They're Back! GMPD to work again on SS models

hyperv6

The death of GMPD has been greatly exaggerated! They are now back to work on some new SS models for the Cruze and Aveo line up.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/report-gm-high-performance-division-put-back-to-work-focus-on/

I suspect they are also involved with the ATS V and GS that are coming too. These guys do it right and it will be interesting to see what they can do with a new Cruze many of their people were already tuning the standard suspension vs have to fix the old Cobalt one.

These guys are good and worry less on stickers and more on hardware, the right hardware.

• Agree 1

gallery_1376_2_39017.jpg

Chevrolet Aveo Concept

In early 2009, General Motors announced it would be putting all high-performance vehicle projects on indefinite hold, citing that the engineering team responsible for these power-happy cars would be moved to different areas within the company. Since then, the only new performance models to come out of GM have been the CTS-V Coupe and Sport Wagon, leaving a huge void in the General's affordable small performance portfolio. The Chevrolet Cobalt SS and HHR SS were discontinued, and the demise of Pontiac and Saturn did away with any GXP and Red Line products.

However, all of this may change in the not-too-distant future. Automotive News reports that Jim Campbell, GM's vice president of performance vehicles and motorsports, has said his company has a tremendous opportunity for new performance entries in the small and compact car markets. This means we should expect higher-output versions of the new Chevrolet Cruze, as well as the upcoming redesigned Aveo - and not just trims that look quick, but go quick too.

We already got a taste of a hotter Aveo in concept form (pictured), and we certainly wouldn't mind a more enthusiastic Cruze, especially since GM still has that 260-horsepower 2.0-liter Ecotec turbocharged four-cylinder engine laying around. We certainly didn't hate the Cobalt SS (far from it), and we think this mill could do wonders in the larger Cruze. What's your vision of the next small performance car from GM? Let us know in the comments.

Source: Autoblog

Many things were just put on the shelf over the last year or so. Now is the time to open some of them back up. The Z28 was not the only thing selved.

I just loved how some just kept gut wrenching because they only thought dull were comeing from GM.

Time to understand there is a lot more you do not know about the new GM vs the old. They are just not going to give you 5 year plans or more like they used too.

While ever car is not going to be something you want in your garage it may well fit into many others well. Along the way I think we all will have our favorites.

This move had been coming I just did not know the time line. To be honest I did not expect it till later. It is welcome new.

These guys are good and will do much for GM's image. If they can make a respectable performance vehicle out of a Trailblazer, HHR and Cobalt just think what they can do with a modern plaform. No more excuses for bad interiors and old styling.

I know first hand what they can do so little to start with so I see this as very good news.

Well... a 1.4 liter Turbo four uprated to 170hp/175 lb-ft may be an nice power plant for the Aveo SS. Upgrading the turbo to a unit similar to the Garrett GT15-48 and going to premium fuel will do just that without changing the engine's internals. This also happens to fit right under the torque limit of the 6T40 automatic (177 lb-ft). 0~60 will be in the 6.0~6.3 sec range, not exactly Supercar fast, but definitely segment leading. A 2600 lbs Aveo will also probably out handle a VW GTI, which for all intents and purposes is good enough. We can also expect mileage numbers at least similar to the heavier Cruze 1.4T's 28/40 mpg. Again, more than good enough.

Well... a 1.4 liter Turbo four uprated to 170hp/175 lb-ft may be an nice power plant for the Aveo SS. Upgrading the turbo to a unit similar to the Garrett GT15-48 and going to premium fuel will do just that without changing the engine's internals. This also happens to fit right under the torque limit of the 6T40 automatic (177 lb-ft). 0~60 will be in the 6.0~6.3 sec range, not exactly Supercar fast, but definitely segment leading. A 2600 lbs Aveo will also probably out handle a VW GTI, which for all intents and purposes is good enough. We can also expect mileage numbers at least similar to the heavier Cruze 1.4T's 28/40 mpg. Again, more than good enough.

