Sign in to follow this  
BrewSwillis

Gay group: "Caliber" Ad is anything but cute

O.K., there seems to be a large number of gay people that read this forum, and I was wondering if this Dodge Caliber ad is offensive to you? What do the straight people think? :

First watch the commercial, if you haven't seen it (I hope this link still works, as my company firewall now blocks youtube.com):

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/adspromotions...iber-162972.php

Then read this Detroit News article, and let me know if think these people are reading too much into the ad:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../604060380/1148

Here we go again...........flame city!

Silly little fairy cracks me up and is aimed at a FAIRY, you know, the tinkerbell kind. Leave it up to a bunch of over-sensitive minorities to find some kind of offense in a funny commercial. Yes, gays are just another over-sensitive minority.

So they turned the guy into an effeminate homosexual stereotype, it is gays who created that stereotype. Ever watch queer eye? They don't sound too butch to me! Ever been to San Francisco (My company is headquartered there)? Meet a whole bunch of effeminate homosexual stereotypes out there. In other words, how can gays be offended when the world portrays them as they portray themselves?

I wish everyone would just worry about their own lives and stop trying to control everyone else's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by funkypunnk

It doesn't really offend me and I do think it is amusing. I get the point of the ad and it is clever the way it plays off its 'cute' Neon predecessor. However, I also have to add that when I see it, there's a little something in me does get tweaked in a negative way.

The first time I saw it I immediately thought, "Oh boy, this is going to get a reaction." It made me wonder why they didn't do something to avoid the potential controversy like refer to the 'fairy' as a 'pixie' and instead of turning the guy into what could easily be considered a stereotype, they could have made him look like a clown or something. I think the meaning of the ad would have been the same but it would have sidestepped the issue.

Silly little fairy cracks me up and is aimed at a FAIRY, you know, the tinkerbell kind. Leave it up to a bunch of over-sensitive minorities to find some kind of offense in a funny commercial. Yes, gays are just another over-sensitive minority.

So they turned the guy into an effeminate homosexual stereotype, it is gays who created that stereotype. Ever watch queer eye? They don't sound too butch to me! Ever been to San Francisco (My company is headquartered there)? Meet a whole bunch of effeminate homosexual stereotypes out there. In other words, how can gays be offended when the world portrays them as they protray themselves?

I wish everyone would just worry about their own lives and stop trying to control evryone else's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get OVER yourself.....

Gays are not an "over-sensitive minority..."

There's a minority of gay people that are over-sensitive......

BIG difference....

And, for the record, I could care less about the Caliber commercial.....it's probably pretty funny (I haven't seen it, but heard about it.)

And before you over-generalize about how "gays protray themselves" why don't you get out of your house and go meet some?

It's the maybe 5-10% of the (gay) population that gets any sort of media attention....just like any other "group." (black people, hispanics, poor-driving asians, etc..)

Get OVER yourself.....

BIG difference....

And, for the record, I could care less about the Caliber commercial.....it's probably pretty funny (I haven't seen it, but heard about it.)

And before you over-generalize about how "gays protray themselves" why don't you get out of your house and go meet some?

It's the maybe 5-10% of the (gay) population that gets any sort of media attention....just like any other "group."  (black people, hispanics, poor-driving asians, etc..)

Im not a gay dude or anything, but I dont think that has anything to do with homosexuality. he just looks like he came from Beneton or something. Also- since when did fairy tales and toys become gay?

That's really over-reacting.

People will say anything is offensive. And people will say that anything is gay.

What everyone needs is a hobby.

What everyone needs is a hobby.

For realz.

The line of that Detroit News article that cracked me up the most:

The way he delivers the line is more indicating of how he might say that to a man.

How do you figure that? It's a fairy zapped by her own magic..."Silly little fairy" seems pretty appropriate. Also, straight guys usually don't use the word "silly" when we're being homophobic...I've heard plenty of "stupids" but never a silly. Plus that guy delivers it pretty sing-song.........how the hell is that "more indicating of how he might say that to a man"? :unsure:

Yea time to get a life...

Stereotypes exist for a reason...there's a little grain of truth in them somewhere. You have two options: be offended, or make fun of the stereotypes.

Also, I am kinda on board about the over-sensitive minority thing to an extent...let's be honest...when has a white male been truly offended by the "white people can't dance" or the "white people can't play basketball" stereotypes? Seriously...I've never ever ever ever seen someone get pissed off and offended because of those...the reaction is usually "Eh, whatevs."

To tell you the truth, and maybe I'm naive (probably not since I'm fairly open minded, and almost 30), but I didn't even think of a gay slant to this commercial until I read this article.

I never thought that the "biker type" guy was transformed into a gay guy. I took it that he was transfomed into a rich, pretty-boy, country club type of guy. In fact, I wouldn't even consider that look to be gay stereotype.

The dogs however.......they were gay! :lol:

i dunno. we thought (wife and i) that the spot was a pretty comical.

i am greek/italian. if i got pissed everytime someone of my nationality was made fun of...................

the guy was so "out there" that i cannot understand any gays being offended. c'mon, i know a few G&L's and non of them dress like that.

