Cadillac is a big tease on their New Small Car - ATS teaser shot

Cadillac is a big tease on their new small car

gallery_51_134_72159.jpg

August 4th, 2011 - Drew Dowdell - Cheersandgears.com

Mark Reuss showed a hint of the upcoming Cadillac compact codenamed the ATS. The ATS launches in Summer 2012 and will be built at GM's Lansing Grand River Assembly along with the Cadillac CTS. In a bit of a tip of the hand, Mr. Reuss called the ATS "codenamed", a distinction not used when he discussed the upcoming Cadillac XTS. This may mean that the ATS name has not yet been finalized.

The wheels are the only thing that remind me of MB... those kinda remind me of AMG wheels.

The body looks like it has softer lines than previous Cadillacs. Still angular but more subdued.

So when and where do they unveil everything?

As far as MB, the proportions, front fender and downward angled side crease remind me of the C-class....it has good, strong RWD proportions that won't be mistaken for some lowly FWD appliance.

Hard to tell, but do the headlights go waaaay up the fender along the hood and fender line?

If the CTS wasn't named CTS, this car would make sense to be named CTS since it's the C-seg entry.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Nothing jumps out as being wrong or out of place. No gimmicks like the fake vents on the Buicks, no dubious fanny packs on the trunk like the first previous 7-series, no clutter on the flanks. I'll reserve judgement until I see the whole car from all vantage points. But so far, no red flags.

Now if GM will only...

• Keep the base curb weight under 3500 lbs
  • Come up with an 8-speed or a wide ratio 6-speed
  • Stuff further refined versions of the 2.0T, 3.6 and 6.2 power plants in there
  • Keep it all variants in the 30~45K bracket

They'll have a winner.

I'm getting a slight mercedes vibe from that shot.. and not in a good way... I really need to see more to judge it.

I also first thought of Mercedes C-class when seen in profile view, however in a good way. I think the C-class (and any Benz sedan) looks quite good from side view. So far this looks promising to me. But I agree we need to see more to really judge it, teasers don't tell much.

• Agree 1

It's been said many times already, but I have to put my "+1" with those who saw Benz C-Class at first, second and third glances. Want to see a 100-picture gallery taken by someone other than a GM photographer to form a complete judgment, though.

• Agree 1

I can see why some of you see a lot of Benz in the design--I think it's the very formal crease from headlights to C-pillar coupled with the more upright, formal hood height. I'm OK with it, just as I'm OK with the LaCrosse bearing more than a passing profile resemblance to the ES350.

• Agree 1

It looks pretty much like what I've expected so far... A CTS put through a funhouse mirror or a Photoshop stretch and shrink.

Unfortunately, looking at the size of the wheels and comparing it to the door outlines, I find its size to be a detriment... but if you want a tiny 3 series sedan, I guess it could be desirable.

It looks pretty much like what I've expected so far... A CTS put through a funhouse mirror or a Photoshop stretch and shrink.

Unfortunately, looking at the size of the wheels and comparing it to the door outlines, I find its size to be a detriment... but if you want a tiny 3 series sedan, I guess it could be desirable.

but that's the market that Cadillac is lacking in and needs to be in to compete well.

For me, it's a certain malproportioning it shares with the C-Class around the third quarter of the profile... the rear door cutline, quarter glass, beltline height, C-pillar softness, apparent small wheelarch... plus that sharp line coming back from the headlight, and the rear, side cutline of the hood and A-pillar area.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a cool car though, and maybe after the aforementioned gallery is published, my perceptions will change and all I'll see is Cadillac.

but that's the market that Cadillac is lacking in and needs to be in to compete well.

What is the sedan/coupe split on the 3 series? I seem to see more coupes than sedans. This ATS is not a coupe, yet.

Edit: Also, I am not convinced that there is huge marketplace for a sub-CTS car.

Edited by SAmadei

What is the sedan/coupe split on the 3 series? I seem to see more coupes than sedans. This ATS is not a coupe, yet.

Edit: Also, I am not convinced that there is huge marketplace for a sub-CTS car.

:confused0071: The 3-series, C-Class, and A4 don't convince you of that?

The ATS is already known to be coming in 4 bodystyles - Sedan, Coupe, Convertible, Wagon.

although I have my doubts on the wagon.

The ATS is already known to be coming in 4 bodystyles - Sedan, Coupe, Convertible, Wagon.

The C-segment is the highest volume premium segment, isn't it? Certainly in NA I see a lot more 3-series than 5-series...