That is the target. This is a performance car that is for daily driving. Handling will be like the Cobalt SS and HHR SS where they tune it to drive as well on back uneven roads as will as the black lake in Warren. Too often the GM cars of the past were killer on the proving grounds but never took to the back roads as they should. GMPD has learned a lot and uses this in theit tuning.

One thing that you should note is this car will be Premium Recomended. GM on all Chevy exspecally the lower price cars use this formula. The computer will take add power if they use the better fuel. It usally amounts to about 15-20 HP.

I had a long talk with a Brand Manager on this at Chevy. They like to give the option to the owner that way it will not prevent someone from buying this car. It may only be 5-15 cents a gallon but often it prevents many form seeing the big picture and not buy the car.

GM also could offer a Turbo upgrade as they have with the 2.0 and if the owner wants it added he can change to Premium Required and retain the full warranty with an added Power. My SS went from 235 in first and second gear to 290 HP. If they can put a better tanny in or better manage the torque managment it too can make a good add on sale for GM as the Upgrade has with the 2.0.

The 6T40 in the Buick is at 182 FT LBs is there more than one 6T40? The Buick is not on the limit and I know the 40 is stronger than the 45.

It would stretch the imagination if a 3-door Aveo Sport model were produced, but a stinkin' 5 DOOR? That prospect has very little credibility. And a Cruze sport sedan? HO.HUM.

IF I AM GOING TO BE FORCED INTO CRAPBOXES THEY AT LEAST NEED TO PROJECT THE FAINTEST HINT OF SPORTINESS IN THE BODYSTYLE.:angry:

I support a performance division, but why are they working on garbage like the Aveo or the Cruze? Why not put them to work on vehicles with rear wheel drive.

Like the Colorado or Tahoe? The CTS-V is already done... no other RWD left.

I support a performance division, but why are they working on garbage like the Aveo or the Cruze? Why not put them to work on vehicles with rear wheel drive.

read anywhere, the cruze is best in class and i have no doubts that the aveo will beat out most in its segment aswell, a performance model(as long as it is actual performance(no more malibu SS's with a 3.9)) we should happy for

And that's the problem.

FWD econo-rockets are fine for some, but to me, they are just perfume on a goat.

There is nothing that anyone could do to an Aveo, Cruze, or Regal to make those cars enticing to me.

I need another option.

I don't know about you, but I really would have liked to see a Malibu SS of the current generation. Give it the 3.6 in 305hp form, AWD, and 6-speed manual or auto. Revised front and rear facia, lower ride height......

make mine black please.

I don't know about you, but I really would have liked to see a Malibu SS of the current generation. Give it the 3.6 in 305hp form, AWD, and 6-speed manual or auto. Revised front and rear facia, lower ride height......

make mine black please.

V-6<Turbo<V_8

a 2.0T would probably be better than a 3.6.

make mine black please.

I could respect such a car.

Not for me, but an ok thing as an SS.

ATS-V

6th gen Camaro SS and/or Z28

eventual civilian Caprice - heck, why not throw all the Holden Zetas on there as potential recipients of the GMPD treatment.

There isn't much RWD left, which is a problem, but there is still the CTS, Camaro, Corvette, and upcoming alpha platform. I'd next look to AWD cars like the Regal for performance versions, because at least they can make something to compete with Acura or a car like the Evo or WRX. They can do a Cruze, but the Cobalt SS didn't really set the world on fire, there is only so much you can do with an econocar and keep it at a low price that will appeal to the tuner car/hot hatch market.

What part of the Alpha is not here yet do you guys not get?

There is RWD coming and AWD is a option on the table if they can get people to pay the money. o matter what they need a car to build and these are not on the market for a little while yet. what better than to let them work the magic on the cars that are about to come out and make most of the money GM needs.

