Random Thoughts Thread

Just finished a 4-hr stint of removing the cylinder heads on my 389 Pontiac. Car has been sitting unstarted, outside, since 1993, but MAN did all the bolts come loose beautifully. Motor is also amazingly clean inside, even the exhaust system is (was- I Sawzall'd thru it) rock solid. Pontiac built a helluva machine in the 60s.

• Agree 2

Just finished a 4-hr stint of removing the cylinder heads on my 389 Pontiac. Car has been sitting unstarted, outside, since 1993, but MAN did all the bolts come loose beautifully. Motor is also amazingly clean inside, even the exhaust system is (was- I Sawzall'd thru it) rock solid. Pontiac built a helluva machine in the 60s.

389? Did somoene say 389?

All I could think of when someone says 389 is this:

Little GTO, you're really lookin' fine

Three deuces and a four-speed and a 389

Listen to her tachin' up now, listen to her why-ee-eye-ine

C'mon and turn it on, wind it up, blow it out GTO

WA-WA!!! 

wa, wa, wa, wa, wa, wa!

What housed that 389?

And in what will it be its future dwelling?

Stock ride height:

11903939_10206470706959028_5985669788951

Photoshopped lower:

11855621_10206470707039030_9156415761359

Result: I bought lowering springs. 

You and Balthazar....

I respect mucho...because you guys are the real deal...when it comes to cars!!!

• Agree 1

389 is out of a '64 Catalina. The whole car is coming apart this fall, save what's sellable, scrap the rest. It's no longer worth a resto, besides it's a 4-dr sedan. I sure enjoyed it as a daily driver when it was up & running, tho.

I've had 8 full-size '60s Pontiacs to date: 60, 64, 64, 64, 65, 65, 65, 66.

I also have a 389 out of one of the '65s left… or is it two 389s? Very good motor.

• Agree 1

389 is out of a '64 Catalina. The whole car is coming apart this fall, save what's sellable, scrap the rest. It's no longer worth a resto, besides it's a 4-dr sedan. I sure enjoyed it as a daily driver when it was up & running, tho.

I've had 8 full-size '60s Pontiacs to date: 60, 64, 64, 64, 65, 65, 65, 66.

I also have a 389 out of one of the '65s left… or is it two 389s? Very good motor.

Awesome!

I once wanted to buy a 1959 Chevy Impala 2 door sedan, but my daddy did not let me. :(

So I used his stupid 1986 Chevy Celebrity instead. :fiery:   And in hindsight...its more like this emoticon... :hissyfit:

That is as close as I got to own real American iron!!!

If money was no object, I would do what a group of GM engineers did to this lovely 1988 Monte Carlo SS. Original power plant was a LS3 180HP mated with a 4 speed transmission. They installed a LS376/525 Connect & Cruise system which included a T56 6 speed manual transmission.  Nice bump from 180HP to 525HP. :D

post-12-0-16965300-1440166168_thumb.jpg

The full story of the car and the awesome crate engine / transmission package is found here.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/fuel-newsletter/2014/issue3.html

• Agree 1

If money was no object, I would do what a group of GM engineers did to this lovely 1988 Monte Carlo SS. Original power plant was a LS3 180HP mated with a 4 speed transmission. They installed a LS376/525 Connect & Cruise system which included a T56 6 speed manual transmission.  Nice bump from 180HP to 525HP. :D

attachicon.gif2014 Custom Monte Carlo with Engine kit.jpg

The full story of the car and the awesome crate engine / transmission package is found here.

If money wasn't an issue I'd put a 4.6 from a 99-04 Mustang GT in my first car('95 Beretta Z26). And I'd put a 4.6 from a 99-01 cobra(or 03-04 Mac 1) in my 3rd car('03 Focus SVT), and I'd put a 4.6 from an '03-'04 Cobra in my Escape. I'd just have 4.6 mod motors EVERYWHERE!! Fck it, I'd even buy a brand new Mustang and swap in an '03-'04 Cobra 4.6 and up the power some.. Now that would be a unique build.

Damn fine ride they have there. One of the few cars from the 80's that's still worth a damn IMO (a close second behind the GNX)..

