Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra Live Reveal

Drew Dowdell

I also like the overall looks of the Ram. I've had various models turn my head over the last few years, with styling, great sounding engines, and nice little details like the cutouts in the rear bumper for factory dual exhausts.

I'd certainly check out a Ram before buying a new full-size truck.

Ram and F150 interiors look much more expressive. I feel the interior is too toned down for my taste. Once you start paying 50k for a truck (waiting to see what the new Sierra Denali HD looks like) you kind of want it to look like a 50k truck interior. I dont know, mixed feelings.

I'm a bit disappointed with the interior. The exterior seems fine, there's only so much you can do with truck exteriors. I feel like Ford is leaving GM behind because they are being much more adventurous and expressive in their designs. GM seems to be playing it safe, I was hoping for some aggressive styling inside and out. Where was the GM that hit us with the Camaro or CTS? The interior looks so...blah compared to F-150 and Ram's interior. Cold and sterile.

That's the interior? I remember seeing spy photos of the interior thinking that they placed a mat/overlay over the entire thing (except the functional bits) as to keep it hidden and not give away any design cues. I'm shocked to see that is actually how they designed it.

Edited by Nick
  • Agree 1

To bring sales and revenue GMT 900 was a rush job, what is GM's excuse for this one?

The more I look at, the more I think of what Nissan or Mercedes would have done - patch a thing or two here and call it brand new. I am giving this truck a B- based on the efforts spent.

The Sierra looks a big blocky and chunky on the outside, although the Silverado just looks boring and forgettable, so the Sierra probably wins on exterior design. Both don't seem too different from the current trucks.

The interiors aren't too impressive, looks like a couple big LCD screens with some cheap buttons around them, but for work trucks they will suffice. This interior is better than the work truck interior now, but I'd say worse than the LTZ/Denali trims currently on sale.

Engines are a joke, that 4.3 liter has been around for 30 years. The Ford and Ram V6's make over 300 hp, and the Ram has 23 mpg on 4x4 and 25 mpg on 2 wheel drive models. Somehow I doubt this "new" 4.3 V6 makes more power than the outgoing 5.3 V8 while getting over 25 mpg, which is what GM needs to compete. And we know the Ram is getting the VM 3.0 diesel in 2014, which I suspect Chevy has no answer to.

First he 2013 Malibu then this Silverado, I think the "good enough" mentality is what Runs Deep at Chevrolet.

To bring sales and revenue GMT 900 was a rush job, what is GM's excuse for this one?

The more I look at, the more I think of what Nissan or Mercedes would have done - patch a thing or two here and call it brand new. I am giving this truck a B- based on the efforts spent.

If Mercedes made a pick up truck then the Detroit 3 would be in big trouble, because they would do it so much better. They already build commercial trucks, tough off roaders and German military vehicles, and they have an excellent 3.0 V6 diesel, loads of V8s, and if people think the Raptor is fast, imagine the AMG pickup with a 620 hp V12.

Not that I am advocating Mercedes building a pick up, I think they stay focused on sedans, coupes and SUVs.

A bit premature with all of that SMK, don't you think?

I don't think, the exteriors and interiors are not bad, but nothing special either. Remember this will be on sale for 8 years probably, if we aren't really impressed now, imagine how dated this package will look in 2020.

The engines will be lame, just wait and see. We already know the LT1 has about 5% more hp and torque than the outgoing LS3. Even a 50% gain in horsepower to the 4.3 liter leaves them behind Ford and Ram.

I don't think, the exteriors and interiors are not bad, but nothing special either. Remember this will be on sale for 8 years probably, if we aren't really impressed now, imagine how dated this package will look in 2020.

The engines will be lame, just wait and see. We already know the LT1 has about 5% more hp and torque than the outgoing LS3. Even a 50% gain in horsepower to the 4.3 liter leaves them behind Ford and Ram.

You are the king of assumptions!

The facts on the engines are not yet available.