The Alpha will make money but the Cruze and Aveo need to be the profit center. This is the class that sells a lot of cars and GM needs to make money with them. The RWD are just frosting on the cake But if they fail GM will not fail. The Cruze is more improtant than any GM car coming in the near future including the Volt.

The Cobalt would have done better on a newer car with a better interior. They took an old car fixed the mechanical end and really did not market it. Same for the HHR SS. I still get people who think I built it.

Edited by hyperv6

i WOULD be interested in a car like that. 140hp, pass, but 170...and light weight, let's talk.

my biggest gripe on the past performance models was the huge price difference it took to get one over the median model.

instead of 7-10 grand price spreads on a basic vehicle for the performance goodies, can we just look at say 3 grand for a modest but noticeable improvement?

example, maybe a cruze SS at 28 grand is nice, but i think a Cruze RS at 22k with a 180-200hp four pot and euro tuned suspension and quicker steering would sell a lot more and build more of a fan base than a 300hp awd too expensive one.

as an example. Lancer evos don't sell a bunch. the WRX sold a lot when it was affordable. as recently as 3 years ago you could still buy a WRX closer to 20 grand rather than 30.

Edited by regfootball

it says 277 FT LBS on GMI

what's GMI? lol

It would stretch the imagination if a 3-door Aveo Sport model were produced, but a stinkin' 5 DOOR? That prospect has very little credibility. And a Cruze sport sedan? HO.HUM.

IF I AM GOING TO BE FORCED INTO CRAPBOXES THEY AT LEAST NEED TO PROJECT THE FAINTEST HINT OF SPORTINESS IN THE BODYSTYLE.:angry:

Astra GTC 3 door here as a Buick?

I think cruze deserves a coupe, verano/astra a 3 door., aveo should consider a 3 door too.

SPARK GXP

GMC Granite Denali

make mine black please.

current one as an SS would be cool. but based on the most recent next gen spy shots the malibu appears to be heading towards snoozer lame/lane.

no wonder they are making the cruze the performance sedan. the next malibu is starting to look like it has dull written all over it. you either have to afford the buicks now or go for the cruze ss.

Fine by me, as long as there is more to come.

I'm dying to see something interesting coming down the pipeline for a change.

no oracle of delphi to pop in on this one?

Edited by regfootball

Sad.

I'll believe in Alpha when I see it..it's still just talk and rumour at this point...

• Agree 1

I can see them dropping the 2.0L turbo in the Cruze, and yes I have heard they are working on a two door Cruze, might even see it at the Detroit auto show in January. I would like an Aveo to have about 170hp. for the Aveo you could always use the 2.4L ecotec maybe. I like that new Aveo, especially the Sedan version. I wish it was out now because im ready to replace my 03 Cavalier, I might end up finding a left over Cobalt or buying the current Aveo. the current Aveo would be a better car than the Cavalier, haha. atleast it wouldnt shake like a leaf in a windstorm at highway speeds...

here is the high performance products id like to see and the engines that should be used..

Cruze.. 2.0L turbo ecotec

Aveo.. 2.4L DOHC ecotec

Regal.. 2.0L turbo ecotec

Malibu. 3.6L dohc turbo/supercharged

Equinox 3.6L dohc V6

• Agree 1

Forget the 2.4 in the Aveo It will see either a juiced up Turbo 1.4 or 2.0. The tuners will love the turbo as it make them much eaiser to modifiy. The guys on the HHR web site with the SS are in the 11's but the 2.4 guys can figure out how to pick up a .5 second with out spending a lot of money.

Also foreget the supercharger on the 3.6 The Bu would run fine if they can just add the 305 or the newer 3.6 to this car. It already is better than any 3800 SC out. If you want force fed than use the turbo V6 out of the Cadillac.

I would like to see a 3.6 in the Nox as an option even with out the SS.

Sad.

I'll believe in Alpha when I see it..it's still just talk and rumour at this point...

