2006 NAIAS: Buick Enclave Concept

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a little chart I made showing how big the Enclave is:

Posted Image

The far right column is standard deviations above the mean. Over 1 SD above is quite a difference!

For general reference, the Park Avenue rides a 113.8"wb, is 74.7" wide, and 206.8" long.

Well, to all the doubting Thomas's out there, what have I been saying.  Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait!

I know it gets old.

But, as you are beginning to see first hand, the waiting is over.

The sleeping giant has awoken publically.

Enjoy as the rest of the best gets rolled out over the next few years.

Wagoner and Lutz were not a sleep at the helm...................

So evok, what kind of hope can you give me for the GMC Acadia?? Since the Enclave was pretty close to the Centimme, please tell me that the Acadia is NOT even close to the Graphyte. I couldn't stand the face on that concept. :wacko:

Great job Buick & GM. My wife definitely took notice of this tonight. She said that she wants one when the Envoy lease is up in the summer of 2008. :)

I love this Enclave, in every way. But when it comes out in a year, the FX's V6 will be a 3.7L at around 310HP. The RX's 3.5L will make more than 270HP, but less than the IS's 306HP. The TL makes 270HP right now, but the next one will get a small bump. That said, who cares if the Enclave won't be a HP leader. It's genuinely competitive at 270HP. And that's not where it's supposed to shine, anyway. I'm sure refinement, fit and finish, materials, and quiteness will all be class leading. That's what counts for the Enclave. And let's not forget the new 4.7L V8 coming.

Who is to say that GM's 3.6l is going to stand still in the next 15-18 months? We know that the 3.6l is slated to recieve DI at some point in the not-to-distant future.. and we also know that it pushes hp to the near-300hp levels as well. As it is, 270hp is still competitive. If you want to gather sales, you need to be competitive in ALL areas -- and that's something just about EVERY new GM vehicle has lacked. Sure, each vehicle is competitive in some way but they've also lacked in some way as well. This vehicle appears to be able to compete with the best, regardless of the chosen arena. A great time to be a GM fan. Let's hope that more vehicles are this complete!

if this is the direction buick is going, i really might start to consider them when i look for a sedan or suv...

and i'm 20, with two firebirds... haha a buick would fit right in  :blink:  :o

LOl. Yeah. I'm 27, and will probably get the next G. And right beside, the Enclave.

Well, to all the doubting Thomas's out there, what have I been saying.  Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait!

I know it gets old.

But, as you are beginning to see first hand, the waiting is over.

The sleeping giant has awoken publically.

Enjoy as the rest of the best gets rolled out over the next few years.

Wagoner and Lutz were not a sleep at the helm...................

this thing won't save Buick or GM. But, I know someone with a 20-point plan that can..............

For general reference, the Park Avenue rides a 113.8"wb, is 74.7" wide, and 206.8" long.

I bet you could get a Damn fine Deville off of Lambda. Notch the roof, give'r a trunk, a rear bench seat. Ta Da AWD Luxury Sedan!

Good job Buick! Love to know how they are going to price this thing....will it sit right on top of the Lucerne ($27-45)? Anyone know?

Are the Outlook or the Arcadia going to look significantly different? I hope so. Badge engineering could hurt the Buick, if its sitting in the same showroom as a GMC.

I'm like foaming at the mouth.  THIS is what a Buick should be!  That interior is GORGEOUS!

You are foaming at the mouth?

I'm CREAMING in my pants! :rolleyes:

If the Enclave is what we can expect from Lutz, then we as GM fans have a VERY bright future ahead of us!

I honestly cannot find one thing to complain about on this new SUV. I think the exterior is sexy and modern and the interior is what I think a modern Buick ought to be like with its bits of Lexus and bits of Benz.

Let's hope it drives as well as it looks......that the ride-and-handling compromise is perfected.....and that the 270hp version of the HF 3.6L V6 makes it to production.

