William Maley

VW News: Volkswagen Board Member Says It Would Be "Suicide" For Skoda To Enter U.S.

41 posts in this topic

William Maley    410

As we have been reporting since this summer, Skoda is putting serious consideration into entering the U.S. market. Currently, a decision is expected sometime next year. But ask their parent company, Volkswagen what they think of the idea of Skoda entering the U.S. and they would likely say something to the effect of this,

“We may be crazy, but we’re not mad. Entering this huge market with an unknown brand, a model range focused on Europe, and a non-existent dealer network is pure suicide. Furthermore, the last thing Volkswagen of America needs now is in-house cannibalization,” said an unnamed Volkswagen board member to Automobile Magazine.

Without having any support from the parent company, Skoda's plan of entering the U.S. seems dead in the water. Whether this happens or not remains to be seen.

There is one other interesting tidbit from Automobile Magazine. Reportedly, Volkswagen was considering replacing certain models in U.S. with slightly restyled Skoda vehicles badged as VWs. This idea was scrapped however which is a shame since we could see the likes of the Superb being an excellent replacement for the current Passat as an example.

Source: Automobile Magazine


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfelt    1,872
38 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Skoda does not have the baggage VW does, this might actually make sense...

Agree with this, right now VW name is MUD to most consumers and except for hard core fans, their current product line up is not winning any conquest buyers and they are currently I bet loosing existing ones over Dieselgate!

Depending on what they do in the next 12-18 months, they just might need to replace the VW dealers as rebadged Skoda Dealers or at least add Skoda specific models to the VW dealers. Have both in the same place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Agree with this, right now VW name is MUD to most consumers and except for hard core fans, their current product line up is not winning any conquest buyers and they are currently I bet loosing existing ones over Dieselgate!

Depending on what they do in the next 12-18 months, they just might need to replace the VW dealers as rebadged Skoda Dealers or at least add Skoda specific models to the VW dealers. Have both in the same place.

Or at least some sort of rational recovery plan in place...VW reminds me of Air France 447, where the pilots through simple errors took a perfectly flyable plane and made basic aviation errors, killing everyone on board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

VW is not even making basic changes that would rationally ensure their survival. I really love the Golf Alltrack, but one model plus the GTI is not enough to carry the US market.

Local dealer where I bought the Jetta was down 25-30 cars a month over where they were ten or fifteen years ago before diesel gate, things have obviously not improved since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frisky Dingo    635
12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Agree with this, right now VW name is MUD to most consumers and except for hard core fans, their current product line up is not winning any conquest buyers and they are currently I bet loosing existing ones over Dieselgate!

Depending on what they do in the next 12-18 months, they just might need to replace the VW dealers as rebadged Skoda Dealers or at least add Skoda specific models to the VW dealers. Have both in the same place.

 

This absolutely totally untrue, and you have nothing to back it up. VW sales are UP, and that is with existing models netting sales gains. With new products about to drop in the coming months- and in critical segments- they will only continue to see growth. VW isn't closing up shop and suggesting they do so is absurd.

 

Bringing Skoda here was only going to happen as a last resort if VW had to exit the US market. That is obviously not going to happen. Skoda cannot coexist with VW here. There would be far too much overlap. VW is already hampered by VAG not wanting to step on Audi's toes. Throwing another brand into the mix would be disastrous. Especially one with no equity among US buyers. 

VW just needs to stay the course and focus on marketing their current models and continuing to bring new products to market. The TDI deal will soon be water under the bridge, and though they may have burnt some of their loyal buyers, and lost some sales due to lack of TDi offerings, it is totally possible to bounce back from this. Hell, look at Toyota and GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

 

This absolutely totally untrue, and you have nothing to back it up. VW sales are UP, and that is with existing models netting sales gains. With new products about to drop in the coming months- and in critical segments- they will only continue to see growth. VW isn't closing up shop and suggesting they do so is absurd.

 

Bringing Skoda here was only going to happen as a last resort if VW had to exit the US market. That is obviously not going to happen. Skoda cannot coexist with VW here. There would be far too much overlap. VW is already hampered by VAG not wanting to step on Audi's toes. Throwing another brand into the mix would be disastrous. Especially one with no equity among US buyers. 

VW just needs to stay the course and focus on marketing their current models and continuing to bring new products to market. The TDI deal will soon be water under the bridge, and though they may have burnt some of their loyal buyers, and lost some sales due to lack of TDi offerings, it is totally possible to bounce back from this. Hell, look at Toyota and GM.

