Any changes to your "automotive family" soon?

Anyone else have thoughts of changing up the automotive family?

For a while, I've wanted to add the following vehicles to my car family:

1975 Caprice Classic convertible

1977 Caprice Classic sedan

1978 Caprice Classic coupe

1989 Caprice Classic 9C1

1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

But, now ... the only vehicle I want to add to my family is a 1989 Caprice Classic (sedan or 9C1), to be the "summer" daily driver to my "winter warrior" 1979 Caprice Classic sedan.

Along with that, I've decided that, if the "right" '1989 CC (good shape, FI, cruise control, A/C, power, road trip worthy, etc.) comes along, I'll probably sell my 1972 MC. Why? Because my '72 MC is the only "expendable" MC I own ... the '76 is the year my parents had; the '79 is my first car; the '81 was my parents' car; and the '87 has sentimental reasons for the year....

But, even that plan could change, if my next checkup indicates I need more surgery ...and/or... I buy my own house....

In the meantime, my newest cars will have to do ... ~50 of them. I bought 80 cars, ~30 of which I bought for my nephew, who is learning what each car is VERY quickly!

I bought these 2 for Dad:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32248265&id=1300282613&l=23a0c9524f

I bought these for my nephew:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32248270&id=1300282613&l=23a0c9524f

And, these are mine:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32248267&id=1300282613&l=23a0c9524f

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32248268&id=1300282613&l=23a0c9524f

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32248269&id=1300282613&l=23a0c9524f

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_10.15.11_Volo.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nothing stays the same" __ Sick Puppies __ 'Maybe'

Going to be adding an LT1 Fleetwood Brougham to the fleet as soon as I can find one in acceptable condition for the right price... I graduate with my Finance degree in late 2012 and within a year would like to be in a NEW car so I can park my Impala (no way am I getting rid of this thing- sentimental attachment) and Fleetwood. Good MPGs are a must (4cyl) so probably a high spec Cruze or Malibu- maybe a Verano.

I am going to contemplate selling my first car, because I have not touched it in many years and it's 3rd on my car 'to-get-to' list. It also makes no sense to restore it financially, in that I can buy a beautiful driver for half the cost to do this one up (and mine is in relative great shape- needs cosmetics and some mechanics due to age, but no metal or damage repair).

And if I don't get something done on vehicle #2 on the list this year, that may go as well.

After I test drive some hatchbacks, I may decide to keep what I have and simply install a sail to the roof. Or I might fall in love and abandon truck ownership. It's not like there is no precedent for that in my history... '86 Camaro 5.0, '92 Golf, 2 '98 Bugs, and an '00 GTI, all hatches.

The Jeep just keeps rolling along..127k now. This weekend, replaced the shocks, serpentine belt, some fluids and bulbs. Going on a little road trip this weekend into next week.

I'd like to buy a new car, but not without a garage. Moving out of AZ is my first priority, and that's still a ways off, but in the short term.

I'd like a convertible, but I'm not seeing a path towards one that doesn't require Inceptioning the wife...

I really want a convertible. But without a garage, it would deteriorate from the vile sun, bird poop, cats, etc. here. It will have to wait..

The MINI is giving some trouble and is close to 8 years old, so I am investigating both 1.4T automatic and 1.7 diesel Astras (both 5-door and wagon body styles - I like the wagon). I might change from go-kart driver to responsible driver after all :o

Edited by ZL-1

Well, the lease on my Malibu ends in a couple of months so I'm trying to decide what comes next. It takes me a long time to decide on a vehicle so I've been thinking about this for several months already. As is probably true with most people, I have conflicting wants and needs. This time around I may end up with a minivan.

I've already started getting grief over the idea from people I know. I'm a single guy with no kids but I'm leaning towards one because they're big, they're quiet, they ride nicely, they get sort of decent gas mileage, I can carry stuff when necessary and I can sleep in it when I go camping without needing to worry about the weather.

Maybe I'll go for the Dodge 'Man Van' to up the excitement quotient.

Interesting choice, usonia. Stow-N-Go FTW... flat load floor in no time for sleeping. High seating position and plenty of glass for easy visibility.

Yep, that's the appeal for me. They aren't very exciting, but I have a real practical streak in me and the minivan seems to fit the bill. I've owned two vehicles at the same time before but I don't want to go through that again so my one vehicle needs to do a lot of things. Plus, I've never owned a minivan so it will be a new experience if I get one.

I am going to contemplate selling my first car, because I have not touched it in many years and it's 3rd on my car 'to-get-to' list. It also makes no sense to restore it financially, in that I can buy a beautiful driver for half the cost to do this one up (and mine is in relative great shape- needs cosmetics and some mechanics due to age, but no metal or damage repair).