Anyone on here know how close the concept is to the production Enclave? I'm hoping what we see is like 95% true-to-form.

What a BUICK! All I can say is......

......Premium American Motorcars......

The only thing that worries me is that all of the interior pics look very Photoshopped... The door panels on the passenger and driver's side don't match, and the gagues look really fake.

Nah....the different door panels is like what BMW and other manufacturers have started doing......(3-series.)

Even my C6 is the same way......different door panels from driver-side to passenger-side...

For years Buick has shown us some very sweet looking concept cars that have never made it into production.  So I am very wary when I see this Enclave. 

Rembemer the Velite, Centime, Lacrosse

Come on Buick start building some sweet vehicles

STOP TEASING

Velite, Centime, and LaCrosse (concept) were never shown in such production-ready form.....

I still can't believe I'm seeing something like this. Everything is just about there. You best bet designers, engineers and managers from Lincoln, Acura, Lexus, Volvo, etc. are running around their buildings like crazy trying to figure out how GM made such a stunning, STUNNING car.

I love the deep, rich brown color, too. Brown on the outside, two-tone tan on the inside is a beautiful and classy combination. I sincerely hope GM plans on bringing 80-90% of this to production. Anything less and it will simply be good enough, something GM does not need.

GMCSD is still alive, though, but everything else is so great I almost miss it.

This will probably be quite a heavy vehicle; considering that the Ford Edge is almost 4,100 lbs, I bet this will be at least 4,500 lbs. I don't think it will be particularly fast with than the 3.6.

I notice that the Enclave will be 4.5 inches wider than the Freestyle, 3.2 inches wider than the Edge, and 7.6 inches wider than the Equinox. It will be almost 11 inches taller than the Freestyle, 4 inches taller than the Edge, and about 1.7 inches taller than the Equinox. It's only 1.6 inches longer than the Freestyle.

I hope it's successful. I wonder how non-GM fans will judge it.

Bravo, Bravo. Beautiful vehicle and LOVE the color of it. I wonder if that'll b a color choice for production. Well looks like Buick is starting to build vehicles that we do dream of.

I hope it's successful.  I wonder how non-GM fans will judge it.

I've been scanning other forums. This CUV is getting universal praise. Even from the Honda die-hards and rice fanboys. Only the most stubborn are hating on it. And then, it's only the exterior. I have YET TO READ ONE NEGATIVE COMMENT ON THE EXTERIOR. The closest I've heard was, "Oh, another SUV (with the rolling eyes)." Yet, when the FJ Crusier was introduced, they're treating it like the second coming... so, you know how that goes. As far as the interior, I've ONLY READ ONE NEGATIVE COMMENT. And it was basically a hater saying it was "to complicated" and "over done," lol. Yet, the same guy loved all of the LS's buttons, LOL. Again, this is an absolute HOME RUN. B)

I have waited until now to post my repsonse to see if I still like this machine. I am thoroughly impressed with the exterior and interior of this machine. The interior----is nothing short of stunning and perfect in execution. I wish GM has the balls to release the accoutrements shown here as a special package. I also wish GM has the balls to sell this interior presented here, with all of the trim presented here, minus a couple of changes that won't affect it's overall presentation too much.

I am letdown by the exterior presence of this SUV versus the Centieme. The Centieme is getting a bit old now, but it's just more muscular, more tout, more artful, and slightly less feminine looking than this machine. I also am not a huge fan of the RX cues present in the front, though they don't detract at all, I just saw less of it in the Centieme.

The brown interior color is perfection--and should be used throughout Buick. The two tones of titanium and wood together are exquisite. I am flat wowed by this showing. The exterior is also beautiful, if only a little less so than the Centieme.

Best New Buick since the Park Ave.

Amazing... sexy, sleek and just about the only SUV/crossover outside of the FX45 & SRX that actaually gets me excited.

