Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra Live Reveal

Drew Dowdell

What I find interesting is that there are many people - not just here at C&G - that feel this is the "basic" dash and the SLT/LTZ will have something different. GM has stated there is one interior now, and this is it. Since the SLT/LTZ have been officially shown in the reveal, what you see is what you're getting - regardless of WT/LS, SLE/LT, or SLT/LTZ package is purchased. Now the Chevy's "High Country" and GMC's "Denali" have yet to be shown, and I'm thinking this will be the surprise at the NAIAS. I am expecting a glitzier dash in those trucks. I'm also expecting the HDs to feature their own dash, just like how Ford differentiates the F-150 from the Super Duty's.

I'm not going to say how I think likely it is, but If the Silverado High Country and Sierra Denali models were to have a specific and unique dash, I would be inclined to say that it would likely be shared with the Tahoe/Suburban and Yukon/XL. As for a specific dash for the HD model trucks ... well, I wouldn't put too much stock into the idea, but you never know.

Are you being serious? I find it hard to believe you can't see that this truck has nothing in common with the outgoing model. Look how slim the pillars are. The cab is clearly all new and different. The whole truck is bigger with much different sculpting over every inch. A person with working eyeballs doesn't even need to see them parked side by side to see all the glaring differences.

• Disagree 1

Well, imma gonna leave this stuff here.

new-2014-chevrolet-silverado-side-profile.jpg

2014-GMC-Sierra-side-view.jpg

2012-Ford-F-150-Harley-Davidson-Side-1.jpg

2013-ram-1500-crew-cab-slt-4x4-side-view.jpg

2011-Tundra-Toyota-21.jpg

Again, I'll voice my criticism from the other thread: what have the new Silverado and Sierra trucks done here to change the game? How are they more advanced than what is on the market today? They look right in line with the current crop of trucks that are due to be replaced in the very near future. This not how you establish supremacy in a given market. This is why these trucks are so disappointing -- they just don't do enough, at least from a design point of view.

I criticized GM for bragging about the Silverado and Sierra's inlaid doors in the other thread, saying the RAM already had them in 2009. Well, let me say that I stand by statement, but I'll amend it by saying the Tundra had them before the Ram in 2007, and the F-150 started the whole trend in 2004. Wow, GM! You really can brag about being ahead of the curve here!

Look, I know that's a small detail, but still. It illustrates my point. Honestly, the live unveiling yesterday left me with an uneasy feeling about the culture at GM.

I mean really ... Bragging about how your interior won praise in design clinics? Okay, then. I think the last time you were designing cars in clinics, GM, you were thinking of giving the world this thing ...

3041006.001_1046big.jpg

Can we please make a machine that will make a billion copies of Bob Lutz and Mark Reuss and have them run at least 95 percent of GM?

Edited by black-knight
  • Agree 3

Conservative styling lasts much longer. I am surprised at the negative attitude toward these trucks on this board. They're clearly all-new. And I don't understand the need for a Cadillac dashboard in a pickup truck... a vehicle that has to be all things to all people more than any other class of vehicle on the market.

I like the Chevy the best this time around. I think it looks great. It is spare and clean and masculine, without anything to clutter the serious look of it.

Agreeing with Ocn here. GM is sticking with the more classic look. I see nothing wrong with that....

• Disagree 1

But at any rate, the Tacoma has outsold the Colorado/Canyon combined by margin of 127,000 to 44,000 this year. And Dodge and Ford don't have a small truck, so the Tacoma is outselling the Detroit 3 nearly 3 to 1.

Not due to Tacoma influence. The three automakers let their small trucks wither.

But why did they let them wither? Detroit could no longer compete in the compact pick up segment or minivan segment in the case of Ford and GM, because the Japanese took those over. Build mediocre full size pickups for another 20 years and Toyota or someone else will move in and that that over too.

Not sure they why the are making a big deal about the inlaid doors...trucks had them decades ago...