And if I don't get something done on vehicle #2 on the list this year, that may go as well.

Wow....

I'm just mad they got rid of "Swivel 'n Go"... That was an awesome feature.

Agreed...would love to have a mid seventies Cutty with that...

On the new vehicle side, no chance unless I hit the Mega Millions or NJ Lottery (which would require me to play more than I do now, which is nil). The wife has a little over 3 years left on her 72 month loan on the '08 G6, and unless it's absolutely needed, we'll be keeping that car payment-free for 2-3 years aferwards. The '06 Envoy just celebrated its one-year anniversary with me yesterday, March 12, and is not close to being fully paid off (there's more than a few years left there). Unless a contingency plan is needed (wife wants a new Buick LaCrosse if that ever comes to be, and I have no idea what I could afford <truck, SUV> to replace the Envoy), a new vehicle is not on the radar for the wife or me.

Now my step-son turns 17 in April, minumim driving age in NJ (probationary license). He failed the written driver's test last school year (Jan '10); a very nice Phys Ed teacher this past January offered to re-test students that failed last year. He studied that driver's manual from cover to cover, and passed. His grandmother and him split the cost of a driving school's 6-hour behind the wheel course, and he now has his 16 y-o's learner's permit with his driver's test scheduled in late September. Now he is saving up for a car, though my wife and I think he needs to worry about other things than a car (like what he plans to do re: post high school plans first). I'm for his gaining some freedom and independence, but our limited funds leave us unable to help him much. He is the one in the house most likely to get a vehicle, albeit very used, this year.

I still have that beautiful white and gray '87 Pontiac Grand Prix LE on my radar, though lack the necessary funds to make that happen now. The GM dealership it is at is no longer a new vehicle dealership - first, they lost Pontiac in 2009, and then at some point late in 2010 they lost the Cadillac franchise (it is now just an AC Delco authorized repair facility). Last I checked (October), the two '80s GPs were still parked inside the garage covered up (I need to get over there soon to update this info). If things work out, I may try to obtain this car in the next 12 months (by work out, that means take the meager savings I have leftover from last summer and combine that with money I earn from selling off toys & some automobilia taking up a lot of space in my basement). Of course a wrench in the gears would be finding a '55-'57 GMC that would take the place of the '87 GP...

No other vehicle purchases needed by family members or close friends to the best of my knowledge. Which sucks for me, because I like helping people shop for cars (and stopping at dealerships for brochures and info) :)

The Fiesta brochure I got has the dealer's name printed on the front "Courtesy Of", and inside the back cover, there is a short history and info on the dealer itself. A cool touch for the brochures, saleskid says all Ford dealer brochures are like that now.

• Agree 1

You never know with me, but as of now no plans. Always thinking of something. As my current position advances, by June I should have a new Acura to drive as well, demo time.

Family the same. Mom just got her Terrain, no more Camaro. Dad is dandy, on his projects. Brothers Regal needs a new powertrain, but he both won't do that or replace the car, so who knows.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand what you mean, balthazar, but I would advise against selling your first car. I know way too many people that have sold their first car for similar reasons ... and then highly regretted it later.....

The only other car I want ... a 2011 Dodge Charger, Toxic Orange with tan/neutral interior trim. I wrote about it here...

http://www.motorgnomes.com/2011/03/charging-forth/

But, I can't exactly justify the expense of a new car ... especially given some additional health issues, possibly more surgery, and/or purchasing a house....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_04.16.11_Dwight.IL *

*** RE-OPENED 3rd GEN MC (1978,1979,1980) FORUM > http://thirdgenmontes.proboards.com/index.cgi ***

"Hood slidin' like Bo Duke"__Dierks Bently__'What Was I Thinking?'

How could one replace a perfect car like Marie, my 1984 Chevrolet Celebrity. She averages 26 to 28 mpg in the city, seats 6, is able to carry any and all things I need, can tow up to 3500 lbs (though I have not tried and do wonder how the little 4-cyl. could move anything that heavy), has a $0 payment plan, takes on dirt roads as if she was a 4x4 Suburban, needs little to no money when repairs are needed and is as reliable as anything money can buy.

The big question is, why would someone need anything else?

OK, OK, so it takes her 15 seconds to get to 60 mph, she floats when I take a corner so I have to obey speed limits and she isn't as quite as a new Buick, but past that she is all love.