They are also not currently selling small crossovers, the whole SUV lineup is dated and unappealing, they have clung to the beetle and CC far to long, and they are selling cars at fire sale prices.

While I do not expect them to die tomorrow, they are by no means doing what they should to pull ahead in the US auto market.

They are still thinking too much like Germans, and trying to force a German way of thinking on the US auto market.  They need to act like they are serious about the US auto market if they are going to make a dent.

Yes, sales are up, but up over a year ago when we were two months past diesel gate...

Really serious work and a change in attitude need to happen at VW if they ever want to be more than one or two percent of the domestic US auto market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frisky Dingo    635
Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

They are also not currently selling small crossovers, the whole SUV lineup is dated and unappealing, they have clung to the beetle and CC far to long, and they are selling cars at fire sale prices.

While I do not expect them to die tomorrow, they are by no means doing what they should to pull ahead in the US auto market.

They are still thinking too much like Germans, and trying to force a German way of thinking on the US auto market.  They need to act like they are serious about the US auto market if they are going to make a dent.

Yes, sales are up, but up over a year ago when we were two months past diesel gate...

Really serious work and a change in attitude need to happen at VW if they ever want to be more than one or two percent of the domestic US auto market.

Despite being the oldest CUV on the market, the Tiguan is actually a competitive product and is still selling well. And it's replacement will be here within 6 months. That is in addition to the Atlas. The CC makes up a fraction of VW sales, and is not vital to the brand's sales numbers. It is getting a replacement sometime next year, anyway. The Beetle is a niche product that will never do large numbers. There will continue to be special models here and there. The Beetle is nothing but a money maker at this point. It costs very little to build them. It doesn't need huge sales numbers. Passat numbers are up, GTI and Golf R sales numbers continue to increase, and Golf SportWagen sales are increasing, too.

In addition to the Tiguan and Atlas, the E Golf is on the way, there will be a smaller CUV to slot below the new Tiguan, and the Jetta and Passat are both due for replacement in the near future. If VW continues with their plans moving forward, they will be fine. A new van in the vein of the Bus would really be a wise move that would bolster sales, as well. Something is in the works, but Idk how close it is, or exactly what form it will take. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Despite being the oldest CUV on the market, the Tiguan is actually a competitive product and is still selling well. And it's replacement will be here within 6 months. That is in addition to the Atlas. The CC makes up a fraction of VW sales, and is not vital to the brand's sales numbers. It is getting a replacement sometime next year, anyway. The Beetle is a niche product that will never do large numbers. There will continue to be special models here and there. The Beetle is nothing but a money maker at this point. It costs very little to build them. It doesn't need huge sales numbers. Passat numbers are up, GTI and Golf R sales numbers continue to increase, and Golf SportWagen sales are increasing, too.

In addition to the Tiguan and Atlas, the E Golf is on the way, there will be a smaller CUV to slot below the new Tiguan, and the Jetta and Passat are both due for replacement in the near future. If VW continues with their plans moving forward, they will be fine. A new van in the vein of the Bus would really be a wise move that would bolster sales, as well. Something is in the works, but Idk how close it is, or exactly what form it will take. 

Do you sell VW's at work?

E golf has technical issues, would find VW battery tech suspect.

I hope like crazy VW survives, I love their products. One positive is that they are not at this time offering zero percent to move iron...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfelt    1,872

Sales might indicate up against last year, but off from before that. At least here in Washington state VW is hurting compared to what they did before. Every auto has zero down, zero first month payment and .9% interest for 60 months when you look at specials via www.vw.com. 0% for 60 months on Golf and Tiguan. Yet then if you go out to the local dealer web sites, it gets even more interesting with thousands off each model, oil changes for life, maintenance covered free during warranty period. 

I get the feeling that VW is hurting far more than the sales numbers indicate. Talking to people about what they think, one does not get a rosey feeling when you ask a person, "What do you think of VW auto's?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Dear FCA,

Take note.

Sincerely, Everybody

Thank you, captain obvious.....! 

(Not meant with the sound of sarcasm that reads with.....but FCA is not just neglecting new product they are actively working towards their own demise....)

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frisky Dingo    635
2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Sales might indicate up against last year, but off from before that. At least here in Washington state VW is hurting compared to what they did before. Every auto has zero down, zero first month payment and .9% interest for 60 months when you look at specials via www.vw.com. 0% for 60 months on Golf and Tiguan. Yet then if you go out to the local dealer web sites, it gets even more interesting with thousands off each model, oil changes for life, maintenance covered free during warranty period. 

