Random Thoughts Thread

On 3/17/2020 at 7:22 PM, balthazar said:

The big Monster cans are 300 also.

Correcting the record: 16-oz Monsters are 150 mg/can. I thought the "150" was per serving, but it's per can.
They should bump that up. :D

So my daily caffeine intake is usually 84 + 150 = a mere 234.

50 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Correcting the record: 16-oz Monsters are 150 mg/can. I thought the "150" was per serving, but it's per can.

how do you stay awake

16 hours ago, dfelt said:

Does not seem to say and have not seen any clear statement but the increase in industry emissions seems to indicate that factories are getting back up and running which would imply people are moving about, going back to work it would seem.

Seems too soon.  I wouldn't know.  As they say, "haste makes waste."

15 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Anybody else eating ramen and drinking instant coffee, while huddled at home afraid of the virus? (me right now)

I live in a very quiet neighborhood that has always been almost too quiet.  Somehow, it feels even quieter.

Same idea, different foods - oatmeal every morning and many cups of tea - I've also lost about 5 pounds since I haven't eaten my usual junk food that I buy at check-out.

15 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Anybody else eating ramen and drinking instant coffee, while huddled at home afraid of the virus? (me right now)

I have Ramen as a fast meal back up but still taking time to cook. Love fresh food. Missing my daily workout at 24hr fitness. 😭

Pesto Alfredo pasta with veggies

PestoAlfredoPastawVeggies.jpg

Chapagetti with beef bites

Chapagetti-with-beef.jpg

Home made Cinnamon rolls

CinnamonRolls.jpg

Harvested the last of my winter Leeks and made Leek soup.

LeekSoup.jpg

Love Grilled Sandwiches, so using Potato bread and only butter, mayo sucks to grill a sandwich and gives a weird taste/texture.

Pepperoni and Havarti grilled cheese. :P 

Pepperoni-with-Havarti-GrilledCheese.jpg

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Or start buying the 24 oz Monster with the screw top. :P  Increased caffeine. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I have Ramen as a fast meal back up but still taking time to cook. Love fresh food. Missing my daily workout at 24hr fitness. 😭

Pesto Alfredo pasta with veggies

Is the 24 Hr. Fitness in a shopping center, with an exterior entrance on the first level, next to quaint downtown Kirkland still there?

Yep, LA Fitness branches are closed as well.  

As for food,  being able to eat at Denny's - which I don't knock to begin with - might be like sleeping at the Waldorf Astoria.

• Haha 1

So while large parts of the country are locked down, buddies of mine from high school are posting pics from an afternoon out golfing in Florida.  Florida seems to be a bit behind the curve on pandemic response...

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

So while large parts of the country are locked down, buddies of mine from high school are posting pics from an afternoon out golfing in Florida. 

Seeing something like this might have sent them scrambling home ...

o-ALLIGATOR-ON-GOLF-COURSE-facebook.jpg

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

So while large parts of the country are locked down, buddies of mine from high school are posting pics from an afternoon out golfing in Florida.  Florida seems to be a bit behind the curve on pandemic response...

Yes that is true.  Beaches around the state were open as late as this past Thursday.  Spring Break has now been officially canceled.

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

what is it

Three guesses and the first two don't count.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Yes that is true.  Beaches around the state were open as late as this past Thursday.  Spring Break has now been officially canceled.

Depending on their academic calendar, some colleges and universities have their spring breaks during different weeks: two weeks ago, this last week, and this upcoming week.  I didn't figure this out until recently.  It probably helps the lodging and restaurant industry handle the load.  And have enough cars at the rental agencies. 

Who'd rent cars to most of these brats, anyway? 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Three guesses and the first two don't count.

Depending on their academic calendar, some colleges and universities have their spring breaks during different weeks: two weeks ago, this last week, and this upcoming week.  I didn't figure this out until recently.  It probably helps the lodging and restaurant industry handle the load.  And have enough cars at the rental agencies. 

Who'd rent cars to most of these brats, anyway? 

Rental car companies charge a surcharge for those under 21.  It has been that way for at least 25 years or so.

Colleges and Universities have closed campuses and sent everyone back home.  As I said, Spring Break has (mostly) been cancelled because of the virus.  SOME people are still partying however.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 11:48 AM, trinacriabob said:

Is the 24 Hr. Fitness in a shopping center, with an exterior entrance on the first level, next to quaint downtown Kirkland still there?

Yep, LA Fitness branches are closed as well.  

As for food,  being able to eat at Denny's - which I don't knock to begin with - might be like sleeping at the Waldorf Astoria.

