Honda Fit sticker starts at $14,400

Northstar

Kathy Jackson | | Automotive News / March 21, 2006

http://autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...G/60320009/1003

LOS ANGELES –- The Honda Fit subcompact hatchback goes on sale April 20 at a base price of $14,400, including the $550 destination charge.

The Fit will be Honda’s first B-segment car sold in this county and replaces the Civic as Honda’s entry-level car. It competes against cars such as the Toyota Yaris and Scion lineup, Chevrolet Aveo and upcoming Nissan Versa.

The base Fit is equipped with a 109-hp, 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine with a five-speed manual transmission. Other standard equipment includes side-curtain airbags, anti-lock brakes and an audio system that works with iPod players.

A Fit sport model, with a rear spoiler, aero body kit, fog lights and 15-inch aluminum alloy wheels sells for $15,720 including destination.

-----------------------------------------------------

Seems a little pricey for a subcompact, no? You can get a base Cobalt for $12,990, or an Aveo for $10k.

Well, I'm not impressed by the car that much--think it's ugly. Overpriced, however, in this class to have standard side curtain airbags and an available 5-speed auto, well, that's a plus.

A Fit sport model, with a rear spoiler, aero body kit, fog lights and 15-inch aluminum alloy wheels sells for $15,720 including destination.

I'd rather have a Cobalt for that price and keep my dignity.

Edited by Sixty8panther

I'd rather have a Cobalt for that price and keep my dignity.

But you risk developing Cavalier-syndrome by going with the Cobalt (you know, everything breaks, car flips over for no reason, etc etc). Not worth it if you ask me 8)

But you risk developing Cavalier-syndrome by going with the Cobalt (you know, everything breaks, car flips over for no reason, etc etc). Not worth it if you ask me  8)

Plenty of retarded kids crash burn & flip their Hondas, Acuras & Mazdas here in L-town and surrounding area, but I've yet to see a Cobalt shiny side down.

Plenty of retarded kids crash burn & flip their Hondas, Acuras & Mazdas here in L-town and surrounding area, but I've yet to see a Cobalt shiny side down.

The thing is, the guys flipping their Civics are driving like idiots. The cavaliers flip for no reason.... :P

The Cobalts are new, give it time...

Btw, I'm not being entirely sarcastic.

But you risk developing Cavalier-syndrome by going with the Cobalt (you know, everything breaks, car flips over for no reason, etc etc). Not worth it if you ask me  8)

Dude at work had like 230,000 miles on his mid-90's Cavalier, and he bragged about how he never really got many oil changes.

He wanted to get something newer, so he ended up getting a Kia Spectra. :duh: I'm willing to bet he won't get 230,000 miles out of it.

Jeeses, two weeks ago i spent all sorts of time explaining why the Fit is a waste. that's before I even saw the price, and now I am convinced its a bigger rip off than ever. No style, no substance, no power. too much $$$$$.

Well, God bless Honda if they get enough dumbasses to fork over 15 large for 100 horsepower and a crackerbox frame and cheesy dash.

Want a fuel sipper, get a Yaris, you'll save money and its far cooler. The quality of the Yaris compared to the Fit is immensely different.

Want the sporty tall box? Aerio. 50 more hp, less money, more fun, more solid, handles great. Or, go cheaper and get a Reno or Forenza wagon for the same horsepower.

Just want a compact with decent mpg and better all around for probably less money? Cobalt, Focus. A basic G6 is only about a grand more.

Aveo is much less expensive. The 07 is quite improved.

Versa, Sentra. Accent. Rio.

Base PT. Base Caliber. Base HHR.

Just need to carry stuff? A base FWD outlander will hold more, go faster and likely cost as much and is not a crackerbox.

Edited by regfootball

Jeeses, two weeks ago i spent all sorts of time explaining why the Fit is a waste. 

Oh please explain again, I can't seem to find any factual posts not full of complete opinion and sarcasm.

get a Yaris

Quote of the month! :stupid:

The thing is, the guys flipping their Civics are driving like idiots. The cavaliers flip for no reason....  :P

The Cobalts are new, give it time...

