Random Thoughts Thread

I'm sure most people here have seen the news over the last few weeks regarding the I-10 freeway shootings in Phoenix. Well, they caught the guy yesterday and it turns out that they caught him by forensically linking the ballistics to a gun that the idiot pawned at my shop (not literally mine. I just work there). AZDPS officers had been in touch with us a couple of times this week and they were gathering all of his business dealings with us to put this case together and nail the little SOB. It certainly made for a busy day at the shop and this is what I was talking about when I said I had more important things to worry about.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/arizona-news/21696347-story

This was the message left by my boss after the arrest.

11225450_906529252728956_508081317024689

• Agree 3

Saw something I never thought I would today. Then about 7-8 more. Fully built(looking and sounding) 70-80's drag cars pulling trailers. They were small trailers but the first one that I saw that caught my ears and then eyes had MASSIVE slicks on the back and it chirped them what sounded like shifting 1-3. Not aggressive. Just wicked stall on a car with stupid power. Oh and the trailers. Lol I caught one pic and you can kindof see two. The closest one pictures in a Fox Body mustang..with a trailer. Lol I also don't know where they were all going. There wasn't a track anywhere in the direction they were heading unless they were all leaving Gateway Motorsports Park and coincidently going the same way(about 20 minutes from the track). I didn't think they had things during the day like that but if they did, that's awesome!

Well, here's the pic I grabbed. Damnit. I don't know why it rotated when I posted it.

I found out what was going on.

"September 13, 2015 - September 19, 2015

HOT ROD Drag Week is the event where street/strip cars are driven 1,000-plus miles on public roads during a trip that includes four dragstrips and five races in five days. The winner in each of the many classes is the car that averages the quickest elapsed time over the five races, and the quickest overall is named HOT ROD's Fastest Street Car in America. Drag Week: anything else is just talk."

I'm sure most people here have seen the news over the last few weeks regarding the I-10 freeway shootings in Phoenix. Well, they caught the guy yesterday and it turns out that they caught him by forensically linking the ballistics to a gun that the idiot pawned at my shop (not literally mine. I just work there). AZDPS officers had been in touch with us a couple of times this week and they were gathering all of his business dealings with us to put this case together and nail the little SOB. It certainly made for a busy day at the shop and this is what I was talking about when I said I had more important things to worry about.

Good to hear they have a suspect.they have linked him to 4 of the shootings...I've heard speculation on the radio that there may be copycat shooters responsible for the other shootings..who knows at this point..  I'm not on the freeways w/ my current commute across the valley, but I've been following it in the news closely...

11225450_906529252728956_508081317024689

That's really cool!

Good to hear they have a suspect.they have linked him to 4 of the shootings...I've heard speculation on the radio that there may be copycat shooters responsible for the other shootings..who knows at this point..  I'm not on the freeways w/ my current commute across the valley, but I've been following it in the news closely...

Yeah, they said weeks ago that there could have been a copy cat out there but they are still investigating this so a lot of what transpired with our shop has been kept hush hush. Certainly has made for one crazy week.

This is one of the worst games I've ever watched. (Dallas at Philly). I've seen little league football games that are better than this game.

Dont divulge any info please...

Im waiting for the family to go to bed before I watch it...I recorded it.

Romo injured....

Not even that stuff though. It was just the sloppiest game I've ever watched professionals play. Both teams. Nobody deserved a win..

Dez is still up in the air. I wouldn't be too worried about 10-12 weeks quite yet. Now Romo may have that time table. It all depends if they have to put a metal plate in there or not, I think.

Nope most so called professional sports teams are over paid and clearly over valued. Plenty of lazy people in it for a quick buck and return on investment to the fans. Plenty of games this weekend showed this.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Nope most so called professional sports teams are over paid and clearly over valued. Plenty of lazy people in it for a quick buck and return on investment to the fans. Plenty of games this weekend showed this.

Man, we could say this about any industry really.

Its a SEVERAL billion dollar industry world wide...

Always was...always will be...

Go back to Roman times...the Gladiators were celebrities filling up stadiums...and the Colosseum was THE ticket...

The Ancient Greek Olympics...WARS were STOPPED to let the Olympic Games play out...

I could elaborate more on those two examples with pics of pottery and the like to prove how powerful sports are in the Western Society if I need to...

I get it that you aint that impressed by "the Big Leagues" and I think I know why...

Trust me...I understand...

Fila shoes, Vodafone, Nike, Coca-Cola, McDonald's etc...all make BILLIONS of dollars with the Olympic Games...yet the country that started them...GREECE...and the country that re-introduced them to the world...FRANCE....get NOTHING out of it...at least France might get something back from Renault or Peugeot or Grand Marnier comercials that people will see and may buy those products helping France's exports....and dont let me get started with the athletes not enjoying that piece of the pie...unless that athlete has won a gold medal or two and has a pretty face so Nike could endorse them...