Huge Reconstruction project is rebuilding that whole complex and so all the stores, businesses and yes the 24hr fitness in that compex of downtown Kirkland are gone.  That was the Parkplace compex. https://www.kirklandwa.gov/depart/planning/Development_Info/projects/Parkplace.htm

Map of that area of what is being built there now.

image.png

On 3/21/2020 at 2:26 PM, Robert Hall said:

All the IDIOT College kids got a stern response from our Companies founder, CEO and Chairman. Do not apply to us, we do not want irresponsible employees like you. I am so behind his message and their lack of responsibility during this pandemic.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/michael-dell-to-spring-break-video-coronavirus-partiers-dont-apply.html

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

what is it

Your new Golf Cart.

image.png

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 11:41 AM, trinacriabob said:

I live in a very quiet neighborhood that has always been almost too quiet.  Somehow, it feels even quieter.

Same idea, different foods - oatmeal every morning and many cups of tea - I've also lost about 5 pounds since I haven't eaten my usual junk food that I buy at check-out.

My neighborhood is super quiet.  A fair number of retirees I think.   I stocked up a lot at the grocery a week ago and still get deliveries from Amazon and the grocery, along w/ the occasional Doordash order.  Really no different from this past winter except for not eating out and fewer trips to the grocery.    

• Agree 1

This is a great spot to check if you want to follow the count of infections, death, recoveries by country around the world. Clearly Coronavirus has surpassed SARS / MARS and is right behind the Spanish FLU, which is not what is truly is called but due to multitude of reasons is truly known in the medical community as 1918 influenza pandemic.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

SnapShot for you all:

image.png

image.png

Much more info on the site, interesting how China has stopped reporting new cases as they say they do not have them among their own population from from those that traveled to their country and as such they do not claim them to be cases in China. Bizarre 

• Thanks 1

^ That's the one I linked to earlier in this thread (page 552).

John Hopkins' face page, for some reason, seemed to think separating the tallies into numerical lists & disregarding location somehow made sense. In a 'shut down' scenario, I want to know, first, what's happening in my area. I do not care how my area ranks globally in 'new cases', for example.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Went to Costco today, good social distancing, they got this down as you get a sanitized cart or flatbed upon being let in. Clear signage of what is and is not available.

All good and well, but you still have to leave the house to go to Costco.  My local grocery does home delivery and curbside delivery, I'm going to utilize home delivery from them (and Amazon/Whole Foods) as long as it's available and avoid being out in public..

Another good resource is Microsoft's Bing COVID-19 page..

https://www.bing.com/covid

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

^ That's the one I linked to earlier in this thread (page 552).

John Hopkins' face page, for some reason, seemed to think separating the tallies into numerical lists & disregarding location somehow made sense. In a 'shut down' scenario, I want to know, first, what's happening in my area. I do not care how my area ranks globally in 'new cases', for example.

Yes it is, while I like the John Hopkins site for the Medical Info, I have really enjoyed the link you shared with the base fact numbers they present. Thank you,

War Time rules, GM, Ford and Tesla given green light to make Ventilators and medical supplies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-ford-gm-tesla-given-ok-to-produce-ventilators/ar-BB11xm9r

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

This is a great spot to check if you want to follow the count of infections, death, recoveries by country around the world. Clearly Coronavirus has surpassed SARS / MARS and is right behind the Spanish FLU, which is not what is truly is called but due to multitude of reasons is truly known in the medical community as 1918 influenza pandemic.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

SnapShot for you all:

image.png

image.png

Much more info on the site, interesting how China has stopped reporting new cases as they say they do not have them among their own population from from those that traveled to their country and as such they do not claim them to be cases in China. Bizarre 

Thanks for the link.  As big and populous as China is, for it to zero out makes no sense.  I can accept that cases have plummeted and recoveries are up.

What about those closed cases - Isn't there some criteria about how many negative tests a patient has to get within a certain time frame to be deemed recovered?  is there a way to test for antibodies (blood work) on someone who has had it?  That would be cumbersome.  Do these people who have recovered have immunity?

All cruise ships are either being detained offshore or heading to their home ports.  This is weird since noroviruses have messed up various ocean voyages over the years, but they seem to be specific to a particular voyage.

All the talk is confusing.  You'll see an article where a young person says it's the worst.  Then you'll see an article where a middle aged person says they've had worse influenzas before. A person doesn't know what to think.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

All the talk is confusing.  You'll see an article where a young person says it's the worst.  Then you'll see an article where a middle aged person says they've had worse influenzas before. A person doesn't know what to think.

I couldn't agree more. I genuinely do not know what to believe about it. 

@trinacriabob @ccap41 I will say that with my own medical school background, having a sister who is an RN on the front lines as well as her best friend and as of this morning they are dealing with in home care of multiple seniors who have Covid-19. It is NOT something to take lightly. Also it is not less than the 1918 Influenza that killed 150 million world wide. We are at the start of a Global Pandemic that could match the 1918 death count if we do not use common sense.