Btw, I'm not being entirely sarcastic.

And Toyota's sludge their oil for what reason? Anything but the defect Toyota won't fess up too?

Uh, no thanks, I'll go to the local Enterprise retail shop and get an Impala or Fusion former rental car for the same price.

A former rental car? Are you aware of how people treat rental cars? :blink:

Come on now, the Fit isn't that bad.

Dude at work had like 230,000 miles on his mid-90's Cavalier, and he bragged about how he never really got many oil changes.

He wanted to get something newer, so he ended up getting a Kia Spectra.  :duh: I'm willing to bet he won't get 230,000 miles out of it.

I noticed usually with those cavs (95-05) the motors will last longer than the car

itself does...

A friend of mine drives an 03 Cavalier, which now has 215,000 miles on it....

THough I wouldn't rag too hard on Kia though, a neighbor down the street from me

has 02 Rio with almost 140k on it, and he beats it pretty hard...and has had almost no problems with it...

A former rental car?  Are you aware of how people treat rental cars?  :blink:

Yeah, but Impys can take the abuse...I know a few co-workers who picked up an Impy like that, and neither one has had an issue yet...

Usually Cavaliers take the heat too...unless it flips over.. :(:lol:

I noticed usually with those cavs (95-05) the motors will last longer than the car

itself does...

A friend of mine drives an 03 Cavalier, which now has 215,000 miles on it....

THough I wouldn't rag too hard on Kia though, a neighbor down the street from me

has 02 Rio with almost 140k on it, and he beats it pretty hard...and has had almost no problems with it...

Has can someone put 215,000 miles on a car in 3 years?

A former rental car?  Are you aware of how people treat rental cars?  :blink:

Actually, it's usually a good bet. Enterprise only retails their great examples. The rest get shoved off to auction.

They get oil changes on schedule. They are cleaned and washed regularly. If you buy something like a Bonneville or Aurora... it's usually Edgar and Mable Blue Hair or Mr. TRaveling salesman the rent those

My parenets did that twice and got incredible deals on slightly used Bonneville and Aurora.

Overpriced, especially for already being several years old.

well, eloquently said, 'AND THAT TOO!'

this whole FIT fiasco is honda speculating the US market off of favorable otherworld press only.

This is like the Mazda 5 (which BTW is a much better box). Honda, like mazda, is taking the chance on federalizing what will be a really low volume model for them here, at a price more expensive than it should be, but knowing that they will snag 10,000-20,000 buyers who want the unique Asian product 'from the other side of the pond'. We don't know if they will make money on it but these are exactly the sort of niche products which will generate buzz from the owners and take a few sales away from competitors. The uniqueness of them are image builders and i guess that contributes to 'building a brand'. Honda will do this with their motorcycles also. At least the Fit fits into their mold of past products like older Civics. I'll at least give Mazda credit on the 5, it does fill a market void with the sliding doors (old Expo and Axxess owners are jumping for joy). But Mazda would have served the masses better by bringing the all new MPV over here as well then, also.

next mazda mpv

To me they should have waited for the next gen Fit, or, they should have made it at least 130hp for the US Market and kept the price down. But really, to me this just shows their failure to offer the new Civic in a useful hatchback form, which is what folks really want. Instead, they take the Civic upmarket as some sort of 'starter luxury car' (which its not by the way) and so it goes.

Of course, there's a lot of morons out there. Folks will pay more for a Mazda3 than a Mazda 6, and probably some more morons are paying more for their new Civics than they would a similarly equipped 4 cyl. Accord. Oh well.

Edited by regfootball

"Hi.  I'd like to have a Fit, please." :rolleyes:

:CG_all:

My GF has a Cavilier and it's been an excellent car! Utilitarian, but excellent.

As for the Fit and Yaris: 1) I love how EVERYONE is pretty much brushing the Aveo off now since this new trio (including the Versa) has shown up. Most of the time it isn't even mentioned as a competitor, the press are already thinking that no one will even consider it. 2) They'll sell every Fit they make simply because it's a Honda and if the press keep the full court charge on for this car like they have for ALL of Honda as of late, it'll do well.

