The Bitch, Moan and Whine thread...

My new toaster doesn't brown my toast as well as the old one. In order to get the maximum toastiness and buttery-meltiness, I need to push it in again a second time and wait another thirty seconds. What a piece of time-wasting $h!.

Don't joke about crappy toasters. I already killed someone over breaking my good toaster and replacing it with a cheap Walmart POS that refused to work properly.

In all seriousness, I have a box of spare keyboards and mice because I've Roger Daltrey'd so many in the past. The solution for flaky, cheap hardware is to snap it in half and stop wasting valuable IT time.

Still haven't heard anything from the insurance Co that's paying one client's renovations bills. Stage 3 involves $1200 of flooring that I am NOT about to cover without checks from Stage 1 & 2 rolling in first. I don't mind covering materials as long as I'm sure I'll get reimbursed before the credit card comes due.... but this is a first-time relationship with this unknown Co. :/

• • •

I find I have been avoiding even numbers for some time now.

Edited by balthazar

Ha, just don't get wrapped up in a brand new car that six months later you can no longer afford due to a job that wraps you up in long shifts that, intentionally or unintentionally, stacks the deck against you. Sure, you may not have to pay for much maintenance with that brand new car, but you'll also be committed to the loan you took out to buy it for one hell of a long fortnight (something you'll conveniently forget when you buy that new car). Don't forget what consequences are being held over your head if you neglect your little commitment in any way because if you do, you'll be picking yourself up by your boot straps and trying to make it out of financial hell by the skin of your teeth.

I'm confused... how do long hours at work translate into stacking the deck against you financially?

If you are hourly, you get more hours... hence more pay. If you are salary, you knew your salary when you signed for the car note. In either care, hours spent at work normally are hours you aren't at the mall spending money.

BTW, whatever happened to your idea that you got such a good deal on the Challenger that you could sell it and break even (or make a profit) if it proved too much of a strain?

Well, I'll try to explain it, although I should warn you you'll probably wind up more confused than what you already are. Strap yourself in.

A second disclaimer: since I don't know what consequences divulging the following information would entail since I know that any thing posted to the internet containing the company name is forwarded to the f@#king CEO himself I won't use it (that's no shit, the store manager confirmed it a thousand times in various morning meetings the last few months), but let's just say that the place I work for sells things you strum. If you remember who I work for by reading a previous post, I only ask that you have just a little respect and keep that information to yourself until the 18th of this month at least.

At my job, I earn an hourly wage (minimum wage I should add) plus commission. One paycheck, which comes within the first two to two and a half weeks of the month is strictly an hourly check for the last two weeks of the previous month, so with plenty of hours, this paycheck can average about $500 bucks after taxes. The paycheck after that which comes around the last part of the month, is a commission check.

Here's where it can be very confusing, that check, and to be completely honest, I don't fully comprehend the pay system 100 percent myself. No one who isn't a store manager or sales manager really does if I'm honest. Anyway, with that said, to make commission, you have to, quote, "fade" against your hours, meaning that you have to reach a certain point in how much shit you've sold makes the hours you've worked pretty much void. Sounds great, sure, but if you've worked more hours versus what you've sold, then you won't have much of a commission check at all, if anything and the hours that wind up on that paycheck are generally less than the one before it, which I don't understand (that may correlate somehow to my next issue). I've had those particular paychecks in the few months after I bought that car wind up being less than $400 bucks and losing that extra $100 bucks can really fuck things up. I'll elaborate on that in a moment.

Speaking of hours and all of that good stuff, Kentucky state law states that a maximum work week, working full time, is 40 hours, so for two weeks, that should be 80 hours. For the majority of my time working my current job, I've been "coded" as part-time, meaning I should be working 30 hours or less. I had a paycheck for two weeks come my way where I had ninety-four f@#king hours and only had received pay for three of them. I shouldn't have to spell it out, but I should have gotten paid for fourteen hours of overtime, at the bare minimum if not more since I was considered "part-time" at the particular moment in time. Someone screwed me there, big time. I'm contemplating reporting my job to the state labor board for that one. How they managed to squeak that one by I don't know, but sure enough, I'd have to bet there's probably some sort of Jedi mind shit they've got cooked up to justify it.