To tell you the truth, and maybe I'm naive (probably not since I'm fairly open minded, and almost 30), but I didn't even think of a gay slant to this commercial until I read this article.

I never thought that the "biker type" guy was transformed into a gay guy.  I took it that he was transfomed into a rich, pretty-boy, country club type of guy.  In fact, I wouldn't even consider that look to be gay stereotype.

The dogs however.......they were gay! :lol:

thats exactly what I thought. I'm willing to bet that's what the creators of this had in mind too.

I thought the guy looked more gay before that transformation. He went from pet night at the Faultline to bad 80's prep drag.

No gay guy would wear-pleat front shorts........

these people need REAL jobs!

i thought he became just a "pretty boy"

can we poll this issue?

Edited by jbartley

So they turned the guy into an effeminate homosexual stereotype, it is gays who created that stereotype. Ever watch queer eye? They don't sound too butch to me! Ever been to San Francisco (My company is headquartered there)? Meet a whole bunch of effeminate homosexual stereotypes out there. In other words, how can gays be offended when the world portrays them as they protray themselves?

I wish everyone would just worry about their own lives and stop trying to control evryone else's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've GOT to be kidding me?! I didn't find the commercial at all offensive--however, I find everything you wrote except the last line offensive.

I do not walk around like that. I am not effeminate, and I honestly have only met ONE in person in all the years I've been out.

I can see where some of the gay population might be offended... but it's not a very good commercial in its own right. Just blame it on a crappy commercial for a subpar car.

Oh, and I'm gay.

[/newsflash :P ]

Edited by Cadavillac

Paulie...you're just proving his point by getting all offended over his post instead of just rolling your eyes and laughing to yourself at the ignoramus's expense.

I thought the commercial was just kinda "eh".

I didn't get offended over it and I'm gay.

I did think to myself "Some Human Rights Commision types are going to get their panties in a wad about this"

Not all gay people a mindless whining minorities.

I tell some of the best gay jokes around.

Not all gay people a mindless whining minorities.

This is true. The ones I'm friends with are pretty hilarious.

If you can't laugh at yourself, you shouldn't laugh at anyone.

That said, what? Man, talk about making something out of nothing.

If they wanted him to look Gay, he'd be wearing this:

Posted Image

NOW, THATS FUNNY!

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles

O.K., there seems to be a large number of gay people that read this forum, and I was wondering if this Dodge Caliber ad is offensive to you?  What do the straight people think? :

First watch the commercial, if you haven't seen it (I hope this link still works, as my company firewall now blocks youtube.com):

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/adspromotions...iber-162972.php

Then read this Detroit News article, and let me know if think these people are reading too much into the ad:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../604060380/1148

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you take it in the ass?

Me too... not to mention I do one hell of a "flamer" impression. :AH-HA_wink:

I really don't get this...ITS A DAMN COMMERCIAL! I know my brother wouldn't be offended in any way shape or form...and apparently most of the people here aren't either...it IS these kind of people that put those negative stereotypes in the media where they get attention. If they are so offended they should just change the channel when the commercial comes on or boycott the company if they're that upset...I think they are hurting themselves more by complaining about it. Plus I never noticed ANYTHING 'homophobic' or 'gay' about this commercial until I read the article about it. :stupid:

Get OVER yourself.....

BIG difference....

It's the maybe 5-10% of the (gay) population that gets any sort of media attention....just like any other "group."  (black people, hispanics, poor-driving asians, etc..)

What part of the statement about mycompany being headquartered in San Fran didn't you read? 25% of the employees out there are gay and of that group at least half of the males, or a fourth of the fourth, are highly effeminate flamers. I have met more gays than the average straight guy. I do understand that there are "normal" gays, but unfortunately they are represented by gays who have problems with things like tinkerbell getting called a stupid fairy or a guy being turned into a flamer. Get over it. The only way to not be ridiculed in this society is to approach some assemblance of mainstream conformity. There just isn't that much humor in being normal. When I was a fat adolescent, I was made fun of, so I lost weight and the jokes stopped. I never whined about it, I never reported anyone or sued them for violating my civil rights. I didn't even retaliate as they were right, I was fat. And some people are gay. Don't whine about negative portrayals of gayness in the media, just accept it. If there were not flamers, there wouldn't be portrayals of flamers. If there were not butch-dikes there would not be portrayals of butch-dikes.

For the record there is one subset of gays I really like.....Lipstick Lesbians......Fun to watch.

Maybe BrokeBackside Mountain might help change the image a little, but then again it is a movie about gay sheepherders (not cowboys) and what is so surprising about a sheepherder being gay. You know what they say, Montana....where the men are men and the sheep are scared!!!!!!!

Flame away but before you do, I wasn't the one who made the fairy joke and I am not the one who perpetuates the gay stereotype, I am just the heterosexual father and husband who has to insulate his children from these images and I am getting tired of having this crap shoved in their faces! :banghead: