Random Thoughts Thread

Need a New Used Car? According to this story, Prices for used auto's dropped 34 plus percent in April. On top of this, Hertz is in deep trouble as it is mostly owned by two banks and as such the banks over the next two weeks will decide to either liquidate and close Hertz or attempt to sell off at least half of the auto's they have to pay bills and try and survive.

https://jalopnik.com/a-hertz-bankruptcy-could-sink-an-already-struggling-use-1843414354

Per the story, Hertz is currently on the hook for the leases on 567,000 vehicles, with another 200,000 internationally, spread out across its 12,400 locations.

Read at the link above to see their options, but it is NOT pretty and I would not be surprised to see the banks liquidate their options to save what cash they can.

Benefit will be the public that can afford an auto if the auto's they have for sale are desirable.

Next is the Aston Martin story where the Canadian Billionare came to the rescue of his beloved brand and took it over and then sales tanked in the last quarter of the year and start of this year were considerably lower with lower prices and then Covid-19 hit. Now the question is what will this guy do next? Cut bait and run? Nope they say they have a plan to survive and come out in better shape.

Interesting is that the new billionaire owner wants to be more like Ferrari where you only build what customers buy and not have hundreds to thousands of auto's sitting on a dealer lot.

https://jalopnik.com/aston-martin-is-in-bad-shape-but-it-says-it-has-a-plan-1843443664

Time will tell if this strategy works for them as they move to being an EV auto company.

Interesting Morning News:

GM has a CDC approved cleaning program for all dealers to follow and market to insure safety when going to a dealership on how to clean an auto, what to use that will not harm leather, plastic rubber, etc. but sterilize the touch points in an auto. Good Move GM.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/general-motors-chevy-buick-gmc-cadillac-dealer-disinfect-clean/

Masarati MC20 sports car shows off with a stirling Moss wrap. Not really sure why people like these. I get it if you are advertising a company to wrap an auto, but otherwise let the beauty of the auto show and not cover it with ugly wraps.

Am I alone or do others here find wraps ugly unless it is for Marketing a company like on vans or trucks?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/maserati-mc20-sports-car-stirling-moss/

2021 FORD F-150 Delayed, possibly a short model year run. Due to Covid-19, Ford has pushed back when they will open up the order books from May 11th to July 15th but further delays could happen they say as production start moves from September 28th to November 9th.

Ford has declined to comment further but seems the F-150 Hybrid paired with the 3.5L V6 and the F-150 EV are still on track to debut with the Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-f-150-delays-production-coronavirus/

On 5/13/2020 at 9:13 PM, trinacriabob said:

If you could go somewhere on an airplane - say a 1.5 to 2.5 hour flight - would you do it?  And, if you were able to, what precautions would you take ...  that they are not already taking for you?  

Wear gloves and a mask and carry some sanitizer to spray other people?     I'm not getting on a plane anytime soon, maybe in a year or so if things recover.      There are lots of places I'd love to go, but not until things get to a 'new normal' eventually....

I really want to go to Colorado for a week or so, been five years since I've been there, lots of friends I want to see and places I want to go...maybe next summer.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

In 2000s, I was flying 10-15 times a year probably.  I took it for granted then.  I’ve only flown 10 times in last 5 years, only twice in the last 3 years. 

I'm content to stay home and drive out to the islands and beaches on Lake Erie over the summer and fall.  I really want to travel again to the West Coast and Europe, though.   Maybe 2021.

Edited by Robert Hall

Till we have a vaccine and we understand the weird death that is now hitting kids caused by Covid-19, my travel will be by my own auto with social distance between me and everyone else. No Virus bugs for me.

• Agree 2

On 5/15/2020 at 7:02 PM, balthazar said:

I've been on a plane I think 4 times in 30 years. Not a big traveler.

I'm not laughing AT you.  I'm laughing WITH you.  Since you like Americana and vintage items, you don't need to travel all that much, let alone by air, to enjoy those things.

Elon Musk may have violated Tesla conduct policy by smoking weed

Elon Musk

I'm trading my wife's old car in. 

Say good-bye to the old gas-guzzler, X Æ A-12!  It pretty exciting, isn't it, X Æ A-12?

X Æ A-12

What's that, Dad?

Elon Musk

Picking up the new car! You can't wait, can you?

Hi there, Ed!

Ed

Good to see you, Mr. Musk!  How are you doing?

Rubin right?

X Æ A-12: 

X Æ A-12.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@dfelt

The Cybertruck on top.  Elon Musk's Family Truckster...

