HYUNDAI SONATA!!!!

Are you sick of the Hyundai Sonata styling by now?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like / still like the styling of the Hyundai Sonata?

• NO! NOT LIKING IT AT ALL / NOT LIKING IT MUCH ANYMORE / NEVER DID LIKE IT !!!!!!
    • DON'T CARE EITHER WAY!!!!!
    • YES!!!! IT'S STILL SEXY HOT CUTTING EDGE GORGEOUS!!!!

simple.....sick of the Sonata yet?

I know it's the car that saved the world, but.....

the new Malibu is starting to INTRIGUE me.

The Optima is even starting to get on my nerves.

The Regal still i likey.

But the Sonata is already looking tired and cheap and overdone to me.

Edited by regfootball

I hated it when it first came out, but it's already taken it's position as "meh, another GAS" in my mind.

I till like the Optima a lot. I saw a black loaded up one in the store parking lot today drive by... it's easily the best of the asian family sedans in styling right now.

The Optima is by far, the better looking vehicle. I think people are drawn less to the Sonata's looks, and more to the fuel economy, and features/price ratio. It is much nicer than the Camry and Accord, though neither are hard acts to beat.

The regular Sonata isn't bad looking from the side and rear, the front not so much..it's the hybrid that is truly revolting up front. I haven't seen a Optima yet, they look pretty nice from the photos.

Styling-wise, I like the Mazda6...very clean. Of late model FWD midsizers I've driven a few as rentals-- Sebring, Fusion, Malibu and Mazda6..I think I liked the 6 the most overall for interior/exterior design, roadability, features, etc.

I like it more now than at first. On the other hand, I'm finding some details of the Optima to be overdone, like the front bumper.

I am also starting to get cold on the Optima. Almost tries to hard. Particularly revolting to me is the arcing chrome band atop the side glass, going all the way to the back. Just like the chrome band extending atop the front fenders on the Sonata, its just trying too hard to be special.

The front bumper on the Optima indeed is too busy. I think the Optima sits a bit too low, and its overhangs are too big. I would also raise the cabin an inch or so. It almost looks too low slung.

Edited by regfootball

Unlike the new VW Jetta, which is a timeless, recognizable VW design, the Sonata is a one-shot deal, it will have no continuity I betcha, just like most every Asian design. Trendy... which gets tiresome quickly.

By starting this poll, you simply put the Sonata back in the light and gave it more attention...

... none of those choices suit me. I like still it. I'm not insanely crazy with it.

Unlike the new VW Jetta, which is a timeless, recognizable VW design, the Sonata is a one-shot deal, it will have no continuity I betcha, just like most every Asian design. Trendy... which gets tiresome quickly.

You're joking, right? I'm pretty sure that Hondas and Toyotas have pretty linear design evolutions. Your VW just looks warmed over...and cheaper.

You're joking, right? I'm pretty sure that Hondas and Toyotas have pretty linear design evolutions. Your VW just looks warmed over...and cheaper.

No I am not joking. Please post photos in a timeline format and label them proving your point. There is very little, if any, linearity to successive generations of Asian vehicles that I can point and laugh at.

The new Jetta will not grow stale, it is very linear and conservative.

No I am not joking. Please post photos in a timeline format and label them proving your point. There is very little, if any, linearity to successive generations of Asian vehicles that I can point and laugh at.

The new Jetta will not grow stale, it is very linear and conservative.

The new Jetta looks like they took the old Jetta, added a pinch of Audi, and then stripped 100% of the character and flare out of the design. It is very conservative and has the VWG design language, but it's just so boring. You're right that the Sonata is a one-shot thing. Hyundai/Kia are still looking for their "thing" and trying all sorts of new stuff. It does mean that the designs probably won't age well and desirability will fade off quickly.

And just for funsies:

hondacivic_1992_to_2012.jpg

1984, 1992, and 2006 were the only real shakeups in the design language. Otherwise it has been very evolutionary, and it has grown in size steadily every generation.

Throw in the Accord, Camry, Corolla, Avalon, Altima, Sentra...they are all pretty evolutionary. In fact, I can't think of too many American cars that were evolutionary throughout the generations--the Americans have pretty strong brand styling vocabularies, but the individual models don't really show too much of an evolutionary succession...and in GM's case that's been a very good thing lately.

• Disagree 1

The Corolla isn't evolutionary, it's frozen in time.

The Altima has only really had two generations (with the Stanza preceding it) the first Altima was a large departure from the Stanza and the second generation Altima was a large departure from the first. The current Altima is just a restyle of the second generation.

The Sentra has been all over the place.

You are right that most American cars aren't particularly evolutionary either

Yeah, but in some ways, that's good. It hasn't turned into a fugly Sentra or whatnot. Sure, its not cutting edge, but its a reasonably attractive, outdated plain automobile.

It just has a head start on becoming a "Classic".

Yeah, but in some ways, that's good. It hasn't turned into a fugly Sentra or whatnot. Sure, its not cutting edge, but its a reasonably attractive, outdated plain automobile.

Indeed... just ask Enterprise.

BFD. 95% of the prattling going on here is about cars featured on rental lots at some point.

You guys have to get off this rental car bashing thing. As if Malibus, Cruzes and Camaros aren't on rental lots. One day, probably soon, the Volt will be on a rental lot.

BFD. 95% of the prattling going on here is about cars featured on rental lots at some point.

You guys have to get off this rental car bashing thing. As if Malibus, Cruzes and Camaros aren't on rental lots. One day, probably soon, the Volt will be on a rental lot.

Volt has been on a rental lot as a novelty item since it went on sale..... same with the Camaro.

The point about the Corolla was that years ago they weren't on rental lots in any great numbers... and now they are.

Corolla is crap. Tinny construction. Buzzy obnoxious motor. I'd put it dead last in the class.

Of course, none of these cars is in the same league as the Hyundai Sonata. I hear that Israel and Palestine are now BFFs because both countries finally found something to agree on - that the Sonata is the best car evar!

Volt has been on a rental lot as a novelty item since it went on sale..... same with the Camaro.

As a novelty item. I'm talking about as a real rental... One you can get without waiting 2 weeks. Camaro is not a novelty in the rental world anymore.

The point about the Corolla was that years ago they weren't on rental lots in any great numbers... and now they are.

Well, thats because certain companies stopped giving away cars for cost or less. So the rentals are going to pick up whatever has the lowest cost over the 1~2 years the rental uses them. So initial cost, maintenance and resale come into play. Unless Toyota is dumping Corollas at less than cost, this is a positive for the Corolla.

My GF's Corolla is costing her very little, even with a few hiccups. I abhor the darn thing... but I can't fault its reliability or frugality. I'd love to see her get a Dodge Charger... for a bit more comfort... as she can afford it... but she's not interested in anything but the basics... reliability and cost to maintain.