new powertrain for impala?

intrigued

Well I'm not saying that we should endure another 5 years of W's but they're still a nice car (you know that nice used car that is soooo mint that you still have that new car smell :AH-HA:

On another point I took my oldest daughter to shop new Impalas and while I have no problem with egress in her Intrigue or older W's it took me forever to get behind the wheel. I tried the Cruze almost imposable but once in very nice and roomy. They've moved the B pillar forward and that POS tilt wheel wanna be is useless all the way up and still jambs my thigh. This needs to be addressed as the driver is usually the buyer so why would the buyer be impeded with entry/exit? I know it's done for rollover protection but at the safety aspect of speed of egress? I've seen others complain but now I see their plight. Man I'm only 5'9" 270lbs I would think that an Impala would fit. I fit in Focus Caviler Colbalt Caliber old Civics.... Now don't tell me I'm wrong on this one

For those saying "Lay off the Impy, it's still a good car." No.. no it isn't. It's an "okay" car. It's a car that has sub-par materials inside. A car with an albeit smooth, old transmission. It has sub-par brakes. Its styling isn't fresh anymore. It no longer has competitive features. And it tops out at about $32,000. Who on earth would pay $32,000 for one of these?! And before you start going on about the thousands off you can get, what does that tell you?!

It's not a great car. It's not a good car. It's an okay car, or a "good buy for the money" when referring to lower trims and gently used.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Well I'm not saying that we should endure another 5 years of W's but they're still a nice car (you know that nice used car that is soooo mint that you still have that new car smell :AH-HA:

On another point I took my oldest daughter to shop new Impalas and while I have no problem with egress in her Intrigue or older W's it took me forever to get behind the wheel. I tried the Cruze almost imposable but once in very nice and roomy. They've moved the B pillar forward and that POS tilt wheel wanna be is useless all the way up and still jambs my thigh. This needs to be addressed as the driver is usually the buyer so why would the buyer be impeded with entry/exit? I know it's done for rollover protection but at the safety aspect of speed of egress? I've seen others complain but now I see their plight. Man I'm only 5'9" 270lbs I would think that an Impala would fit. I fit in Focus Caviler Colbalt Caliber old Civics.... Now don't tell me I'm wrong on this one

Most used Impalas reak of Enterprise.

The egress of many cars will be more difficult for larger shaped people. THey are just getting smaller and with the side impact standards more cluttered. Not much way around it unless you go to a truck or SUV. That is part of their appeal and the part the short skinny vegan tree huggers don't understand.

Unless you can afford one of the larger more expensive cars you are going to have to learn to adapt to what you can afford.

For those saying "Lay off the Impy, it's still a good car." No.. no it isn't. It's an "okay" car. It's a car that has sub-par materials inside. A car with an albeit smooth, old transmission. It has sub-par brakes. Its styling isn't fresh anymore. It no longer has competitive features. And it tops out at about $32,000. Who on earth would pay $32,000 for one of these?! And before you start going on about the thousands off you can get, what does that tell you?!

It's not a great car. It's not a good car. It's an okay car, or a "good buy for the money" when referring to lower trims and gently used.

The Impala is a slot filler and nothing more. It is buying time. The only thing keeping it going is the fleet sales and the large discounts that make it appealing to people who want practical and can do with class leading or up to date. Retired people love em because they can afford them and most gave up on image. Besides most will never have to deal with resale value as it will be their last car and it will be willed to grandson in high school.

The Impy is what it is and we are going to just have to live with it for the next couple years. The new engine and tranny will help but GM really need not to invest much more. If it were not the end of the engine and tranny they would have not changed them.

Hyundai has a comparatively small product line and wasn't in bankruptcy the last couple of years..GM has a vast product line to spread the $$$$ across.

Ford has used the same dashes in the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Ranger for the last 15 years, so GM probably figures they can do the same thing...

the bankruptcy -reason-, excuse, whatever fits one's perspective.....

the flip side of all of what you just said is that the Impala is one of GM's 5 core products. Despite bankruptcy, the Impala is a product that should be a continuous priority and always relevant and up to date.