This thing is a winner. NOt as cool as the Camaro but great news for Buick. Makes the Lucerne look like a '91 Camry.

This thing is a winner. NOt as cool as the Camaro but great news for Buick. Makes the Lucerne look like a '91 Camry.

Wow, you summed it up for me. I really like the Lucerne, but I don't love it. It's to far off the mark is to many areas. This crossover is the pinnacle of lux crossovers, IMO. You know, it doens't GET any better than that. If Buick can manage to translate 90+%of the concept to the production version, it will be the STANDARD BEARER for the segment. Period. Okay, we know this is the end all of lux crossovers... time to get the rest of Buick lineup properly done!

Now thats a Buick!

My only worry is the term "concept", and how that translates to the production Enclave.

I hope what they mean by "concept" is what they said about the Solstice "concept".

The rear reminds me of a Touraeg (is this how you spell it?). Otherwise I'm happy with it. They really should have kept the Rendezvous name.

Also, they need to put a V8 under that and call it a Enclave Super.

Edited by ToniCipriani

I can see a lot of design cues that will translate directly to the Outlook, such as the vertical crease to the hood (just like the one in GD's Aura sig). Just to clarify how big this is compared to other crossovers I will repeat what I posted in the MKX thread:

The only crossovers even close to the Enclave concept in size are the Pacifica and Audi Q7. It's most comparable in size to the Tahoe/Yukon.

D/E-segment: (small to large)

>4600mm

RD-X

Chevrolet Captiva

Outlander (2007)

X5

CX-7

Santa Fe (2007)

>4700mm

RX330

Edge

Rendezvous

MKX

Murano

MDX

Equinox

E-segment

>4800mm

XC90

FX45

Tribeca

Endeavor

Territory

SRX

F-segment

>5000mm

Pacifica

Freestyle (much narrower)

Q7

>5100mm

Enclave

thegriffon: Do you think its size will work for it or against it with the public? Will the production Enclave change size? Is the potential Buick Theta crossover likely to be similar in style?

AFTERTHOUGHTS: I just finished reading the latest issue of autoextremist.com. Peter DeLorenzo says, "This vehicle is too important to the division and to GM itself to let it languish behind the Saturn Outlook in the corporation's predetermined launch cadence. It's that good." So my questions are: 1) What is the chance that GM will move up the launch date of the production Buick Enclave? and 2) Given the tremendous positive reaction to this vehicle, how close will the production version be - or is that set in stone even at this moment?

AFTERTHOUGHTS ON 1/12: The Buick Enclave concept is the new (1/12) topic at the GM FastLane blog site. Please do as I did and post some supportive and encouraging feedback for Buick and GM. The Enclave merits it!

Edited by wildcat

thegriffon:

AFTERTHOUGHTS ON 1/12:  The Buick Enclave concept is the new (1/12) topic at the GM FastLane blog site.  Please do as I did and post some supportive and encouraging feedback for Buick and GM.  The Enclave merits it!

What's the fastlane web address?

Thanks for the link, wildcat. The video is very interesting; he said the V6 will make 280-300 HP and that none of their V8s will fit - yet (the UV8 must be compact). He was also very encouraging about the interior, saying that the leather on the center stack will survive as will most everything else except for the multiple TVs and the wood on the sunglasses holder.

Given customer preferences for large minivans I don't think the Enclave will be too big, especially with the interior room offered. Weight and fuel economy will be bigger issues than size, however the luxury crossover segment has certainkly favored smaller vehicles like the RX330 and X5 over larger models.

Lutz has already said the production model will debut this year instead of next.

Given customer preferences for large minivans I don't think the Enclave will be too big, especially with the interior room offered. Weight and fuel economy will be bigger issues than size, however the luxury crossover segment has certainkly favored smaller vehicles like the RX330 and X5 over larger models.

Lutz has already said the production model will debut this year instead of next.

Really?! This year! Thanks for the good news. :lol:

can you show us where he says this