You want a RWD and GM is testing them already under a CTS body. What more do you want. Take it or leave it but stop complaining, save it for if they do stop the program.

Or better yet wait as you will find something to complain about once it gets here anyway.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

dwight, where do you find info on the transmissions like that?

http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2010/gmna/10car_us.htm

Look under Hydramatic 6T40 (it's a .xls file, so if you don't have microsoft Excel you are out of luck).

The 6T40 in the Buick is at 182 FT LBs is there more than one 6T40? The Buick is not on the limit and I know the 40 is stronger than the 45.

No, the 2.4 liter (LAF) engine in the Buicks is 182 HP @ 6700 rpm, 172 lb-ft @ 4900 rpm.

On the 2.0 T, 3.0 or 3.6 they use the 6T70 transmission which can handle up to 280 lb-ft.

laf.jpg

Forget the 2.4 in the Aveo It will see either a juiced up Turbo 1.4 or 2.0. The tuners will love the turbo as it make them much eaiser to modifiy. The guys on the HHR web site with the SS are in the 11's but the 2.4 guys can figure out how to pick up a .5 second with out spending a lot of money.

Also foreget the supercharger on the 3.6 The Bu would run fine if they can just add the 305 or the newer 3.6 to this car. It already is better than any 3800 SC out. If you want force fed than use the turbo V6 out of the Cadillac.

I would like to see a 3.6 in the Nox as an option even with out the SS.

BTW, the 3.6 is "actually" 312hp as is. This is the new rating for the 2011 Camaro V6, but there is absolutely no difference between it and the 304hp engine in the 2010 car. No change, zero, nada, zilch. The 304hp rating was an estimate and wasn't officially SAE certified. When GM actually did the performance certification on the engine it came back 8hp.stronger than they estimated. So they decided to advertise the certified rating for 2011.

There is no way GM will offer a Nitrous Oxide option. It is illegal (for road use anyway); it'll be like GM offering a removable catalytic converter. Technically, it is legal if you only remove it on the sand dunes or whatever, but no automaker is going to offer that!

Since we are talking fiction, this is how I'll do it:-

• Aveo SS -- 1.4T VVT (170 hp @ 5300 rpm, 175 lb-ft @ 2200~5200 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Recommended)
  • Cruze SS -- 2.0T DI-VVT (270 hp @ 6100 rpm, 234 lb-ft @ 2000~6000 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Recommended)
  • Regal SS -- 2.8T VVT (325 hp @ 5250 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2250~5250 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Required)
  • Malibu SS -- 2.8T VVT (325 hp @ 5250 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2250~5250 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Required)
  • Equinox SS -- 2.8T VVT (325 hp @ 5250 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2250~5250 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Required)
  • Traverse SS -- 2.8T VVT (325 hp @ 5250 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2250~5250 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Required)

The key here is that all the above engines are currently in production within GM's global portfolio.

The 1.4T is simply an 138hp Cruze engine with the boost turned up (OK a bigger turbo is ideal, but not exactly required)

The 2.0T is the Cobalt SS. I prefer a tune with a lower maximum torque stretched over a wider plateau for FWD cars (but that's just boost mapping & tuning)

The 2.8T is the engine GM currently sells in Europe on the Opel Insignia OPC with exactly those ratings (Insignia = Regal; same car)

When what you already have is good enough, work with it. I'll rather see the 2.8T (no DI) in the SS versions of the Epsilon cars than GM going off and developing a DI 3.0T with 20 more hp, 2 years delay and a $3000 premium. At some point, good enough is good enough.