If GM sells 200,000 impalas and it costs them 40 million for 2 years to redo the interior or at least the dash.....then that is 100 dollars a car for two years. If that keeps them from slapping an extra 500 or 1000 in incentives.......

Edited by regfootball

The Impala is a slot filler and nothing more. It is buying time. The only thing keeping it going is the fleet sales and the large discounts that make it appealing to people who want practical and can do with class leading or up to date. Retired people love em because they can afford them and most gave up on image. Besides most will never have to deal with resale value as it will be their last car and it will be willed to grandson in high school.

The Impy is what it is and we are going to just have to live with it for the next couple years. The new engine and tranny will help but GM really need not to invest much more. If it were not the end of the engine and tranny they would have not changed them.

my 85 yo father in law wants to unload his GP for an Impala.

Problem is, building brand equity correctly means never having holes in the presentation. Inconsistency or dated product weakens the entire brand.

At least keep the interior and powertrains up to date. At least they are doing the right thing with the powertrain. It will have taken GM from 2000 to 2013 to basically replicate the Olds Intrigue.

my 85 yo father in law wants to unload his GP for an Impala.

Problem is, building brand equity correctly means never having holes in the presentation. Inconsistency or dated product weakens the entire brand.

At least keep the interior and powertrains up to date. At least they are doing the right thing with the powertrain. It will have taken GM from 2000 to 2013 to basically replicate the Olds Intrigue.

I am sure if you wrote GM a check to upgrade this program they would have upgraded this program. GM has has a lot of inconsistent and dated product that need upgraded or replaced. But even a company as large as GM in post Chapter 11 can not fix everything at once. GM has had to pick and choose what comes first. The Cobalt and Malibu are in two classes that will move more cars and needed more attention due to the lack of small car profits so they got the first work done.

On the to do list the Imapla is just not at the top of the list. Like stated above the new car is not due till 2014 so it is pointless to grumble.

I like how people think that GM can just download a new Impala like it's an app for their phone.

GM has a lot going on right now and a few tricks up their sleeve that people aren't seeing yet.

Well, look how 'fast' they replaced another W-body...look at the timelines of the W-LaCrosse when it was introduced (about the same time as the last Impala update) and when the Epsilon version came out...why wasn't the Impala on a similar schedule?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Well, look how 'fast' they replaced another W-body...look at the timelines of the W-LaCrosse when it was introduced (about the same time as the last Impala update) and when the Epsilon version came out...why wasn't the Impala on a similar schedule?

It was... it was called Malibu.

I like how people think that GM can just download a new Impala like it's an app for their phone.

GM has a lot going on right now and a few tricks up their sleeve that people aren't seeing yet.

People think GM has enough money are staff to rebuild everything in on year. If that were only true. There is a lot going on we have not even seen a hint of yet that will suprise many. What we have seen so far is the stuff they were planning and working on before the chapter 11.

The W lacross was easy to replace since it was just a rebaged Opel. Besides Chevy had lot of other other product in the show room but Buick was looking like a used car lot as they had more used cars vs new cars to offer.

The Impala was delayed due to lack of money nothing more. It was holding its own and just kept getting delayed. The Cruze and Malibu are even later than they would really like.

It was going to take 4-5 years from last spring to really see the major changes to come once they started on the new programs with the new money. Even they will be staggered out as they can not fund them all at once.

The W lacross was easy to replace since it was just a rebaged Opel. Besides Chevy had lot of other other product in the show room but Buick was looking like a used car lot as they had more used cars vs new cars to offer.

The W-LaCrosse had nothing to do with any Opel..it was a W just like the Impala. You must be thinking of the Aura.

The Impala shows that even with 4 brands, GM can't keep everything current and competitive. They still have stop-gaps littered through the product line. And by the time 2014 comes around and they replace the Impala, a car from 2008 will still be around dying on the vine and they'll say how it has 3 more years until a redo.