Because they have nothing better to talk about. They could have at least done a carbon fiber tailgate that was light and easy to open, or something to make their truck stand out. Or a power fold tailgate that is foot operated like the Ford Escape has. Instead, in-laid doors and and "all new" engine from the 80s.

• Disagree 3

If someone could chop Jacket's photo of the red Chevy above into a regular cab, I'd be much appreciative.

Also it is easy to see the different fenders and bedside panels between Chevy & GMC in Jacket's above arrangement of photos.

Edited by ocnblu

Conservative styling lasts much longer. I am surprised at the negative attitude toward these trucks on this board. They're clearly all-new. And I don't understand the need for a Cadillac dashboard in a pickup truck... a vehicle that has to be all things to all people more than any other class of vehicle on the market.

I like the Chevy the best this time around. I think it looks great. It is spare and clean and masculine, without anything to clutter the serious look of it.

Agreeing with Ocn here. GM is sticking with the more classic look. I see nothing wrong with that....

I do. Ford and Dodge RAM could very well have trucks in the pipeline that could really make these two look stodgy and dated when they hit the market.

Remember how the '88 GM pickups suddenly made the '80s F-150 and Ram look like they were old cornflake boxes when they hit dealers? Granted, they didn't exactly set huge sales figures when they debuted, but they did establish GM as a sort of "technology leader" and design champion in the full-sized truck market.

If Ford or Ram either one decides to release their own '88 Silverado, so to speak, then these trucks will always be criticized in reviews and fail to attract new buyers.

Not only that, but the design of the GMT-400 trucks were so right that both Dodge (Ram? forget it, the history here is too convoluted) and Ford eventually had to rethink their strategy on pickups because of it, and it took Ford almost a decade to have a proper response, which by that time the GMT-400 trucks were due to be replaced. Ten years on the market ('88 to '98) and virtually few changes. That's a truck "done right."

Although I'll admit, when I think a little more about it from that perspective, in a certain sense the 2004 F-150 has had an impact on trucks similar to the '88 Silverado. Hmmm ...

Edited by black-knight

Are you being serious? I find it hard to believe you can't see that this truck has nothing in common with the outgoing model. Look how slim the pillars are. The cab is clearly all new and different. The whole truck is bigger with much different sculpting over every inch. A person with working eyeballs doesn't even need to see them parked side by side to see all the glaring differences.

To say this new model has nothing in common with the outgoing model is ridiculous to put it mildly. My eyeballs work just fine, near perfect vision actually, and they are pretty damn similar.

I do. Ford and Dodge RAM could very well have trucks in the pipeline that could really make these two look stodgy and dated when they hit the market.

Remember how the '88 GM pickups suddenly made the '80s F-150 and Ram look like they were old cornflake boxes when they hit dealers? Granted, they didn't exactly set huge sales figures when they debuted, but they did establish GM as a sort of "technology leader" and design champion in the full-sized truck market.

If Ford or Ram either one decides to release their own '88 Silverado, so to speak, then these trucks will always be criticized in reviews and fail to attract new buyers.

Not only that, but the design of the GMT-400 trucks were so right that both Dodge (Ram? forget it, the history here is too convoluted) and Ford eventually had to rethink their strategy on pickups because of it, and it took Ford almost a decade to have a proper response, which by that time the GMT-400 trucks were due to be replaced. Ten years on the market ('88 to '98) and virtually few changes. That's a truck "done right."

Although I'll admit, when I think a little more about it from that perspective, in a certain sense the 2004 F-150 has had an impact on trucks similar to the '88 Silverado. Hmmm ...

This is it exactly.

The '88s were a revolution, the 2014s are not.

• Agree 1

At at glance they look like MCEs, the average person wouldn't be able to tell every panel is new. If you look at the old and new models side by side, then yes you can see they are completely but subtly different. Of course, Ford has been getting away with refreshed front and rear ends for years on its trucks so its probably moot. I can't help but be disappointed though, especially how similar the two trucks still are and how the Silverado's grill looks 1.5x too large.