I'm not one to say never to something different....Maybe a HHR 2LT 2.4L auto will come my way. If it has a sunroof and leather I deduct, if it has a luggage rack they get no extra. If it looks anything the ones in the links ... keep it in your garage.

My link

or this

My link

Edited by RjION

I understand what you mean, balthazar, but I would advise against selling your first car. I know way too many people that have sold their first car for similar reasons ... and then highly regretted it later.....

I'm with Knightfan. It isn't the cost of the redo you should be thinking about, but rather the fun per mile that you would get out of redoing your first car over getting something else. Of my 40+ cars, there are many I wish I would have kept, but most importantly, I wish I would have kept my first car (1977 Chevy Nova that was just like my Opa's who passed away a few years prior to me getting my first car).

At this point Marie is never going away. If I get remarried, my new wife will need to understand that the car and I come together or not at all.

Well I'll be saying goodby to my 2005 mustang GT this month. I have an offer on the table good till the end of the month from carmax and I'm just waiting for my title to get here from the DMV since I'm an idiot and I lost my original. It's been the best car I've ever owned. I'm the 2nd owner having bought it 3 years ago when it was at 48,000 miles. Now it's at 79,000 and over the course of the cars entire life (according to what the oringinal owner did) It's had 1 new set of tires and brake pads (on his dime shortly before he sold it - also it's still original rotors) and a new battery and parking brake cable on my watch. Only other repair it's ever has was a throttle body adjustment to eliminate rough idle that was covered under warranty for the orininal owner. Pretty great for an early build first year car that was new from the ground up!

Anyways I'm moving closer to the city and won't need a car to complicate things right now since I would never consider street parking int he burrows around NYC. That said I like taking trips too much not to harve a car longterm and the rest of my family is moving from CT to virginia within the next 6 months because my brother just got a job at UVA. Between my trips and wanting to drive to see my family I'll need a car again soon.

So sometime 6-12 months from now I am going to indulge myself and get a custom order 2012 mustang GT premium, manual with HID, nav, brembo package, 3.73 gears and a few other minor options. Its going to come out to about 37500 MSRP and I plan on putting 12 down, financing through my bank so I can get the most I can back in cash incentives and also getting a ford X-plan through a friend which will hopeully enable me to get this pony with no more then 20k financed out the door. I plan on keeping her forever....

So I'll miss my current mustang which ahs been a great car to me but I can't wait to get my new 5.0 sometime over the course of the next 12 months.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with Knightfan. It isn't the cost of the redo you should be thinking about, but rather the fun per mile that you would get out of redoing your first car over getting something else. Of my 40+ cars, there are many I wish I would have kept, but most importantly, I wish I would have kept my first car (1977 Chevy Nova that was just like my Opa's who passed away a few years prior to me getting my first car).

Exactly!

Any pics of your '77 Nova, by chance?

At this point Marie is never going away. If I get remarried, my new wife will need to understand that the car and I come together or not at all.

Glad Marie ... your Celebrity ... isn't going away. But, I missed something along the way, didn't realize you weren't married anymore...hope all is well for you. AND ... I hope to see you when I'm in Oregon in July!

Oh yeah. Very important details I forgot... It will be black with a saddle interior.

That is a stunning color combination. :)

And, Drew ... sorry the Lincoln didn't pan out for you..... :(

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * RT_06.2011_us66+NW USA

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It seemed they'd already forgotten we'd came" __ Toad The Wet Sprocket __ 'Walk On The Ocean'

Update... I'm planning on ordering my mustang much sooner now 3-6 months from now! I decided I want to relocate to a more afordable area of the country and this would allow me to get a new car.

. . . I missed something along the way, didn't realize you weren't married anymore...hope all is well for you. AND ... I hope to see you when I'm in Oregon in July!

My ex was abusing my children (she most likely has Aspergers), so when she decided to run off with a guy old enough to be her dad, I made sure to pack her bags and shove her out the door. It has been a year since I have been single, and I have not been this happy in a LONG time.

What are you coming to Oregon for?

• 2 weeks later...
. . . I missed something along the way, didn't realize you weren't married anymore...hope all is well for you. AND ... I hope to see you when I'm in Oregon in July!

My ex was abusing my children (she most likely has Aspergers), so when she decided to run off with a guy old enough to be her dad, I made sure to pack her bags and shove her out the door. It has been a year since I have been single, and I have not been this happy in a LONG time.

Wow ... very sorry about what happened with your ex, but glad that you are happy now. That makes all the difference in the world, sometimes.

What are you coming to Oregon for?

My annual road trip:

:)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *

"Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed" __ Linkin Park __ 'Leave Out All The Rest'