GM is doing well in areas, but they are missing others. GM is still heavily reliant on SUVs and pickups. Ford at least has small people movers and utility vehicles like the Transit and C-Max, and hybrids to leverage themselves for when gas prices spike. GM is still slow to respond to market demand, they always wait until someone else has a hit, then copy it and release it 3 years later when it is too late.

I dunno, GM has done some pretty fast model turn arounds lately. What this says to me is that there was a major direction change in the new Impala's mission and architecture.

Yup, lets remember they were going back and forth on RWD vs. FWD and were developing both cars in parallel for a while. The RWD model was to have been evocative of the 1967 Impala too... Pity. Then CAFE came and they had to switch gears, then BK came and put everything in neutral...

IIRC was there not a private preview a while back of the design of the new Impala that said it was FWD looking and basically huge inside and out...

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

GM should have known the Impala was long in the tooth in 2003, and had a replacement ready by 2008, when the other W-bodies died... well before the BK.

Speaking of the BK, I like the way people think that the BK has pushed GM development back 5 years. It hasn't. Typically, up until the BK its business as usual, but under more financial stress, but the design department is somewhat distant from that storm, assuming the paychecks still get cashed, the electric stays on and the art supplies are present. The BK lasted, what, 4-5 months... certainly not a simple BK, but it was funded by the government in the meantime... I've never heard that GM send the design staff on furlough. After losing brands/projects, those design groups got more talent and after the BK was sorted, had funding. Its been 20 months now... the BK excuse is getting old.

...and some here still believe the real solution is currently driving around Australia.

• Agree 1

The W-LaCrosse had nothing to do with any Opel..it was a W just like the Impala. You must be thinking of the Aura.

Sorry I was thinking Regal.

The Detla II was always going to be the new Lacrosse. THe Impala had other plans and was not going to change in the same model year. These models were all moving in different ways and different time schedules. The money for the Impala went to the last Malibu as it needed replace sooner and it is in the size class that sells more cars today. The Camary and Accord were larger target markets.

The same remains today the Malibu is expected to well out sell the Impala. That is not to say a new Imapala will not sell by anymeans. The fact remains the Malibu will still sell in greater numbers and will get a little more MPG over the fleet.

So GM spent money making CTSv's but neglected one of it's five most important products.

For the most the CTSV is like a parts bin car. They also make enough money on the V to make a large profit to pay for it and even some on the base car.

THe engine is shared with the Vette, trucks and soon the Camaro. The rest of the car is shared with the resent CTS wit some reworked suspension parts and trim. It is not like they had to do a ground up car.

The price of the CTSV program is small compared to a new Impala program.

The Malibu was 1. more important and 2. just release and then 12 months later BK hit.

This is the truth.

Like it or not the BK effected GM in various ways. Some programs were effected by weeks, some days other by years.

Just look at the ZL1. It was termed cancled by some and on the shelf by insiders till money was flowing again. Well as we now know it was just shelved as Scott Settlmire said it was with no time line.

The Malibu is the work horse volume car of Chevy now. No longer is the Impala the highest volume sedan as it once was. Their sales will help and it will do fine but it is not going to be like the Impala or Caprice of old. The market has changed.

Government regulators stifle business, make it too difficult to plan.

I have always said I would really hate to be a product planner today. Gov Reg's, market trends and trying to guess what is going to be a hot product in 5 years in advance is more difficult today than ever.

In todays market a product planner can go from Hero to Zero with one mistake on a product line.

GM should have known the Impala was long in the tooth in 2003, and had a replacement ready by 2008, when the other W-bodies died... well before the BK.

Speaking of the BK, I like the way people think that the BK has pushed GM development back 5 years. It hasn't. Typically, up until the BK its business as usual, but under more financial stress, but the design department is somewhat distant from that storm, assuming the paychecks still get cashed, the electric stays on and the art supplies are present. The BK lasted, what, 4-5 months... certainly not a simple BK, but it was funded by the government in the meantime... I've never heard that GM send the design staff on furlough. After losing brands/projects, those design groups got more talent and after the BK was sorted, had funding. Its been 20 months now... the BK excuse is getting old.