I never seem to see many of them, aside from 3 series. Perhaps they just aren't that popular in South Jersey towards the shore. I guess when I drive, I must filter them out as speedbumps. See lots of larger Audis and Mercs.

I never seem to see many of them, aside from 3 series. Perhaps they just aren't that popular in South Jersey towards the shore. I guess when I drive, I must filter them out as speedbumps. See lots of larger Audis and Mercs.

There are regional differences....the market isn't the same worldwide as it is in your area.

There are regional differences....the market isn't the same worldwide as it is in your area.

I live in an area powered by tourism. People drive from all around to vacation here. Even Quebec and Ontario... We normally get a pretty standard cross-section of cars. Unless the 3 series, C-class and A4 are not suitable for vacationing... but we get lots of other quasi-impractical cars... Kappas, Vettes, Lotuses, Lambos...

I live in an area powered by tourism. People drive from all around to vacation here. Even Quebec and Ontario... We normally get a pretty standard cross-section of cars. Unless the 3 series, C-class and A4 are not suitable for vacationing... but we get lots of other quasi-impractical cars... Kappas, Vettes, Lotuses, Lambos...

Good for you, but I live in an area fueled by tourism, too, and tourists don't rent or drive in those kinds of vehicles--they go for Mustangs or Sebrings. Everywhere I go, whether it's Orange County, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Malibu, San Luis Obispo, San Antonio, Houston, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Chicago, DC, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Sanibel Island, St. Petersburg, Boca Raton, even Cleveland...the wannabe-rich and the kids of the rich sure seem to love their 3er/A4/C...hell the 3er coupe or convertible is THE CAR to have at USC on The Row...followed very closely by the last-gen Jetta.

Good for you, but I live in an area fueled by tourism, too, and tourists don't rent or drive in those kinds of vehicles--they go for Mustangs or Sebrings. Everywhere I go, whether it's Orange County, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Malibu, San Luis Obispo, San Antonio, Houston, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Chicago, DC, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Sanibel Island, St. Petersburg, Boca Raton, even Cleveland...the wannabe-rich and the kids of the rich sure seem to love their 3er/A4/C...hell the 3er coupe or convertible is THE CAR to have at USC on The Row...followed very closely by the last-gen Jetta.

Where I'm used to seeing lots of compact premium models are places where professional people work...think suburban office parks, downtown parking garages, etc. And at upscale malls on weekends. At Starbucks anytime. Lots of 'em in the Denver and Phoenix metros....remember seeing a lot of Audis around Denver because of the AWD.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Where I'm used to seeing lots of compact premium models are places where professional people work...think suburban office parks, downtown parking garages, etc. And at upscale malls on weekends. At Starbucks anytime. Lots of 'em in the Denver and Phoenix metros....remember seeing a lot of Audis around Denver because of the AWD.

Yup. Exactly the kind of jobs that Trading Up people work.

The photo here makes it clear that this car will have a German tone to it while still keeping the A&S look. It may have a similar German feel but will not be mistaken for a Benz or BMW. When you see it you will know it is a Cadillac.

I see this car like the group Metallica. When they made their fame they were hard edged thrash. As time went on they made the Black album and pulled in fans from all demographics that would have never listen to them before. They became stronger as they became a little more mainstream. I see this in the A&S cars. While the first ones were sharp edged and loved by some they also put off many too. The styling I see here will keep the present owners on board while bringing in others that like the German styling tone.

German like styling is expected in this class as everyone has used it. Lexus, Hyundai and many others have used it to great effect. Others like Acura went their own way with the jaws of chrome and paid a price for it.

The body continues the pulled down over the chassis look and has good wheel fit. This is key to Cadillacs future.

The smaller cars will play an imporant part of the future with the economy in the tank. Many who could afford the more expensive cars are now down sizing as they are taking hits in their investments and are stuck with high house payments they can't get out of. The cheaper BMW and Benz are doing pretty well as many who had say a 5 series are now looking at a well loaded 3 to save money.

If this car has the quality, feel and performance to not just meet a 3 but beat a 3 in all ways it will do well. I only hope Cadillac and GM has aimed higher than just to bench mark the BMW and meet it on equal ground. This is what has hurt GM in the past. I would love to see them move the ball out farther. So far they have done this with the Cruze and it looks to be paying off. It has a bette ride and comfort than anything else in class and people look to be resonding to it in great numbers. GM was the first to make a compact for adults.

The C-segment is the highest volume premium segment, isn't it? Certainly in NA I see a lot more 3-series than 5-series...

One difference: E-Class is Mercedes' volume leader, albeit by a slim margin.