I get the feeling that VW is hurting far more than the sales numbers indicate. Talking to people about what they think, one does not get a rosey feeling when you ask a person, "What do you think of VW auto's?"

 

Well, considering there are no TDI's to sell, of course the numbers are going to be down from before Dieselgate. That's obvious.

Incentives are strong across the entire market, that's nothing new or anything to put much stock in.

Dealers the nation over, regardless of brand, advertise stupid prices everyday. You may or may not qualify for them. Again, nothing of merit there. 

It would seem a lot of people think they are worth buying seeing as in how they are still posting projected or increased sales in most of their models. What people may or may not think about a brand they may or may not ever have intentions to purchase from don't count for much. It'd be like me asking you what you thought about Ferrari. It doesn't matter, because you're not buying a Ferrari regardless of what your thoughts on them are. The blue collar Midwest worker who has a union job wasn't buying a VW anyway. What he thinks of the brand means about as much as what he thinks of evolution.

 

 

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Do you sell VW's at work?

E golf has technical issues, would find VW battery tech suspect.

I hope like crazy VW survives, I love their products. One positive is that they are not at this time offering zero percent to move iron...

 

I do now, yes. I went back to my old dealer. 

Incentives across the board at VW are really no heavier or lighter than usual. Some models are considerably less incentivized they have been in the recent past.

Edited by Frisky Dingo
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

 

Well, considering there are no TDI's to sell, of course the numbers are going to be down from before Dieselgate. That's obvious.

Incentives are strong across the entire market, that's nothing new or anything to put much stock in.

Dealers the nation over, regardless of brand, advertise stupid prices everyday. You may or may not qualify for them. Again, nothing of merit there. 

It would seem a lot of people think they are worth buying seeing as in how they are still posting projected or increased sales in most of their models. What people may or may not think about a brand they may or may not ever have intentions to purchase from don't count for much. It'd be like me asking you what you thought about Ferrari. It doesn't matter, because you're not buying a Ferrari regardless of what your thoughts on them are. The blue collar Midwest worker who has a union job wasn't buying a VW anyway. What he thinks of the brand means about as much as what he thinks of evolution.

An absolute metric crap ton of truth here....

2 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

 

Well, considering there are no TDI's to sell, of course the numbers are going to be down from before Dieselgate. That's obvious.

Incentives are strong across the entire market, that's nothing new or anything to put much stock in.

Dealers the nation over, regardless of brand, advertise stupid prices everyday. You may or may not qualify for them. Again, nothing of merit there. 

It would seem a lot of people think they are worth buying seeing as in how they are still posting projected or increased sales in most of their models. What people may or may not think about a brand they may or may not ever have intentions to purchase from don't count for much. It'd be like me asking you what you thought about Ferrari. It doesn't matter, because you're not buying a Ferrari regardless of what your thoughts on them are. The blue collar Midwest worker who has a union job wasn't buying a VW anyway. What he thinks of the brand means about as much as what he thinks of evolution.

 

 

 

I do now, yes. I went back to my old dealer. 

Incentives across the board at VW are really no heavier or lighter than usual. Some models are considerably less incentivized they have been in the recent past.

The guys at my local VW dealership actually seem a little bit encouraged.  I really, really hope the Sportwgon/Alltrack does well for them, would love to own them.

Powering the Alltrack with a TDI from the GTD  would be the best of all worlds, but we will never see that here....

GTI really is the best car under 30K in many ways....

Golf R is absolutely lust worthy also.  Last time I was in the VW dealership a very affluent lesbian couple was in the midst of purchasing one...seems like the R buyers are a very diverse lot, which is a good thing.

Be interesting to see what happens with the TDI buy back....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frisky Dingo    635
20 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

An absolute metric crap ton of truth here....

The guys at my local VW dealership actually seem a little bit encouraged.  I really, really hope the Sportwgon/Alltrack does well for them, would love to own them.

Powering the Alltrack with a TDI from the GTD  would be the best of all worlds, but we will never see that here....

GTI really is the best car under 30K in many ways....

Golf R is absolutely lust worthy also.  Last time I was in the VW dealership a very affluent lesbian couple was in the midst of purchasing one...seems like the R buyers are a very diverse lot, which is a good thing.

Be interesting to see what happens with the TDI buy back....

 

It is a more diverse buyer pool that buys GTI's and the like than I have ever seen. Everyone from young kids, to old retirees and everything in between. It's nuts, and also very cool.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

 

It is a more diverse buyer pool that buys GTI's and the like than I have ever seen. Everyone from young kids, to old retirees and everything in between. It's nuts, and also very cool.