With 15,430 according to JHMC site or 15,419 from the world meter site either way we look at this, we are at the beginning of a reduction in population. It is sadly hardest on seniors with reduced immune system and men who smoke / drink heavy reducing their health.

The important thing to take away from this is that we CAN SURVIVE it by doing the common sense things of cleaning surfaces, washing hands, coughing into your own shirt of a napkin so that we do not spew water vapor droplets out and about.

Those that have healthy immune systems can survive just fine by also remembering to not touch your face, nose, mouth, eyes and ears. Yes all places that can allow the virus to get into your body.

Strong personal hygiene along with just being aware of those around you can go a long way to keeping you virus free and safe. Being cautious is fine, but cabin fever as the spring weather gets nicer can drive one nuts if you do not get outside and at least go for a walk and be aware of those around you.

Be safe, be clean and be alert and we will all get through this together.

• Agree 2

On a lighter note, anybody watch any of the iRacing events held by NASCAR or F1 this weekend? 

I randomly came across the iRacing NASCAR event and it was actually really awesome and entertaining. It wasn't 100% the Cup Series field but they had 30-something drivers all at home with their own simulator rigs setup. There were plenty of big names like Earnhardt Jr, Jimmie Johnson, Denny Hamlin, Clint Boyer, and many others. A lot of them had cameras setup on them at home so the announcers(like a regular race) could talk to them. Some of them even had their crew chiefs and spotters on their headset with them. One driver actually picked up a sponsorship FOR the event. 

The racing itself was surprisingly really good(minus all of the cautions but that's entertaining as well). The iRacing program is supposedly extremely realistic with damage, tire wear, fuel consumption, weather conditions, etc. 

I haven't watched the F1 race yet. I'm not sure if their coverage was as good as the NASCAR event but I'll check it out some time today. Here's the link if you did want to watch it. 

I watched a little Barcelona Grand Prix 24 hour race on iRacing, it was kind of cool.

Actually, I decided to give iRacing a try, got subscription for one month (under $7 only).  I have a wheel setup and played a little on PS4 Project Cars but it is hard to get access to Playstation when my son wants to play his games, especially now. :)  

Checked my computer and it is good enough for the game so downloaded it.  Trying to figure the game out, so far only played few test practices yesterday.

Edited by ykX
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I mean, i get all of that and I think we've all heard that dozens of times already. It's the line @trinacriabob said that we're talking about... 

I guess being in the thick of things from both a Big Data storage point in the medical info point and with my background and talking to my sister daily and hearing what is being done and how they are being as protective as possible, I do not see what is so confusing about the facts of we are dealing with a Virus, cleanliness is important, social distancing is important, minimize contact with others at this point till we better understand this virus and the best way to attack it with drugs to help those that are more susceptible to being killed by it.

Safety of mingling with family and friends that you feel comfortable around, safe with their personal hygiene and knowing who is and who is not sick is fine as long as people are aware. Using common sense and being alert to those that might be sick rather than just allergies from the spring start up.

Example of this is my wife stays home right now as she has bad allergies and sneezes and her nose runs. Yes she takes Zyrtec D to help dry up and control her allergies, but anyone that is allergic to grass, trees, pollen, etc. can understand how the nose runs and the sneezing. Not sick, just allergies, as such so that others do not freak out, she chooses to stay home having me run the shopping to keep things going.

I also for the safety of my senior parents who do have medical conditions, do their shopping and drop it off at the front door, then back off and have my mom get the stuff. Just being safe, even though I would love to hug them and give them a kiss on the cheek, just being vigilant in safety at this time for them and everyone else.

Just trying to do my part and help others in this time of pandemic craziness.

Wishing everyone else a great Monday and start of the week.

In other news, have not watched any races as I was out in the yard working to get my garden going.

I did find this fascinating as it was considered to be unique, not one of the first Hybrid auto's, but one of the first on 6 Wheels, YUP 6 WHEELS. Built on the Heels of the 1979 oil embargo and Jay Leno's Garage got them to take it out on the road for the first time since 1988.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1127540_this-american-hybrid-concept-faced-spiking-gas-prices-with-six-wheels

Briggs and Stratton built this 6 wheel hybrid.

image.png

The Hybrid was actually quite advanced—and sophisticated looking—for its time. The vehicle has a parallel drive system, allowing the driver to manually select whether the vehicle is physically powered by the gasoline engine, the electric motor, or both. It could go up to 60 miles, fully electric, at 40 mpg or less in EV mode, with nearly 1,000 pounds of lead-acid batteries and an 8-hp electric motor. 

image.png

Very cool tech as the ICE motor was an 18hp, 694 CC 2 cylinder Air cooled engine with a 4sp manual transmission running on a 72 volt power system with regenerative braking. very advanced for the time considering it was 40 years ago. 3,200 lbs vehicle weight, 68 mph top speed and 30 mpg fuel efficiency.

