New Camry LE (run-of-the-mill version) revealed

Variance

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hood cutline is horrible.

The headlamps don't match the rest of the car.

Poorly-styled decklid. Huge ass yet little trunk space...??

Look at the console. Cutlines all over the place. Doesn't GM get perennially racked for doing this?

Some parts underneath the steering column don't look like they fit well together.

Steering wheel controls on the left side only? Not only asthetically unappealing, but egonomically nonsensical as well.

What a tiny, piddly-ass frequency readout on the stereo.

And this picture makes it look very, very fat.

Posted Image

I'm not even going to crack a joke about the dealership's name. That's waaaay too easy.

I really want to see how the mags review this car. I am definitely not a fan of the design and I hope GM does look at it as a design how to. Does the gear shift lever look angled and off center on the vertical? Do all cars look that way? I don't sit in back much lol

The dash in that picture looks poor. Maybe it's the poor lighting, but it just looks bad to my eyes. Pieces don't seem to fit very well and there are some gaps that are a little surprising to see in a Toyota.

Once again, Toyota continues the tradition of sticking the most boring wheel covers on their cars. This is a warmed over version (with one less spoke) of the same wheel covers they have been using for years now on Camrys. And each time I can't help but think how cheap and boring they look. And why is it that every Toyota I spot seems to be the base level model with wheel covers? Wheels are like shoes to a car, and Toyota always seems to pick the K-Mart brand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good point about the wheel covers, Mustang. People tend to expect them on domestics as all our cars are cheap junk anyway, but I must say I'm rather impressed with the ones I've seen on Buicks, Chevies, and the like. They aren't great, but they aren't bad and they tend to cover most if not all of the visible sections of steel wheel underneath.

Toyota has bad ones and frankly I've been surprised to seen them on so many Mazda6s, Altimas, and Jettas. They're pretty poor, too, as some try to look too much like multispoke alloys with large gaps between spokes. Plus, nothing says 'cheap' more than seeing a car crusing down the highway with one wheel wobbling.

Oink-oink!

Posted Image

To be honest it looks a lot better than today's Camry but that's like saying you're a little less gay than Liberace. :P

Edited by Sixty8panther

Wow, I thought it actually looked decent in higher trims, but this is just terrible. The side profile makes it look dated already, it's so damn boring.

The interior looks to have a lot of ill-fitting parts, and I bet you can pull the little sides of the stack off like at the autoshow.

Hold it there now just a minute, toyota reports, I mean consumer reports have told me toyota is built proof and perfect for years now and I'm supposed to think differently?

WOW has toyota missed the mark on making a decent looking toaster, I mean camry for a while.

HEY! I JUST NOTICED!  IS THAT A FOOTBRAKE!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!LAME!

now we have proof they are going all geriatric/estrogen on us.

I don't have a problem with footbrakes... it leaves more space in the center for storage of all the crap you have.

The hood cutline is horrible.

The headlamps don't match the rest of the car.

Poorly-styled decklid. Huge ass yet little trunk space...??

Look at the console. Cutlines all over the place. Doesn't GM get perennially racked for doing this?

Some parts underneath the steering column don't look like they fit well together.

Steering wheel controls on the left side only? Not only asthetically unappealing, but egonomically nonsensical as well.

What a tiny, piddly-ass frequency readout on the stereo.

And this picture makes it look very, very fat.

Posted Image

This car already looks very dated and it hasn't even been out a few weeks yet. Just wait until these cheap ass new Toyotas with there decontented exterior trim have dings all over the naked side doors. That will make them look really old quick. And add a smaller interior with less space to your list and a pig snout of a front end. If the American sheep public continue to make this dud the number one seller, I will have lost all faith in consumers credability.

I'm not even going to crack a joke about the dealership's name. That's waaaay too easy.

Wow, that is really, really bad. The SE version looks 10x better.

Problem is SE gets that toothless grin...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is Toyota starting a new strategy? Making fugly cars then refresh it with the actual design the next model year and call it a day?

Edited by ToniCipriani

HEY! I JUST NOTICED!  IS THAT A FOOTBRAKE!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!LAME!

now we have proof they are going all geriatric/estrogen on us.

And what about all the GM cars that have used footbrakes???? Haven't GM sedans usually had a footbrake parkingbrake for at least the last 50 years or so????

Pot calling the kettle black...you guys bitch about Toyota doing things the same way GM does...

A new Camry was at the local mall today and it had a lunchtime crowd around it. I didn't have time to inspect but as I was walking by a heard a guy exclaim to his dad (I believe), "That's a Camry?" Whether or not you like it, you have to admit normal people are going to be somewhat surprised about the new design. Only time and sales will tell if that is a good thing.

A new Camry was at the local mall today and it had a lunchtime crowd around it.  I didn't have time to inspect but as I was walking by a heard a guy exclaim to his dad (I believe), "That's a Camry?"  Whether or not you like it, you have to admit normal people are going to be somewhat surprised about the new design.  Only time and sales will tell if that is a good thing.