...and some here still believe the real solution is currently driving around Australia.

That's not the sentiment that Welburn expressed to me. He said that in the time up till the BK, they had LOTS of ideas but no money to do it.... so even if design and engineering knew what they wanted to do, they couldn't get the investment needed to make those changes. He said that post BK, there has been a complete swing in attitude in that regard.

• Agree 1

That's not the sentiment that Welburn expressed to me. He said that in the time up till the BK, they had LOTS of ideas but no money to do it.... so even if design and engineering knew what they wanted to do, they couldn't get the investment needed to make those changes. He said that post BK, there has been a complete swing in attitude in that regard.

Its truly unfortunately that Welburn's time at the top has been during such tough times, but he still has to do the nearly impossible.

GM didn't start posting yearly losses until 2005. Impala redesign should have been started by 2003. Assuming GM needs 4 years, GM could have prioritized it to be out by 2008, even under financial stress. IIRC, the Impala has been GM's 2nd best selling car during this time. 3rd at worst.

Even so, during rough times, a business must protect its future as much as possible. For GM, Design and Engineering is most of that future. If GM starved Welburn and crew, than someone near the top, perhaps Welburn himself, per needs to fix it ASAP, without needed a BK and a reshuffling of the deck chairs.

We've known since 1996 that GM had truck-tunnel vision... letting first fullsize cars disappear.. then pony cars... then minivans... then coupes. When GM had money, I'm sure it was "design more trucks". Well, that was a disaster, long term.

Nonetheless, redesigning the Impala did not just come up as a surprise, it had better been in the project queue for a decade and the BK police did not raid the design studio and seize all the ideas. Welburn's people had better learn to work faster... especially if the next Impala turns out to be barely more than a stretched Malibu.

I am sure if you wrote GM a check to upgrade this program they would have upgraded this program. GM has has a lot of inconsistent and dated product that need upgraded or replaced. But even a company as large as GM in post Chapter 11 can not fix everything at once. GM has had to pick and choose what comes first. The Cobalt and Malibu are in two classes that will move more cars and needed more attention due to the lack of small car profits so they got the first work done.

On the to do list the Imapla is just not at the top of the list. Like stated above the new car is not due till 2014 so it is pointless to grumble.

or they could have not paid off fritz and red ink rick and instead spent the money on something that would have benefit the customers.

For the most the CTSV is like a parts bin car. They also make enough money on the V to make a large profit to pay for it and even some on the base car.

THe engine is shared with the Vette, trucks and soon the Camaro. The rest of the car is shared with the resent CTS wit some reworked suspension parts and trim. It is not like they had to do a ground up car.

The price of the CTSV program is small compared to a new Impala program.

and 200 bucks a unit for a new dash and door panels is hardly too much to ask at this point.

or they could have not paid off fritz and red ink rick and instead spent the money on something that would have benefit the customers.

and 200 bucks a unit for a new dash and door panels is hardly too much to ask at this point.

The deals with Rick and Fritz were not good but kept GM out of court and paying more to get out of the deals.

As for the $200 Per unit. $200 does not get you much in the real world. Besides was a new shift knob really the biggest problem here with the Imapala?

yet bob lutz said if chrysler had spent 200 dollars more on the interior of the 300M per car it would have been a knockout instead of merely average.

VW if they would have spent a dollar more on each door insert in the new Jetta would have made a huge difference.

If GM pays 75 bucks for an Impala shifter right now I have a hard time believing to redesign it or at least tweak a bit would could 275 bucks. The Malibu got a new shifter this year and no one complained about the cost of that.

To change the stupid looking gauge faces on the cluster would hardly cost them more than a couple bucks.

To simply change the seat cloth, and plastics grain and quality and put decent plood in there instead of the garbage that is in there now would hardly classify as a hardship and it wouldn't require little if any redesign.