Honestly, the ATS is a make or break deal for Cadillac's future and I'll rather see it 1 year late than 1 year immature. They have to get it right out of the gates.

It's already years late. Even a turd car will get people back int the Cadillac showrooms.

Not that this is a turd. Just bring it out already!!!!

Honestly, the ATS is a make or break deal for Cadillac's future and I'll rather see it 1 year late than 1 year immature. They have to get it right out of the gates.

It's already years late. Even a turd car will get people back int the Cadillac showrooms.

Yeah, with 20/20 hindsight this is a car Cadillac should have had 15-20 years ago when the compact premium market really started heating up. Better late than never, though. Actually, they did have a turd in this niche once long ago, but it's best forgotten.

I'd say the market is bigger than that of the CTS. Not only do small luxury cars sell well, but aside from the Germans, the Lexus IS is the only other car sized like a 3-series. There are a dozen or so mid-size luxury cars to do battle with. The small segment has fewer brands in it, thus I think opportunity exists for Cadillac to get small luxury sedan buyers who maybe don't want a BMW or Mercedes.

I also don't think the ATS needs to be a sub CTS, because they can price it $33-43,000 and that is about where the first gen CTS lived as far as price point. This also allows Cadillac to push the CTS up to the $45-55,000 price point on a redesign.

Cadillac made a big error around 2005 with the STS, which then trickled on to the CTS. The STS was too large from the get go, and not athletic enough to go against the 5-series and E-class. The 2005 STS should have been aimed directly at the 5-series (thus 1st gen SRX smaller as well). Then instead of the CTS growing in size in 2008, the car could have shrunk down to 3-series size. But GM was under the impression that luxury cars (and especially Cadillacs) had to be large and they missed the market big time in 2005-2008 on the STS and SRX, and the CTS sold okay, but only about 50% of what a C-class or 3-series sold. The $4 billion Cadillac renaissance stalled at this point, then the bankruptcy hit and Cadillac today now for 2013 is trying to get to where they could have been in 2008. But better late than never.

i really think a lot of what folks have said here is spot on. i had the chance to see this photo a couple days ago and its interesting that so many comments are the same as mine.

My first take was Mercedes, Cadillac version......to some degree I am disappointed because this is really too safe of a design. At the same time it does hit the basics of the rear drive lux car as far as proportion, etc. I think for that reason, it should play well over seas.....better than any other Caddy, and it will still fit in at the hot spots here with all the other KRAUT in the parking lot.

As a whole, between the XTS and ATS I don't see a rush to overstyle. It just seems to me Caddy has taken on a blandness lately.

THat said, Caddy is starved of product, i at least think if Caddy is trying to rejuvenate with 2 new models only, the XTS and ATS are dead spot on for two segments they need to make inroads or reclaim, the old DTS customers and to cut more into the 3 series / C class crowd.

If you really look at it, there still is not a lot of competition for the 3 series and C Class. The A4 does ok, but still is not --perceived--- as a classical rear drive car. Even the first CTS was larger than a 3 and did not quite have the exact same large hood, laid back rear type of style. The ATS design, while a tad bland at least puts out a signature look that is instantly equated to something -the likes- of a 3 series.

I will assume Caddy is going to do fine with the ATS and XTS, maybe not gangbusters....SRX does well. It will be interesting to see where the CTS goes or to see if Caddy chases the 7 series and S class.

Caddy still needs to revive an XLR type car. Personally I think the Cien was something Caddy should have done. Cien really would have done bangup for Caddy's image although maybe now moreso than back when the concept came out. I sort of see the CIen as an R8 competitor.

I am guessing the CTS wagon is probably not going to survive.....get one while you can......

Caddy needs a credible (aka non bling, non escalade) third row vehicle. something to take on the Q7's etc....

Edited by regfootball

I agree with Reg on the Cien or XLR type car. Probably for Cadillac a front engine car makes more sense and make it AWD like a GT-R, so you get the performance. A mid-engine car would also be fast so either would be fine with me. This would also let Cadillac have the super car of GM, rather than the Corvette carrying that title, and the Corvette can go back to being a $45-65,000 sports car that is more attainable. I think the Corvette is a bit unfocused, it covers from $50-130,000, has an aging customer base and sinking sales. A Cadillac super car allows GM to reinvent the Corvette.

i really think a lot of what folks have said here is spot on. i had the chance to see this photo a couple days ago and its interesting that so many comments are the same as mine.

My first take was Mercedes, Cadillac version......to some degree I am disappointed because this is really too safe of a design. At the same time it does hit the basics of the rear drive lux car as far as proportion, etc. I think for that reason, it should play well over seas.....better than any other Caddy, and it will still fit in at the hot spots here with all the other KRAUT in the parking lot.