The very movie starts with that dialogue...    The song at the beginning, the dealership and the ending song from the movie.  OK. I decided to use the European Vacation end song.

The smoking weed pic is to simulate how hippy-ish-ly stupid  he is and the naming of his child:  X Æ A-12

Its satire, but if one has to explain the joke...apparently it aint that funny...  :( 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

Interesting latest list of Auto's expected to last 200,000 miles with just basic maintenance.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/these-cars-are-the-most-likely-to-surpass-200000-miles/ss-BB13Ud6n?li=BBnb7Kz#image=1

• Toyota Tacoma
  • Lincoln Navigator
  • Toyota Avalon
  • Honda Odyssey
  • Toyota Tundra
  • Honda Ridgeline
  • GMC Yukon
  • Toyota 4Runner
  • GMC Yukon XL
  • Chevrolet Tahoe
  • Toyota Highlander Hybrid
  • Chevrolet Suburban
  • Ford Expedition
  • Toyota Sequoia
  • Toyota Land Cruiser
  • Honda Pilot
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Cadillac Escalade ESV
  • Acura MDX
  • Toyota Highlander
  • Honda Civic
  • Toyota Sienna
  • Toyota Prius
  • Honda Accord
  • Mercedes-Benz E-class
  • Chevrolet Impala
  • Toyota Camry
  • Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • Chevrolet Silverado 1500
  • Ford F-150

Most Reliable Brands in the Auto Industry.

1. Toyota
  2. Honda
  3. GMC
  4. Chevrolet
  5. Ford

This makes you wonder, where are the Europeans for Reliability and quality? 🤔

The rare Mercedes E-Class is on the list due to it being a highly used service auto, taxi / fleet service. Guess that clarifies that the E-Class is not a Luxury car.

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

@dfelt

The Cybertruck on top.  Elon Musk's Family Truckster...

The very movie starts with that dialogue...    The song at the beginning, the dealership and the ending song from the movie.  OK. I decided to use the European Vacation end song.

The smoking weed pic is to simulate how hippy-ishp-ly stupid  he is and the naming of his child:  X Æ A-12

Its satire, but if one has to explain the joke...apparently it aint that funny...  :( 

THANK YOU, Sorry, never was one to get humor. Late night TV I find very insulting as none of it to me is funny. I get the point now of what your are making fun of.

59 minutes ago, dfelt said:

The rare Mercedes E-Class is on the list due to it being a highly used service auto, taxi / fleet service

This list is for the US market.  I don't believe I have seen too many E-class here  used as taxi or fleet vehicles, as a matter of fact almost never.

Edited by ykX

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Interesting latest list of Auto's expected to last 200,000 miles with just basic maintenance.

• Toyota Tacoma

Most Reliable Brands in the Auto Industry.

1. Toyota
  2. Honda
  3. GMC
  4. Chevrolet
  5. Ford

GMC/Chevrolet ahead of Ford.  That's good.

As for the #1 ranked (according to that list) Toyota Tacoma, are dealerships currently delivering them during the current pandemic prepped, sanitized, and disinfected with "the aroma of Tacoma?"

• Haha 1

What piqued my interest is who is NOT on this list: no FIAT/Chrysler product, no Nissan/Infiniti product, no Mazda or Hyundai/KIA product.  Oh, and no German Anything either.  Also, mostly BOF SUV/pickup trucks with relatively few cars/minivans and almost NO CUVs.

6 hours ago, ykX said:

This list is for the US market.  I don't believe I have seen too many E-class here  used as taxi or fleet vehicles, as a matter of fact almost never.

I don't think that was the point. Rather; that the volume of e-class fleet/taxi perhaps warrants s slightly higher degree of quality to maintain that revenue stream. Aren't all e-class built in Germany & exported?

5 hours ago, riviera74 said:

What piqued my interest is who is NOT on this list: no FIAT/Chrysler product, no Nissan/Infiniti product, no Mazda or Hyundai/KIA product.  Oh, and no German Anything either.  Also, mostly BOF SUV/pickup trucks with relatively few cars/minivans and almost NO CUVs.

CUVs might be a surprise.....

12 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Van is kinda sexy.....or I am really getting old.... 😮 

Maybe you need to sleep and look at that Big Mouth Billy Bass mouth MiniVan in the morning. 

🤪

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Yeah, maybe I’ve grown used to them I guess. Will say the van has a nice rear though for its size... 😉 

As we get older, us guys do like a rear on a woman! :P :D 

• Haha 2

Seems VW woes in selling auto's continue and could mare their ICE product line big time.