I think if the lower grill was more flush with the headlights I would like it better, and it would look closer to the classic truck front ends if that's what they were going for.

post-1757-0-62336900-1355543832_thumb.jp

I think the question that's been brought up before though, and is very valid, is what are the new trucks bringing to the segment? Better engines, better aerodynamics, and better (quality at least) interiors. But what else? Ram brought coil springs, air suspension, and by extension the best ride quality in the segment, Rambox, 8-speed automatics that paired with a V6 get 25 mpg highway, class leading interiors, intuitive technology. Ford brought class leading capabilities, a turbo V6 that makes more power than the V8s while getting better economy, and is selling very well, the SVT Raptor, and the clever bed step.

They're fine trucks to be sure, but besides Cruise Grade Braking they don't seem bring anything new to the table that we haven't seen before.

This is it exactly.

The '88s were a revolution, the 2014s are not.

These are definitely evolutionary from the '07 generation, as the '99 was evolutionary from the '88. Ford's revolutionary design was the '97, which definitely wasn't universally accepted...seems like it may have been a misstep considering they went to blocky and bland w/ the '04.

But why did they let them wither? Detroit could no longer compete in the compact pick up segment or minivan segment in the case of Ford and GM, because the Japanese took those over. Build mediocre full size pickups for another 20 years and Toyota or someone else will move in and that that over too.

Diversion of resources to segments that were more profitable and were also selling better. The market as a whole turned away from small pickups, Tacoma not excepted. So much so that Detroit has almost completely left the segment (is Colorado still coming?), and all that are left are the Frontier and the Tacoma.

One would expect that Nissan and Toyota would have picked up the sales that were supposedly "lost" or "given away" by Ford and Dodge... but the Tacoma hasn't come close to its 2006 sales high even with fewer competitors now, nor has the Frontier. So the Ranger and Dakota buyers didn't switch brands... they left that market altogether.

Ford's revolutionary design was the '97, which definitely wasn't universally accepted...seems like it may have been a misstep considering they went to blocky and bland w/ the '04.

If you're strictly speaking in the sense of progression, then yes, the '97 F-150 was Ford's revolutionary pickup design. However, when it debuted it was doing little more than playing catch up to the GMT-400 trucks. Ford was simply so reluctant to take a significant gamble on the F-150 for the two "generations" of trucks that came before the '97 models that they allowed both GM and Chrysler to pretty much pass them in both technology and design. Considering how well those traditional F-150 models sold I can't say I blame them, but having the best sales doesn't necessarily mean you have the best image.

Going back to the train of thought I touched on earlier, the 2004 model F-150 trucks were really Ford's equivalent to the GMT-400s, where they could finally claim they had industry-best design and technology. I can actually remember, for example road tests and reviews comparing the design of upper-level '04 interiors to Audis. Those trucks made it hip to be square again, finally made it okay to put an interior in a truck that might would pass for what you would find in a decent family sedan. The formula of that truck was so correct that it's essentially carried on unchanged for a decade now and yet every truck since has tried to escape its shadow.

I'll leave this thought here: considering what I've seen from the current-generation Ram, I'm paying quite a lot of attention to what Chrysler is cooking up.

Air suspension? Really? Two turbochargers? Those buyers will be in for a world of hurt when they get miles on those trucks, the warranty runs out, and they're responsible for the repairs these "features" are going to generate. GM trucks were just recognized as the least expensive to run over time. That is real value in a purchase that, at close to $40k for the most popular combination, should be very compelling to a thinking man, whether he be buying a truck (or a fleet of them) for work or personal use.

I'll tell you (the universal "you", no one in particular) what, I will take a GM truck for the way they're put together ANY DAY OF THE WEEK over any other brand. GM trucks have long-term benefits the others cannot match. Simply. The real world calls, and GM trucks answer that call in the clearest, most consistent way.

