new powertrain for impala?

intrigued

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/07/2012-chevy-impala-to-soldier-on-with-new-v6-replacement-delayed/

That would be... interessting if it proves to be true. On the other hand the sources are quetionable. The 3.5 and 3.9 v6s arent used in anything else though at this point so maybe there is a grain of truth to this. I always heard that the 6 speed tranny wouldn't fit or there was some sort of complication with it and the W-body.

The way the article was worded, it sounds like there was an issue w/ using the 6spd w/ the 3.5 or 3.9 in the W-body..maybe the 3.6 w/ the 6spd fits..

After the Lucerne and DTS go, the Impala would be the last model using the 4spd, maybe they want to put it and the 3.5 and 3.9 out of production sooner than later. With the 3.6 and 6 spd, they could keep the W Impala as is for another 5-10 years.. :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The 3.5L/4spd was capable of low 30s mpg highway in the Impala. Given the number of 3.5L-equipped Impalas that sell, going with just the 3.6L could seriously hurt GMs CAFE number. Perhaps a 2.4L version is in the works too?

although i could wish for a DI 3 valve i-vvt v6, just for the IBC v6's sake.

i doubt the 3.9L will survive. looked on chevy.com, it's been down rated to 230hp? and 235lbft, i think iirc.

should be a money saving proposition, but will it actually make it a better car?

The 3.5L/4spd was capable of low 30s mpg highway in the Impala. Given the number of 3.5L-equipped Impalas that sell, going with just the 3.6L could seriously hurt GMs CAFE number. Perhaps a 2.4L version is in the works too?

The EPA ratings for the new 3.6L is 29MPG in the Camaro, in the lighter FWD Impala I'd expect it to be rated at at least 30MPG hwy. The 3.5L is rated at 19/29. That being said, I am confident that a 3.5L can beat the EPA ratings while the 3.6L is usually more bang on with the EPA ratings.

My 2007 with the 3.5L got 37+MPG on the highway between Calgary and Vancouver last time I took the trip.

I see this as just buying time as the car has out lived the old engines and tranny.

The 4 speeds are done this year I know they have finished them for the HHR already and suspect the same for the Impala. The engines I would expect are near being built out since nothing much uses them anymore.

The sooner GM get the new Impala out the better. The sad part is we are still years away.

With this engine and tranny spec this is the car they should have had back in 2004.

Edited by hyperv6

I wonder about the Impala name, though, as this car will be Chevrolet's daily-rental fleet queen. I have this odd feeling a RWD Caprice might show up in 2014.

The RWD will show up soon but I get the feeling the Caprice name will stay with the LWB Police car. The SWB performance sedan I would think will get another name they already have picked. The Caprice was never a performance car and we already know it will not be an Impala.

We may know next week in Chicago.

Edited by hyperv6

Putting the 4-speed auto and pushrod V6 out of their misery is a good idea. Letting the 1988 W-body soldier on another 3 years is a bad idea. The Impala was dated the day it came out in 2006, yet they are going to still be making it in 2013, sad.

What is interesting is that once the Impala dies, no car on sale here will have a pushrod 4 or 6 cylinder engine. Yet GM keeps trying to milk the pushrod V8 along rather than getting with the times.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Putting the 4-speed auto and pushrod V6 out of their misery is a good idea. Letting the 1988 W-body soldier on another 3 years is a bad idea. The Impala was dated the day it came out in 2006, yet they are going to still be making it in 2013, sad.

What is interesting is that once the Impala dies, no car on sale here will have a pushrod 4 or 6 cylinder engine. Yet GM keeps trying to milk the pushrod V8 along rather than getting with the times.

By "milk it along" you mean "vastly outperform DOHC competition" right?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The best platform in the world got even better.

W-Body will even outlive automobiles and I see W-body underpinning commuter space crafts if humanity launches into space.

W-Body - Acronym for We Will Win World.

They should change the W body name to the Cockroach body. At this rate it would survive even a Nuke attack.

I don't think even Billy the Exterminator could kill or relocate it.

Edited by hyperv6

This is NOT the 1988 W-body. I wonder if it shares any parts with a 1990 Lumina. It still sells and it is not a bad car to drive or ride in. This powertrain update is good news. Like Paulie says, hopefully there will be some sort of cosmetic update.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's time we had a new Impala. Maybe GM is waiting to see if these oppressive CAFE laws are going to be rolled back to, say... 30 mpg. Which is worlds more appropriate than what has been proposed.

By "milk it along" you mean "vastly outperform DOHC competition" right?

I think ignorants blame OHV because of its colloquial name push-rod and think of the setup being outdated because it does not have fancy acronym like DOHC.