...maybe I will be part of that pool soon...who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frisky Dingo    635
4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...maybe I will be part of that pool soon...who knows?


Can't go wrong with the GTI or the Alltrack either one. Both phenomenal little cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frisky Dingo said:


Can't go wrong with the GTI or the Alltrack either one. Both phenomenal little cars.

Yeah, hoping VW has a very good 2017...they could use something to break right for them....

Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ccap41    1,236
20 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:


Can't go wrong with the GTI or the Alltrack either one. Both phenomenal little cars.

That's kind of their problem is that is all they REALLY have going for them right now. The GTI/Jetta platform are exactly that, phenominal, but the rest of their lineup is very "meh".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frisky Dingo    635
3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's kind of their problem is that is all they REALLY have going for them right now. The GTI/Jetta platform are exactly that, phenominal, but the rest of their lineup is very "meh".

The Passat and Tiguan still find plenty of buyers. And again, they have 2 new vehicles due out in just months. They have nothing but good things coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfelt    1,872

Anddddddddd in that lays the problem. VW clearly markets to the quirky customer and seems to miss the rest of the country. They come across as a very generic, blah way too conservative auto company with nothing that stirs the passion in me.  

In fact the only thing that comes to mind is that VW I associate with the Make Love, Not War Drug using Hippies of the 60's. Auto's that are always clogging up the roads and going slow.

Where is the  "Fahrvergnügen" ? I remember my parents checking out VW in the 90's and both were Meh, just did not resonate other than a cool commercial, but the actual auto's just missed everything that the rest of the auto companies seem to hit.

Here is where I think VW has failed to realize that their German marketing program does not really work in the US. What fly's elsewhere in their larger markets seems to be what really holds them back here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfelt    1,872
2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They're just last year's VWs anyway....  bringing them over would be like VW trying to rebuild the Mercury brand in the US. 

Outstanding analogy that makes perfect sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldshurst442    1,049
1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...maybe I will be part of that pool soon...who knows?

Ya sure about that?

VeeDub sure made caca out of certain things in dat pool!

poo-in-the-pool-o.gif

Seriously though:

The Golf GTI is one incredible machine. The only reason why I cant see myself in one is because back in the day in my 20s, some of my friends at that point in time drove Golf GTIs. VR6s. Corrados too with that same engine.  I made fun of them since I was an American gung ho car guy with the pony car scene. Yeah, they in turn made fun of me for V8s and all....This was the 1990s when the Tuner car craze was hot.

In other words, I cant bring myself to own cars I made fun of back then...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      The head of Genesis, Manfred Fitzgerald reiterated that the brand would not be getting N performance models. 
      “I don’t think so right now,” he said to Motoring at the unveiling of the G70.
      We first reported that Genesis wasn't going to get any N models back in May.
      Fitzgerald's reasoning as to why Genesis will not see any N models is interesting, to say the least. He sees electrification as the equalizer on performance, making high-performance variants kind of moot as they might not be faster than the standard models.
      “Performance will not be on the same forefront of differentiator as it is today for ICEs [internal combustion engines]. Everybody is capable of doing an electric motor and putting it in a car, so the performance values will almost be the same. Nobody’s going to be interested in ‘A’ or ‘B’, so I think that will come down to a level playing field," said Fitzgerald.
      “If you look at the performance value of an electric vehicle today, there are a lot of ICEs that really struggle to keep up with that.” 
      The countless videos of Model S sedans smoking performance vehicles on the dragstrip attest to this train of thought. 
      But many will argue that outright performance is only one part of high-performance models. There is also the character, handling, and heritage these models have. Fitzgerald acknowledges this, but he sees a change incoming. One where tech and environmental concerns take the spotlight.
      “I grew up in that era… that was all right at the that time. I’m just looking forward to the future and I just don’t believe that that will still have the same power and same meaning as it did back then.”
      Genesis is working on two dedicated platforms for electric vehicles that are expected to debut in 2021 or 2022.
      Source: Motoring