Since we are talking fiction, this is how I'll do it:-

• Aveo SS -- 1.4T VVT (170 hp @ 5300 rpm, 175 lb-ft @ 2200~5200 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Recommended)
  • Cruze SS -- 2.0T DI-VVT (270 hp @ 6100 rpm, 234 lb-ft @ 2000~6000 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Recommended)
  • Regal SS -- 2.8T VVT (325 hp @ 5250 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2250~5250 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Required)
  • Malibu SS -- 2.8T VVT (325 hp @ 5250 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2250~5250 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Required)
  • Equinox SS -- 2.8T VVT (325 hp @ 5250 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2250~5250 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Required)
  • Traverse SS -- 2.8T VVT (325 hp @ 5250 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2250~5250 rpm, 6300 rpm rev limit, 91 Oct Required)

Don't forget a Spark SS. And the Regal wouldn't have an 'SS', but instead the GS that's in the works.

There is no way GM will offer a Nitrous Oxide option. It is illegal (for road use anyway); it'll be like GM offering a removable catalytic converter. Technically, it is legal if you only remove it on the sand dunes or whatever, but no automaker is going to offer that!

Sorry to go OT, but outside of a few jurisdictions, why is NOS illegal for road use? Its just another form of forced induction. A few people out there are burning biodiesel, Propane, water/methanol injection... even woodgas. Why not laughing gas? Granted, what it does may result in legal violations (Speeding, Exhibit of Speed, Burnouts), but not the Nitrous Oxide. Granted, its not really CARB certified... but a lot of stuff don't fall under that.

I agree that the automakers would never install it... its too risky from a PR standpoint and from a warranty standpoint.

I also agree that he was talking about the Equinox. ;-)

What part of perfume on a goat don't you get?

For some of us, none of these cars have any appeal whatsoever - no matter how quick they might be.

They are too small, too ugly, have too many doors, and have a basic configuration that disqualifies them from consideration.

It's pretty simple.

What part of perfume on a goat don't you get?

For some of us, none of these cars have any appeal whatsoever - no matter how quick they might be.

They are too small, too ugly, have too many doors, and have a basic configuration that disqualifies them from consideration.

It's pretty simple.

I suspect even the Alpha will not be enough for you anymore.

You used to be able to post positive things on cars you would not buy. It would be nice to see that again.

Not trying to dog you but I would like to see the old Camaino again. :thumbsup:

NOS/NOX/WTF is drag racer stuff...no way would an OEM offer it as a factory option. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Relax no one said it was going to happen. Someone confused a X with an S and made a mistake, nothing more.

Edited by hyperv6

BTW, the 3.6 is "actually" 312hp as is. This is the new rating for the 2011 Camaro V6, but there is absolutely no difference between it and the 304hp engine in the 2010 car. No change, zero, nada, zilch. The 304hp rating was an estimate and wasn't officially SAE certified. When GM actually did the performance certification on the engine it came back 8hp.stronger than they estimated. So they decided to advertise the certified rating for 2011.

I know the HP game GM was playing as it is old news that was reported a few months back. I have yet to see a 2011 yet so I just use the lower number yet.

FYI Nitrous is NOS not NOX. Thanks to the others who explained and understood!

Also NOS is still legal in most areas but illegal in some for road use. There is a lot of legal wrangling on this now with SEMA and some cities/states. Just a trivia note GM did think and came close to making it a dealer installed option for the Monte SS in the 80's. Finally someone in legal woke them up to all the warranty and other issues involved.

I suspect even the Alpha will not be enough for you anymore.

You used to be able to post positive things on cars you would not buy. It would be nice to see that again.

Not trying to dog you but I would like to see the old Camaino again. :thumbsup:

I'm afraid it will never be 1985 again no matter how much Camino wishes it would be.

I on the other hand, want affordable, modern largish 4000lb RWD V8 cars like the Camaro and late G8, regardless of the # of doors, preferably w/ manual transmission available. A civilian version of the Caprice PPV is something I would seriously consider buying.

I refuse to be one of the masses and buy FWD when I have no need for FWD.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1985?

No, not a chance.

Hyper, there just isn't anything positive to say about such cars from my perspective. I can't be a cheerleader like you are and be honest about it.

Frankly, I really don't care how "important" the Cruze is for GM - I expect more, and it isn't there at the moment.