If DOHC is called squirt fap, it will immediately be dated.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

If the only thing they're doing is putting the 3.6L with the 6-speed in the Impala, I hope autorags don't start reviewing it like it's a huge update. The car has so many flaws like lack of content for one, and a new powertrain is not going to breathe new life into this thing.

I think throwing the 3.6 and 6-speed will help, but if they can retune the suspension, redo the interior, add features, and update the fascias, they could make it competitive again. It worked for Chrysler, and Ford too. The question is will GM be willing to spend the money to do any other meaningful updates beyond the powertrain. The interior is so cheap and dated looking, even in photos, and especially compared to what GM can do now.

This is NOT the 1988 W-body. I wonder if it shares any parts with a 1990 Lumina. It still sells and it is not a bad car to drive or ride in. This powertrain update is good news. Like Paulie says, hopefully there will be some sort of cosmetic update.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's time we had a new Impala. Maybe GM is waiting to see if these oppressive CAFE laws are going to be rolled back to, say... 30 mpg. Which is worlds more appropriate than what has been proposed.

GM is not waiting for CAFE roll backs that are not going to happen. The best they can hope for is they do not get moved up to 65 MPG.

The reason the Malibu and Impala are not out yet is the bankruptcy and I think we all know that here. While GM is in much better shape today they can not address all the needs at once and had to pick the profitable class vehicles that need help first.

This is why the new trucks are up early and the mid size and smaller cars. They are the ones that are selling the best right now. A new Impala should do well but it more than not will surpass the Malibu sales unless the Malibu tanks. The maket has shifted and cars in the Impala class are no longer the sales leaders. they sell well but not like they used too.

If the reports out of Saudi Arbia are true on their inability to keep up oil supplies the price will spike soon. It is no matter a point on if but when we have $5-$7 gas. In the near future the Volt even at the high price may be very appealing to many. In fact any fuel savings technology even like what Buick is moving to may really help sell cars very soon.

Edited by hyperv6

I think throwing the 3.6 and 6-speed will help, but if they can retune the suspension, redo the interior, add features, and update the fascias, they could make it competitive again. It worked for Chrysler, and Ford too. The question is will GM be willing to spend the money to do any other meaningful updates beyond the powertrain. The interior is so cheap and dated looking, even in photos, and especially compared to what GM can do now.

I agree. I don't think it'd cost an enormous amount of money to tweak the car a bit. I mean, look at Hyundai's transformation between the 08 and 09 Sonata's interior... that was a complete redesign, many features were added like dual zone climate control, nav, etc... I can't see it being terribly difficult or expensive to at least modify some of the materials/designs to incorporate the updated radio and a potential nav screen. And plood that looks better.

If the reports out of Saudi Arbia are true on their inability to keep up oil supplies the price will spike soon. It is no matter a point on if but when we have $5-$7 gas. In the near future the Volt even at the high price may be very appealing to many. In fact any fuel savings technology even like what Buick is moving to may really help sell cars very soon.

if oil get's that high, many people won't be driving, let alone buying a new car... their old ones won't be worth much either. if it can't get 40+, it's to the scrap or sitting someplace not moving.

the cost of anything new will drastically rise.

if oil get's that high, many people won't be driving, let alone buying a new car... their old ones won't be worth much either. if it can't get 40+, it's to the scrap or sitting someplace not moving.

That's going to be difficult for many since even though I live in a fairly populated area, there are no buses or subways. I have the LIRR which goes from town to town but the station is about an hour walk away. People will continue to drive, no matter what the price. They'll just have to sacrifice other things or make more carpooling alternatives. Look, Italy had about $4.50/gallon for gas in the 90's... I don't even know what it's up to now. People looked to alternatives like diesel, small scooters, small cars, small displacements, etc.

drive a lucerne and a v6 lacrosse back to back and that will approximate how much improved the Impala will be as far as powertrain. lazy to crazy in one fell swoop.

I cannot see them standing pat on the interior. If they do then why even bother. Even if the dash shape is not redone, then redo the gauges and the center stack devices. And get a new plastic spec for all the parts.