Go sit in a 2010 Mazda6 interior (puke) and then go sit in a 2011. Subtle but significant changes and now its not barf anymore. Chevy needs to take the same approach. Everything sensory needs an overhaul. the seat fabric, the plastics, the gauges, the radio and CC, the shifter, the steering wheel.

If Hyundai can ante up the funds to choke out a whole new interior on maybe a couple hundred thousand cars on a dying exterior design, then GM can certainly choke up a little bit of dough for an interior makeover to go along with the powertrain revisions.

GM is the world's largest car company this is a project that their middle managers and their summer interns should be able to do in their sleep.

Edited by regfootball

yet bob lutz said if chrysler had spent 200 dollars more on the interior of the 300M per car it would have been a knockout instead of merely average.

VW if they would have spent a dollar more on each door insert in the new Jetta would have made a huge difference.

If GM pays 75 bucks for an Impala shifter right now I have a hard time believing to redesign it or at least tweak a bit would could 275 bucks. The Malibu got a new shifter this year and no one complained about the cost of that.

To change the stupid looking gauge faces on the cluster would hardly cost them more than a couple bucks.

To simply change the seat cloth, and plastics grain and quality and put decent plood in there instead of the garbage that is in there now would hardly classify as a hardship and it wouldn't require little if any redesign.

Go sit in a 2010 Mazda6 interior (puke) and then go sit in a 2011. Subtle but significant changes and now its not barf anymore. Chevy needs to take the same approach. Everything sensory needs an overhaul. the seat fabric, the plastics, the gauges, the radio and CC, the shifter, the steering wheel.

If Hyundai can ante up the funds to choke out a whole new interior on maybe a couple hundred thousand cars on a dying exterior design, then GM can certainly choke up a little bit of dough for an interior makeover to go along with the powertrain revisions.

GM is the world's largest car company this is a project that their middle managers and their summer interns should be able to do in their sleep.

You missed the point. The Impala is profitable as the cars tooling is well paid for. To invest anymore than you have to would only cut into profits. You really think many would flock to the Impala because it has a new dash? The only reason they are giving it a new engine and tranny is because they have to.

There is a new car coming and GM would be best off investing all new money into the new car vs this one. The Impala is in Hospice and lets just make her final couple years comfortable and as profitable as possible.

see I totally disagree. 500 bucks more spent on the car may mean 500 less in incentives to move it out the door.

i guess record bonuses serve the customer more than enhancing the product.

any improvement on a product has to have a cost / benefit / ROI analysis. Of course they have to make the business case for the improvements but in this case I see management as just being dumb and lazy and lacking foresight and not caring about the repercussions to the brand. I actually never saw PROOF they had to make the powertrain switch. In my mind, it's justified because it improves the product. Not because it satisfied Dan's itch to consolidate engines. I have a hard time believing you can justify the powertrain switch before you can justify changing seat cloth or gauge faces.

another example of how completely asinine the decision making must be at GM. they can't even put a real steering wheel and seats in the Corvette, which sells at prices or 55, 60, 70k and up.

they put a unique steering wheel in the new camaro but botch the function. So now they put in what is a new Cruze parts bin wheel that has no style match to the rest of the interior. And yet the ZL1 will prob sell for 60k plus.

So the Camaro has had (after like a 7 year absence) now two steering wheels, and neither of them are right for the design or the car. GM wasted money on design and engineering efforts both times and couldn't solve the problem. To top it off, there never was a thought of a NAV screen in the Camaro. Even though very few people will spend 2k on it there should have been a space alloted in the dash for a large display.....clearly auto design was trending that direction. NAV had been out long before the Camaro hit production.

HHR, they put window switches on the dash, and then they finally wise up and put em back on the door. How much $$$$ did they spend not doing it right to begin with? Cruze, door lock switch is on the dash. What are they gonna pay to fix that screw up? G8 window switches on the console, why didn't they wise up and put em on the door where they were supposed to be?

We could excuse this crap for Mitsubishi. How is it the world's largest car company bankruptcy or not has to be continually subject to this sort of management? No wonder everyone used to mock GM all the time.