If Mercedes made a pick up truck then the Detroit 3 would be in big trouble, because they would do it so much better. They already build commercial trucks, tough off roaders and German military vehicles, and they have an excellent 3.0 V6 diesel, loads of V8s, and if people think the Raptor is fast, imagine the AMG pickup with a 620 hp V12.

Not that I am advocating Mercedes building a pick up, I think they stay focused on sedans, coupes and SUVs.

Crawl back to the cave you were hibernating in.

Sure MB can build a pick up truck, but then the anemic 2.5L Turbo would cost $45,000 and would have turn signals as optional. Top of the line may have $5,000 for customized amber roof marker lamps, and cost $150,000. And after three years it would be worth $65,000.

You can replace Mercedes with Toyota since they have the same international resume sans the V12. Yet have the Tundra and Tacoma upset any of the Detroit 3 truck lines?

I'm back to calling :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: on your words.

Crawl back to the cave you were hibernating in.

Sure MB can build a pick up truck, but then the anemic 2.5L Turbo would cost $45,000 and would have turn signals as optional. Top of the line may have $5,000 for customized amber roof marker lamps, and cost $150,000. And after three years it would be worth $65,000.

How about this hellacool Sprinter pickup...

000-3d-model-sprinter%20pickup%201.jpg

the only thing the same about the 4.3 is the displacement, it is otherwise all new. It is supposed to have over 300 horsepower and better torque than the competition's V6es. It isn't going to out-do the Ecoboost V6, but it isn't meant to either. that's what the 5.3 is for.

You can replace Mercedes with Toyota since they have the same international resume sans the V12. Yet have the Tundra and Tacoma upset any of the Detroit 3 truck lines?

I'm back to calling :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: on your words.

Toyota is no Mercedes, Mercedes engineers way better than Toyota does. But at any rate, the Tacoma has outsold the Colorado/Canyon combined by margin of 127,000 to 44,000 this year. And Dodge and Ford don't have a small truck, so the Tacoma is outselling the Detroit 3 nearly 3 to 1. They have work to do on the Tundra, but it is still good for 100,000 units a year, and where might all those Tacoma drivers trade up to in 5 years.

Look antique but better trimmed, but alas.

Weird they designed an all new truck ready 4.3L based off the new V8's, but clearly a purpose.

The interior is trucky but who knows. Also interesting the platform/frame is actually still shared with the GMT-900 currently, just with additional improvements to rigidity, etc.

GM redesigns continue to be interesting, in odd ways.

My notes so far:

The more I look at it, I'm liking the simple update. Old school chevy look. Fits with their current customer base. Not sure how big an update they could do on the outside. The important stuff is on the inside...

Need to see the basic dashes....not the top of the line ones. may not be as busy...

Can it really be the old 4.3? Nah.....maybe. Betting this is where most of the money went. Curious to see what milage these are going to get. Can an extended cab base silvy with the 4.3 net me 30mpgs? Hoping AFM works much better than in the past. Have a feeling it will.....

Need to see these live..betting they look much better in person...

the only thing the same about the 4.3 is the displacement, it is otherwise all new. It is supposed to have over 300 horsepower and better torque than the competition's V6es. It isn't going to out-do the Ecoboost V6, but it isn't meant to either. that's what the 5.3 is for.

+1

This time around it's not as much about power as it is mileage. If they could get a truck within range of say, my cavalier (30ish), I might just consider one....

Waiting on price as well...

For those wanting to see the Sierra without the LED headlights, look at closeup photos of the maroon SLE.

Very pleased and hopeful after hearing the big kahuna speak of the upcoming Colorado/Canyon. If any new GM truck could realistically be mine, it would be one of the new midsizers. Makes me all the more curious to know when they'll be unveiled in US trim. If the top engine is this new 4.3L, I'll be over the moon.

The bumper step is a simple, yet superior solution to Ford's rickety contraption of a tailgate step. It can be used with tailgate up or down and it has no moving parts to complicate it!

I'm really in salivation mode waiting to see a regular cab shortie Silverado.