That's going to be difficult for many since even though I live in a fairly populated area, there are no buses or subways. I have the LIRR which goes from town to town but the station is about an hour walk away. People will continue to drive, no matter what the price. They'll just have to sacrifice other things or make more carpooling alternatives. Look, Italy had about $4.50/gallon for gas in the 90's... I don't even know what it's up to now. People looked to alternatives like diesel, small scooters, small cars, small displacements, etc.

didn't cali have those prices in 08, did the same thing happen, or has the recession delayed those change in trends? Hyper said $5-7...yes people will still try to get by, but will place a burden on people till they can't pay for it anymore, and still eat and provide shelter. as i've shown in the politics room before, gas is actually nearly it's all time low in relation to commodity prices, i use silver price for easy math, yet "we're" still being pushed into these cars that only started taking off in the 80's (toyota's/honda's) partly by regs like CAFE. i'm not against this tech getting into "mainstream" cars, i just try to show the ramifications of such prices on people based on the current trends.

edit: partly confused this article with the e-assist, and trying to address what was brought up.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/

Italy Milan $5.96

Edited by loki

If the only thing they're doing is putting the 3.6L with the 6-speed in the Impala, I hope autorags don't start reviewing it like it's a huge update. The car has so many flaws like lack of content for one, and a new powertrain is not going to breathe new life into this thing.

More fun to drive, maybe?

drive a lucerne and a v6 lacrosse back to back and that will approximate how much improved the Impala will be as far as powertrain. lazy to crazy in one fell swoop.

What makes you think they're going to put the 280hp version of the LaCrosse in the Impala? We may get the 252hp from the Malibu.

People will drive because they have too. They will dump large SUV's like they did Cadillac Devilles in 1973.

Might not be a bad Idea for GM to offer a Motorcycle. LOL!

What makes you think they're going to put the 280hp version of the LaCrosse in the Impala? We may get the 252hp from the Malibu.

That is all you are going to get unless they upgrade that engine to DI. I would also not expect much in trim upgrades. They will be minor if any. Why invest in a car that is on it's death bed. Money would be better spent else where or to speed up the new Impala.

That is all you are going to get unless they upgrade that engine to DI. I would also not expect much in trim upgrades. They will be minor if any. Why invest in a car that is on it's death bed. Money would be better spent else where or to speed up the new Impala.

since DI helps with MPG, i think it will be part of the program

GM is not waiting for CAFE roll backs that are not going to happen. The best they can hope for is they do not get moved up to 65 MPG.

The reason the Malibu and Impala are not out yet is the bankruptcy and I think we all know that here. While GM is in much better shape today they can not address all the needs at once and had to pick the profitable class vehicles that need help first.

This is why the new trucks are up early and the mid size and smaller cars. They are the ones that are selling the best right now. A new Impala should do well but it more than not will surpass the Malibu sales unless the Malibu tanks. The maket has shifted and cars in the Impala class are no longer the sales leaders. they sell well but not like they used too.

IIRC IMPALA sold the best for the autos of the Brand(Division or should be) so the ole gal still has life

Edited by 67impss
  • Agree 2

IIRC IMPALA sold the best for the autos of the Brand(Division or should be) so the ole gal still has life

it is what it is. for the most part a great appliance, several available options, big, and cheap. what else offer's it's size and simplicity for that kind of money...and available parts too, for replacement needs.

I can see the reason why GM wouldn't invest any money into the Impala knowing it's going out in a couple of years and that it's already so old, but I can't imagine some incredibly simple changes would help it like maybe a modified grille or new taillamps or updated gauges or even as simple as replacing the plood/metal with a different plood and/or metal that looked substantially better. I mean, if this thing is the fleet queen, then EVERYONE is seeing an Impala and thinking this is representative of Chevy now. The Chevy's I've been in as of late have been in a different class than this W-body.

It is cheap and only profitable because the tooling was paid off long ago.

You can push a car like for a long time but gm is near the limit.

you mean BEYOND the limit.

Hyundai gave the last gen Sonata a new interior for basically only its last year or so.....it barely took them anything to do. Why can't GM mobilize and afford to just put a new frickin dash in the car?

you mean BEYOND the limit.

Hyundai gave the last gen Sonata a new interior for basically only its last year or so.....it barely took them anything to do. Why can't GM mobilize and afford to just put a new frickin dash in the car?

Hyundai has a comparatively small product line and wasn't in bankruptcy the last couple of years..GM has a vast product line to spread the $$$$ across.

Ford has used the same dashes in the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Ranger for the last 15 years, so GM probably figures they can do the same thing...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Hyundai has a comparatively small product line and wasn't in bankruptcy the last couple of years..GM has a vast product line to spread the $$$$ across.

Ford has used the same dashes in the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Ranger for the last 15 years, so GM probably figures they can do the same thing...

It is not that GM figures they can do the same as much as they have had to do this.

Lets just hope now on the other side we will not have to see them do this again. The W Impala did it's job and then some but it is time for the old girl to retire as soon as GM can get the new car ready.

Remove the fleet sales and take another look. Even with the tooling paid off long ago on the main structures I would say profits are not as good as they could be with a new car.

Volume is nice but profits rule. The old car is doing it's job buying time and filling out plant production and that is good enough for now. The sooner they can move on the better.