I really just want something a bit more up to date for my Toronado (if I had the money). No need for 500+ horsepower.  Swift and silent... a mild Turbo-6 would be fine. 

• Agree 1

It's gonna be daunting building a set of high performance/endurance bicycle wheels this fall.

Then again, the price of the wheels I'm building in materials and parts alone costs $800 retail.... I'm paying about half for those same things.

but dang it's supposed to be the best of the best wheel build combos. More on that as I start the build. Rims and Hubs are at the shop or at home and now I'm just deciding on the best spokes and spoke nipples. Prolly get DT Swiss stuff. 

Again, bicycle wheels. It's ridiculous but at the same time understandable how much good ones cost. But the best ones or the best parts are made in the same kind of way McLarens and Ferraris are made. For example, King R45 hubs rely on spoke tension to deliver the right preload on their bearings. You can ruin the bearings by turning the hub before it's laced. It's that kind of overengineering that a wealthy doctor/lawyer/engineer/entrepreneur can salivate at in a sales pitch.

A set of good tubular race wheels. An easy $3000 to start. And people buy those things; at a rate I do not understand, even though I've been in the cycling industry for a few years now.

Saw/heard my first Hellcat. Fck. Irrationally stoked.

It's even better when you are behind the wheel.

I couldn't imagine having 707hp at my disposal. It's gotta be such a rush. I mean in town or even up to 60mph where it'll just light them up is super gnarly n all but I couldn't imagine being in a vehicle that size at 100mph and having it still pull like a son of a bitch.

I recently "liked" a Chears and Gears post about a poster "liking" an extremely relevant page on Facebook about damaged Toyota products...because:

1. post was funny.

2. poster shares same sentiment about Toyota products as me.

HA me too!

Minus the Tacoma.. That has some real staying power/equity in its name. It's earned it.. imo.

I really just want something a bit more up to date for my Toronado (if I had the money). No need for 500+ horsepower.  Swift and silent... a mild Turbo-6 would be fine. 

That Monte Carlo is way overkill on an astronomical budget. If I had a resto car like that, I'd get a modern port-injected 5.3L from a junkyard because they're inexpensive and can be found anywhere. Couple of mods and it would make 330-350 hp.

Talked to the conversion department at EV West

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=lovusud1cnut5f29dhbq3serb4

They were telling me about some conversions on 1970's era full size sedans and station wagons. Enough room underneath to have a battery pack with a 200 to 300 mile range and you can put in just about any electric motor you want.

I was thinking the Siamese Warp 11 would do nicely in your Toronado. Totally silent, 1000lb ft of torque even comes with the transmission so it just connects to your driveline.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=213&osCsid=lovusud1cnut5f29dhbq3serb4

post-12-0-14682800-1440469064_thumb.jpg

You could have a silent Sleeper that really would leave all others caught up in your Toronado of destruction! :metal:

That Monte Carlo is way overkill on an astronomical budget. If I had a resto car like that, I'd get a modern port-injected 5.3L from a junkyard because they're inexpensive and can be found anywhere. Couple of mods and it would make 330-350 hp.

If I was doing a G-Body resto-mod...

- Id go with a TT 3.6 LF3  for the  Regal ....Id get the engine from a crashed CTS V-Sport and install it in the Buick...you know...Turbo 6 connection...

-  Grand-Prix would be a 6.0 LS2  @ 400HP/400 ft.lbs torque from a Pontiac GTO...because Pontiac...

-  Monte Carlo would get the 5.3 liter...like we said about a Camaro...for 327 cubic inch nostalgia purposes and Chevrolet

-  Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme would be getting an LS3...from a wrecked Pontiac G8 or Chevrolet SS or 2008 Corvette...

I wouldnt want more than the 400 or so horsepower with all these engines I chose.

Actually...Id be more than happy with your choice of the 5.3 @ 330-350 horsepower range you chose...

I chose those engines for some sort of connection I made with history and such...

These are my restomod G-Body models.

1987/1988 Chevy Monte Carlo LS

88-monte-carlo-ls-576.jpg?2c6fbd

1981 Grand Prix LJ

12941534843_9a39589f4d.jpg

1987 442

6ff461b4be0f9f11d7fa3f50c8882567.jpg

and/or

1983 Hurst/Olds

tumblr_nlg4m67PAc1qccpvoo1_500.jpg

1987 GN GNX

1987-Buick-GNX-Sale-0.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Lovely Cars you choose there.