Okay, now about losing that $100 bucks and it screwing things up, I sat down about a month and half ago when things started to get really bad with a pencil and a pad of paper and totaled up my costs. I average about $900 a month after taxes. I live about 40 miles away from work, one way. That's 80 miles for a round trip. Figuring up fuel costs, since the Challenger uses 89 octane to get the best fuel economy, I'm out roughly about $450 on gas a month. Well, there goes half of my paycheck. My car payment is roughly $300 month, so that $900 has now dwindled down to about $150. That $150 has to buy me $h!ty fast food to eat and a few packs of smokes for the rest of the month because, hey, I gotta eat (it's an absolute wonder I'm not a goddamn diabetic because of all of the artificial shit I've eaten over the past year since I've worked there) and I gotta smoke to deal with the stress of what's turned out to be a high-pressure sales job (it's a wonder I haven't went into cardiac arrest). After buying that shit, I'm broke. If I have any sort of situation come up, I don't have any money to save to deal with it because I don't have any momey to save to begin with and trust me, I've tried a few things to save money, none of which worked (I had a panic attack one day at work because I didn't have any damn nicotine and that was a very pathetic day for me). I'm tapped out every month and, like I said, losing $100 a month because I've worked too many hours only aggravates my financial problems.

I'm still confident I can sell the Challenger and not be screwed, but in order to save my ass from getting screwed I have to keep the miles down low on it, something that you can't do when you have a eighty mile round trip five days a week (sometimes six when you get dragged in for a performance meeting on your day off ... which I didn't get paid for at various times in the past I might add).

Confused? Yeah, I'll admit I am myself. I don't know how things went sour so quick, I just know the situation I'm in. I f@#ked up somewhere and I just can't pinpoint where. I can only blame the current economic state for so much (in sales, you really do get to see how the economy deteriorates or restores itself), but I can only say that so much before it becomes little more than a minimally justified excuse.

I do know this, though: I'm vowing to never go so heavily in debt again.

After the Challenger is gone, my slate is wiped clean and I'll be starting from square one again, something that I honestly welcome. Despite the hardship I'm dealing with currently, I've learned something from it and intend on spending the next 21 years of my life, and far beyond that, right. I'm re-enrolling in college for Spring and I'm going to get a degree in a career where I can make decent money. I'm going to get another job in the short-term that can pay my rent somewhere and a few small bills, nothing more. And if I get any extra money during that time or years and years after, I'm going to grab every last penny by the balls and really make every dollar work as hard for me as I worked to earn it, regardless if it's savings or a few bucks I'm going to waste on a hobby or a thrill.

Edited by black-knight

I do know this, though: I'm vowing to never go so heavily in debt again. I'm re-enrolling in college for Spring and I'm going to get a degree in a career where I can make decent money. I'm going to get another job in the short-term that can pay my rent somewhere and a few small bills, nothing more. And if I get any extra money during that time or years and years after, I'm going to grab every last penny by the balls and really make every dollar work as hard for me as I worked to earn it, regardless if it's savings or a few bucks I'm going to waste on a hobby or a thrill.

Quote bookmarked for the next inevitable 80's G Body/S-10/Jeep/Firebird/Camaro thread.

• Agree 4

I do know this, though: I'm vowing to never go so heavily in debt again. I'm re-enrolling in college for Spring and I'm going to get a degree in a career where I can make decent money. I'm going to get another job in the short-term that can pay my rent somewhere and a few small bills, nothing more. And if I get any extra money during that time or years and years after, I'm going to grab every last penny by the balls and really make every dollar work as hard for me as I worked to earn it, regardless if it's savings or a few bucks I'm going to waste on a hobby or a thrill.

Quote bookmarked for the next inevitable 80's G Body/S-10/Jeep/Firebird/Camaro thread.