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      The head of Genesis, Manfred Fitzgerald reiterated that the brand would not be getting N performance models. 
      “I don’t think so right now,” he said to Motoring at the unveiling of the G70.
      We first reported that Genesis wasn't going to get any N models back in May.
      Fitzgerald's reasoning as to why Genesis will not see any N models is interesting, to say the least. He sees electrification as the equalizer on performance, making high-performance variants kind of moot as they might not be faster than the standard models.
      “Performance will not be on the same forefront of differentiator as it is today for ICEs [internal combustion engines]. Everybody is capable of doing an electric motor and putting it in a car, so the performance values will almost be the same. Nobody’s going to be interested in ‘A’ or ‘B’, so I think that will come down to a level playing field," said Fitzgerald.
      “If you look at the performance value of an electric vehicle today, there are a lot of ICEs that really struggle to keep up with that.” 
      The countless videos of Model S sedans smoking performance vehicles on the dragstrip attest to this train of thought. 
      But many will argue that outright performance is only one part of high-performance models. There is also the character, handling, and heritage these models have. Fitzgerald acknowledges this, but he sees a change incoming. One where tech and environmental concerns take the spotlight.
      “I grew up in that era… that was all right at the that time. I’m just looking forward to the future and I just don’t believe that that will still have the same power and same meaning as it did back then.”
      Genesis is working on two dedicated platforms for electric vehicles that are expected to debut in 2021 or 2022.
      Source: Motoring
    • By William Maley
      A few weeks ago, we reported that Volkswagen wasn't planning to bring the T-Roc over to the U.S. No reason was given, but we suspected price was a key reason. At the Frankfurt Motor Show, Volkswagen's director of development, Dr. Frank Welsch confirmed the T-Roc isn't coming.
      "Let's be very clear: The T-Roc will not go to the U.S. I don't believe it's too expensive, but it's because it's a very small car. They tell us people in the U.S. expect more size for that money. It is too small. We are going to have an SUV that is even smaller than a T-Roc [the T-Cross] and it will also not go to the U.S., but will go to South America. We have the new Polo and the T-Cross in Brazil, but for North America, this car is also too small," he told Autoblog.
      That doesn't mean Volkswagen isn't planning something smaller than the Tiguan for the U.S. Welsch explained the company is working on a new model for China that will launch late next year. The model will around the size of the Tiguan Limited and feature gas and plug-in hybrid powertrains. There is talk about this vehicle coming to the U.S.
      "We are checking the feasibility of a car which is right between T-Roc and Tiguan, and this could be interesting for America," Welsch said.
      "In the U.S., you have Tiguan long wheelbase, and the other [new] one is close to what we have here in Europe as the Tiguan SWB. It's a little bit smaller than that, about the size of the old Tiguan, but new and it's off the MQB. This is the idea behind it. In China, we will have this car next year, and we are thinking whether this could be a good idea for America and Russia."
      Source: Autoblog

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      A few weeks ago, we reported that Volkswagen wasn't planning to bring the T-Roc over to the U.S. No reason was given, but we suspected price was a key reason. At the Frankfurt Motor Show, Volkswagen's director of development, Dr. Frank Welsch confirmed the T-Roc isn't coming.
      "Let's be very clear: The T-Roc will not go to the U.S. I don't believe it's too expensive, but it's because it's a very small car. They tell us people in the U.S. expect more size for that money. It is too small. We are going to have an SUV that is even smaller than a T-Roc [the T-Cross] and it will also not go to the U.S., but will go to South America. We have the new Polo and the T-Cross in Brazil, but for North America, this car is also too small," he told Autoblog.
      That doesn't mean Volkswagen isn't planning something smaller than the Tiguan for the U.S. Welsch explained the company is working on a new model for China that will launch late next year. The model will around the size of the Tiguan Limited and feature gas and plug-in hybrid powertrains. There is talk about this vehicle coming to the U.S.
      "We are checking the feasibility of a car which is right between T-Roc and Tiguan, and this could be interesting for America," Welsch said.
      "In the U.S., you have Tiguan long wheelbase, and the other [new] one is close to what we have here in Europe as the Tiguan SWB. It's a little bit smaller than that, about the size of the old Tiguan, but new and it's off the MQB. This is the idea behind it. In China, we will have this car next year, and we are thinking whether this could be a good idea for America and Russia."
      Source: Autoblog
    • By William Maley
      Another auto show season is upon us with the Frankfurt Motor Show this week. Before the doors open at the show tomorrow, Volkswagen is holding their group day preview event where the various brands roll out their debuts.
      For Volkswagen, the big debut is the I.D. Crozz II Concept. Volkswagen has made some slight changes for concept since its first showing at the Shanghai Auto Show back in the spring. The front end features a new headlight design that kind of looks like an eye. The two-tone paint comprised of red and sliver helps make the concept pop. One area that may confuse some folks are the doors. The front are hinged conventionally while the rear are sliding.
      A pair of electric motors - each mounted on an axle - are projected to produce a total output of 302 horsepower. Range stands at 311 miles (500 Kilometers). 
      Volkswagen says the production version of the I.D. Crozz will go into production in 2020 along with the regular I.D. Rumor has it that the Crozz will be the first I.D. model we see in the U.S.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2