@dwightlooi What are your thoughts on this 1980 Hybrid Auto?

• Agree 2

What tends to be confusing is the different projections when no one really knows.
NY gov came out & said "40-80% could get infected". That's not remotely a scientific statement, but a mathmatical calculation. Unfortunately, this virus is nowhere near that simple; a glance at the per capita infection rates across the globe tell that plainly.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 2:48 PM, riviera74 said:

Rental car companies charge a surcharge for those under 21.  It has been that way for at least 25 years or so.

The rental agencies seem to have a "floor age" of 25 for normal rates, because some ask that when you book on-line.  I'm thinking there might be a 21-24 rental rate, and an even steeper under 21 rate. 

I'm trying to remember how old I was when I rented my first car.  It might have been 20, but it was a local rental while the car was being repaired.  I know for sure that I had 2 "interesting" rentals when I was 23 and 24.  The first one, at 23, was taking a Lincoln Town Car from White Plains NY to JFK because my boss had flown out a day or two before me.  Driving a huge car like that with no road feel whatsoever on "the Hutch" and the Van Wyck Expressway next to the center guard rail was stressful for a "kid" with some zits still left on his face.  When I was 24, National handed me the keys to a decked out Olds and I drove it around for a week between NYC (including Manhattan) and Washington DC (near the Capital Mall).  It was unnerving because, in the West, freeways are big and ramps are long.  I sighed with relief when I uneventfully drove it over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, on the Belt Parkway around the perimeter of Brooklyn and into Queens, and, again, finally dropped it off at JFK. 

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.46.22 PM.png

This looks like a '76.  Very nice.  I preferred the base version or the Esprit more than the flashier ones, as long as the base or Esprit had rally wheels.  Regardless, I liked every generation of Firebird more so than the equivalent Camaro.

Edited by trinacriabob

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm sure it varies by company & location, but my impression was that you could NOT rent a car if you were under 25; the major companies just wouldn't do it.

They would, but they charge extra.  I had to rent a car a few times before turning 25 and there was always a surcharge.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:17 PM, dfelt said:

Supposedly Ford and GM are in talks with the White House on helping to build Ventilators for the Hospitals and world to help Coronavirus patients.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-ford-gm-could-build-ventilators/

GM just announced that they will be building them with Ventec in partnership. Tesla said they could help with PPE if needed. Good stuff! :unitedstates:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/03/gm-to-help-boost-ventec-respirator-production-in-fight-against-covid-19/

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

What tends to be confusing is the different projections when no one really knows.
NY gov came out & said "40-80% could get infected". That's not remotely a scientific statement, but a mathmatical calculation. Unfortunately, this virus is nowhere near that simple; a glance at the per capita infection rates across the globe tell that plainly.

This Chinese Coronavirus has a very high recovery rate in the US right now, which is obviously a good thing. My neighbor who's a doc for VA Hospital here in Phoenix (healthy mid 50's) is sure he got it three weeks ago and self quarantined at home no test was available then, had up and down fever spikes with cough and headache like common flu but uncommon fever spikes which is key symptom of COVID-19. Creepy bug that's for sure. It's mutating very fast as well. Per Johns Hopkins University it originally was only animal to animal transmission but mutated to have ability to go from animal to human then within 2 to 3 weeks mutated again to be able to transmit from human to human and it's in two different strains now so our bodies immune systems have never "seen" it or had to fight it. Now sounds like Spain is going to pass us for 3rd most cases, they just had major jump in cases. Our current Admin. jumped on cutting direct U.S. travel from China by February 2nd which did help cut direct transmission from travelers coming from China, contrary to the haters out there.  

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus

• Agree 1

Spain did have a big jump in confirmed; 6300, but the US had a bigger one: 10,100.
These numbers are not virus transmissions, but confirmation of having it. Infected numbers in all cases are higher.

Still, Spain has 751 cases / million people, the U.S. has 132.
But Spain's population is only 46 million. Does that at all mean the U.S. will grow to 750 cases/million? No.
Spain 91 people /square kilometer, the U.S. is only 36/sq kilometer.

So many variables it's really tough to make any comparisons.

• Agree 2

Spain 91 people /square kilometer, the U.S. is only 36/sq kilometer.

So many variables it's really tough to make any comparisons.

Yup....so many variables indeed.

Congested cities like NYC and its boroughs will differ with the transmissions risks than say...I dont know...Saskatoon Saskatchewan. Or Chibougamau Quebec.  

Chibougamau, Quebec

Image result for Chibougamau Quebec

The point I wanna make to compliment Balthy's is that the US and Canada have MANY wide open spaces, other than the big cities, so...maybe calculating infected per square inch on a country scale for Canada and the US might not be an accurate one. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1