I understand everyone wanting the nastalgic V8 thing, but I have to give KUDOs to GM for their Performance Crate Motors with Auto or Manual 6 sp Transmissions. True Plug N Play! :P

No way I'd put an LS motor in the Pontiac, Olds, or Buick.  The Pontiac would get a Pontiac 400, the Olds an Olds 455, and the Buick GNX was already QUITE potent with its Buick V6.  The Monte Carlo would receive a proper modern smallblock.

It always bugged me that the Monte Carlo SS didn't get the TPI 350, or at least the TPI 305/5 speed combo. 

Totally agree with you, the car should have had more than the wimpy 305 only. But still loved the body especially the aero model.

That was my favorite in their burgundy color.

post-12-0-65359500-1440513800_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-03635000-1440513812_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-21738000-1440513841_thumb.jpg

Minus the Tacoma.. That has some real staying power/equity in its name. It's earned it.. imo.

I dunno : the factory buy-back & crushing of like 6 years of Tacoma production is tough to forget.

I don't recall.. Got some deets on it? (I honestly never really looked much into Tacomas till about a year and a half ago when my dad was truck shopping so forgive my ignorance)

Either way, understandable. Everything hits everybody in a different way, rubs them the wrong way..

It always bugged me that the Monte Carlo SS didn't get the TPI 350, or at least the TPI 305/5 speed combo. 

Totally agree with you, the car should have had more than the wimpy 305 only. But still loved the body especially the aero model.

That was my favorite in their burgundy color.

attachicon.gifMonteCarloAero.jpg

attachicon.gif1986MonteCarloAreoCoupe.jpg

attachicon.gifWhiteSS.jpg

Yes, they got the exterior just right.  Had a teacher who had a Monte SS in school (maybe aging myself here lol), absolutely loved those cars

I found some pictures of my C350 when I had her. First pic everything is factory. Then I changed the grill and hood emblem and had it tinted 20% all the way around. And the last picture of the 700+ miles was one day of driving where I intended to buy a Mach 1 in Iowa and the dealer straight up lied about the condition and it being all bone stock. It had exhaust and rock chips EVERYWHERE. like, even rear deck lid kind of everywhere. Then I ended up buying the Mach 1 that I did from Kentucky. In fantastic condition.

Oh and just a couple that I thought looked cool. One next to my gf's G and another near a Raptor at my gym.

post-13318-0-86023300-1440560480_thumb.j

post-13318-0-91334800-1440560530_thumb.j

post-13318-0-54848000-1440560549_thumb.j

post-13318-0-45834000-1440560561_thumb.j

post-13318-0-12622000-1440560582_thumb.j

post-13318-0-81975900-1440560610_thumb.j

q2t9m.jpg

If I was doing a G-Body resto-mod...
 - Id go with a TT 3.6 LF3  for the  Regal ....Id get the engine from a crashed CTS V-Sport and install it in the Buick...you know...Turbo 6 connection...

-  Grand-Prix would be a 6.0 LS2  @ 400HP/400 ft.lbs torque from a Pontiac GTO...because Pontiac...

-  Monte Carlo would get the 5.3 liter...like we said about a Camaro...for 327 cubic inch nostalgia purposes and Chevrolet

-  Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme would be getting an LS3...from a wrecked Pontiac G8 or Chevrolet SS or 2008 Corvette...

I wouldnt want more than the 400 or so horsepower with all these engines I chose.
Actually...Id be more than happy with your choice of the 5.3 @ 330-350 horsepower range you chose...
I chose those engines for some sort of connection I made with history and such...

These are my restomod G-Body models.

1987/1988 Chevy Monte Carlo LS
88-monte-carlo-ls-576.jpg?2c6fbd

1981 Grand Prix LJ
12941534843_9a39589f4d.jpg

1987 442
6ff461b4be0f9f11d7fa3f50c8882567.jpg

and/or

1983 Hurst/Olds
tumblr_nlg4m67PAc1qccpvoo1_500.jpg

1987 GN GNX
1987-Buick-GNX-Sale-0.jpg