I saw a gorgeous red G8 today that had just gone through the car wash. Why it stayed clean is odd since the massive snow is melting in the 40 degree sun. The car was so stunning and I am like, they couldn't find a way to keep selling this car here some way? Does it really have to go away for 5 years before it comes back?

I actually am looking forward to seeing how the Impala moves out with the 3.6.......but I suppose there won't be any tweaks to the ride and handling either.

Edited by regfootball

Oh I dunno, I kinda like the soft, nappy old skool velour seat fabric in the Impala. Better than the scratchy burlap on so many new vehicles.

+1 My 2007 Impala is a refuge from the $h!ty fabric in cars these days... The upholstery is fine. The stereo is also fine. The climate control (dual zone) could be more intuitive (they tried by adding little "sticks" to the knobs in 09) but is otherwise fine. Perhaps Electronic CC in the LTZ maybe but otherwise fine. Minor tweaks to woodgrain and door panels as well as a leather wrapped shifter are all I really have to suggest for this car.

As for the necessity for the powertrain switch it's because the 4T65E and 3500 LZE Engines are built out and the car is going to outlive the powertrain that is installed in it. It is cheaper to switch to the 3.6L than keep making the other components for just one car.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

You missed the point. The Impala is profitable as the cars tooling is well paid for. To invest anymore than you have to would only cut into profits. You really think many would flock to the Impala because it has a new dash? The only reason they are giving it a new engine and tranny is because they have to.

There is a new car coming and GM would be best off investing all new money into the new car vs this one. The Impala is in Hospice and lets just make her final couple years comfortable and as profitable as possible.

As an actual 2008 2LT Impala owner, I have to chuckle at some of the responses being made by those that so obviously do not even own these cars. The cloth seat fabric used in the 2006-2011 Impala is 100% superior to most of the garbage being used on todays cost cutting cars and trucks. I know this because my other half used to own a 2008 Malibu which used the sand paper scratchy crap that todays cars use. It is not only rough on the legs but next to impossible to clean and keep cleaned in any color other than black. It also seems to attract fuzz and lint much quicker than my Impala. It is a "lesser" cheaper to produce synthetic material that todays manufacturers use to save a few bucks. In contrast my Impalas cloth seats always look clean and only take a simple vacuuming and wipe down to look as new. The narrow, low slung Malibu always found me clipping my head when entering the vehicle which doesn't happen in the Impala. The Impala has greater width and front seat room, shoulder room and headroom too in addition to greater length and the flip/fold rear seat is superior to many of todays rear seat back only fold down units.

The Malibu annoyed in other ways too. No rear seat armrest was an obvious cost cutter along with the missing overhead assist handles and dual zone climate control. The telescoping wheel is nice. Too bad it doesn't go up as much as the Impala. The trunk is another Malibu weakness. It's opening is tiny and the trunk is very shallow. On to the powertrain, the Malibus 4 cylinder/4 speed automatic are smooth and quiet enough but just provide no fun when you want to drive spiritedly. It's average fuel mileage is nothing to write home about either. We usually got between 23-24 as an average barely topping 30 on the road. GM's choice in final drive at 3.91:1 surely didn't help in this area. In contrast my 3900 AFM equipped Impala will blow this car away at all times, climbs hills with a tap on the gas pedal and is considerably more fun. The tranny shifts more firmly when using the engines power too! The best part is that even with all this power mileage is nearly a draw with the weaker Malibu at 23 average and 30 on trips making me question what the advantage to the 4 banger is. The Impalas brakes are also superior. With over 75K miles on the clock the Impala has never suffered as much as a squeal or shimmy in the brakes and it stops on a dime even after repeated stops. The Malibu's brakes have squealed and vibrated from as little as 15k miles and seem to need a lot more attention. Worse, the electric crap power steering has needed no less than 3 visits to correct ranging from clunks to actual failure. This was the straw that broke the camals back for the Malibu as it's now been replaced by a 2010 Impala LT 3500.

