Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

stop the bs

Supra

(original) MR2

Like it or not, the Prius was a technological marvel.

True enough. I liked the 4Runner, at least the last 2 generations. They had some solid off-road credentials. I liked the Land Cruiser before it became a hefty Range Rover wannabe.

My problem with Toyota has been their arrogant advertising, and this image they've built up about never breaking down. Than and for the last decade or so their cars have been getting increasingly dull and increasingly ugly for the most part. That and the slipping quality ad the cover ups. That doesn't make everything they've ever made junk.

True enough. I liked the 4Runner, at least the last 2 generations. They had some solid off-road credentials. I liked the Land Cruiser before it became a hefty Range Rover wannabe.

Those classic Land Cruisers are pretty awesome, even the more recent ones up until the last gen were pretty handsome. The one one is ugly, but it can still do the job.

There's a reason why they still use these old things all over the world.

131_0612_07_z+1965_toyota_fj45_land_cruiser+front_view.jpg

There is a very good reason Land Cruisers are the vehicles of choice for the Taliban.

Now there's an endorsement!

Toyota: Official truck of illiterate fanatics worldwide.

2000GT

Yep, that stuff from the 60's and 70's was all awful.

Rip-off design, miniscule sales, forgetable performance...

Just about every brand has managed to built something I'd want somewhere along the line, except for Toyota.

If every last one were to be crushed, I wouldn't miss any of them.

Cool...I would pretty much agree...

Balthy, I borrowed your list to post on another forum. Hope that's ok. :)

Let's get the word out!

Toyota: Official truck of illiterate fanatics worldwide.

You mean its doing well in NASCAR for a change...the Tundra?

Balthy, I borrowed your list to post on another forum. Hope that's ok. :)

'Get the word out' is right- post away!!

I would love for a dedicated thread listing toyoyo recalls / service campaigns along the line I started: date of recall, models, quantity effected. The press tends to gloss over- stating partial truths like 'With 4 millions cars recalled recently...' - letting millions of others skate free.

If I may make a quasi-reference; I believe most young folk would say 6 million were killed in the Holocaust, because that it the number most often quoted. Why should the other 5 million be unrecognized?

In the interest of public safety & education ;) the running total of toyota's quality & engineering lapses should become public knowledge. And that number is north of 15 million, not 3 or 4 or 5 million.

I think it would be cool if the site could some how offer this as a public service...as bright as Oldsmoboi and the rest are...we we could get the recall list into the right internet search engine...hmmm.that being said..I don't have a lot of time to donate to the project...but...

My problem with Toyota has been their arrogant advertising, and this image they've built up about never breaking down. Than and for the last decade or so their cars have been getting increasingly dull and increasingly ugly for the most part. That and the slipping quality ad the cover ups. That doesn't make everything they've ever made junk.

Agreed.

Toyotas fail to appeal to me on an emotional level, which is why, while I can respect some of the more impressive or simply performance-minded products they've built (MR2, Celica, Supra, LF-A, FT-86, etc.), I could never own one. The slipping quality (and corporate attitude) is also a big factor as well. Why I would spend a good sum of money on a product that is clearly of inferior quality when I know there are more competent automakers who are just as willing to sell me a car?

EDIT: Both the Celica and Hilux were terrible rust-buckets.

As were the S-10 and Camaro of the '80s.

Edited by whiteknight

• 3 years later...

You people are just biased. Foreign cars for years have always had a better relibility then american. Yes I like Buicks and they are good cars. But fact is fact and american cars are not built to the same quality as a forgien brand.

Whoopsie... looks like Consumer Reports disagrees with you.