That's where I'm back again car-wise, but I'll also add it won't be necessarily permanent. Since it appears you find my transportation exploits so entertaining, all I'll say is that you'd better get ready for the show.

I'm contemplating reporting my job to the state labor board for that one. How they managed to squeak that one by I don't know, but sure enough, I'd have to bet there's probably some sort of Jedi mind $h! they've got cooked up to justify it.

Document, document, document. If you have lots of documentation, take it to the labor board. To my knowledge, that wouldn't fly here in NJ, but I don't know KY. It sounds very suspect. Of course, if you squawk to the law, look for a backup job, as they will likely terminate you... which, if you don't give them an excuse, could turn into a nasty lawsuit for them.

I gotta smoke to deal with the stress of what's turned out to be a high-pressure sales job (it's a wonder I haven't went into cardiac arrest).

No you don't. Smoking only makes you think your relieving stress... just like drinking alcohol makes people think they drive slightly better. Drop the smokes and start doing yoga or breathing exercises.

I'm still confident I can sell the Challenger and not be screwed, but in order to save my ass from getting screwed I have to keep the miles down low on it, something that you can't do when you have a eighty mile round trip five days a week (sometimes six when you get dragged in for a performance meeting on your day off ... which I didn't get paid for at various times in the past I might add).

Well, there are ways to stop the mileage from racking up... but it breaks your ABS/TC and becomes a federal issue if you sell the car. A performance meeting should count towards your hourly rate unless your salary.

I do know this, though: I'm vowing to never go so heavily in debt again.

After the Challenger is gone, my slate is wiped clean and I'll be starting from square one again, something that I honestly welcome. Despite the hardship I'm dealing with currently, I've learned something from it and intend on spending the next 21 years of my life, and far beyond that, right. I'm re-enrolling in college for Spring and I'm going to get a degree in a career where I can make decent money. I'm going to get another job in the short-term that can pay my rent somewhere and a few small bills, nothing more. And if I get any extra money during that time or years and years after, I'm going to grab every last penny by the balls and really make every dollar work as hard for me as I worked to earn it, regardless if it's savings or a few bucks I'm going to waste on a hobby or a thrill.

Easier said than done. Even a degree does not ensure you will have work. I know people with (granted, IMHO useless) degrees that have not had decent work in 20 years. And other times, factors beyond your control can stop you from ending up in a hole.

Been there, got the T-shirt... then had it ripped off my back.

Ha, just don't get wrapped up in a brand new car that six months later you can no longer afford due to a job that wraps you up in long shifts that, intentionally or unintentionally, stacks the deck against you. Sure, you may not have to pay for much maintenance with that brand new car, but you'll also be committed to the loan you took out to buy it for one hell of a long fortnight (something you'll conveniently forget when you buy that new car). Don't forget what consequences are being held over your head if you neglect your little commitment in any way because if you do, you'll be picking yourself up by your boot straps and trying to make it out of financial hell by the skin of your teeth.

Eh, probably won't be going new any time soon, especially not with my current financial situation. I'll be looking for the quintessential used nondescript Camcordima or Civirollentra, in the classic appliance-grade white, silver, or beige. I'll have to get the more involved manual equipped model, at the very least to soothe whatever little automotive enthusiasm lingers within after I finish depleting my bank account with the Legacy.

Okay. So I'm blind as a bat without glasses or contacts, so as a result, i always leave my bathroom light on so I can find it without having to put my glasses on (yeah, I'm that blind).

Well, sometime in the night, it had burnt out, and I was fumbling around the house looking for a different light switch, only to go too far, trip over my coffee table (if you could call it that, it's a cheap flimsy deal I got at Target) and smash it to bits. One of the support legs that held the table up somehow pops me in the nose. It's still sore, and pretty red.

Yeah, I'm gonna have fun explaining this to everybody who sees me at work.

Tonight, my bowels burn with the heat of 1000 suns. Magma flows... Should not have had Chicken Vindaloo for dinner but it's so damn good.

I love spicy food...you've got to take me to that restaurant, dude.