With that said, I do agree that the Impala needs updating. The 2010 did get a bunch of little changes such as 17" wheels as std, a firmer touring suspension, lower flared ground effects, std fog lamps, leather wheel, thorax air bag, lighted visor mirrors and ABS/traction control and Stability control as std equipment. The seats also got more padding and are now noticeably more comfy on long trips. The dash, front and rear fascias and options list could use updates and the basic radio needs improvement. Some two tone treatment to the interior and some additional color choices would be desirable too.

• Agree 1

As an actual 2008 2LT Impala owner, I have to chuckle at some of the responses being made by those that so obviously do not even own these cars. The cloth seat fabric used in the 2006-2011 Impala is 100% superior to most of the garbage being used on todays cost cutting cars and trucks. I know this because my other half used to own a 2008 Malibu which used the sand paper scratchy crap that todays cars use. It is not only rough on the legs but next to impossible to clean and keep cleaned in any color other than black. It also seems to attract fuzz and lint much quicker than my Impala. It is a "lesser" cheaper to produce synthetic material that todays manufacturers use to save a few bucks. In contrast my Impalas cloth seats always look clean and only take a simple vacuuming and wipe down to look as new. The narrow, low slung Malibu always found me clipping my head when entering the vehicle which doesn't happen in the Impala. The Impala has greater width and front seat room, shoulder room and headroom too in addition to greater length and the flip/fold rear seat is superior to many of todays rear seat back only fold down units.

The Malibu annoyed in other ways too. No rear seat armrest was an obvious cost cutter along with the missing overhead assist handles and dual zone climate control. The telescoping wheel is nice. Too bad it doesn't go up as much as the Impala. The trunk is another Malibu weakness. It's opening is tiny and the trunk is very shallow. On to the powertrain, the Malibus 4 cylinder/4 speed automatic are smooth and quiet enough but just provide no fun when you want to drive spiritedly. It's average fuel mileage is nothing to write home about either. We usually got between 23-24 as an average barely topping 30 on the road. GM's choice in final drive at 3.91:1 surely didn't help in this area. In contrast my 3900 AFM equipped Impala will blow this car away at all times, climbs hills with a tap on the gas pedal and is considerably more fun. The tranny shifts more firmly when using the engines power too! The best part is that even with all this power mileage is nearly a draw with the weaker Malibu at 23 average and 30 on trips making me question what the advantage to the 4 banger is. The Impalas brakes are also superior. With over 75K miles on the clock the Impala has never suffered as much as a squeal or shimmy in the brakes and it stops on a dime even after repeated stops. The Malibu's brakes have squealed and vibrated from as little as 15k miles and seem to need a lot more attention. Worse, the electric crap power steering has needed no less than 3 visits to correct ranging from clunks to actual failure. This was the straw that broke the camals back for the Malibu as it's now been replaced by a 2010 Impala LT 3500.

With that said, I do agree that the Impala needs updating. The 2010 did get a bunch of little changes such as 17" wheels as std, a firmer touring suspension, lower flared ground effects, std fog lamps, leather wheel, thorax air bag, lighted visor mirrors and ABS/traction control and Stability control as std equipment. The seats also got more padding and are now noticeably more comfy on long trips. The dash, front and rear fascias and options list could use updates and the basic radio needs improvement. Some two tone treatment to the interior and some additional color choices would be desirable too.

Before we get all indignant Some of own a 08 Bu and also own the better version of the W the GTP Comp Grand Prix. I also know very well what the Impala has and is having spent a lot of time in them time in them. While it is not a terrible car it is a very out dated car in many way. GM has done well to update it but the car has it's limits. It still lacks the things that the new Impala will bring us and are expected in todays market. The Model T was a great car and updated too but it never could compare to the A model or 32 Flat Head. Some things need engineered in not just added or bolted on.

As for the Bu it has it faults too but it is a smaller car and some just go with the package size. The trunk is the worst of it and agree there. But for ride comfort and drive train the V6 Bu it a much enjoyable car to drive and should be since it is much newer car. It is not so much the Bu is better but the fact the Bu is newer and with a much better drivetrain.