• Agree 1

I don't think anyone here thinks the new trucks will fail to make a profit for GM and totally fail. You can see that in the comments. No one is asking for odd radical designs or quad turbochargers etc.

What I see not just here but elsewhere too that while the engine moved on and the details of the truck moved on the styling did not. Ford and Chrysler has made these mistakes in the past too. Often they were corrected soon after.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest the new truck moved forward at a 5. While not bad the maket has been moving more at an 8 with most others. GM may not lose market share but I see little with them gaining much.

The thing that excited more buyers than anything is styling and when you saw how people got excited when the Chevys went from 1987-1988 and how the sales responded it was amazing. I know several people who were Ford F150 owners that today own Chevys because of the styling changes. Now todays truck changed like a 1967 vs a 1969 and just will lack the excitment in the market.

The other improvments are great and the new engines will really help but the fact remains what is seen by the eye is what generated more excitment for a new vehicle than anything. They may have changed everything on the truck but they kept the same style nose and fenders and just did not advance the styling much at all.

This segment is as tough or even more tough than the mid size car market and right now GM is lacking in both for long term growth in them. Yes they will survive but just don't expect market share growth.

Here are some comments from a GMC based web site and these are not cherry picked.

Inside is very nice outside is the same old dated style with new grill and headlights.

I was hoping for a bit score with the new GMs. I will be likely order a 13' Ram 3500 as I can't wait on GM, they are so slow to respond.

Yea they need something that's gonna bump them back up to the top. Ram trucks are sharp they have nice style.

Even this new truck looks similar to the old one and to other autos by Chevy.

I had looked at the full size trucks and with my discount could have save 13,000 on a 12 but the nox was good enough for now mpg is good and a great looking vehicle please gm bring some hightech with the 2015 trucks.

Funny I checked the mail today and got a offer for the 2012 Silverado, almost $9500 off. I have seen dealers around here have so many on the lots, they prob can't give them away. I will always be a Chevy guy at heart, but just not thrilled with the new design. I am not a fan of putting LTZ on the grill. GMC still wins it for me this round.

This was just the first page on the thread. There just was little excitment for the new old styling. As for the inteiror. some like it some don't. This reflects much of what I have seen on the web and have yet to see anyone even consider this close to a home run. If it were not for the new drivetrain this would have been a major problem for GM.

I have seen more than one person comment that with the discounts on the older trucks and similar styling they may consider the money savings on the old truck vs waiting for the new one. That is not what you want to hear about your new truck.

Almost all have taken to the GMC as the nose changed enough to stir excitment. Most poles have been 2/3's GMC vs 1/3 Chevy.

Edited by hyperv6

As Ocn says, GM trucks are the best in the long haul. The "longest lasting, most dependable" claims are real - my experience has confirmed this for me. And, while I am not thrilled with this new design and would consider competitors, my positive experiences with GM trucks still carries quite a bit of weight.

I wasn't thrilled with the design of the later years of the GMT800, and never liked the GMT900 pickups, so this evolutionary new design just doesn't do too much for me. But I did buy a late-design 800, and found it to be a great truck that I wish I still had.

The converse is that I thought the styling was a backward step from the earlier 800 I bought before it, and that trend has continued up to the present in my view. The GMT400s, on the other hand, just got better and better each year, and that's what I'd like to see these new trucks do.

I'll give them a few years to get it right.

Hyper, good grief, what changed between 1967 and 1969 except for the grille? These 2014 trucks share NOTHING with the 2013's.

You guys just wait to see them on the lots next to the old trucks. I guarantee you you'll notice the difference.

This is unfortunate. Ugly and blocky inside and out. Not aspirational. Not gotta have. The current trucks look better.

I didn't have internet then, but I bet the forums were abuzz with pretty much the same comment in the fall of 1972... and the fall of 1980... and the fall of 1987... with regards to first sightings of new GM pickups.

