait till Jan 9th, as the Camaro concept will
be shown on a GM podcast. This is per Scott Stettlemeyer, the Fbodyfather. Edited by Mikko O

Wow, the pics have been all over the internet. Go to www.automobilemag.com.
They have the same picture of the concept Camaro that has been floating along
the internet. Or you can just wait till Jan 9th, as the Camaro concept will
be shown on a GM podcast. This is per Scott Stettlemeyer, the Fbodyfather.

[post="65165"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Automobile running that chop prototype image on their cover is horrible. And I think there is a reason those images are allowed around. The concept will be a much more complete look. Remember those images are just the clay mockups from a few attempts back.

The all-new Buick Enclave is the first of several full-size crossovers to be based on GM's new Lambda platform. The eight-passenger will utilize 3.9-liter V6

Strike 1! But I guess the 6 speed auto and hybrid are some redemption at least (Although I wish the hybrid were coming sooner)

Buick needs this vehicle to be a SUCCESS and it's needs it yesterday.

The second generation of Escalades was a smash hit for Cadillac. Now we'll see if the new models have the goods to repeat.

skepticism... not good.

No pictures are available,

:rolleyes:

• Chevrolet Tahoe Two-Mode Hybrid
While the new GM full-size SUVs showcase the latest in truck engineering, they also spearhead one of GM's approaches to hybrid technologies. Slated for production as a 2008 model, the new system uses a staged hybrid drive with one set of mechanicals optimized for lower speeds, and a second designed to improve economy at high speeds (something single-mode hybrids don't do very well). By focusing on popular vehicles that use a lot of fuel, GM's approach makes sense, as the fuel savings will be significant.

Thank god someone in the media finally woke up and gave GM credit for this!

As excited as the GM Powertrain folks were, we're expecting at least a 15-percent boost in economy for a price that undercuts all other hybrid SUVs on the market.

Merry Christmas you green.....people.....

Of course, I'm sure it's not as good as a Toyota because the bolts on the alternator aren't a high grade silver or something....

I don't understand why some of you are so negative toward pushrod motors. They are cheaper to build, reliable, less moving parts, lighter in weight and can produce similar milage. They are also cheaper to work on. Screw the press, as long as the HP and reliability is there who cares... honestly??

[post="65130"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The advantage of OHC over OHV is purely a marketing thing... The yuppie press likes them, so we must play the game in order to survive.

Same goes for BORING midsize sedans and useless multi gear automatics.

I couldn't find the exact quote, but over here it's pretty much confirmed (or not contested) that the Lambdas will get the HF engines as standard equipment. Back to the drawing board, Edmunds.

I couldn't find the exact quote, but over here it's pretty much confirmed (or not contested) that the Lambdas will get the HF engines as standard equipment. Back to the drawing board, Edmunds.

[post="65217"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Post #14 by me was a reffrence to information AH-HA was given at the press preview. If anything Edmunds should know that.

• Buick Enclave
The all-new Buick Enclave is the first of several full-size crossovers to be based on GM's new Lambda platform. The eight-passenger will utilize 3.9-liter V6 and 5.3-liter V8 engines (with the V8 featuring Displacement on Demand) and a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-drive and all-wheel-drive versions will be offered. A dual-mode hybrid is expected in 2009.

I think Edmunds engine source has dyslexia! Don't believe what you read. And the V8 will not be available at launch. Edited by evok

I think Edmunds engine source has dyslexia! Don't believe what you read. And the V8 will not be available at launch.

[post="65274"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks for confirming some people's doubts, evok.

Do you know if we will know anything about the UV8 when the Enclave and other Lambdas debut, or will we have to wait a while to find out about it? I think it's actually good that the V8 won't be there at launch because that will avoid any sort of overload of V8s like the SRX had when it debuted and no one wanted to spend the extra money for the V8.

Thanks for confirming some people's doubts, evok.

Do you know if we will know anything about the UV8 when the Enclave and other Lambdas debut, or will we have to wait a while to find out about it? I think it's actually good that the V8 won't be there at launch because that will avoid any sort of overload of V8s like the SRX had when it debuted and no one wanted to spend the extra money for the V8.

[post="65285"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The way I see it, it is not even worth mentioning the V8 engine at 06 NAIAS. And the hybrid, don't know where they got that one from. Edited by evok

The way I see it, it is not even worth mentioning the V8 engine at 06 NAIAS. And the hybrid, don't know where they got that one from.

[post="65287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

One word "Edmunds"

Don't mind me beating the bejezus out of them for a while, I do find it amusing how wrong so many sites are.