27,500 miles on ours with no problems. Not even a squeek. Can't say that for my parents scion.

I think it's overpriced, but there is enough idiots out there that think if it's made in Japan it must be better.

Honda, like mazda, is taking the chance on federalizing what will be a really low volume model for them here, at a price more expensive than it should be, but knowing that they will snag 10,000-20,000 buyers who want the unique Asian product 'from the other side of the pond'.  We don't know if they will make money on it but these are exactly the sort of niche products which will generate buzz from the owners and take a few sales away from competitors.

.... The Fit isn't designed to be a niche vehicle, but rather the entry level vehicle to Honda's lineup, now that the Civic has moved up some more. The Fit will definately sell a lot more than you think, but I'm not going to speculate right now. I'll just say that 10-20k cars is a very low number for any car, and is roughly what the RL sells right now at its lowest point.

$13,850 MSRP is just that, a suggested dealer retail price of $13,850, plus $550 destination. Depending on your area, the window price will probably vary from $13,000 to $14,400 for the base models.

To me they should have waited for the next gen Fit, or, they should have made it at least 130hp for the US Market and kept the price down.

Stop with the "need more horsepower!" already. These cars are just fine with their 100hp numbers.

Instead, they take the Civic upmarket as some sort of 'starter luxury car' (which its not by the way) and so it goes.

Starter luxury car???? Do you even hear yourself talk (or type, I guess)? A starter luxury car is the RSX or TSX. Despite more features, the Civic is still a Civic.

My GF has a Cavilier and it's been an excellent car! Utilitarian, but excellent.

As for the Fit and Yaris: 1) I love how EVERYONE is pretty much brushing the Aveo off now since this new trio (including the Versa) has shown up. Most of the time it isn't even mentioned as a competitor, the press are already thinking that no one will even consider it. 2) They'll sell every Fit they make simply because it's a Honda and if the press keep the full court charge on for this car like they have for ALL of Honda as of late, it'll do well.

the new 07 Aveos interior BLOWS away the chimpokemon interior haggardry on the fit.

.... The Fit isn't designed to be a niche vehicle, but rather the entry level vehicle to Honda's lineup, now that the Civic has moved up some more. The Fit will definately sell a lot more than you think, but I'm not going to speculate right now. I'll just say that 10-20k cars is a very low number for any car, and is roughly what the RL sells right now at its lowest point.

$13,850 MSRP is just that, a suggested dealer retail price of $13,850, plus $550 destination. Depending on your area, the window price will probably vary from $13,000 to $14,400 for the base models.

Stop with the "need more horsepower!" already. These cars are just fine with their 100hp numbers.

Starter luxury car???? Do you even hear yourself talk (or type, I guess)? A starter luxury car is the RSX or TSX. Despite more features, the Civic is still a Civic.

again, my point is the FIT is useless. The US deserves a base Civic in lieu of the FIT. The Civic should not 'move up'. US buyers would see much more benefit in a base Civic at the same prices, with its chassis and engine more appropriate to the US. Awhile ago a poster commented on how the Fit doesn't get any better mpg than the old Civic HF's etc. And the Civics were bigger and had more hp and space. Honda is trying to turn the Civic into some kind of aspirational car for dolts just out of college who can't get the BMWM3 (or daddy didn't get for them) they expected to get by the time they were 23. The Civic is no longer an 'everyman's car'.....its a young punks car. Honda's alienated a lot of the mass market with it.

Its so funny, I have seen a lot of the new civics on the road, but ALL OF THEM are being driven by young punks. There's no mature owner base for the new civic design. At least I see Mazda 3's being driven by all age groups.

Edited by regfootball

Its ugly and $2,000 overpriced-similar money buys a larger, more powerful, even semi-controversial Caliber. And the Aveo HB sedan is still probably a better car.

again, my point is the FIT is useless.

You aren't very good at getting your point across (comparing sub compacts to SUV's doesn't cut it)

US buyers would see much more benefit in a base Civic at the same prices, with its chassis and engine more appropriate to the US.