• Agree 1

Is it just me or has GM styling gotten very conservitive since Lutz retired?

I could not see the new Malibu or these trucks hitting the market as they are under his watch. He was always one to press forward with design and not accept just good enough styling.

I could not see the new Malibu or these trucks hitting the market as they are under his watch. He was always one to press forward with design and not accept just good enough styling.

I can see that. Both products show that GM is lacking in the attention to details.

Toyota is no Mercedes, Mercedes engineers way better than Toyota does.

Unverifiable.

But at any rate, the Tacoma has outsold the Colorado/Canyon combined by margin of 127,000 to 44,000 this year. And Dodge and Ford don't have a small truck, so the Tacoma is outselling the Detroit 3 nearly 3 to 1.

Not due to Tacoma influence. The three automakers let their small trucks wither.

They have work to do on the Tundra, but it is still good for 100,000 units a year, and where might all those Tacoma drivers trade up to in 5 years.

Not everyone who buys a small truck has aspirations of moving up into a bigger one. Pickups aren't "aspirational" like luxury vehicles.

Aside from a very few features, not sure what the dissenters were expecting.

For my part, I was expecting a more distinctive design - one that parted ways with the 900s in an unmistakable way.

I will say that a Mini Pickup truck with a 1000lb hauling load capacity would fullfill most home buyers needs rather than the massive large trucks that are currently being built.

2011-chevrolet-montana12.jpg

This truck with a 2.8L Turbo Duramax Diesel Engine would kick ass in the US.

For my part, I was expecting a more distinctive design - one that parted ways with the 900s in an unmistakable way.

I will say that a Mini Pickup truck with a 1000lb hauling load capacity would fullfill most home buyers needs rather than the massive large trucks that are currently being built.

That's Corsa-based... a 2.8L Turbodiesel's torque would break it apart... :P

That's Corsa-based... a 2.8L Turbodiesel's torque would break it apart... :P

Come on with a good boxed frame, think of how this baby would fly with all that Torque! :D Ultimate torque monster with awesome gas mileage.

Then I could convert it to be CNG/Diesel mix 90/10 mixture and really drive it cheap. :P

Non-SLT LED lighting/headlight, as shown on the GMC Facebook page:

155432_10151303188763701_1648157972_n.jpg

Sierra SLE 2WD Extended Cab, as shown on the GMC Facebook page:

425720_10151303188493701_148552968_n.jpg

406734_10151303188828701_118181948_n.jpg

149735_10151303188703701_886822809_n.jpg

(Notice the painted bodyside molding strip; chrome is extra cost; assuming not available on WT model)

68912_10151303194923701_1129477362_n.jpg

(Notice no 4WD dial on the driver's side of the dash = 2WD model)

What I find interesting is that there are many people - not just here at C&G - that feel this is the "basic" dash and the SLT/LTZ will have something different. GM has stated there is one interior now, and this is it. Since the SLT/LTZ have been officially shown in the reveal, what you see is what you're getting - regardless of WT/LS, SLE/LT, or SLT/LTZ package is purchased. Now the Chevy's "High Country" and GMC's "Denali" have yet to be shown, and I'm thinking this will be the surprise at the NAIAS. I am expecting a glitzier dash in those trucks. I'm also expecting the HDs to feature their own dash, just like how Ford differentiates the F-150 from the Super Duty's.

68912_10151303194923701_1129477362_n.jpg

This dash reminds me of the Aliens Mouth. The Nav/Control system is just pushing out through the dash/ face.

So I guess Lexus went Predator on their auto's with the fronts and GM is going Aliens with their Dash. :P

I can see that. Both products show that GM is lacking in the attention to details.

Malibu it is the details in the truck they got the details but failed to change the styling enought to show how new this truck is.

In general a truck with new styling to reflect that it is a totally new truck vs a new truck that appears more to look like a refresh of the old one. With all the new features it deserved it's own look and not just a rehash of the old one.

What if they had redone a totally new Impala and it just looked like the one we have had for years? Not a smart move. Only the 911 and Mini can get away with this kind of styling.