Tonight, my bowels burn with the heat of 1000 suns. Magma flows... Should not have had Chicken Vindaloo for dinner but it's so damn good.

I love spicy food...you've got to take me to that restaurant, dude.

Yeah, I love spicy, forgot to take my Immodium before and after...didn't have any with me and decided to wing it.. ;)

I need money; anyone need a spotless-record driver for the transport of sensitive items?

I hear the Mexican drug gangs are hiring....

LoL...a job like the lead character in the 'Transporter' movies or in the recent film 'Drive'. I wonder if there are positions like that on Dice or Monster..

I need money; anyone need a spotless-record driver for the transport of sensitive items?

LoL...a job like the lead character in the 'Transporter' movies or in the recent film 'Drive'. I wonder if there are positions like that on Dice or Monster..

I could see Balthazar being like the guy on the movie Drive..which was cool but a little bit too violent....

Driving a B59 would probably give him away though...that thing would stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of Toyotas and Impalas...

I could see Balthazar being like the guy on the movie Drive..which was cool but a little bit too violent....

Driving a B59 would probably give him away though...that thing would stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of Toyotas and Impalas...

Yeah..need something more low-key. The Impala worked well in 'Drive'..

Yeah..need something more low-key. The Impala worked well in 'Drive'..

Drive started well, but then the movie just somehow lost it and never recovered IMHO.

That would be cool to have Balthazar as a Driver like that....but it would have to be a really cool vintage car.

Stutz Bearcat anyone?

My weekend wasn't bad at all.

Friday night, went to airport. Got upgrade to first class. Flew to San Jose. Picked up nice comfortable rental car (Chrysler 300). Drove about an hour and a half on bumpy Cali freeways and nice backroads to hotel. Spent the weekend at a great race track (Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway) looking at and listening to hundreds of Porsche race cars and street cars. Talked w/ some fans and owners, met Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David. Saw some racing. Listened to presentations by retired race drivers and engineers. Ate well. Drank German beer. Bought some merch. Took a ride in a Cayman. Got to see some beautiful coastline and scenery in Monterey area. Flew back home last night. Got upgrade to first class again. Dozed on the plane.

Back at work in cubeland in hot Arizona today. :(

Jill has been puking like a freshman but won't take a pregnancy test so I have to devise a plot to steal her pee.

Sounds interesting...good luck if your a dad again, dude...Happy for ya!

Friday night, went to airport. Got upgrade to first class. Flew to San Jose. Picked up nice comfortable rental car (Chrysler 300). Drove about an hour and a half on bumpy Cali freeways and nice backroads to hotel. Spent the weekend at a great race track (Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway) looking at and listening to hundreds of Porsche race cars and street cars. Talked w/ some fans and owners, met Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David. Saw some racing. Listened to presentations by retired race drivers and engineers. Ate well. Drank German beer. Bought some merch. Took a ride in a Cayman. Got to see some beautiful coastline and scenery in Monterey area. Flew back home last night. Got upgrade to first class again. Dozed on the plane.

I'd love to have had your weekend...but Arizona rates next to Texas as a place that can pretty much cuceed from the US anytime it wants.

NOT a fan of Arizona in any way, shape, or form.

I went to bed, woke up, and then drove home.

That could be a good thing...

Could be a great thing depending on the guy he woke up next to..he's not telling us THAT part...

Jill has been puking like a freshman but won't take a pregnancy test so I have to devise a plot to steal her pee.

Sounds interesting...good luck if your a dad again, dude...Happy for ya!

I'd love to have had your weekend...but Arizona rates next to Texas as a place that can pretty much secede from the US anytime it wants.

NOT a fan of Arizona in any way, shape, or form.

Neither am I...working on a plan to escape. :) I'll post some pics and a link to my pics in the Porsche section tonight.

I'm going to be up late, which means I'll wake up late, which means I'll be running late and won't have time to buy my morning coffee from a pretty young redhead. I live, literally, the worst life imaginable.

IT could be worse...the guy who sells me my morning coffee has the IQ of Odie from the Comic strip Garfield...

Good luck on your escape from the nuthouse, cubitar!