Seems the all new Mk8 with over the air software updates is so buggy that auto shipments for sale have been suspended and this seems to be a trend among all their new models with auto shipments being suspended till software is fixed.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/05/mk8-golf-deliveries-suspended-over-software-gremlins/

Diesel gate haunts VW, now it would seem that neither EV or ICE is able to escape the Gremlins of rushed software. 

Welcome to the computer age VW.

For the Ford Fans, seems a Russian moder has created the ultimate E-Series Van.

Ford Raptor Van 6x6

image.png

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33515/russian-built-ford-raptor-bus-is-the-ultimate-e-series-van

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

I don't think that was the point. Rather; that the volume of e-class fleet/taxi perhaps warrants s slightly higher degree of quality to maintain that revenue stream. Aren't all e-class built in Germany & exported?

Saying that because E-class is used in limo or taxi and therefore it is not luxury it is the same thing can be said regarding Cadillac and Lincoln, which actually used a lot as fleet vehicles.

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Saying that because E-class is used in limo or taxi and therefore it is not luxury it is the same thing can be said regarding Cadillac and Lincoln, which actually used a lot as fleet vehicles.

Cadillac hearses and Lincoln limousines.  Been that way since at least the 1950s. 

This might clear up a few things about German cars in general. . . . or not: https://www.insidehook.com/article/vehicles/field-guide-most-popular-yuppie-car

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Seems VW woes in selling auto's continue and could mare their ICE product line big time.

Seems the all new Mk8 with over the air software updates is so buggy that auto shipments for sale have been suspended and this seems to be a trend among all their new models with auto shipments being suspended till software is fixed.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/05/mk8-golf-deliveries-suspended-over-software-gremlins/

Diesel gate haunts VW, now it would seem that neither EV or ICE is able to escape the Gremlins of rushed software. 

Welcome to the computer age VW.

For the Ford Fans, seems a Russian moder has created the ultimate E-Series Van.

Ford Raptor Van 6x6

image.png

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33515/russian-built-ford-raptor-bus-is-the-ultimate-e-series-van

That is a badass van.....

• Agree 2

On 5/15/2020 at 7:02 PM, balthazar said:

I've been on a plane I think 4 times in 30 years. Not a big traveler.

In your case, a broom might be a better way to fly...just kidding, bro.....!

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/498551-ford-to-require-trump-to-wear-mask-during-plant-visit-report

Ford won a bit of my respect for this. 

On 5/18/2020 at 10:52 PM, daves87rs said:

Van is kinda sexy.....or I am really getting old.... 😮 

They need to do a TRD version w/ some ground effects, black wheels, red leather interior, black roof, big wing on the back...

BTW, the Japanese-market Alphard van is available w/ a TRD kit...

8d41d9f20b407d43921713aecae89a6e.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, William Maley said:

I would have, but I hav been quite busy with the day job. New project is taking a lot of me and has caused a number of items to be pushed back (sees list of reviews needing to be written).

Hopefully, I will do some news writing in the next week or so depending on this project.

Also, I happen to like the new Sienna. I'm very much the outlier in this forum.

Have we told you lately that we appreciate your continued participation?

• Agree 3

There is a BIG difference between Cadillac hearses and ambulances and Mercedes E Class taxis...

Why E Class sedans are NOT luxury is BECAUSE the E Class car is made into a taxi FROM the factory...

In Cadillac's case, Cadillac just supplied the rolling chassis to independant coachbuilders and they completed the fitment of their bodywork and interiors and the final assembly.  

What all this means is that the E Class, FROM THE FACTORY is built, produced with SPARTAN, UTILITARIAN interiors...and sold to liveries.  

The Cadillac hearses and ambulances were created by outside independent companies.  Interiors and bodywork and assembly... Cadillac just supplied the rolling chassis and the dashboard. 

Now... 

Im giving a tongue and cheek response and opinion to all this E Class talk of it not being a luxury car.  JUST to prove a point with another point of view that was given a month or two ago.  Plus to troll a certain resident poster that has blinders on. 

This post here is just to set the facts.  Cadillac did not build ambulances and hearses. They just supplied the chassis.  

And why Lincolns and Cadillacs were and are still hearses along with Mercedes Benzes?  

Because your final ride should be made with class. And what better final ride of your time on earth to be made than with a finest of all automobiles?  A Lincoln or Cadillac in North America and in Europe, I would imagine that to be a Mercedes.

• Haha 1