Speaking of the fall of 1987... I was royally disappointed when I first saw the new '88 GM pickups... they were so small and wimpy looking after the big, square-nosed '81-'87 models, with an instrument cluster that was unreadable and a totally Fisher-Price plastic dash. And I felt the same in the fall of 1979 when the new Fords first broke cover... small and wimpy next to the big ol' 73-'79 Fords.

...and look how that turned out. These new GM trucks will do just fine. They're fantastic, imo.

Edited by ocnblu

At this point you have the two camps of I like, I do not like. We just need to wait for the actual hands on reviews and get them on the lots for people to kick the tires and light the fires and then we will see how they really do! :)

The dash isn't bad, not like the hideous mess that the F150 has. But the current truck dash looks much nicer, IMO...

mm_gal_item_c2_14.img_resize.img_stage._1.jpg

I don't like the current interior much at all, very dated. From that picture I see "Buick Lucurne" parts bin.

2006-Buick-Lucerne-by-RIDES-Magazine-Interior-1280x960.jpg

That said, the Silverado is growing on me by leaps and bounds. Seeing it moving in the videos really shows off the detail and the full amount of it. I noticed a brand new F-150 while I was out and about today.. .and it will look very plain and dumpy next to the 2014 Silvy.

When truck designers run out of ideas, it seems like they tack on a bigger, bolder grille and try to slather as much chrome as possible. There are many elements that are overstyled. That's what gives me a bad first impression of these trucks. That said, after a couple of days of looking at these, I can say that they are not that bad, and the looks wouldn't keep me from buying one should I find a need to replace my Silverado, and I wouldn't go running over to a Ford or Ram store. There is differentiation between the Chevy and GMC beyond the obvious differences in the fronts, but it doesn't appear to be meaningful differentiation, and for all that expense, it's too subtle. The current Silverado has some odd styling details, and there are definite improvements. However, overall, not much new is brought to the table. I will wait to see these in person before giving a full verdict.

As a current owner of a GMT-800 (2000 GMC Sierra SLE X-Cab 4x4), these new trucks seem to address most of the things I didn't like about the GMT-900s.

The 4 wheel disc brakes are back as standard, the tailgate design is cleaner and that cheap looking single piece of black plastic on the rear bumper around the license plate is gone. I'm also hopeful that the "thin paint/thin sheetmetal" look when you look down the side of the current GMT-900s was corrected.

The Silverado in particular looks a lot better to me than the current 1500 model since I like that the 2014 followed the front end treatment of the current 2500HD models. I've always felt the current Silverado 1500 model had an awkward front end, primarily due to that multi-piece front bumper.

The new GMC Sierra styling may be enough to send me to a Chevy dealership...I'll need to see one in person. The headlight treatment and the foglights set in the chrome bumper with the black surround don't work for me in the pictures.

The four biggest negatives I see:

1. The screen in the dash looks small. The wide plastic border on the left and right sides of the screen make it appear that a larger screen was expected but not delivered.
  2. Rear bumper step. I hope this is optional as I'd prefer just to have a regular bumper without the cut outs.
  3. The rear door design on the extended cab models. I've had my truck for 12 years and used the back seat in the extended cab exactly once. I do, however open the rear cab door on the driver's side multiple times a day to allow an 80lb dog to enter and exit the rear of the cab. So I have serious concerns about the access restrictions this new door design will impose (and how flat the rear floor will be). Also, given that the only feature I disliked about the Ram was the rear cab design, GM has also relinquished the one feature that would have locked up my repeat business.
  4. RAM Details. Ram offers great details: dual exhaust, two-tone paint, Rambox, tilting mirrors for trailering, storage compartments in the cab floor, etc. It's disappointing GM appears to have missed an opportunity.

Edited by BigPontiac

Hyper, good grief, what changed between 1967 and 1969 except for the grille? These 2014 trucks share NOTHING with the 2013's.

You guys just wait to see them on the lots next to the old trucks. I guarantee you you'll notice the difference.

That is my point. If you post up a photo from the side of the new truck and the present truck.