And THAT is where "professional" sports leagues comes in...

Like I said...its a billion dollar industry...owners of sports teams have invested money...and now they reap the benefits...because like I said...its a form of entertainment for people...so...its only fair that the athletes who play in these games get a piece of that pie...

WHY?

Because some of these athletes start at the young ge of ...5 years old...they play...for fun, but every week they play and practice...they contune up until the age of 10...they continue to play and practice...two/three times a week...honing in on their athletic abilities...while having fun making new friends...learning how to compete, how to win, how to lose...who they are...and how they are gonna face adversity...

They do this until the age of 15...they continue to compete...learning new athletic abilities, perfecting old athletic abilities, and now they get to travel to compete with other athletes...from other parts of the country....and other countries..

They continue to do this until the age of 20...

Now...they might be picked up by a professional team...now...its not about having fun...its a job...that they trained for...15 years already...15 years...

They do this until the age of 25...now...they are practically at the peak of their athletic excellence...20 year career so far...

They continue to do this until the age of 30-35....

If they retire at the age of 35...because most do...some continue on to 40...but we will stop this at 35...that would be a career of playing sports at 30 years...30 years....30 years...

Now....these guys reitire at the age of 35...a human lives until the age of 75...that would be another 40 years this person needs to find employment...with little school...what do you want this person to do for another 30 years...this person already has has 1 career...you want this person to get another career?

This is why because its a BILLION dollar...athletes DESERVE million dollar contracts...because they train...work out, practice....since they were 5 years old...when you and I would sleep in on Saturday mornings and waking up to see cartoons on TV or playing video games...these guys were practicing at 6:00 AM...for 15 years they sacrificed their sleep to practice...in high school...all the after school practices...all the out of town games when coming back home at 2:00 in the morning only to go back to school the next day...

And now...at 35 years of age...there is no more income...are you willing to pay more taxes to support him...because if he aint a millionaire at 35 years old...he wont have money to support himself... (dont go on the argument that some of these guys party their money away...because that is another tangent that can be explored later...but has nothing to do with THIS issue...)

And...what if this person gets a career ending injury at the age of 30...even worse...now he is handicapped, because playing pro-sports...giving all you got...and your opponent too...tends to get pretty messy...that is COMPETITION my friend at its finest...

You dont like sports?

That is cool....but sports is the essence of mankind...

Its the human body and what amazing things the PHYSICAL human body can achieve...

OK...doctors save lives and they dont get millions of dollars doing so...and being a doctor is also in the essnece of mankind...its what amazing things the HUMAN BRAIN can achieve...I agree with you...but...hospitals dont generate billions of dollars of revenue like sports do....hospitals CREATE billions of dollars of debt...but...from time to time though...athletes give back to their city and their community...

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25304244/pk-subban-donating-10-million-to-montreals-childrens-hospital

PK Subban....a Montreal Canadiens defensman... just gave a 10 MILLION dollar donation  over 7 years to the Montreal Children's Hospital...link is above...

I know that the Montreal Canadiens..the Hockey CLUB....not the players...the CLUB itslef and the Boston Bruins....the Hockey CLUB...do all kinds of charitable events that donate the monies in their proper communities...so...where I live...in the North East....and the sport that I follow at least...because I dont know of the NFL...at least 2 NHL teams...do MANY things for Montreal and Boston...the owners and the players...GIVE BACK to our commuinty...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Hey El K....you were right.

Those Blue Jays...they are one exciting team to watch...

I finally became a Blue Jays fan...

It took awhile, but I made it through.

Yeah...its more of a bandwagon type deal...but hey...I got no Expos to cheer for...and I do LOVE baseball...

Jose Bautista...I havent seen an arm like that since...Montreal's (British Columbia's) Larry Walker...

And...as I type this...bottom of the 9th...homerun...and  then double...to maybe win the game? 

How effin awesome is THAT???!!!

Sports players & actors, both professionally playing games for a living, DO get unquestionably get overcompensated (on average). President of the U.S. gets $400K and Tom Cruise gets 20,000K??

That said, if they enter into a contract between 2 agreeing parties for said amount, more power to them. But no taxpayer money should be involved (IE: tax breaks or otherwise for stadiums/ filming locations).

I agree that they are overpaid.. I was just curious if one shuns the NFL and other professional sports does the same person not watch TV or movies(for critisizing the pay)?

At least at the sports level of things the human body is physically getting beat up day in and day out(like Olds said). The percentage of players once retired that are in constant pain (not just football) is incredible. Knees, backs, shoulders..any joint.. I'm not saying they deserve $50,000,000 contracts.. but I can see where they would get paid a very good amount to put their body through that, their life is in the spot light whether they want it or not, same with their family, constant traveling(never seeing said family), etc. And most professional players have no real sense of job security. Most players never make it to a second contract. At the very least at least professional athletes are not physically lazy. Everybody has their niche and some is physical movement and others is studying microbiology and others is brain surgery...