Wait, didn't you just say in the previous post that hatchbacks were more useful and what "folks really want"? Now the sedan is more appropriate?

Awhile ago a poster commented on how the Fit doesn't get any better mpg than the old Civic HF's etc. And the Civics were bigger and had more hp and space.

Lol. I don't suppose that old Civic HF came with side impact air bags or any of the other features the Fit comes standard with that older cars don't. Emissions and safety regulations make newer cars heavier and harder to get better mileage. There are old Civic VX's which get over 50mpg real world. They are very bare bones, 2 door hatches, and they only weigh about 2090 lbs or so.

Show me the interior volume numbers.

Honda is trying to turn the Civic into some kind of aspirational car for dolts just out of college who can't get the BMWM3 they expected to get by the time they were 23.

??? So the Civic is a car that apires to be better than what it is? And it's only for people who really want an expensive car but get a Civic since they can't afford it? Damn your posts get more confusing by the minute.

Its so funny, I have seen a lot of the new civics on the road, but ALL OF THEM are being driven by young punks.  There's no mature owner base for the new civic design.

Ah yes! Because the only Civics you see are being driven by younger people, then that means there is definately absolutely no mature owner base what-so-ever for the new Civic.

again, my point is the FIT is useless.  The US deserves a base Civic in lieu of the FIT.  The Civic should not 'move up'.  US buyers would see much more benefit in a base Civic at the same prices, with its chassis and engine more appropriate to the US.  Awhile ago a poster commented on how the Fit doesn't get any better mpg than the old Civic HF's etc.  And the Civics were bigger and had more hp and space.  Honda is trying to turn the Civic into some kind of aspirational car for dolts just out of college who can't get the BMWM3 (or daddy didn't get for them) they expected to get by the time they were 23.  The Civic is no longer an 'everyman's car'.....its a young punks car.  Honda's alienated a lot of the mass market with it.

Its so funny, I have seen a lot of the new civics on the road, but ALL OF THEM are being driven by young punks.  There's no mature owner base for the new civic design.  At least I see Mazda 3's being driven by all age groups.

I see young people in the coupe and Si but the sedans are firmly in the slightly older/mature category. New families who need 4-doors but do not have a lot to spend, old people who want a small, fuel efficient car.

Unless the Fit gives you a handjob daily, I really dont see why anyone would pick this over an Aveo, or the barely more expensive Civic, or an uber-warrantied Hyundai or Kia.

Ya, but Hondas have exceptional resale value. Even down the road you spend $2000 above the competition, you get allot back in the long-run. The Koreans and Americans can't compete with Honda's reputaion and value.

So if you Open-mindedly think about it, it's worth the buy.

Edited by Polish_Kris

Unless the Fit gives you a handjob daily, I really dont see why anyone would pick this over an Aveo, or the barely more expensive Civic, or an uber-warrantied Hyundai or Kia.

The Kia Rio 5 MSRPs at $14,040, and is very similar to the Fit. If you were cross shopping those, which would you buy? The Honda which has a great resale and reputation like Polish Kris said, or the Kia, which although has a longer warranty, has the reputation that tells you you're more likely to have to use the warranty?

If I were only going to keep it 3 years, then ok the Fit might win, but a lot of people keep their cars longer and Hondas are expensive to fix and they DO break, even if it is infrequent. If I am going to be paying for a car for 4,5, or even 6 years, I'd rather have it covered under warranty the whole time.

If I were only going to keep it 3 years, then ok the Fit might win, but a lot of people keep their cars longer and Hondas are expensive to fix and they DO break, even if it is infrequent.  If I am going to be paying for a car for 4,5, or even 6 years, I'd rather have it covered under warranty the whole time.

Every car breaks, some less than others. However, Hondas being expensive to maintain is a myth. The aftermarket is littered with inexpensive replacement parts.

Every car breaks, some less than others.  However, Hondas being expensive to maintain is a myth.  The aftermarket is littered with inexpensive replacement parts.

Such is true with, uh, every car. However, Honda parts cost more from the dealer when a suitable replacement elsewhere isn't available.