While it may be new sheet metal it still looks the same. Most people will not take the time to not the change in the roof pillars and the change in the rear door etc. The normal truck buyer does not have the same Jaundice Eye most of us carry here and will see a truck that is not all that different till they get to the mechanical details. Sorry but it is the frosting that often sells the cake. My point is GM did not fail but they could and should have done better in blessing a new platform with it's own look.

Like Camino the last truck was never the best looking one they had so my though it why copy it? The 1988 was a very good and well styled truck but it also reinforced how changed the truck was from the one before it. It sent a message to the entire industry that it was top dog before you ever even got to the parts list.

I will give it they have improved it over the last model but not enough to excite the average buyer.

In the end it will sell as people buy Ford or Chevy because that is all they every buy. Brand loyalty can save your ass in cases like this but I do not see any maket growth here.

And again no I do not think they need to go Dodge crazy in styling just a new look and more fresh styling excite buyers. As it is too many elsewhere are commenting how the discounts on the old ones will be more appealing vs the new truck since it look nearly the same. It will be up to the better NHV, better Interior and new powertrain with the MPG to sell this one.

GM will not fail here but they will leave some sales on the table they could have claimed. Too many will just see this as a refresh and not a new package. Refresh never generate market excitment like a new platform and in this case GM will lose that advantage.

Also this trucks styling will not age well unless they replace the styling in 3-4 years. It already looks like it has been around for a while so add 4 more years to that and it will really look old.

Ford made this same mistake too so it is not just GM. They bounced back with greater styling in the next one.

The bottom like GM will survive this and I have every right to be disapointed in the lack of fresh styling when I expected better. I am not the only one so it is not just me and this will be an on going debate for a while in more places than just here. The fact is GM is not going to hit a home run every time and this is one of them. I know this and accept this but can still comment on it.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Disagree 1

The dash isn't bad, not like the hideous mess that the F150 has. But the current truck dash looks much nicer, IMO...

I don't like the current interior much at all, very dated. From that picture I see "Buick Lucerne" parts bin.

That's what I like about the current interior, very car-like... not crude and truckish like Ford's plastic disaster...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

One thing none of us have considered with the conservitiv styling is that the new Colorado and Caynon are coming in late 2014.

As reported by some the new truck is about 90% the size of a Half ton full size.

Is GM going to play with the Colorado more to attract the buyers with greater changes and keep the presnt full size truck more conservitive as a back up?

I have considered the new Colorado a little too large but they may be working this in a different direction for the future to help entice people to the little smaller truck while retaining most of the full size sales.

Also we have to wonder how the styling on the new Ford will effect the Chevy as it will be shown in Detroit this Jan too. Will they move the sticks forward enought it could be an issue with the non loyal buyers.

Also one has to wonder if and when Ford brings the Ranger back. It has been praised else where and if Chevys Colorado works you know they will pull the trigger.

I suspect we may see some big changes in the next 5 years coming in the truck market. They all need more MPG and DI will only take them so far.

2014-gmc-sierra-1500-sle-photo-4926.jpg

The Sierra is definitely the more attractive of the two. Shame it wasn't blessed with a different interior.

As an owner of a 2009 GMC Sierra, it's sad to know it took me a bit to see if I was looking at the outgoing model or the new model from this pic. To say the public won't be able to tell much of a difference is an understatement at best. Holding out hope that the interior is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of build quality and materials, that the powertrain is an 8 speed, and that the mileage is in the 22-23 range. If GM believes that there is no replacement for displacement than here's to hoping that they are able to outgun Ford and Dodge in HP and Torque numbers by a mile (like they did when Cadillac came out with guns blazing on the V-6 pumping 300+ horses).

The Sierra is definitely the more attractive of the two. Shame it wasn't blessed with a different interior.