As for price I got the Bu for under $20K with the V6, 18 inch wheels and upgraded suspension ETC. The only thing it really lacks is the Sun Roof. The V6 is a much better engine than my 3800 SC Series III that the Impala never got. The new 6 speed tranny is smooth as glass and with the manual shift mode it is often hard to tell what gear it is in with out looking. The GTP in Manual mode you know what gear it is as it crashes into each one.

So don't get bent out of shape as I too speak from experience of the car and it's platform. It is not that I hate the Impala but I see it as a car that is below what it could or should be at this point because of age. SOme people like older women if that is your thing go for it. I just look forward to the new car as it will help put Chevy back as it should be a leader.

We get over 20 MPG in town and I often hit 30 MPG highway on trips witht he Bu. We also have 2.5 years on the car with only one tire pressure sensor issue other than that no problems what so ever.

FYI The Bu is very easy to keep clean as I have no issues with the plastic strip.

You like what you like and I just happen like the newer Bu. THat may change with the new Impala once it gets here. There is no right or wrong here just what each of us like. Just never assume others do not know what the car is like as others than you spend time in many different cars including the Impala and own more than one car. So I do have a informed opinion here and know your car well.

I do have to say from the Impala Police special I sat in at the auto show it is one car that did have a much worse rear seat than my GTP and that is hard to do. I though the GTP was rock hard but that plastic rear seat was much worse. LOL!

So no hearsay here as some Rubes like to think.

Edited by hyperv6

they use the 4 banger in the impala because of the EPA/CAFE numbers and the fact that they conditioned the customer to accept that a cheaper 4 cylinder is ok in lieu of a more expensive v6. I do know that my friend who used to own a passat and now has a malibu as a company car, he says he really likes his malibu. he even sold his passat because he was satisfied with the malibu.

Edited by regfootball

There is good and bad both on the Impala and Malibu as neither are perfect. GM has room for improvment and they know it.

The fact on the Impala that can not be overcome no matter how it is spun is the fact it is a old design and it is showing it's age. In a market where cars are getting upgraded in only a few years it is a good thing the Impala was as good as it was.

But that is why we still have peopel supporting it as strongly as they do. It was never a car to be ashamed of but the end has come and the sooner it is replaced the better. I feel the fact it is so long after the BK it will give GM a chance to do this one right all the way through. No short cuts to save time or money.

I fully expect a car that will make the Taurus look dated in many repsects.

There is good and bad both on the Impala and Malibu as neither are perfect. GM has room for improvment and they know it.

The fact on the Impala that can not be overcome no matter how it is spun is the fact it is a old design and it is showing it's age. In a market where cars are getting upgraded in only a few years it is a good thing the Impala was as good as it was.

But that is why we still have peopel supporting it as strongly as they do. It was never a car to be ashamed of but the end has come and the sooner it is replaced the better. I feel the fact it is so long after the BK it will give GM a chance to do this one right all the way through. No short cuts to save time or money.

I fully expect a car that will make the Taurus look dated in many repsects.

I agree about the Impala needing updating and improvement. Notice my wrap up of the Impala vs Malibu post. Also note that your Malibu 2LT uses the far superior suede/vinyl seats which should be just as easy to care for as my Impala seats. It's the base cloth of most of todays cars that is hard to clean and keep clean and it feels rough like sand paper. I never cared for the 2008 Bu we had because of it's basic gray cloth seated interior that always looked dingy and the tighter space issues mentioned in my writeup. The 2.4 L-4 that got near V6 mileage but gave 4 cylinder performance was also a turn off. When you have the power of a liquid smooth V6 that effortlessly pulls out on the highway, climbs hills like they don't exist and carries around 4-5 passengers without strain going to a lesser 4 banger is a let down somewhat. I'm sure the upcoming 2013 Malibu with the 2.4 DI will improve power/mileage to much higher levels but the current Bu base power-train is merely adequate and never fun!