As a whole, between the XTS and ATS I don't see a rush to overstyle. It just seems to me Caddy has taken on a blandness lately.

THat said, Caddy is starved of product, i at least think if Caddy is trying to rejuvenate with 2 new models only, the XTS and ATS are dead spot on for two segments they need to make inroads or reclaim, the old DTS customers and to cut more into the 3 series / C class crowd.

If you really look at it, there still is not a lot of competition for the 3 series and C Class. The A4 does ok, but still is not --perceived--- as a classical rear drive car. Even the first CTS was larger than a 3 and did not quite have the exact same large hood, laid back rear type of style. The ATS design, while a tad bland at least puts out a signature look that is instantly equated to something -the likes- of a 3 series.

I will assume Caddy is going to do fine with the ATS and XTS, maybe not gangbusters....SRX does well. It will be interesting to see where the CTS goes or to see if Caddy chases the 7 series and S class.

Caddy still needs to revive an XLR type car. Personally I think the Cien was something Caddy should have done. Cien really would have done bangup for Caddy's image although maybe now moreso than back when the concept came out. I sort of see the CIen as an R8 competitor.

I am guessing the CTS wagon is probably not going to survive.....get one while you can......

Caddy needs a credible (aka non bling, non stretched) third row vehicle. something to take on the Q7's etc....

This is not too safe as it will appeal to broader segment of the market. The early A&S was loved by half the people and ran off the rest. BMW and Benz never wonder far from their styling or take great risk as they know this is what people expect. This too is why so many others copy it. Germany styling has never been a strong suit to me but it is what people tend to go too. trust me I love the CTS coupe more than any BMW but I an Also wise enough to know I am not in the majority. The ATS is the Volume car and needs to appeal to the widest market possible.

The New ATS and coming CTS will set the pace for the Future. I don't see the XTS as a long term car. I see it as a transission car from the Old foggy DTS to a much more market current car that will give luxury and appeal to a lower age group than 60's or professional car groups. I think the XTS was just far enough along to finish it and buy time to do the car they really want.

As for a XLR? I am ok with it once they get the house in order. Cadillacs future is not dependent on a sports car. It may enhance the entire line once they have a line but until they get the sedans and coupes set and on the market there is no reason for a high priced sports car that could drain away needed staff to do what cars that will support Cadillac. I would love to see them do something on the New C8 later if they can make it far enough away from the Corvette version that people will not think they are just buying an over priced Vette.

I understand the Escalade as it makes as much profit as just about anything GM offers. But I too would love to see a Q7 or even a Cayenne like sporty like SUV. If they could convert a Lamda into this or something else I see it as selling well. I still don't understand the love of the Cayenne but there are a hell of a lot of them out there and with the right vehicle I could see GM taking some of this segment.

It is an evolution of the Cadillac theme that has been going on since 2002 (CTS was early intro). It is at once modern, yet familiar, yet with enough heritage cues to honor Cadillac's past.

One can maintain a familiar look while going up or down in attractiveness. Just look at BMW (mostly down)

Yeah, with 20/20 hindsight this is a car Cadillac should have had 15-20 years ago when the compact premium market really started heating up. Better late than never, though. Actually, they did have a turd in this niche once long ago, but it's best forgotten.

A turd? No. Two turds... Caterra, followed by BLS

I agree with Reg on the Cien or XLR type car. Probably for Cadillac a front engine car makes more sense and make it AWD like a GT-R, so you get the performance. A mid-engine car would also be fast so either would be fine with me. This would also let Cadillac have the super car of GM, rather than the Corvette carrying that title, and the Corvette can go back to being a $45-65,000 sports car that is more attainable. I think the Corvette is a bit unfocused, it covers from $50-130,000, has an aging customer base and sinking sales. A Cadillac super car allows GM to reinvent the Corvette.

Well, if its me, the Corvette would end with the Z06. You can get the "regular" $45~50K Corvette or the Z06 for another $10~15 more. There would be no ZR1.

Instead, the ZR-1 would be a Cadillac with a unique body shell and be called the 2nd Generation XLR-V. The 2nd Generation "regular" XLR can then have a 3.6 V6 Bi-turbo forcefed to the tune of 480 hp @ 4800~5800 rpm / 531 lb-ft @ 2200~4700 rpm. It's still a Corvette C6 platform, but with Caddy styling and superior cabin fittings. Things like magnetorological shocks, backup camera, Nav, Napa Leather Seats, active aerodynamics and Acoustic glass will be standard.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1