As an owner of a 2009 GMC Sierra, it's sad to know it took me a bit to see if I was looking at the outgoing model or the new model from this pic. To say the public won't be able to tell much of a difference is an understatement at best. Holding out hope that the interior is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of build quality and materials, that the powertrain is an 8 speed, and that the mileage is in the 22-23 range. If GM believes that there is no replacement for displacement than here's to hoping that they are able to outgun Ford and Dodge in HP and Torque numbers by a mile (like they did when Cadillac came out with guns blazing on the V-6 pumping 300+ horses).

I guess with my 4 eye's :P I can clearly see the differences. I really like this Evolutionary look and the interior is awesome especially once the pictures were posted to compare everyone's inside.

I guess with my 4 eye's :P I can clearly see the differences. I really like this Evolutionary look and the interior is awesome especially once the pictures were posted to compare everyone's inside.

Yes but how many people in the market place have every body line memorized like many of us here do. We can see the small changes but many buyers out there will not sit and study the differences. The Two things that will sell this truck is loyaty and the new featured details once someone investigates the truck.

Styling will not run anyone off but it will not bring any fresh interest. If you were not a fan of the last truck this one will not change your mind much.

I am just sad many will see the truck and not investigate the many changes under the skin.

Thanks. What a weird translation of the engrish in the text at the link. And I think it's a huge mistake to only sell the regular cabs with full body condom, and only in black with Xmas lights on the back. For sure I will be shopping at a Ford or Dodge dealer after seeing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Non-SLT LED lighting/headlight, as shown on the GMC Facebook page:

155432_10151303188763701_1648157972_n.jpg

Sierra SLE 2WD Extended Cab, as shown on the GMC Facebook page:

425720_10151303188493701_148552968_n.jpg

406734_10151303188828701_118181948_n.jpg

149735_10151303188703701_886822809_n.jpg

(Notice the painted bodyside molding strip; chrome is extra cost; assuming not available on WT model)

68912_10151303194923701_1129477362_n.jpg

(Notice no 4WD dial on the driver's side of the dash = 2WD model)

What I find interesting is that there are many people - not just here at C&G - that feel this is the "basic" dash and the SLT/LTZ will have something different. GM has stated there is one interior now, and this is it. Since the SLT/LTZ have been officially shown in the reveal, what you see is what you're getting - regardless of WT/LS, SLE/LT, or SLT/LTZ package is purchased. Now the Chevy's "High Country" and GMC's "Denali" have yet to be shown, and I'm thinking this will be the surprise at the NAIAS. I am expecting a glitzier dash in those trucks. I'm also expecting the HDs to feature their own dash, just like how Ford differentiates the F-150 from the Super Duty's.

At least GM is still smart enough to include a side molding that not only spruces up the look but also protects from other jerks banging there doors into you. Try finding one on a Tundra or F-150. Many used examples of those have dings, scratches and missing paint right where that molding is placed on the GM duo. I wouldn't want a car or truck without out that in today's cruel world!

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the Ford Atlas concept...even more disappointed with what GM did with these. I look at that thing compared to the 2014 Silverado and it makes the Silverado look like it's a 99 Model. I've owned a GM truck my whole driving life (96 Sierra, 2007 Avalanche, 2009 Sierra) and never once considered a different make. I'm not sure I can support and reward such a careless approach to the design progression of these trucks. Going to the Houston Auto Show next week and hopefully they will both be there. I'll take some live pictures if they are and report back.

I feel that people should not be blinded by the Show Truck Bling on the Atlas. Atlas is NOT a production truck. It will necessarily be dumbed down for production. Under that Bling is a very familiar shape, no more "revolutionary" than the new GM trucks.

• Agree 1

I feel that people should not be blinded by the Show Truck Bling on the Atlas. Atlas is NOT a production truck. It will necessarily be dumbed down for production. Under that Bling is a very familiar shape, no more "revolutionary" than the new GM trucks.

Two wrongs don't make a right, the F-150 especially has had the same basic design for a decade now, clearly the Atlas is hinting that the new F-150 won't be all that different either.

• Agree 1