I'm also on the side that all politicials should take a 50% pay cut and see who really wants to make this country a better place rather than just reap the benefits... But that's for another day.

Edited by ccap41

Bethcha didn't know this; the last Chrysler letter car, the '65 300-L, had a light-up grille emblem ::

morrison651.jpg

Lil' details like that are pretty cool in my book.

- - - - -

Now… I hope someone has engineered a light up Eagle on the rear of their Imperial ::

65_Chrysler_Crown_Imperial_Limo_SL-06-RH

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

The '65 300 also had those neat clear headlight covers..the Imperial had similar covers then also.    One detail I love on the 64-66 Imperials is the offset rear license plate, as with the '71-72 Riviera..that's a detail I love...

As far as light up grille emblems, Mercedes has a light up 3 pointed star grille emblem on some models today, albeit a bit bigger than Chrysler's emblem...I'm surprised that trucks don't have such an option with their huge grille badges...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Pontiac had light-up hood ornaments for a stretch :

orange-indian-pontiac-hood-ornament.jpg

...started in late '40s and finished with twin fender bullets in '57.

Lit grille badges seems like a no brainer- surprised more haven't been done. This would have been awesome lit ('59) ::

17379862291_499cba1ed8_m.jpg

I believe we're going to see more of this in the near future...

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

I looked over the federal auto safety regs (started in '66) and there was nothing there about Chrysler's '65-66 glass headlight covers. I had thought they were outlawed, but perhaps there were condensation issues that caused ChryCo to stop using them; they were sharp. '65 300-L, '65-66 Imperial.

- - - - - 

There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with the '64 Imperial front end, but what I never care for is headlights 'just pasted' onto the grille texture. At least I think that's what it is. I get a cheap vibe from it for some reason. 

I looked over the federal auto safety regs (started in '66) and there was nothing there about Chrysler's '65-66 glass headlight covers. I had thought they were outlawed, but perhaps there were condensation issues that caused ChryCo to stop using them; they were sharp. '65 300-L, '65-66 Imperial.

- - - - - 

There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with the '64 Imperial front end, but what I never care for is headlights 'just pasted' onto the grille texture. At least I think that's what it is. I get a cheap vibe from it for some reason.

On further review, the headlights do kinda look like afterthoughts. But it's relentlessly square-ish as well. As far as the glass-covered headlights: I'm pretty sure there were laws against them. The Ferrari Daytona and Jag E-type had to change their look to sell over here.

- - - - - 

On further review, the headlights do kinda look like afterthoughts. But it's relentlessly square-ish as well. As far as the glass-covered headlights: I'm pretty sure there were laws against them. The Ferrari Daytona and Jag E-type had to change their look to sell over here.

Dodge got away with the clear headlight covers years later on the original Magnum because they opened when the lights were on. 

Read Motor Trend's review of the Lincoln MKX. For 63 grand and a claimed 50 more horsepower than an Edge you get the same acceleration and worse build quality than an Edge.

Yup. THAT'LL put Cadillac and the Germans on notice.

Correction: the MKX was about half a second slower than an Edge Sport. :duh:

I gave you the thumbs up for 2 reasons...

1. It was funny!

2. I KNOW it will get thumbed down....so..a preemptive  thumbs up BEFORE the predictable thumbs down.

But I set myself up for failure....its OK...

Ill take this one for the team...fallen soldier Ill become...

Ill be remembered in song and in literature.

Edited by oldshurst442

...on a serious note, though: what the heck is wrong with Ford?

This is A Ford Edge-based vehicle.

It supposedly has like 45 more hp than the Edge, and more torque as well.

It costs 63 grand in this "Black Label" trim, which supposedly gives you higher-end materials and a more discerning eye for the fine details.

And it winds up being slower than the Edge on which it's based, with crap fit and finish.

Seriously, Ford. Time. To. Wake. UP.

Edited by El Kabong

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I gave you the thumbs up for 2 reasons...

1. It was funny!

2. I KNOW it will get thumbed down....so..a preemptive  thumbs up BEFORE the predictable thumbs down.

But I set myself up for failure....its OK...

Ill take this one for the team...fallen soldier Ill become...

Ill be remembered in song and in literature.

So olds,

bong is trolling here plain and simple, and because nobody is biting yet, he cross posts the remarks in other threads to get attention.  

And you upvote this.

Good for you.

Wow

It was funny...

Lighten up...

At least he did not call you a grumpy old Greek...

006200_11.jpg

But Greek version...

4379788-Old-Greek-Men-0.jpg

With a bouzouki in his arms...

- Teach me to dance!

- Dance?

Did you say...dance? Come on my boy!

OPA!

Yia Sou Leventi!

PS: there is a message in that song...listen to the whole clip...the Englishman learns to have...fun...he laughs at the end...

Edited by oldshurst442