Yeah, they used to think it was bland and acceptable.......and now they are just disgusted by it!

And what about all the GM cars that have used footbrakes????  Haven't GM sedans usually had a footbrake parkingbrake for at least the last 50 years or so????

Pot calling the kettle black...you guys bitch about Toyota doing things the same way GM does...

Actually I would be the first to complain about a foot brake in any car. I prefer the hand brake. A hand brake is a safer back up because you can modulate the brake unlike a foot break which is either all on or all off.

It is acceptable in a luxury car - but a family car or performance car should have a hand break - no questions asked.

And what about all the GM cars that have used footbrakes????  Haven't GM sedans usually had a footbrake parkingbrake for at least the last 50 years or so????

that's what I am saying, footbrakes are lame, and now Toyota has joined the party. Asian carmakers never used to have footbrakes. My diamante had a handbrake that was nicely fit between the seat and the console so no room was lost and the brake was in its rightful spot and easy to use. Why toyota has regressed here is beyond me other than to show Toyota is starting to get watered down to the LCD....lowest common denominator.

that's what I am saying,  footbrakes are lame, and now Toyota has joined the party.  Asian carmakers never used to have footbrakes.  My diamante had a handbrake that was nicely fit between the seat and the console so no room was lost and the brake was in its rightful spot and easy to use.  Why toyota has regressed here is beyond me other than to show Toyota is starting to get watered down to the LCD....lowest common denominator.

And yet it's acceptable in the Impala to have one? The Camry probably has a footbrake since the Avalon has a bench seat option (and they share platforms, so the part is probably shared).

Too bad the Impala and Malibu are not any better looking.

I disagree. The Impala is bland and the Malibu is a little funky looking, but both are proportioned right. The new Camry looks like a slab, and it has a huge butt with design cues that just seems to be sporadically placed here and there. The Chrysler 300 is also a slab, but it's an aggressive, eye-catching slab. The Camry is not.

And yet it's acceptable in the Impala to have one?    The Camry probably has a footbrake since the Avalon has a bench seat option (and they share platforms, so the part is probably shared).

um, it sucks that the impala has one too. i test drove an SS impala, and i'm like, this thing has a footbrake? I think the grand prix has footbrakes too. i don't give a FF what it is, i like my cars to have floor shifter and hand brakes.

Um, I'm pretty sure that was mocking the general contention amongst automotive 'reviewers' that footbrakes are a bad thing. In many, many cars, they're not. Handbrakes in auto-only cars rob storge space and take up too much room.

Well, I guess I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that the new Camry looks ok. The LE grille is terribly cheap-looking but the SE and Hybrid (shown below) grilles aren't too bad.

Posted Image

The SE body trim is a nice touch but it could stand to look more integrated and less slapped on.

Overall, the new interior is leaps and bounds better than the snooze-fest of yore. The Hybrid interior is quite nice with the electroluminescent guages:

Posted Image

If I were to buy a Camry, I'd buy a Hybrid just because it's the best looking overall in and out. The SE would be second because I don't like the cheapo white-faced guages and would only want it in black to hide the lines of the non-integrated body kit.

If I were to buy a Camry, I'd buy a Hybrid just because it's the best looking overall in and out. The SE would be second because I don't like the cheapo white-faced guages and would only want it in black to hide the lines of the non-integrated body kit.

Yeah... the Hybrid is the best looking one (minus the smaller trunk space concern), but I'd wait to see the price on it before deciding you'd pay for one. There's bound to be a reason they're holding off.

Um, I'm pretty sure that was mocking the general contention amongst automotive 'reviewers' that footbrakes are a bad thing. In many, many cars, they're not. Handbrakes in auto-only cars rob storge space and take up too much room.

the ones in my car took up no console space and was right at hand between the seat and the console, and it never interefered with your leg space. in summation, it sacrificed no space, it enhanced function and didn't take up prime leg space on the floor. perfect setup. see post #7 this thread.

unless you enjoy snagging your dress pant legs on your footbrake all the time, then its ok....fer sure. or banging it with your foot and leg getting in and out of the car.

Edited by regfootball

you can tell this based on some low-res pics

Yes, actually you can see some ill-fitting parts if you open your eyes, and I can guarantee you those to edge pieces on the center stack will pop right off.

I think I may go to the Toyota dealership some day and test drive a Camry and then ask the salesman why a piece of the center stack fell off when I went over a bump just to see his reaction.

If it was a GM, it'd only sell half as well.

If Toyota sold vehicles like this they'd be out of business

no upholstery on doors

Posted Image

Posted Image

nice choice in fabrics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

who supplies these mismatched plastics Rubbermaid?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I’ve owed 1980’s toys w/better display readouts

Posted Image

gauges fitting of a 1990’s car

Yes, actually you can see some ill-fitting parts if you open your eyes

my vision's fine, maybe some here will find it beneficial to pay a visit to the local optometrist

Edited by toyoguy