In general a truck with new styling to reflect that it is a totally new truck vs a new truck that appears more to look like a refresh of the old one. With all the new features it deserved it's own look and not just a rehash of the old one.

What if they had redone a totally new Impala and it just looked like the one we have had for years? Not a smart move. Only the 911 and Mini can get away with this kind of styling.

...and the Beetle. As I said earlier, these trucks are what the 07's should have been, I suspect alot of the general buying public will simply see these as mere refreshes, regardless of the changes to the dirty bits. These will be on the market now for at least another 7-8 years which will make the basic design around 14 years old at the very least before we can expect a significant change,

In general a truck with new styling to reflect that it is a totally new truck vs a new truck that appears more to look like a refresh of the old one. With all the new features it deserved it's own look and not just a rehash of the old one. What if they had redone a totally new Impala and it just looked like the one we have had for years? Not a smart move. Only the 911 and Mini can get away with this kind of styling.

Not seeing what you're referring to with "this kind" of styling. Yet, we'll see the sales numbers on these in time. I'm going to predict they'll do very well. AFA the theory that it needs to 'look completely different to suck buyers in'- truck shoppers are a LOT more savvy than Impala buyers, without question. And the impulse segment of trucks buyers is a lot smaller than that for cars, as past sales numbers show. It's not the same demo as car buyers and the same tricks aren't absolutely necessary. Think about how many manufacturers intro new engines in mid-cycle without changing styling.

In general a truck with new styling to reflect that it is a totally new truck vs a new truck that appears more to look like a refresh of the old one. With all the new features it deserved it's own look and not just a rehash of the old one. What if they had redone a totally new Impala and it just looked like the one we have had for years? Not a smart move. Only the 911 and Mini can get away with this kind of styling.

Not seeing what you're referring to with "this kind" of styling. Yet, we'll see the sales numbers on these in time. I'm going to predict they'll do very well. AFA the theory that it needs to 'look completely different to suck buyers in'- truck shoppers are a LOT more savvy than Impala buyers, without question. And the impulse segment of trucks buyers is a lot smaller than that for cars, as past sales numbers show. It's not the same demo as car buyers and the same tricks aren't absolutely necessary. Think about how many manufacturers intro new engines in mid-cycle without changing styling.

Yet the G500 has continued to sell well on the same old style for ever. Mercedes and BMW have kept close to the same style with just minor tweeks over the last 20 years.

I understand that some wanted GM to do a Love it or Hate it look like the original Ram when it came out with the big truck look. Yet with that stated, these evolutionary trucks I predict will sell very well and be around for a long time.

Conservative styling lasts much longer. I am surprised at the negative attitude toward these trucks on this board. They're clearly all-new. And I don't understand the need for a Cadillac dashboard in a pickup truck... a vehicle that has to be all things to all people more than any other class of vehicle on the market.

I like the Chevy the best this time around. I think it looks great. It is spare and clean and masculine, without anything to clutter the serious look of it.

Well, it's worked with Ford--the current F150 is a mild restyle of the '04-'08 generation.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yet the G500 has continued to sell well on the same old style for ever. Mercedes and BMW have kept close to the same style with just minor tweeks over the last 20 years.

I understand that some wanted GM to do a Love it or Hate it look like the original Ram when it came out with the big truck look. Yet with that stated, these evolutionary trucks I predict will sell very well and be around for a long time.

No one is asking for radical changes in styling just something that does not look like the old truck. The fenders and quarters look almost like they had no changes and the grill just looks refreshed.

Chevy trucks would sell to the fans of the brand even if it looked like the 1983 truck. But with that said expect this truck to hold market share but not any gains in market share.

No one expects a sales failure but the questions should be how much better could the sales have been?

Ford has done this same mistake in the past and live through it but they did step up the changed in the next change.

If they had at least changed the fender pontoons a little it could have really given a better effect.

This truck is not and will be a failure just a styling disapointment for those of us who expected change like 1987- to 1988.