      Volkswagen Group Night at the IAA 2017: Volkswagen brand presents the new I.D. CROZZ
      Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess: "The Volkswagen Brand will be investing 6 billion euros in electric mobility over the next five years." Further developed zero emission SUV concept vehicle offers a look forward to the production model of 2020 The countdown has begun for a breakthrough in electric mobility, and 2020 could represent the turning point. That is because the Volkswagen brand is accelerating into this new era by developing a new generation of innovative electric vehicles – the I.D.2, I.D. BUZZ3 and I.D.CROZZ. Dr Herbert Diess, Chairman of the Volkswagen Brand Board of Management, had this to say at the Volkswagen Group Night: "The Volkswagen Brand will be investing 6 billion euros in electric mobility over the next five years. Our task is to make modern technology available to many people. This is especially important in times of technological transformation. One thing is clear: The Golf of the future must once again be a people's car!"
      Traditionally, Volkswagen hosts a Group Night event on the evening before the International Motor Show (IAA) opens in Frankfurt, at which it presents its innovative new products. On this occasion, the Volkswagen brand is presenting the new I.D. CROZZ in a world premiere. The further developed electric concept vehicle is part of the electric campaign in which Volkswagen will be expanding its electric car model range – initially with three models from 2020. In 2025 the Volkswagen Brand will already be offering 23 all-electric models.
      The new I.D. CROZZ is a crossover of an SUV and a four-door coupé, which has been further improved towards a production implementation. This can be seen, for instance, in various design changes to the front and rear ends of the concept car that is painted in 'Hibiscus Red Metallic'. The I.D. CROZZ makes a powerful and masculine impression with its wide bonnet, cleanly contoured wings and roof with a high-gloss black exterior finish. The striking design of the LEDs of the headlights also point the way towards production and generate an unmistakable light graphic.
      The interior has also been re-equipped and further developed – as an Open Space – with a superior amount of space and highly versatile seating concept. B-pillars were omitted in the I.D. CROZZ, so that the large swinging and sliding doors can be opened wide, and it is even possible to transport a crossbike without any trouble.
      Always ensuring a supply of clean air in the interior, regardless of ambient conditions, is the CleanAir system that has been newly developed by Volkswagen. The menu provides information on the quality of the air in the car and on the system's current activity. In addition, the updated I.D. CROZZ is equipped with a new voice assistant, which enables opening and closing of the doors via voice command. It is also possible to activate or deactivate the fully automated driving mode 'I.D. Pilot' by voice instruction.
      The I.D. CROZZ is a sporty, zero-emission all-round vehicle that is designed to be interactive, and whose electric 4MOTION all-wheel drive system is as impressive on unpaved trails as it is in adverse weather conditions. One electric motor works at the front axle and one at the rear, and torque distribution is controlled via an 'electric propshaft'. The driving range of the SUV that outputs 225 kW (system power) and boasts a top speed of 180 km/h is up to 500 kilometres (NEDC) on one battery charge. The high-performance battery can be charged to 80% of its energy capacity in 30 minutes using a fast-charging system.
      An ideal weight distribution between the two axles is achieved by centrally integrating the battery within the I.D. CROZZ and having the two drive system units at the front and rear. This enables the new I.D. CROZZ to demonstrate handling characteristics on a par with those of a Golf GTI. Playing a significant role here are the running gear with electronically controlled dampers, a new multi-link rear suspension design and also newly developed MacPherson struts.
      The future generation of the I.D. family will extend the Volkswagen model range. In 2020, Volkswagen will already launch the compact, all-electric, four-door I.D. in the Golf segment, while launching the modern I.D. CROZZ in the SUV segment. In addition, the I.D. BUZZ – a re-interpretation of the legendary Volkswagen Bulli – will enter the market in 2022. All three I.D. concept cars share the new 'all-electric architecture' that was developed as a common platform and a completely new and avant-garde design. Other characteristics are zero-emission driving ranges up to 600 kilometres, a large amount of space, compact exterior dimensions and digitalisation of all displays and controls. In addition, the new and innovative 'vw.OS' operating system, which enables fast software updates and upgrades, will support each member of the I.D. family – in a way similar to the usual updating methods for smartphones.

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online